ID - Daralyn Johnson, 9, Nampa, Murdered, 1982 *inmate arrest in 2020*

I hope the announcement is that they've solved the case. I expect with the way they are able to use DNA now, they have been able to find the murderer.

A man was charged and convicted at the time, using a hair sample. When the use of DNA improved, he was exonerated and released after many years in prison.

Every time information comes up about a serial killer I have always looked to see if they were in Idaho in February of 1982.

I thought because there was no thread for Daralyn, that maybe the family or LE had asked WS to not have one for some reason.

I was local to the case at the time and have a kind of six degrees of separation acquaintence with some who were staff at the school at the time.

My heart is with Daralyn's loved ones today, hoping they will finally get some knowledge about who did this to their little girl.

The man who was originally convicted - Charles Fain - served time on Death Row from 1984 - 2001 when the pubic hair was tested and proved to not be his.
Charles Fain - National Registry of Exonerations

He was living in an old mobile home and found a job with a construction company:
Charles Fain is learning to live again

He spoke before the Idaho House of Representatives to support a bill that would compensate those wrongfully convicted:
Christopher Tapp and Charles Fain testify in emotional hearing for wrongful conviction compensation bill

The bill passed both the House and the Senate, but the governor vetoed the law.
HOUSE BILL 384 – Idaho State Legislature

The thing that gave me chills during this press conference was the absolute statement that there are definitely more victims of this guy! :(

That was my first thought too. Who else and what other crimes that are unsolved may have been committed by this person.

I first checked the timing of the deaths of Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, who were abducted and killed in July 2012 in Iowa.

ETA - I tried to find out when this person was permanently in prison and I cant find the date yet. If anyone finds out his actual incarceration dates it would help so we know when he was out and about. There are multiple people with that name so we have to be sure.

Last edited:
He had an earlier Idaho conviction on charges of multiple sexual offenses against a child (she was 8 to 11 at the time of the offenses) and kidnapping of that child's mother. He appealed those charges and lost, and then attempted an appeal to the Idaho Supreme Ct, claiming ineffective counsel in the earlier appeal. In those findings, the Court reported that he had claimed the child's memories of the sexual offenses were actually false memories from his hypnotizing her. He lost the appeal.

Warning: Disturbing.

https://isc.idaho.gov/opinions/41620.pdf

CALDWELL — Canyon County public safety officials announced they will charge a man in connection with the 1982 rape and drowning of a Nampa girl.

David Allen Dalrymple, 62, will face the charge in connection with the death of Daralyn Johnson, Canyon County Prosecutor Brian Taylor and Sheriff Kieran Donahue announced at a press conference Monday afternoon. Dalrymple is currently already in prison, convicted of kidnapping, second-degree kidnapping and sexual abuse of a child younger than 16 years old, according to the Idaho Department of Correction's website. Those charges are not connected to Johnson's death.

2C officials to charge man in connection with 9-year-old girl's 1982 death

It has been more than 38 years since 9-year-old Daralyn Johnson vanished while walking to school at Lincoln Elementary. Extensive searches for the missing girl ended in a tragedy three days later, when fishermen found her body next to the Snake River. Her cause of death was ruled as a drowning but she was raped and suffered blunt-force trauma before her murder.

In Monday's press conference, Canyon County Sheriff Kieran Donahue and Canyon County Prosecutor Bryan Taylor announced that they have charged 62-year-old David Allen Dalrymple for the young girl's murder.

Law enforcement officials said the sheriff's office is holding off on serving the warrant until late summer since he is already serving time at the Idaho State Correctional Institution for a crime that he committed in 2004. Dalrymple is currently serving 20 years to life in prison for lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor under 16. He was also convicted of kidnapping, sexual abuse of a minor and second degree of kidnapping.

Sheriff Kieran Donahue said they believe there are other victims and are seeking the public's help in solving those cases.

Officials did not take any questions at the end of the press conference.

Watch: 62-year-old man charged for the murder of a Nampa 9-year-old girl in 1982

BBM. :mad::(

On Monday, authorities finally identified the man they believe is responsible. David Dalrymple, 62, is currently incarcerated for kidnapping and sexually abusing a different child. He now faces charges of murder and rape

He was convicted of kidnapping, sexual abuse of a child younger than age 16 and lewd conduct involving a child younger than age 16 in 2004, and would have been eligible for parole in 2023. He is serving a 20-years-to-life sentence for kidnapping and sexual assault of a minor, according to Canyon County Sheriff Kieran Donahue.

[...]

Donahue said authorities have reason to believe the suspect has multiple other victims. They’ve identified at least two who never came forward, in addition to Daralyn and the victim he was convicted of assaulting in 2004, the sheriff said.

Canyon County Prosecutor Bryan Taylor said they are asking anyone with information about the suspect or who may have been a victim to come forward.

Photo of perp at link:
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article242487046.html

Thanks to others who have found information. What I'm trying to find out is, did he live in Nampa at the time? Did he live in Daralyn's neighborhood? Did he work nearby? Hoping that will come out in the days to come.

FindLaw's Supreme Court of Idaho case and opinions.

Supreme Court of Idaho,

STATE of Idaho, Plaintiff-Respondent, v. David Allen DALRYMPLE, Defendant-Appellant.

No. 33447.
Decided: July 02, 2007

Molly J. Huskey, State Appellate Public Defender, Boise, for appellant.  Diane M. Walker argued. Lawrence G. Wasden, Idaho Attorney General, Boise, for respondent. Ralph R. Blount argued.
AMENDED OPINION

THE COURT'S PRIOR OPINION DATED FEBRUARY 21, 2007 IS HEREBY WITHDRAWN.

David Allen Dalrymple was convicted on felony counts of lewd conduct with a child, sexual abuse of a child, second-degree kidnapping, and several misdemeanors.   The Court of Appeals vacated Dalrymple's conviction, holding that the district court erred in failing to provide Faretta warnings contemporaneously to his waiver of the right to counsel.   The State petitioned for review.   We affirm Dalrymple's conviction.

More at link...

Man charged in 1982 homicide case

Last week, DNA evidence came back from a lab in California identifying Dalrymple as the primary suspect. The samples sent to the lab were the same used to exonerate Charles Fain in 2001. In February 2020, Dalrymple was interviewed in his involvement of the death of Daralyn.

Dalrymple was previously charged with kidnapping, second degree kidnapping, lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor under the age of 16 and sexual abuse of a child under the age of 16. He is serving a life sentence for the lewd and lascivious conduct charge.

Idaho Department of Corrections

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back