ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 41 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
believe it was stated in press conference the order came from the county prosecutor's office. In previous cases (i.e. Parkland) the scene has been maintained for a jury viewing.
I don't recall it being said which court issued the order or who requested the court to issue the order. I would imagine to preserve it for a jury to see would be impractical as it will be months before this even gets before a jury and could possibly be a couple of years if it's a death penalty case. JMO but there must be another reason.
moo

It's possible, but that would be lightning fast for a genealogical DNA hit. I take anonymous sources with a grain of salt.
I'm guessing that possibly one of his family members had their DNA uploaded to one of the sites that traces your DNA like Ancestry.com. Assuming that LE has access to those sites? JMO

Agreed. That would be insanely fast. Usually it takes months and months, because there’s a backlog and the process takes some time. It’s possible, but I think highly unlikely.
What if they surreptitiously collected DNA from his mom or sister or something. To test against DNA from the crime. I bet he was uber careful not to leave any DNA behind, like one other guy I saw on a crime show who would always take his trash with him from everywhere. Not use utensils at restaurants and such.

Yeah I don't know I should be making dinner but I just keep thinking about if anyone in his family thought it was weird that he happened to go to school miles from the crime scene and he happened to drive a white elantra?

I mean imagine a crime occurred near where a family member of yours worked and LE announced they were looking for the car your family member drove. Wouldn't you think it weird? Maybe he told his family he cleared himself already.

Most people are CLUELESS and don't watch the news or even follow local crimes let alone in another state.

I do believe those are fair questions. I asked "what information" because I heard nothing in the press conference that supported your assertions. (I was not listening carefully.) Knowing exactly what you were referring to would help me better understand your position. When your opinions are vaguely "based off of initial info and press conference information and wording used by LE," it doesn't give me much to go on.

Do we simply have different interpretations of what was said? Or did I miss something important? It's impossible to know, or engage in meaningful discussion, without the details.
I’m sorry I misunderstood you.

I was listening and reading quickly. Definitely some misinterpretation there.

Law enforcement often arrests suspects during the wee hours so they can catch them off guard, i.e. while they're asleep.

BBM

Four possible guesses:
1) Gerry Spence
2) Jose Baez
3) Robert Shapiro
4) Anne Bremer

Defense attorneys love publicity, so he will probably be able to pick his dream team.

ETA: I just read that Gerry Spence had publicly stated that he was retiring from trying cases, so you can probably scratch him off the list.
there won't be a trial he'll plead out.

It's 2022 and we're still saying "OCD" to mean focused or obsessed with rather than the actual disorder that consists of intrusive thoughts. I will have a Lot To Say if this case turns into some media/tabloid indictment of the very real and unrelated to violence illness OCD.
Where have people been using this case as or suspect as a representation of ocd? I just haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere but I’m struggling to keep up

He thought he had everything planned so well. I also think he realized he would be caught when the vehicle identity was broadcast.

Why didn't he just cycle or walk to the crime scene house?
How many cars of that exact type are in the Moscow Pullman area? 100 or more maybe.

Cars are often easily caught on camera, but a guy walking/cycling with a hat/hoodie/scarf/COVID mask etc could be impossible.

The Times Square bomber cycled and was never caught.

The perp reminds me of a convicted killer in the UK who used a crossbow and was studying for PHD in criminology.

I wonder how they matched the DNA?
Some discarded item during the 4 days over Christmas. I think they've used car door handles before.

DNA on its own was probably useless,the car was key.

I think he got a ticket for no seatbelt so I guess he was already on the system.

I still think they took a long time since they probably had the make of car from the very beginning.

All JMO…

I don’t think BK had any specific connection to any of the occupants of 1122 King Rd, but nor do I believe he just happened upon the house that fateful night/morning.

I think he had been watching them…whether he saw the house as an easy target or whether he took a shine to one of the girls, I don’t know, but he chose the house for a reason and this is what interests me. Whilst the house being an easy target is possible, I suspect that perhaps he had in fact been stalking one of the victims and was obsessed with her, although a stalker has never been confirmed so this is MOO.

I think he was obsessed with what drove people to commit murder as part of his studies, this then turned into a further obsession over how it feels to actually do it, and he became so obsessed with it that he wanted to know for himself. Research wasn’t enough. He developed an urge to kill, he just needed a victim.

Why the girls? Perhaps he was a loner growing up, perhaps he wasn’t successful with girls, perhaps he resented them and had incel vibes and felt they deserved it, or perhaps he had never been up close and personal with young, attractive women before and this was his opportunity.

I think his burning desire to know what killing someone felt like just completely took over his mind, rendering his knowledge in his field useless. He was sloppy (DNA and Elantra identification) when he should have known better. He didn’t plan well enough and got caught over something that he could have prevented, all because his desires caused him to lose control.

With regard to his poor planning, I also don’t believe that he intended on killing so many people. Perhaps one, maybe two? I think the others heard a noise and ended up as collateral damage. Ethan included.

