ID - Daralyn Johnson, 9, Nampa, Murdered, 1982 *inmate arrest in 2020*

monster is in prison for sexual assault of children but doesn't want to add murder to his rap sheet. nasty subhuman.
Canyon County District Judge Thomas Whitney denied Dalrymple's request on Aug. 11, but no document has been filed within the clerk's office.

monster is in prison for sexual assault of children but doesn't want to add murder to his rap sheet. nasty subhuman.

Hey @ReadySet - I can not access the article - can you let me know "what" the Judge denied on his "request"?

Also - I have as next status hearing on 3/6/24 - anything earlier? TIA! :)

Hey @ReadySet - I can not access the article - can you let me know "what" the Judge denied on his "request"?

Also - I have as next status hearing on 3/6/24 - anything earlier? TIA! :)

CANYON COUNTY, Idaho — A Canyon County judge has denied a murder suspect's request to seek a different attorney after he said he wants counsel that is not part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
He also doesn't want an attorney who is Republican.

In motions filed this year, Dalrymple has accused his attorney of depriving him of his right to effectiveness of counsel and asked for a new public defender.
"I asked him to gather records showing where I truly lived, that I was at work, corruption of Caldwell Police and Canyon County Sheriff's
He also asked for a change of venue for his trial claiming the case has notoriety and he doesn't want members of law enforcement on the jury.
Dalrymple wrote he didn't want his defense attorney to be a part of the LDS church or a member of the Republican party.
"...The victim's family is very involved and influential in the Mormon church and for reasons relating to Dalrymple's current incarceration Dalrymple requested the attorneys not be a Republican," he wrote in the filing.
He also asked for more information on Charles Fain, who was convicted in Johnson's murder but later exonerated when the hairs found on her were determined to belong to someone else.

Canyon County District Judge Thomas Whitney denied Dalrymple's request on Aug. 11, but no written order has been filed within the clerk's office.
The Canyon County Prosecutor's Office declined to comment on the matter as the case is still pending. However, they will be responding to pleadings filed in the case.
The Canyon County Public Defender's Office also is unable to give out information on current cases, according to their voicemail system.

@Niner
Nothing earlier than3/6/24

The latest Murder Sheet podcast has a short segment on this case.

Beginning at the 24mm

Wednesday, March 6th:
*Status Conference Hearing (@ 2:30pm MT) - ID – Daralyn Renée Johnson (9) (missing Feb. 21, 1982, found Feb. 24, 1982, Nampa. Her body, which had been sexually assaulted & beaten, was found in a shallow drainage ditch along the Snake River in Melba by a group of fishermen. Johnson sustained blunt force trauma to the head & torso, but ultimately died from drowning) - *David Allen Dalrymple (24 @ time of crime/62/now 65) charged (5/4/20) & formally charged & re-arraigned (10/27/22) with felony 1st degree murder & felony rape. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will not seek DP.
Trial was set to begin on 3/13/23 was continued on 5/13/24.
Case & court info from 5/4/20 thru 1/17/23 reference post #113 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ered-1982-inmate-arrest-in-2020.520075/page-6

1/19/23 Update: Status Conference held. All pending motions; in person. Next status conference hearing on 3/9/23 @ 1:30pm to set new trial date.
3/9/23 Update: Status conference was held in person. Trial dates to be set. Defendant's pro se motion for new counsel; proposed subpoena Tecum. State's Motion to present subpoena Duces tecums-Granted by Judge Thomas W. Whitney. Motion to terminate current counsel & replace with conflict counsel-denied by Judge Whitney. 4/18/23: Motion requesting court to appoint new counsel. Declaration in support of motion to appoint new counsel. 4/26/23: State's supplemental response to request for Discovery-amended 16th. Trial on 3/13/23 was cancelled/vacated. Next status conference hearing on 3/6/24 @ 2:30pm, pretrial conference on 4/10/24 @ 2:30pm & trial now set to begin on 5/13/24 @ 8:30am.
8/11/23 Update: In motions filed this year, Dalrymple has accused his attorney of depriving him of his right to effectiveness of counsel & asked for a new public defender. "I asked him to gather records showing where I truly lived, that I was at work, corruption of Caldwell Police & Canyon County Sheriff's. He also asked for a change of venue for his trial claiming the case has notoriety & he doesn't want members of law enforcement on the jury. Dalrymple wrote he didn't want his defense attorney to be a part of the LDS church or a member of the Republican party. "...The victim's family is very involved & influential in the Mormon church & for reasons relating to Dalrymple's current incarceration Dalrymple requested the attorneys not be a Republican," he wrote in the filing. He also asked for more information on Charles Fain, who was convicted in Johnson's murder but later exonerated when the hairs found on her were determined to belong to someone else. Canyon County District Judge Thomas Whitney denied Dalrymple's request on Aug. 11, but no written order has been filed within the clerk's office.

