ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wowza, I can’t be sure (because I’m no expert) but those burn out marks look like a vehicle leaving the area.
I’m sure there are others who would know better than I do.
It also sorta looks like the separation between the 2 marks would be from a bigger car/truck etc.
I agree, also leaving at a very high rate of speed to leave marks like that..who did Kaylee's sister talk to who claimed to have driven them home?

1. Guns are traceable for the most part and can be used specifically in signature forensics a lot easier than a knife. So, if LE ever found the gun that was used: you’ll find the killer as well. Also, silencers aren’t like in the movies: they’re still rather loud and don’t muffle all the noise.

2. The act of killing with a gun is way less gruesome and way less personal than overpowering someone and plunging a knife in
their chest and watching the life leave their eyes through exsanguination.

3. Because it’s literally just as easy to obtain a gun as it is a knife, this must speak to the psychological profile of someone who decides to kill 4 other people in that manner: It’s obviously not just about wanting to kill— (that can be managed several other ways that are less personal and less messy; i.e. Guns, a house fire, etc…) it’s the manner in which this person did it and that’s also probably why the FBI and the Behavioral Units have been called because of the brutality of the crimes and the nature of the murders.

4. I’m assuming the Medical Examiner will also be able to ascertain if there was more than one killer by the signature of the knife wounds— if all of them are mostly consistent: it’s probably just one killer. I think it’s also just one perpetrator because it takes a special kind of killer to murder this way and finding a buddy to do it with you creates many more possibilities of problems.

5. I agree that it was probably random and IMO, I think it’s a Thrill Killer which is a serial killer subtype also as evidenced by the FBI on scene. These types of killers can obtain sexual gratification just by the act of killing, so there still could be a sexual component to the crimes, just not in the normal sphere of most killers.
1. Agreed if a rifled barrel (as opposed to a smoothbore shotgun) was used but it is reasonably easy to disassemble a gun and heave the barrel into the void (and there are always voids to hide things). Pistol barrels are only 3-4 inches of metal.

2. Totally agree 100%. If the killer chose a blade then they wanted silence and they felt comfortable enough with it but they may have only had that weapon available at the moment they decided to kill.

3. I live in one of the most gun-friendly states in the union and I disagree with this statement. I don't live in Idaho but I assume they do background checks and/or waiting period. Knives don't have that hang up and you can order them on the internet with a click. I would suspect that most males in more rural areas carry a fixed blade in their car/truck or a tire iron or something. I have four boys all 20-30 and they all have carried and do carry a knife. Using a knife to kill four people is no small feat though suggesting intense anger or aggression. Pulling a trigger takes 3 lbs to kill - stabbing is a very physical exertion and killing four with multiple stab wounds.

4. Agreed - highly unlikely to be multiple killers.

5. I think you are onto something here. This is maybe someone who was a ticking bomb one of the victims set off. The police I believe stated no assault but that isn't to say there isn't semen or other bodily fluids (or bite marks Mr Bundy).

I've been thinking about what led LE to believe they were 'targeted'

Maybe there was a message/note left with the victims.

Just a thought I've had and is jmo
Maybe they angered the untraceable subcontracted rideshare driver who killed them. Why is he untraceable? You guess. He will never be found but they will find out the owner of the car and and do their best IMHOO

There's not enough information on this case yet. It's very unlikely, but I keep wondering if this was a mistaken house/identity situation. From the little info we have, it seems like it was cold, calculated, quick. One on four would rely on the element of surprise. Almost seems like an "example" killing.

The manner of it gives a chilling insight into the person that did it.

Again, too early to tell. We'll likely be getting more information soon.

All MOO.

I agree. I think the killer wasn’t familiar with the layout. IMO they entered through the sliding glass door on second floor. Even if he/she looked down the stairs they probably would’ve thought it was just an entry to basement.
I also agree with you. I think it was someone who knew what rooms belonged to each of the victims. I think if it was random the two survivors on the first floor would be the most likely be victims as well. Strange would try each room as they came to it. Someone familiar with the victims would go straight to the rooms of the people they are looking for.

I was looking at the police logs from tht night someone posted in the last thread. Looks like there was a dog loose and picked up that morning by animal control. I wonder if it's possible that the killer came in before everyone got home. Left the door open, the dog escaped. So when the girls got home, the dog was MIA and they started frantically calling J to come help find him? Or alternatively the dog ran off after they let him out? I'm completely convinced the girls were awake when this all started if that's a case. As a dog parent, I'd never be able to fall asleep if my dog was out late at night.