All MOO.

I think this is it, though not sure on the "incel vibe" comment. Don't see how one can come up with that just from a picture.

That being said, I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he coerced someone else to commit the murders while he observed and then maybe got caught up and joined in or something. Or, at the very least, solicited help. I think that if the "have you arrested anyone else" could be telling. Sure, he could be attempting to introduce reasonable doubt, but I think without a murder weapon, full confessions with details known only to the murderer, or sort of accomplice turning on him, there is already a non-zero amount of reasonable doubt potentially. If he really did preplan this in advance, and is intelligent and spent 4+ years studying criminology, I am not confident this will be a slam dunk case. Perhaps he is legit trying to get away with murder and part of that plan WAS getting caught eventually and then using the legal process as his challenge. Perhaps this is all wrong, but I don't think it is any more or less plausible based on anything else we know at the moment.

What if they surreptitiously collected DNA from his mom or sister or something. To test against DNA from the crime. I bet he was uber careful not to leave any DNA behind, like one other guy I saw on a crime show who would always take his trash with him from everywhere. Not use utensils at restaurants and such.
Certainly possible. They caught BTK by comparing his DNA to his daughter’s.

IMO, they are just showing their employers that they are doing their job. It's fine if the chief gives the same answer to differently angled questions - I would have done the same back when I worked as a young reporter. It's part of journalistic training. Getting your publication's main questions in front of relevant parties at news conference is standard procedure. Even if someone else asked a similar question.

The reporter wants to report what was said directly to them, and that's a good practice.
You were sspot on about this suspect. Graduate or graduate student, loner, awkward in social circles, etc. Appreciate you so much!

All JMO…

I don’t think BK had any specific connection to any of the occupants of 1122 King Rd, but nor do I believe he just happened upon the house that fateful night/morning.

I think he had been watching them…whether he saw the house as an easy target or whether he took a shine to one of the girls, I don’t know, but he chose the house for a reason and this is what interests me. Whilst the house being an easy target is possible, I suspect that perhaps he had in fact been stalking one of the victims and was obsessed with her, although a stalker has never been confirmed so this is MOO.

I think he was obsessed with what drove people to commit murder as part of his studies, this then turned into a further obsession over how it feels to actually do it, and he became so obsessed with it that he wanted to know for himself. Research wasn’t enough. He developed an urge to kill, he just needed a victim.

Why the girls? Perhaps he was a loner growing up, perhaps he wasn’t successful with girls, perhaps he resented them and had incel vibes and felt they deserved it, or perhaps he had never been up close and personal with young, attractive women before and this was his opportunity.

I think his burning desire to know what killing someone felt like just completely took over his mind, rendering his knowledge in his field useless. He was sloppy (DNA and Elantra identification) when he should have known better. He didn’t plan well enough and got caught over something that he could have prevented, all because his desires caused him to lose control.

With regard to his poor planning, I also don’t believe that he intended on killing so many people. Perhaps one, maybe two? I think the others heard a noise and ended up as collateral damage. Ethan included.

All MOO.

On first glance, I think you probably have it backwards here.

He likely chose his field of study and research area based on thoughts and inclinations he had already.

In my opinion he had noticed disturbing things about himself before he started this area of study.

Similar vibes to James Holmes trying to study neuroscience.

These are maladaptive, terrible people who choose to engage in behaviors that are beyond forgiveness. Their masks only hold up so long.

I’ve been busy today, so I haven’t had a chance to comment. Obviously the killer wasn’t going to get away with this, as no one murders four college kids in a house and gets away with it; not like this. I figured he had to have left DNA behind, as it’s tough not too with a weapon like that (slippage).

This guy is scary, as he seems to be like a character out of a Hollywood movie. I imagine he thought about murder for a long time, and wanted to see what it felt like, and wanted to get away with it. I imagine he’s quite arrogant, but he was no match for science.

With no criminal record, he wouldn’t have been in the system. My guess is they ultimately got a plate number, and obtained his DNA surreptitiously.
Been waiting patiently for you to weigh in.
He's a real sicko.
Truly hope this is his first and last time.
Chilling.

This was about the car being processed. How would a car be transported? And as far as processing it, would MPD have gone out there? PA State Police? FBI? My guess would be maybe the FBI agents who were working on the case.

Just wondering what typical LE procedure would be in situations like this would be, and we've got some LE experts on here.
I doubt if Moscow would send anyone to Pennsylvania to process a car. Anyone like the Pennsylvania State Police can process the car but nothing earthshaking is coming out of the car except possibly the murder weapon. the car won’t be going anywhere. It can’t be hauled into a courtroom so photos will suffice.

I mean imagine a crime occurred near where a family member of yours worked and LE announced they were looking for the car your family member drove. Wouldn't you think it weird? Maybe he told his family he cleared himself already.
And if they already knew he was…different. Imo, we’ll find out there was a tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member