ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
so,

editing to add: JMO but if LE got the videos on 11.30 and asked for the public's help on 12.7

does that mean there was nothing helpful in the Troy/Kendrick videos and that's why the public's help is needed? dead end?
OR
does it imply the video confirmed what LE was thinking, and they want the info before the crime because they know the car was dumped in the Troy/Kendrick area, and the killer made his way out of there??

and does the Latah trail figure in at all? jmo imo just curious for others' opinions.

"From the toxicology, you could learn a great deal about where the decedents were during the hours before their death, what, if any, drugs they were taking, their state of mind," Dr. Michael Baden said. "Did they take drugs that could have caused them to sleep and not wake during the encounter?"

Baden's comments came in response to Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt's statements in an exclusive interview last week with Fox News Digital dismissing the tests, which had not come back from the lab yet, as irrelevant to the college killings.

Well I guess what I mean is, the police were very specific in not disclosing ANY information about the license plate. For example, an ‘unknown license plate’ could be any one of the following:

no visible license plate; Idaho plate, but no visibly identifiable alpha-numeric characters; Idaho plate with partial alpha-numeric match; out of state plate with no visibly identifiable alpha-numeric characters; out of state plate with partial alpha-numeric match

The investigators, of course, know which category of ‘unknown license plate’ is applicable to the vehicle in question. So by not disclosing that info, it’s clear that they do not wish the public to have that info, otherwise they
would have disclosed it already.
IMO I think if LE had a partial, they'd release that because it would sure narrow the field AND if they had a partial, they'd be able to further reduce their search from 22,000 white Elantras to white Elantras with the specific numbers or letters included. 10 different numbers (if Idaho uses zeros) and 26 letters, and narrowing to Elantras with the combinations would really be important if LE had it IMO.

editing to add: Idaho does use zero but does not use the letter O, so 25 letters potentially.

and for those who want to nerd out (that's a compliment, and I include myself in this group):

Last edited:
About the white Hyundai, in the very high profile Washington, D.C., sniper case in October, 2002, the wanted vehicle was a white van driven by two mid-30s white men. This was developed by interviewing multiple witnesses. In the end, it was a dark sedan that was the vehicle used in the series of crimes, and the two criminals were an older man and a teenager. I keep an open mind on the Hyundai and its driver being of value or not.

Also, there was some speculation in the thread about a drug delivery, and maybe the driver would come forward. In a country where "anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law," would a guy making a drug delivery be able to trust the police not to process him if he walked into the station and said, "I was driving that car"? The local police could take the statement, and then the county or the state police could decide to do a follow-up interview for other purposes and make an arrest based upon his volunteered testimony -- which he would have made to assist in the investigation. No one in their right mind would do that to themselves. They would simply hope to remain invisible.

Can you guys think of another high profile case where LE was looking for a car? I thought of the DC Sniper and how LE was looking for a Box Truck. Any others? I'd like to review how the other cases panned out. For DC Sniper - it was the wrong vehicle.
Delphi Case, they were looking for a car parked at the old CPS building.

Not sure why I am harping on this. But, I believe with all the video and the enhancements of the video possible by the FBI that they very likely have knowledge about the plate or lack thereof. So many options there from paper plate, purposefully obscured plate, stolen plate, etc.

But, I also wonder if they are truly able to do this enhancement from the video they have, do they have a profile of the occupant or occupants?

There is an example of deblurring an image in the article. The article includes definitions and examples of several different image enhancement methods.

Delphi Case, they were looking for a car parked at the old CPS building.
Can you guys think of another high profile case where LE was looking for a car? I thought of the DC Sniper and how LE was looking for a Box Truck. Any others? I'd like to review how the other cases panned out. For DC Sniper - it was the wrong vehicle.
I have mentioned this case here a few times. It is heartbreaking. Elizabeth Barazza. She was having a garage sale outside her home in Houston. Someone drove up in a truck, got out and ran up and shot her point blank. IT IS ALL ON VIDEO. And happened in 2019 and there has NEVER been an arrest or suspect named. New videos released in ambush murder of Tomball woman

There is an example of deblurring an image in the article. The article includes definitions and examples of several different image enhancement methods.
Thank you for linking that. That is awesome.

Joseph Scott Morgan said that a knife would cause either a stab or a slice wound. The coroner did not perform the autopsies and would likely not be familiar with the correct terminology.
Question? You mention that the coroner did not perform the autopsies. Do you know who did? How does Joseph Scott Morgan fit in? I CAN'T VERIFY but saw once briefly in a news clip that the coroner is an RN and an attorney. Did any one else see it? IMHO It seems that LE would prefer a Medical Examiner/MD/Pathologist for a case of this magnitude. Thank you. Like many of us, I have spent hours going through news, press releases, and social media and there has been quite a bit of conflicting and mixed information coming from all sources. I'm just trying to clarify.