@ReadySet - any updated court hearing dates yet? I have 4/10 next in my notes. TIA! :)

Case NumberStyle / DefendantCase TypeDate / TimeHearing TypeJudgeCourtroomCase Category
CR14-20-07840Dalrymple, David AllenCriminal3/14/2024 3:00 PMStatus ConferenceWhitney, Thomas W.Criminal
CR14-20-07840Dalrymple, David AllenCriminal4/1/2024 9:00 AMEvidentiary HearingWhitney, Thomas W.Criminal
CR14-20-07840Dalrymple, David AllenCriminal4/4/2024 9:00 AMEvidentiary HearingWhitney, Thomas W.Criminal
CR14-20-07840Dalrymple, David AllenCriminal4/10/2024 2:30 PMPre-trial ConferenceWhitney, Thomas W.Criminal
CR14-20-07840Dalrymple, David AllenCriminal5/3/2024 9:00 AMStatus ConferenceWhitney, Thomas W.Criminal
CR14-20-07840Dalrymple, David AllenCriminal5/13/2024 8:30 AMJury TrialWhitney, Thomas W.Criminal

Thursday, March 14th:
*Status Conference Hearing (@ 3pm MT) - ID – Daralyn Renée Johnson (9) (missing Feb. 21, 1982, found Feb. 24, 1982, Nampa. Her body, which had been sexually assaulted & beaten, was found in a shallow drainage ditch along the Snake River in Melba by a group of fishermen. Johnson sustained blunt force trauma to the head & torso, but ultimately died from drowning) - *David Allen Dalrymple (24 @ time of crime/62/now 65) charged (5/4/20) & formally charged & re-arraigned (10/27/22) with felony 1st degree murder & felony rape. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will not seek DP.
Trial set to begin on 5/13/24.
Case & court info from 5/4/20 thru 4/26/23 reference post #126 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ered-1982-inmate-arrest-in-2020.520075/page-7

8/11/23 Update: In motions filed this year, Dalrymple has accused his attorney of depriving him of his right to effectiveness of counsel & asked for a new public defender. "I asked him to gather records showing where I truly lived, that I was at work, corruption of Caldwell Police & Canyon County Sheriff's. He also asked for a change of venue for his trial claiming the case has notoriety & he doesn't want members of law enforcement on the jury. Dalrymple wrote he didn't want his defense attorney to be a part of the LDS church or a member of the Republican party. " The victim's family is very involved & influential in the Mormon church & for reasons relating to Dalrymple's current incarceration Dalrymple requested the attorneys not be a Republican," he wrote in the filing. He also asked for more information on Charles Fain, who was convicted in Johnson's murder but later exonerated when the hairs found on her were determined to belong to someone else. Canyon County District Judge Thomas Whitney denied Dalrymple's request on Aug. 11, but no written order has been filed within the clerk's office. Next status conference hearing on 3/6/24 @ 2:30pm.
3/6/24 Update: Next status hearing on 3/14/24 @ 3pm, Evidentiary hearings on 4/1/24 & 4/4/24 @ 9am, Pretrial conference hearing on 4/10/24 @ 2:30pm & status conference hearing on 5/3/24 @ 9am.

Monday, April 1st:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 1 of 2) (@ 9am MT) - ID – Daralyn Renée Johnson (9) (missing Feb. 21, 1982, found Feb. 24, 1982, Nampa. Her body, which had been sexually assaulted & beaten, was found in a shallow drainage ditch along the Snake River in Melba by a group of fishermen. Johnson sustained blunt force trauma to the head & torso, but ultimately died from drowning) - *David Allen Dalrymple (24 @ time of crime/62/now 65) charged (5/4/20) & formally charged & re-arraigned (10/27/22) with felony 1st degree murder & felony rape. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will not seek DP.
Case & court info from 5/4/20 thru 8/11/23 reference post #130 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ered-1982-inmate-arrest-in-2020.520075/page-7

3/6/24 Update: Next status hearing on 3/14/24 @ 3pm, Evidentiary hearings on 4/1/24 & 4/4/24 @ 9am, Pretrial conference hearing on 4/10/24 @ 2:30pm & status conference hearing on 5/3/24 @ 9am.
3/14/24 Update: Next evidentiary hearing Day 1 of 2 on 4/1/24 @ 9am.

