ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just rereading the police update which doesn't really have any new information. But it really struck me how they are emphasizing a request for photos, videos and social media from the night, rather than just asking for tips or information about the night. Especially since they also emphasize that they don't care about the background activities (by which I assume they mean illegal activities that kids might not want to bring to LE attention). It seems like it would be easier to get someone to just say "I saw XYZ happen when I was at the party" without needing to mention that they were drinking underage or whatever. But they really seem to be seeking visual evidence. Is this just because visual evidence is more reliable? Or are they looking to see something specific? JMO
I think you might have an angle here Which_pancake.

LE has footage of K & M leaving the club and them at the grub truck and ring camera footage of the ride share vehicle returning them home and text message between them and J.

Then LE really maybe don't have enough photos of that night:- espeicially emphasizing they want videos and social media. What are they looking for in these photos - is it X & E ????? or the POI???

Maybe a person's Alabi or whereabouts isn't established and they want more visual evidence of this persons whereabouts to establish a timeline or plausibility of their story, maybe there is missing gaps?? MOO

I think, in order to do that, one must find someone that the leasor, approves of to take over your portion of the lease and sign a new lease.

I think you are correct.

At the end of the day, the Still on the Lease, but not truly a Leasor individual is very likely a common reflection of the transitory nature of college living conditions and perhaps a loss of interest in the "every weekend is a potential party weekend" life style.

In the end, college students as a whole are probably not known for up to date paperwork regarding leases and landlords renting to them are probably not sticklers regarding terms- so long as they get paid and the substitute person is not radiating "bad news" vibes.

I was just rereading the police update which doesn't really have any new information. But it really struck me how they are emphasizing a request for photos, videos and social media from the night, rather than just asking for tips or information about the night. Especially since they also emphasize that they don't care about the background activities (by which I assume they mean illegal activities that kids might not want to bring to LE attention). It seems like it would be easier to get someone to just say "I saw XYZ happen when I was at the party" without needing to mention that they were drinking underage or whatever. But they really seem to be seeking visual evidence. Is this just because visual evidence is more reliable? Or are they looking to see something specific? JMO
Their specific request for photos makes me think that someone they've interviewed has mentioned seeing something on someone's Snapchat or IG story/close friends, etc.. I'm sure they have to know that people were snapping the whole night and want people to come forward with theirs.

My daughter went to Clarkson University. Her Jr & Senior yrs were in an apartment off campus, but considered campus housing. (Confusing, I know) Her loans + our parent plus loans covered her apartment & living expenses. They would have covered it even if the apartment wasn't considered campus housing. IMOO through ME with 2 daughters.. You can use loan $ for expenses while at college. Including car expenses to & from school, housing, food, utilities, laptops, etc. It just means you'll have higher loans after graduation.

Yes, I'm well aware. Students, once they get their loan checks, can spend them on whatever they want (as long as tuition and fees are paid - which is usually taken out before they see the rest).

That's why, at loan disbursement time, you see students entering into leases, buying cars, etc (and promising themselves they will save the rest for the next month's payments).

I never said you can't use loans for living expenses.

My point is that federally insured loan programs only fund X numbers of units per student (rectified by certain programs called "high unit majors" - but the major has to meet federal requirements). Most loans are federally insured (not all, though). High units majors include nursing, some forms of engineering, etc. Everything else is capped (strictly) at 120 units per person.

I have to sign, under penalty of perjury, that I certify to the federal government that a failing student at least attended class. Right now, there's talk of making us (the professors) even more accountable for making sure students attend (!)

Student loan disbursements happen twice a semester - almost no one is dropped before the first disbursement, because it is early. But we are strongly encouraged (by the feds/accreditation) to drop students (if the school allows it - many don't) if they are not attending (that's considered fraud by the feds - it's being prosecuted more and more, and it's devastating to the unwary student).

Students in general can use their "living expense" part of the loan for anything they want (which, where I teach, is mostly cars - it helps that most still live at home).

If I were the 6th person on the lease and didn't live there I would want to have my name removed from the lease. I would not want to be held responsible for any damages, etc to a place where I didn't live. moo
IMOO that is not normally an option; unless you are willing to pay a large amount for breaking your lease.

About the lease on the house. Is it possible that rather than the group signing a combined lease or one person being the sole signer, could have each occupant signed an individual lease for their individual bedroom. So if there are 6 bedrooms that would mean 6 leases. With students moving in and out, it makes sense that way. Actually it would also possibly mean more rental income for home owner. Just a thought.
Here is as much as I can figure out about the 1122 Kings Rd. lease. I can't tell whether sub-leases were allowed.

Known as a student rental, the home’s most recent tenants were a group of six University of Idaho undergraduates who signed a 12-month lease that began on June 5, according to the property management firm that oversees the home.

The tenants were Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, Bethany Funke and Dylan Mortensen, as well as an unnamed sixth person on the lease.

The King Road home’s six bedrooms had at one time been rented as separate apartments, according to McClanahan, with the property management firm.
“Primarily for the last 12 years, it has been rented as one unit as a single-family home,” McClanahan said.

All of the tenants except the sixth unnamed person on the lease, who police said had moved out before the start of the school year, were home at the time of the Nov. 13 attack.

Last edited:
Without knowing who is the target in this case or the order in which the murders were committed, it is hard to conclude anything. Some behavioral profilers have thought Kaylee was the target due to wounding, but if someone had followed her to the house to kill her, then why murder Xana and Ethan downstairs?

