ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the intersection of Lauder/95, the other side of the gas station. Not sure what the coverage is here but if the attacker turns left (not sure why he would b/c if he stays straight on Taylor ave, he gets to the same spot) he gets covered by the cameras at Taylor/95.

rsz_lauder_ave_and_95_intersection.png

why does everyone keep insisting that E went to investigate after hearing something? just because he's a dude? there's no official information about his body not being in the bed and it was said at the press conference today that everyone was attacked in their sleep

Purely speculating here, but what if the M&K came home and let the dog out and the dog got loose and ran away and they ran after him. When they finally caught the dog they called J to tell him. While out looking for the dog the perp noticed them and it was indeed totally random. Their guard was down because they just found the dog.

Perp follows them back to the house and lays low until the lights go out. He thinks it is just those two and goes upstairs. While he is attacking M & K, E hears a struggle and goes to investigate. X is awaken when E gets up and when he doesn't come back the perp hears her too, which is why she was said (by her father) to have defensive wounds.

MOO

Interesting theory. Or, perp saw them leave the house, chasing out after the dog, and slipped inside and hid—waited for them to return and go to sleep.

My slight modification of the theory is based on my idea that it’d be very natural to leave a door unlocked behind you, when you’re chasing a dog that got loose.

MOO

I’m surprised they have no video of even a dark clothed man walking on street or getting into car somewhere on the street nearby . If they checked all the videos of all streets and sidewalks nearby ( which im sure they have ) how is there no suspicious man walking or walking to car ? I’m sure the time he would have been it was pretty dead and would stand out . What was this guy invisible ??
It's totally possible someone could have slipped away unnoticed. There were home football games in both Pullman & Moscow (honestly they're basically one town separated by 8 miles of farmland.) Also, it was dad's weekend at WSU in Pullman, which is one of the three biggest weekends of the year in our area. There were hundreds of folks from out of town between both cities, most of them in Moscow because there are better options for hotels, bars, and food.

Editing to include - due to the mild weather, the home football games, and students getting stoked for fall break, people were celebrating and walking around later than they normally would have been.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> ... the targeting of one particular person is throwing me because it’s so risky to kill 4 people total if you were really just after 1 (even taking into consideration “eliminating” the other 3 as witnesses —that’s a lot of time and work especially with knife as your weapon).

I might be in the minority here but I’m not so sure it was a personal target against only one. I think maybe someone either had beef with like 3 of the 4 (or all 4), or it was a random/serial/thrill kill. Im having trouble thinking that 3 of the 4 were just collateral. I think perp wanted to kill multiple people that night for whatever reason. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if they do know who and or why, the press conferences are making me less comfortable. I'd rather see them have the ISP PIO read a preprinted (and reviewed by legal) summary of the current facts of the case. As much or as little as they see fit to reveal at this time. So many chances for missteps and revealing unique information that only a killer would know. After the coroner's TV fiasco (IMO) I'd let all the muckity-mucks give their standard speeches and anything case-related would be handled by someone trained to deal with the media. Might even go so far as to ask the media to submit written questions with a promise to answer them by the next business day or at the next presser. I understand town is on edge, but they need to consider that the killer may well be watching.

At its worst, what if they keep saying "targeted" and the killer then decides to commit a completely random crime to throw them off the trail? Or some copycat enters the picture.

Hope they do have way more than they are saying, but not super-comfortable with media-interface so far.

We all want info, but I'm ok with it doled out in careful, legally bulletproof bits
Yes. The lack of a consistent PIO is very problematic. See that in many cases here. Smaller jurisdictions just seem to think winging it works in every instance, not realizing an unusual case with extremely high interest requires expertise in managing the message well.

I have to give kudos to this team of LE for not stonewalling, though. If we stopped parsing every word (unlikely, I know), a logical picture could emerge even with easy to avoid communication missteps.