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

The Report feature is for members to alert us to violations of Websleuths Terms of Service, not to have us fact-checking all the minute details of every single case. WS has hundreds of alerts that our very few volunteer staff have to stick-handle every single day. We can not possibly know all the minute details of every case, and we do not have time to correct misinformation that may crop up in the various threads.

While rumors are a violation of TOS, simple misinformation or a misstatement of fact is not. If misinformation creeps into the thread, please just correct it on the thread through respectful discussion, supported by links to the correct details.

Also a reminder that, as part of victimology, discussion of KNOWN victim behavior as fact is fine as long as it isn’t accompanied with judgmental commentary or negative connotation or negative speculation that constitutes victim shaming or blaming (i.e. drugs or other illegal activity is not a KNOWN and is not allowed).

And please forego the virtual signalling. The discussion isn’t about us or our own perfect values.

Thanks !!

Gray Hughes has a video depiction of the crime from the killer's perspective from walking through the house. The last 8 minutes are simply terrifying to consider.

SG said the killer didn't have to go up the steps to get to Kaylee and Maddie; thereby, implying E&X were attacked first. If E&X were the targets, the killers job would have been done and no need to go upstairs.

After learning more about their injuries, where KG suffered "torn" injuries; not all were "stab wounds", I'm wondering exactly what type of edge weapon was used that tore through tissue. Killer was strong. Initially, I was settled on a serrated KA BAR but I'm walking that back a bit based on new data on the injuries. What type edge weapon would tear through human tissue?

moo

A knife that wasn't as sharp by the hilt as it was nearer the tip? I guess this because I had someone sharpen a big kitchen knife for chopping and only the top 3/4's wound up with a good sharp edge to it. The back end had the onions sticking to it instead of cutting through them.

Question? You mention that the coroner did not perform the autopsies. Do you know who did? How does Joseph Scott Morgan fit in? I CAN'T VERIFY but saw once briefly in a news clip that the coroner is an RN and an attorney. Did any one else see it? IMHO It seems that LE would prefer a Medical Examiner/MD/Pathologist for a case of this magnitude. Thank you. Like many of us, I have spent hours going through news, press releases, and social media and there has been quite a bit of conflicting and mixed information coming from all sources. I'm just trying to clarify.
this article says the Spokane county medical examiner performed the autopsies

here is the coroner's bio on the county website

No hilt. So doubt it, JMO
I mean the blade, not the exact knife. Maybe it’s possible this type of knife could be made with a hilt? (Although I couldn’t find an example online.)
Not sure why I am harping on this. But, I believe with all the video and the enhancements of the video possible by the FBI that they very likely have knowledge about the plate or lack thereof. So many options there from paper plate, purposefully obscured plate, stolen plate, etc.

But, I also wonder if they are truly able to do this enhancement from the video they have, do they have a profile of the occupant or occupants?

I think they have a side shot from the car that passed Linda Lane, so no plate. They may have a plate image from the car that passed by the gas station…which would be relevant only if that’s the same car.

The autopsies were performed by a Medical Examiner in Spokane, Washington.

The car, which Francetich described as both "white" and "light colored," traveled west on Taylor Road sometime between 2:45 a.m. and 3:15 a.m., he said. Only a side view of the car is visible in the footage.

From the camera facing Taylor Road the number plate was not visible. There might have been prior footage of the car.

ETA: Is there any report of the white car traveling down Taylor Road in the opposite direction?

Linda-Lane-map.jpg

Last edited:
You're correct regarding the particular room. From the police release (BBM):

During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal Services and released to a responsible person.

While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place.
Ok that last part implies something makes LE think Murphy may not have been in that room while the murders were committed but placed there afterwards. He could have been let out at some point before the murders even or by tge killer and then when the killer was done he let him back in and put him in the empty bedroom.

I have always believed that the Killer went up that path to Walenta Drive. It provides the perfect seclusion and leads to a much more residential neighborhood away from the carousing and late night movement of the college scene. Initially I believed that the killer lived up in that area,went home, cleaned up, etc. However, having the car there for an escape makes sense. The killer is crazy, but not stupid. Has experience.
I agree, being that close would be an easy get away. Also, the car could simply have driven into a garage and never been a cause for alarm as that is where it typically was kept.
If they took off a local could be familiar with local cameras and driven rural until farther away before entering the hwy

JMO

Ok that last part implies something makes LE think Murphy may not have been in that room while the murders were committed but placed there afterwards. He could have been let out at some point before the murders even or by tge killer and then when the killer was done he let him back in and put him in the empty bedroom.

Personally, I don’t think that it implies that. I think that LE is simply trying to be precise about what they say and don’t say.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member