ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were there but likely those who were there were underage roommates. Looked like one answered the door
I don’t think any of the housemates were there, doesn’t someone have to ring Maddie to get the house under control, you wouldn’t ring someone who is already at the house to tell them to quiet the house down. LE asks to speak to a resident of the home & the person answered that there were no residents currently at the home. I find this really odd, I personally haven’t been to a party whilst the people who resided there weren’t home. MOO

LE was looking for it in Troy and Kendrick - 35 minutes away.
Yes and what I really was hoping for is someone saw someone cleaning their car interior, vacuuming, wiping down, etc. if they weren't somewhere in the boonies in the night trying to do it.

No light in the boonies and a flashlight wouldn't be sufficient to see and clean. He'd want to make sure not a trace left behind even if changed clothes. He only had a couple hours until daylight.

<modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were a detective on this case, how would you begin to investigate it?

Maybe there is a common denominator in this case? If Xana and Maddie both worked at the restaurant, then maybe that is it. Could it be a disgruntled employee or a regular customer? Other than the usual people like neighbors and close friends and relatives, that is where I would start to investigate this case.
That's a great question. I honestly have no idea. I mean I can imagine any murder case is difficult, but the fact that there were four victims and that the murders were so brutal has to make this even more difficult. There just seems like there is so much that LE has to deal with. It has to be overwhelming.

Someone could have been angry at the house and in turn the kids that lived there and the ones that visited, non-distinguishable from one another. The house represented a lifestyle and the people that lived it could definitely have become a target, collectively. What makes a hateful person advance to physical violence is a very subjective and therefore a relative thing...especially if that person has mental illness. I think killing 4 young people in the night, in their beds with a knife screams of some kind of illness of the mind.
In response to your statement, IMO the offender definitely acted like a violent psychopath who may or may not have underlying issues, as well.
I heard a profiler early on say that we can not easily ferret out motive because the mind of this killer, like others of his ilk, is deranged. He said they just don’t think like we do.

I get that and agree. JMO

Last edited:
So, things may be different than when i was in school, but back then everything was very cliquish. You had little groups of people that basically were in their little universe and no one else was welcome. Myself, I was in fraternity and greek life people tended to hangout with others in the greek community. There were people that weren't in the greek community that resented them and honestly some greeks looked down on non members. Maybe someone resented the victims for being in that community. Maybe someone felt left out. Maybe someone felt disrespected. Jealousy and being shunned can be powerful motivators. MOO.

I'm with you. I think people are trying to make this case WAY more complicated than it is.
If this case was not complicated it probably would have been solved by now.

If this was a crime of passion directed toward one person by someone close to them, then yes, it would not be that complex and we would expect an arrest soon.

But from the beginning LE has said that this will be a lengthy investigation.

That they do not have a suspect could mean the killer is not someone any of the victims knew well.

Also, the suspect does not seem to be a disorganized killer, since apparently they left very little evidence behind.

There must have been a certain degree of planning, both before and after the murders.

Many times it seems as if the killer puts a lot more thought into the murders than they do the cover up. Hopefully this is the case here and the killer made some mistakes.

I made the mistake this afternoon of reading content from "unapproved sources". It gave me a new appreciation for the moderators on Websleuths who do not allow rumors and speculation to be discussed on this forum. I also understand why they don't allow people to be named by name on here since they are not actually suspects identified by police. There are people whose names will be forever linked to this case on the internet when it may turn out that they had no involvement whatsoever.
I believe there are also legal obligations to maintain order
Clean up is an assumption. Peter Porco wore a painter overall while he attacked his parents with multiple axe blows - while they slept. Gloves and protective suit make cleanup easy. This was targeted, planned, pre-meditated. The suspect probably kept the knife not only because it is a tool, but because it is a trophy with memories.

The suspect could have stepped outside, removed gloves and overalls, put them into a plastic bag, sticking the knife into the dirt while walking away, and been long gone before the other 2 tenants woke up. The car ... it looks like the only mistake by the murderer, and clue. CCTV
To me, it appears as you say. Someone familiar with the home. Had a very clear purpose. I suggest he lived outside the university community. The victims may have revealed the suspect in a way that the suspect needed to take immediate revenge (like making a internal assertion that nobody gets away with ... from me). This was not a passive act but one from a background where this level of violence is expected response appropriate for them to do when they feel violated or exposed or taken for a fool or simply not respectfully accommodating strict control of their relationship. That is what it appears that someone was involved in something that resulted in this response from the suspect

If this case was not complicated it probably would have been solved by now.

If this was a crime of passion directed toward one person by someone close to them, then yes, it would not be that complex and we would expect an arrest soon.

But from the beginning LE has said that this will be a lengthy investigation.

That they do not have a suspect could mean the killer is not someone any of the victims knew well.

Also, the suspect does not seem to be a disorganized killer, since apparently they left very little evidence behind.

There must have been a certain degree of planning, both before and after the murders.