My undereducated opinion only

Here’s a theory -

What if the two roommates were home at the time and the night was winding down / had already winded down. The perpetrator entered either through the 2nd or 3rd floor sliding glass window but either way went to the top floor first and he/she was silent through pretty much the entire interaction. The perpetrator then proceeds down to the next level and enters the male/female room. This is likely to be the loudest encounter of the night as there were ostensibly two people sleeping in the same bed. He/she would have to attack one victim at a time given the nature of the murder weapon, and this would have a high probability of waking the other victim in the room. This has a realistic probability of creating some sort of commotion/sound that could easily awake the victim sleeping directly below them in one of the two rooms on the 1st floor, but it happens all so quickly you don’t have enough mental state to process ir all in that moment. At that point the perpetrator would expend a great deal of energy trying to quiet the second victim in the bedroom, which would panic/freeze the victim on the 1st floor who now registers what just happened. Once the perpetrator finished murdering the second victim, the house would be very quiet at that point. I imagine the perpetrator would’ve went downstairs to the first floor quickly (but quietly) to see if they thought there was anyone alive down there. They would‘ve found the locked doors and didn’t try to kick them in for fear one of them might call 911 immediately. Maybe the perpetrator didn’t want to risk it and wasn’t 100% sure either A.) those roommates were even home (the would definitely lock their doors if the WEREN‘T there given the house vibe) or B.) if they were there that they even heard anything but kicking in the door at that point elevates risk for them. And then went back upstairs and did who knows what? Left immediately or did other things?
If that were all true then the roommate downstairs would be in freeze mode. The other roommate, not being under the victims’ room and out late didn’t wake up. The roommate would be trying to stay as quiet as possible for fear of attracting attention. But at some point I would imagine she is going to call 911. But what if her phone was dead? I’m not sure that would be all that implausible. And if so, she would probably go in freeze mode for good. Particularly if she didn’t actually hear the perpetrator leave the house. If the perpetrator entered extremely stealthily, there’s no reason they wouldn’t also leave that way. A person who enters a home and kills 4 adults at peak physical age with a knife isn‘t expecting it to be quite as quick. Either you bring a gun and have speed as your ally or you bring a knife and you have stealth and precision as your ally.
If she was locked up just basically waiting for someone to come to the house (or if the other roommate WAS there, for her to wakeup and come out, maybe the other roommate was a late sleeper). At this point Ethan’s friend comes over and knocks on the door because he had plans with Ethan that day but he didn’t answer his phone or they already had a pre-planned time. He knocks though because it’s an entirely female house and it’s his friend‘s girlfriend that lives there. Not getting an answer he knocks again, goes around to the second floor window and sees it shut but opens it and shouts in asking if anyone is in there. At this point, the roommate feels unfrozen and opens her door, goes to the other roommates room and gets her attention, saying give me your phone, we need to call 911. Goes upstairs with her, connects with Ethan’s friend as she calls the police. They go into Xana’s room and see the carnage, maybe one, maybe all, who knows. But they tell the police their friend has been murdered. Maybe they go upstairs and see the rest of the house. When the police come, they know there’s no need for EMS as it can be reasonably concluded based upon their call that no one is remotely alive. We know it‘s gruesome, we don’t know HOW gruesome it could be.
The police at this point would want to ensure all their roles in the call and as importantly, LEADING up to the call. We all know that’s the biggest gap in this crime and yet nothing is known about it publicly. They’ve stated that a roommates phone was used but we can infer that it’s not the owner that is reporting the crime. The two surviving roommates would still be considered friends and hold up under what the police have conveyed.
It sure seems that given the nature of the crime, they reasonably thought initially that it was an ex-lover or someone committing this crime out of rage. But the more they’ve explored the case, maybe they’ve come to realize this is more intentional but less connected in a “it’s someone close to the victims who did it” kind of way. Who knows, just a theory, but they definitely don’t appear to be honing in on a specific perpetrator, at least not publicly at this point. It sure seems odd they won’t release that 911 tape and continue to obfuscate who reported it. If they really thought they were honing in on a perpetrator and the 911 tape had telling information at all, that would help turn up the heat on the perpetrator. If there wasn’t anything telling on it, why not release it?
I’m thinking maybe they’re trying to really protect one of the surviving roommates because she’s potentially a bigger witness than we know and they’re equally concerned for her safety and also don’t want the public to panic over what transpired.