My opinion/theory/thinking only as always
Jumping in and out so this may have been discussed, but what is the status of the victim’s dog? I’ve read they let the dog out when they got home. Was the dog let back in? Is there any evidence the dog mentioned above that was picked up by animal control belongs to the victims or was it a random, unrelated dog? Is the dog missing, was it found running loose, in a fenced backyard, chained outside or was it in the house when police arrived? Was it injured?

There’s been a lot if speculation that the dog would have barked/attacked had it been in the house. But this was a typical college house where lots of visitors come and go, and parties/music/noise was common. Most likely a dog in a house like that is used to strangers and noise and probably quite friendly. It’s entirely possible the intruder was able to easily lead the dog to a different part the house (assuming it wasn’t already on the lower floor) and carry on. To me it doesn’t necessarily mean the dog was drugged or knew the killer.

Do we know the dog’s breed?

So the sister says she tracked down the girls' uber driver and spoke to them. The police say they got home via "private party" and Uber says they have no record of the girls using their service that night.

The most likely answer is that they used another ride-sharing service and by private party the police just mean not via foot or public transportation. The sister may have said "Uber" since some people use Uber and ride-share as synonymous, even though they technically are not. Could have been Lyft or some other company.

If they didn't use a ride-share then I'm not sure who the sister spoke to.
and why? MOO

No offense, but IMO this sounds more like an imaginative character in a book or movie than a profile. In real life, 99.999...% of gun and knife enthusiasts and hunters are not criminals. They like guns and knives and hunting, and probably people! That is a big haystack in which to look for a small needle.

IMO, and lots of discussion about this in the previous thread, the wounds do not seem consistent with any kind of military or combat training. Stabbing a sleeping person in the torso speaks much more as a novice or angry person.

IMO and many great posts on this last night: Hunters and fishers use knives very differently, delicately, precisely to dress and clean their game. Totally different.

Edit to add: How do you know the perp brought the knife?

Just going by stereotypes, that it’s not tremendously likely that a house full of girls will have a Ka-bar knife lying around ready to be picked up by some violent stranger, in the dark.

Sounds much more believable to me that someone who ended up murdering four people brought a weapon with him.

All possibilities should be considered, of course.

MOO

There are only two ways I can imagine being able to kill four people with a knife - one is if they're all in close quarters and it's a real fight but for the other two roommates to have slept through it and some of the victims to have been found in their beds makes me doubt that's what happened.

The other way is moving from sleeping victim to sleeping victim. Presumably the couple would have been in the same room though so my current speculative scenario is that the killer caught one of the couple outside of the bedroom. Bathroom maybe. That would be the one who wasn't in bed and also who had obvious defensive wounds. Once that was done I imagine they stealthily moved from bed to bed.

Now if the two roommates weren't home when the bodies were discovered - who discovered them? This leads me to suspect that there were lots of people in and out of the house, which wouldn't be unusual for a house like that.

I don't really find it suspicious that the "first floor" roommates could have been completely unaware either. The way that house seems to have been built, the killer might not have even known that floor was there and I don't think the residents of the floor would have necessarily even gone up to the upper floors at all - and if they did, probably just into a kitchen at most and down a hall out the entryway. Do we have a floorplan? I should probably look at the media thread.
Great post....I agree that this is how the perpetrator pulled it off.

My only question if K and M were calling J because they were spooked/thought they heard something, etc., if they were wanting a guy to come over and check it out, why not notify E who was a guy already in the house? MSM has said in the timeline that he and X were back at the house at 1:45 and we don't have reason to believe they left again. Even if he was already asleep at almost 2:30, if the girls felt in danger or scared, that would be a good reason to call him and wake him up (if they didn't want to leave their bedroom). So why call J? MOO

And now seeing the comments from her sister about her repeatedly calling people even over mundane stuff, I personally think the calls to J are benign and not related to the murders.

Last edited:
Seems strange since I believe it was just a day before Kaylee posted a pic of the group together saying how lucky they were to be roommates.
Not saying it applies in this case, but everyone's got a few friends with too-good-to-be-true social media presences that doesn't match what you know is going on in their lives.

Maybe they angered the untraceable subcontracted rideshare driver who killed them. Why is he untraceable? You guess. He will never be found but they will find out the owner of the car and and do their best IMHOO
But if he wasn't an Uber employee, how would he know they the girls had requested a ride? Just a lucky guess? Rando driver sees drunk girl on her phone and decided to pounce?

I suppose it’s possible to be stabbed in the night and be taken so off-guard that you don’t see or remember your attacker’s face. Interesting thought — did the killer have a mask on?

I wonder if the killer knew them and got to the house before they came back. They could have let the dog out so it would not bark and wake anyone up. If the killer knew them the dog would be comfortable with the person so they could have let the dog out with no problem and then went to a spot they picked to wait for them to come home.

Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member