Many times it seems as if the killer puts a lot more thought into the murders than they do the cover up. Hopefully this is the case here and the killer made some mistakes.
I believe your instincts are on the right path. However, planning can take the stages of an anticipated tentative response should the victims trigger or cross a line. I believe this is a revenge type murder for having crossed confidentiality or something that made the suspect feel threatened.

I've been thinking about bloody footprints as someone mentioned upthread... He had to leave footprints. It would be impossible not to, unless he smeared his own footprints behind him before leaving.

Douglas Garland wore a hazmat suit, planned to the tilt - didn't leave a spot of DNA or one hair but he still left bloody footprints even tried mopping IIRC.

Even if booties were used, with that much blood I'd think possible an impression from weight bearing (foot or shoe)... I'm not sure there's a way to NOT leave a trail unless he cleaned his shoes/feet before leaving somehow (water/sink/hose).

I recently hand dyed fabric as organized and careful as I was - I still made more a mess than expected with drips, spills, stains, etc. I'm sure this guy left DNA or something trace behind, seems impossible not to!

Last edited:
I believe the reason
There was no *trigger*. The killings were planned ahead of time. I don't see the victims as *personal* targets per se....just vulnerable targets to satisfy the urge to kill. Did the killer know exactly how many ahead of time? Hard to say, but I don't see this as relevant in this case. It was a crime of opportunity. Well planned by a very capable killer.
The fact that case remains *cold* shows a killer who knows how to evade LE. MOO.
I believe, the reason it appears targeted is because the car was observed going to the home and shortly after the murders occured. It was not several hours of surveillance or opportunistic approaches. It was done with purpose. A strike and run behavior.

So, things may be different than when i was in school, but back then everything was very cliquish. You had little groups of people that basically were in their little universe and no one else was welcome. Myself, I was in fraternity and greek life people tended to hangout with others in the greek community. There were people that weren't in the greek community that resented them and honestly some greeks looked down on non members. Maybe someone resented the victims for being in that community. Maybe someone felt left out. Maybe someone felt disrespected. Jealousy and being shunned can be powerful motivators. MOO.
That makes sense.
Could be a group that targeted them, possibly?
Not necessarily from their college orgs but possibly from other related activities, like games or extra curricular activities?

Speaking of games, was there not one on around the time of the mass murders?
I know zero about games so wondering if it was significant for it's size or for any other reason?

who was the opposing team and where were they from and did they bring supporters?

I agree. I just don't get how the 2 alive roommates are reported by LE to come home around 1am and yet by 11:30am still no call to 911. Like these 2 alive roommates stayed in separate bedrooms and their sleep and awake behavior was as if they were one. Like "Let's go to sleep at same time, let's wake up late morning same time, let's summon friends cause something is not right with other 3 roommates"...something is bizarre and not adding up. Did one roommate wake up and start cleaning up party trash and then notice a smell or something then wake other live roommate? If the killer is on the loose, why are police acting like killer is dead...a nonthreat. Why is UI staff not demanding answers?
Exactly. And if I were a roommate in the house and awoke to silence - especially after calling out their names or trying to open a door…and came upon a scene which looked frightening and alarming…I’d think the person responsible may still be INSIDE OF THE HOME. Apparently none of them “cleared” the home before calling support (friends) to come over and try to wake the sleeping or unconscious roomates? Did they see any blood? Did they actually find them much EARLIER in the morning - but wait to call the police out of fear? Did they think drugs or fentanyl was involved? Did they suspect an intruder? The whole thing seems so shady and sketchy. JMOHO

How about this for food for thought. What if the Hyundai Elantra was a car that was serviced at a garage or a used car that was for sale at a dealership? Killer may have had access to the car and took extra precautions to make sure no blood was left inside the vehicle. He may feel the garage or dealership is isolated enough that there would be no camera evidence that ties the car to the business. Just thinking outside the box here.

I believe the reason

I believe, the reason it appears targeted is because the car was observed going to the home and shortly after the murders occured. It was not several hours of surveillance or opportunistic approaches. It was done with purpose. A strike and run behavior.
Was it though?

I could be wrong but I assumed the vehicle was seen in the vicinity of the residence.
Not necessarily moving at all.
Possibly a young or old or any couple parked up for some intimacy who may have seen nothing at all except for each other.. I speculate...

Exactly. And if I were a roommate in the house and awoke to silence - especially after calling out their names or trying to open a door…and came upon a scene which looked frightening and alarming…I’d think the person responsible may still be INSIDE OF THE HOME. Apparently none of them “cleared” the home before calling support (friends) to come over and try to wake the sleeping or unconscious roomates? Did they see any blood? Did they actually find them much EARLIER in the morning - but wait to call the police out of fear? Did they think drugs or fentanyl was involved? Did they suspect an intruder? The whole thing seems so shady and sketchy. JMOHO
It looked like the CSI team was working around something in the living room, photographing, etc. A camera crew was filming thru the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get