Last edited:
Yes, the targeting of one particular person is throwing me because it’s so risky to kill 4 people total if you were really just after 1 (even taking into consideration “eliminating” the other 3 as witnesses —that’s a lot of time and work especially with knife as your weapon).

I might be in the minority here but I’m not so sure it was a personal target against only one. I think maybe someone either had beef with like 3 of the 4 (or all 4), or it was a random/serial/thrill kill. Im having trouble thinking that 3 of the 4 were just collateral. I think perp wanted to kill multiple people that night for whatever reason. MOO
If killer had a beef with the roommates, I would think all would have been targeted. Perhaps it was a beef with the sleepover victim and somehow it lead to 3 of 5 roommates? To enter the house with such a large knife denotes to me that the killer was not just there to party.

Interesting theory. Or, perp saw them leave the house, chasing out after the dog, and slipped inside and hid—waited for them to return and go to sleep.

My slight modification of the theory is based on my idea that it’d be very natural to leave a door unlocked behind you, when you’re chasing a dog that got loose.

MOO
I agree. And the girls wouldn't have their phones, because your first instinct is to run after the dog, not go get your phone and then run.

Edited to add MOO

If the suspect exits the neighborhood via Lathen St/95, if he doesn't turn left and gets caught on camera at the taylor/95 gas station, he's got to turn right and drive past the Moscow PD and a John Deere store. I couldn't pinpoint any cameras but there has to be some kind of surveillance on the John Deere lot as there are many expensive equipment situated on the lot.

Red Arrow is the Moscow PD.

rsz_pd_and_john_deere.png

Yes, the targeting of one particular person is throwing me because it’s so risky to kill 4 people total if you were really just after 1 (even taking into consideration “eliminating” the other 3 as witnesses —that’s a lot of time and work especially with knife as your weapon).

Could be... but I think even if one person is the main "target", the victims were all such close friends, maybe it's like a "revenge" on all of them? Or if Kaylee was the main target, the killer didn't care if he killed Maddie too given their closeness/it was the only opportunity to get Kaylee as she was sharing a bed with Maddie? I'm still also of the theory that Ethan and Xana were collaterol - heard something and reacted, and killer didn't want any witnesses. Especially given the other two roommates were unscathed. Or logistically killer had to go by their room to get to M&K and ran into E/X or one of, and the other heard. If was an unaffiliated serial killer and had stalked house/roomies, wouldn't he have gone for the other two as well? MOO/speculation

EDIT: Agree with whoever posted that Kaylee's last SM post was that she was "so lucky to have" the 6 roomies in her life (J not included in that)

I'm not a huge websleuth, but disgruntled ex/disgruntled person killing a woman is so much more common than random serial killer killing 4 people in one go. (Thinking of Gabby Petito case).

Last edited:
It sure seems odd they won’t release that 911 tape or continue to obfuscate who reported it. If they really thought they were honing in on a perpetrator and the 911 tape had telling information at all, that would help turn up the heat on the perpetrator. If there wasn’t anything telling on it, why not release it? Just curious is all…
Maybe the 911 call was too upsetting (people crying, screaming, etc.) or the description of what they saw was too disturbing to release to the public. Or LE is protecting the identity of the caller in the event the killer wants "revenge" on them and/or knows the person who called and would be able to target them. Edit: Or the call would give away information about the scene/timing that LE needs to catch the killer in a lie, etc. Or the public would speculate about the caller as a suspect/to protect their privacy as a result. Think there's a lot of reasons why it wouldn't be released (at this point, maybe they would release it later after this is solved or something) that aren't necessarily suspicious

Last edited:
Yes, I know there's a paywall, but if you have a sub, or freebies left, the NYT end of the weekend wrap about our case is excellent -- well-written, thorough, and perceptive:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member