Ethan Chapin and Kaylee Goncalves were both at the house due to circumstance. Ethan was with Xana in her room on the 2nd floor and Kaylee was back visiting with Maddie in Maddie's room on the 3rd floor.

If police are looking for a white car they think the killer possibly drove, does that mean the killer checked the front door near the driveway before walking around the home to go in through the sliding glass door? Many people tend to go out the way they came in so was there blood on the door the killer exited from?

If the killer went directly for the sliding glass door, yet you cannot see the back of the house directly, then maybe it was someone who either parked in a lot next to the back sliding door or could see the back sliding door from their home? With the blood evidence and scent dogs, were police able to determine a direction the killer went after the crime?

Could it be two people who committed this crime together? Then there might be two knifes used instead of one. There are a lot of questions in this case.

Their specific request for photos makes me think that someone they've interviewed has mentioned seeing something on someone's Snapchat or IG story/close friends, etc.. I'm sure they have to know that people were snapping the whole night and want people to come forward with theirs.
Common request by investigators after most any similar size and type of tragedy. Someone may have “unknowingly” captured something critical. That is what they are searching for a sourcing through various video footage. JMOO

Here is as much as I can figure out about the 1122 Kings Rd. lease. I can't tell whether sub-leases were allowed.
Known as a student rental, the home’s most recent tenants were a group of six University of Idaho undergraduates who signed a 12-month lease that began on June 5, according to the property management firm that oversees the home.

The tenants were Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, Bethany Funke and Dylan Mortensen, as well as an unnamed sixth person on the lease.

The King Road home’s six bedrooms had at one time been rented as separate apartments, according to McClanahan, with the property management firm.
“Primarily for the last 12 years, it has been rented as one unit as a single-family home,” McClanahan said.

All of the tenants except the sixth unnamed person on the lease, who police said had moved out before the start of the school year, were home at the time of the Nov. 13 attack.

So all known signed tenants were females, correct? Could be an important factor in why or how the home was first targeted. JMOO.

Common request by investigators after most any similar size and type of tragedy. Someone may have “unknowingly” captured something critical. That is what they are searching for a sourcing through various video footage. JMOO
exactly...you never know what could be in the background at any given time. Makes me think about that guy who was saved from a murder charge by the slight chance that a tv broadcast of the game he attended at the time of the murder just so happen to show the crowd, in the section he was in..

Without knowing who is the target in this case or the order in which the murders were committed, it is hard to conclude anything. Some behavioral profilers have thought Kaylee was the target due to wounding, but if someone had followed her to the house to kill her, then why murder Xana and Ethan downstairs?

Ethan Chapin and Kaylee Goncalves were both at the house due to circumstance. Ethan was with Xana in her room on the 2nd floor and Kaylee was back visiting with Maddie in Maddie's room on the 3rd floor.

If police are looking for a white car they think the killer possibly drove, does that mean the killer checked the front door near the driveway before walking around the home to go in through the sliding glass door? Many people tend to go out the way they came in so was there blood on the door the killer exited from?

If the killer went directly for the sliding glass door, yet you cannot see the back of the house directly, then maybe it was someone who either parked in a lot next to the back sliding door or could see the back sliding door from their home? With the blood evidence and scent dogs, were police able to determine a direction the killer went after the crime?

Could it be two people who committed this crime together? Then there might be two knifes used instead of one. There are a lot of questions in this case.
Or…perhaps the killer just walked to their home, and then returned by walking back to his home using the same route? In that environment, after shedding the protective layer…he’d never draw suspicion in a fishbowl of student housing. JMOO.

exactly...you never know what could be in the background at any given time. Makes me think about that guy who was saved from a murder charge by the slight chance that a tv broadcast of the game he attended at the time of the murder just so happen to show the crowd, in the section he was in..
Wow!! I recall that piece of miraculous film footage! Fully exonerated him…when most similar types of footage is usually used to charge someone! I’m hoping the students realize the immense value in their video footage and willingly send it to the investigation teams. JMOO

I know when LE is looking for sightings of a missing person, like a runaway teen for example, they really like cell photos more than just verbal accounts.

I think it is easier to verify it is really that missing person so they don't go on wild goose chases over a misidentified person.

Yes, I'm well aware. Students, once they get their loan checks, can spend them on whatever they want (as long as tuition and fees are paid - which is usually taken out before they see the rest).

That's why, at loan disbursement time, you see students entering into leases, buying cars, etc (and promising themselves they will save the rest for the next month's payments).

I never said you can't use loans for living expenses.

My point is that federally insured loan programs only fund X numbers of units per student (rectified by certain programs called "high unit majors" - but the major has to meet federal requirements). Most loans are federally insured (not all, though). High units majors include nursing, some forms of engineering, etc. Everything else is capped (strictly) at 120 units per person.

I have to sign, under penalty of perjury, that I certify to the federal government that a failing student at least attended class. Right now, there's talk of making us (the professors) even more accountable for making sure students attend (!)

Student loan disbursements happen twice a semester - almost no one is dropped before the first disbursement, because it is early. But we are strongly encouraged (by the feds/accreditation) to drop students (if the school allows it - many don't) if they are not attending (that's considered fraud by the feds - it's being prosecuted more and more, and it's devastating to the unwary student).

Students in general can use their "living expense" part of the loan for anything they want (which, where I teach, is mostly cars - it helps that most still live at home).
I'm sorry, I never ment to impy you didn't understand this. I should have explained that I was basically piggybacking off of your comment.; for those wondering how she was paying for her housing, expenses & a car... which it Only MHO.
edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members