Thursday, April 4th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 2 of 2) (@ 9am MT) - ID – Daralyn Renée Johnson (9) (missing Feb. 21, 1982, found Feb. 24, 1982, Nampa. Her body, which had been sexually assaulted & beaten, was found in a shallow drainage ditch along the Snake River in Melba by a group of fishermen. Johnson sustained blunt force trauma to the head & torso, but ultimately died from drowning) - *David Allen Dalrymple (24 @ time of crime/62/now 65) charged (5/4/20) & formally charged & re-arraigned (10/27/22) with felony 1st degree murder & felony rape. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will not seek DP.
Case & court info from 5/4/20 thru 3/6/24 reference post #131 here:

3/14/24 Update: Next evidentiary hearing Day 1 of 2 on 4/1/24 @ 9am. 4/1/24 Update: Evidentiary hearing continues on 4/4/24 @ 9am.

Wednesday, April 10th:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing (@ 2:30pm MT) - ID – Daralyn Renée Johnson (9) (missing Feb. 21, 1982, found Feb. 24, 1982, Nampa. Her body, which had been sexually assaulted & beaten, was found in a shallow drainage ditch along the Snake River in Melba by a group of fishermen. Johnson sustained blunt force trauma to the head & torso, but ultimately died from drowning) - *David Allen Dalrymple (24 @ time of crime/62/now 65) charged (5/4/20) & formally charged & re-arraigned (10/27/22) with felony 1st degree murder & felony rape. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will not seek DP.
Case & court info from 5/4/20 thru 3/6/24 reference post #131 here:

3/14/24 Update: Next evidentiary hearing Day 1 of 2 on 4/1/24 @ 9am. 4/1/24 Update: Evidentiary hearing continues on 4/4/24 @ 9am.
4/4/24 Update: No info on evidentiary hearing Day 2. Next pretrial conference on 4/10/24 @ 2:30pm.

@ReadySet - just checking to make sure his next hearing is on 5/3 & trial still on 5/13/24.
TIA! :)

Since LE said they do not believe his current charges are the extent of his criminality-

Do any of you veteran sleuthers know a way to find this guy‘s earliest mugshots? My searches come up empty.

I am curious about his duty station/armed forces service? The below indicates he was discharged in 1981.

Any mentions of what did for work?

I am thinking of a particular unsolved case in another state and the striking resemblance of the earliest Dalyrmple mugshot in IdahoStatesman article, to a sketch of perp provided in the other case.

ETA: correct spelling, info on discharge

Last edited:
Since LE said they do not believe his current charges are the extent of his criminality-

Do any of you veteran sleuthers know a way to find this guy‘s earliest mugshots? My searches come up empty.

I am curious about his duty station/armed forces service? The below indicates he was discharged in 1981.

Any mentions of what did for work?

I am thinking of a particular unsolved case in another state and the striking resemblance of the earliest Dalyrmple mugshot in IdahoStatesman article, to a sketch of perp provided in the other case.

ETA: correct spelling, info on discharge
It was not the suspect but his brother who was in the military.

Investigators were able to immediately eliminate the girls and then three of the four brothers, court records show. At the time of the crime, one of the boys was living in a different state and in the military, and the other two — 13 and 14 years old — were living in McCall and weren’t old enough to drive.
This led investigators to Dalrymple, who lived in Nampa when Johnson was killed. Court records show “the address was on the route (Johnson) would walk to school each morning.”

ETA: He said he was in the military, but that is not confirmed. He may have been lying. Or I guess he may have been in the military, but there is no info. I know of about that. I'm not sure of his work at the time.
ETA: Oh, his current charges are absolutely not the extent of his criminality. He is currently in prison on another conviction, he has a long history of sexual assault.

Last edited:
@Niner It looks like there have been a lot of motions; including for the jury to see the locations. I am not clear if that was denied or not. Niner, thanks again for all the time and work you put in to keep track of all the cases, especially old cases like this one. As I've said, this case is close to my heart as I have a bit of a connection . Thank you to everyone who is following and weighing in on this case. Justice for Daralyn!

04/10/2024 Pre-trial Conference
Original Type
Pre-trial Conference
Judicial Officer
Whitney, Thomas W.
Hearing Time
2:30 PM
Result
Hearing Held
Comment
In person - Motion for Jury to View Locations - Intent Rule 404(b) / Intent to Use Summary Evidence, Motion to continue JT,motion to shorten time,motion to issue subpoena, motion to seal States' Notice of intent to introduce evidence

• 04/10/2024 Order to Transport
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Defendant
  • 04/10/2024 Court Minutes
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
  • 04/10/2024 Motion Granted
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    State's Motion for Jury to View Locations: Sites 1, 2, & 3; State's Motion to Issue Subpoena; State's Motion to Seal State's Notice of Intent to Introduce Evidence
  • 04/10/2024 Motion Denied
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    State's Motion for Jury to View Locations: Site 4; Defense's Motion to Continue Jury Trial
  • 04/10/2024 Objection
    Comment
    State's Objection and Brief in Opposition to Defendant's Motion to Suppress
  • 04/11/2024 Affidavit in Support of Motion
    Comment
    in support of Motion to Suppress
  • 04/11/2024 Motion to Compel
    Comment
    Discovery & Notice of Hearing
  • 04/11/2024 Motion to Shorten Time
    Comment
    for Hearing & Notice of Hearing
    Comment
    to Suppress
  • 04/12/2024 Motion to Suppress
    Original Type
    Motion to Suppress
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time
    10:30 AM
    Result
    Hearing Held
    Comment
    in person
  • 04/12/2024 Witness Disclosure
    Comment
    Amended Expert
  • 04/12/2024 Affidavit in Support of Motion
    Comment
    to Suppress
  • 04/12/2024 Court Minutes
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
  • 04/12/2024 Exhibit List/Log
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Defendant's
  • 04/12/2024 Case Taken Under Advisement
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Motion to Suppress
  • 04/12/2024 Order
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Findings and Order Regarding Touhy Request
  • 04/16/2024 State's Supplemental Response to Request for Discovery
    Comment
    32nd
  • 04/17/2024 Witness Disclosure
    Comment
    Expert - Amended
  • 04/17/2024 Objection
    Comment
    to State's Notice of Intent Rule 404(b) Evidence
  • 04/18/2024 Subpoena Issued
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
  • 05/03/2024 Status Conference
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time
    9:00 AM
  • 05/13/2024 Jury Trial
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time
    8:30 AM
    Cancel Reason
    Vacated
  • 05/13/2024 Jury Trial
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time

@Niner It looks like there have been a lot of motions; including for the jury to see the locations. I am not clear if that was denied or not. Niner, thanks again for all the time and work you put in to keep track of all the cases, especially old cases like this one. As I've said, this case is close to my heart as I have a bit of a connection . Thank you to everyone who is following and weighing in on this case. Justice for Daralyn!

04/10/2024 Pre-trial Conference
Original Type
Pre-trial Conference
Judicial Officer
Whitney, Thomas W.
Hearing Time
2:30 PM
Result
Hearing Held
Comment
In person - Motion for Jury to View Locations - Intent Rule 404(b) / Intent to Use Summary Evidence, Motion to continue JT,motion to shorten time,motion to issue subpoena, motion to seal States' Notice of intent to introduce evidence

• 04/10/2024 Order to Transport
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Defendant
  • 04/10/2024 Court Minutes
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
  • 04/10/2024 Motion Granted
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    State's Motion for Jury to View Locations: Sites 1, 2, & 3; State's Motion to Issue Subpoena; State's Motion to Seal State's Notice of Intent to Introduce Evidence
  • 04/10/2024 Motion Denied
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    State's Motion for Jury to View Locations: Site 4; Defense's Motion to Continue Jury Trial
  • 04/10/2024 Objection
    Comment
    State's Objection and Brief in Opposition to Defendant's Motion to Suppress
    Comment
    in support of Motion to Suppress
  • 04/11/2024 Motion to Compel
    Comment
    Discovery & Notice of Hearing
  • 04/11/2024 Motion to Shorten Time
    Comment
    for Hearing & Notice of Hearing
    Comment
    to Suppress
  • 04/12/2024 Motion to Suppress
    Original Type
    Motion to Suppress
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time
    10:30 AM
    Result
    Hearing Held
    Comment
    in person
  • 04/12/2024 Witness Disclosure
    Comment
    Amended Expert
  • 04/12/2024 Affidavit in Support of Motion
    Comment
    to Suppress
  • 04/12/2024 Court Minutes
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
  • 04/12/2024 Exhibit List/Log
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Defendant's
  • 04/12/2024 Case Taken Under Advisement
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Motion to Suppress
  • 04/12/2024 Order
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Comment
    Findings and Order Regarding Touhy Request
  • 04/16/2024 State's Supplemental Response to Request for Discovery
    Comment
    32nd
  • 04/17/2024 Witness Disclosure
    Comment
    Expert - Amended
  • 04/17/2024 Objection
    Comment
    to State's Notice of Intent Rule 404(b) Evidence
  • 04/18/2024 Subpoena Issued
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
  • 05/03/2024 Status Conference
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time
    9:00 AM
  • 05/13/2024 Jury Trial
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time
    Cancel Reason
    Vacated
  • 05/13/2024 Jury Trial
    Judicial Officer
    Whitney, Thomas W.
    Hearing Time

To me it does look like the Judge ruled:

04/10/2024 Motion Denied
Judicial Officer
Whitney, Thomas W.
Comment

from above. Denied the jury to view & motion to continue trial. I noticed that there are 2 entries for trial - one says vacated, but the next one is "a go".

Thank you for ALL that info! I shall update my notes & put him on 5/3/24. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back