ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow - Tylee Ryan - Tammy Daybell - Charles Vallow - *Arrests* #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
If LVD has control over what she is doing with the "sanity" issue, will she suddenly (decide to) go insane again halfway through the trial, and get it brought to a screeching halt with a sizable intermission? If she is intelligent rather than truly crazy, but with the ability to fake the crazy as needed, the possibilities are both endless and bothersome.

If LVD has control over what she is doing with the "sanity" issue, will she suddenly (decide to) go insane again halfway through the trial, and get it brought to a screeching halt with a sizable intermission? If she is intelligent rather than truly crazy, but with the ability to fake the crazy as needed, the possibilities are both endless and bothersome.

Whoa! What a thought. I suppose it's possible IF she is "talented" enough to pull it off.

I'm kinda/sorta reminded of the mafia guy who walked around in a bathrobe feigning his insanity.

There will be a hearing tomorrow for Lori Vallow at 10:30AM MST. It’s open to the public at Ada County courthouse. Regarding what? No specifics. It is Lori Vallow.

@Niner

Last edited:
Whoa! What a thought. I suppose it's possible IF she is "talented" enough to pull it off.

I'm kinda/sorta reminded of the mafia guy who walked around in a bathrobe feigning his insanity.
Ha!

Vincent "The Chin" Gigante, the powerful Mafioso who avoided jail for decades by wandering the streets in a ratty bathrobe and slippers, feigning mental illness.

I have never heard of a defendant stopping a trial due to mental incompetence. This type of subject is taken care of before trial. The judge ruled she is competent to assist in her own defense - go to trial - so nothing will stop this.

The judge was very thorough, Lori was committed twice.

I do not believe she was committed twice due to her own "acting" devices. To do that she would need to take a page out of Gigante's playbook and create a long past history of mental illness diagnosis, etc...

2 Cents

I've never been in this camp. These are trained professionals that literally do this everyday for a living and usually do well with malingering. (Especially as time goes on). Do I think she tries to fake crazy? Yes. Do I think she has a mental illness? Absolutely. (CR speaking of her being a different person says a lot in my opinion). However, the bar is pretty low for "competency" and she appears to be assisting in her case. JA comments about her fragile state, etc...seems to be simply laying the foundation for various outs. Do we even know if she's being ordered meds/treatments? This is where I think she's at. I don't think they just found her "fine" one day. Therapy and treatment is a process and it doesn't happen overnight. So much is unavailable in this case which also makes it frustrating to me.

My mind keeps coming back to the fact that JP has distanced CD from LV for ages and has refused to call her Mrs. Daybell or even Mrs. Vallow Daybell and has corrected himself numerous times. Only recently, he now refers to her as Mrs. Daybell and even corrected himself when he stated Vallow. Why is it now important for his client to stay on good terms with Mrs. Vallow-Daybell?

As of now, she's going first so we'll see. I personally think the trial will go on as planned.

Ha, ha. The Chin had a lot more compassion for others than Lori. He was caught on prison phone expressing concern for victims (not his own, of course). I think chances are, if someone chats on the phone with Lori about a crime (not her own), her response won't be the same as The Chin, which I believe was approximately "Oh, no! Were any children killed?" The conversation was the one that prosecutors used to prove he was not incompetent.

Not to say that Lori's apparent lack of compassion for anyone does not mean she's incompetent, of course. If she is able to manipulate by putting on a compassion show (for example, calming JJ after returning from picking up Melanie to show off for the baby sitter) she is competent. If she can't manipulate, I would believe she's incompetent. Manipulation is her MO, and it is about the most practical skill to have institutionalized. So she won't be able to fake it long. She will slip up and manipulate.

MOO

Ha, ha. The Chin had a lot more compassion for others than Lori. He was caught on prison phone expressing concern for victims (not his own, of course). I think chances are, if someone chats on the phone with Lori about a crime (not her own), her response won't be the same as The Chin, which I believe was approximately "Oh, no! Were any children killed?" The conversation was the one that prosecutors used to prove he was not incompetent.

Not to say that Lori's apparent lack of compassion for anyone does not mean she's incompetent, of course. If she is able to manipulate by putting on a compassion show (for example, calming JJ after returning from picking up Melanie to show off for the baby sitter) she is competent. If she can't manipulate, I would believe she's incompetent. Manipulation is her MO, and it is about the most practical skill to have institutionalized. So she won't be able to fake it long. She will slip up and manipulate.

MOO

He was great at the fakery... kept it going for a long time! Lori just ain't got the stamina nor a bathrobe ;)

There will be a hearing tomorrow for Lori Vallow at 10:30AM MST. It’s open to the public at Ada County courthouse. Regarding what? No specifics. It is Lori Vallow.

@Niner

Okay. A better person than I would wait until tomorrow patiently.

I have to try to guess the possibilities.

1) Plea deal

2) Claim of incompetence

3) Waive speedy trial

Anyone have any others?

MOO

1) Plea deal

2) Claim of incompetence

3) Waive speedy trial

Anyone have any others?

MOO
Hmmm. Nothing on the Court site or the Ada County judicial site. Still says Reservations are not available at this time (regarding the trial.)

My guess for a while has been a plea. But your idea of waiving a speedy trial is a close second.

1) Plea deal

2) Claim of incompetence

3) Waive speedy trial

Anyone have any others?

MOO

JMO, I think it will have to do with delaying the trial so I guess #3 with fred&edna's #4 being a close competitor. :D

5) My immediate thought was that it has something to do with jury selection - timing, scheduling, quantity of prospects they will need to bring to court to wade through, voir dire questions, and the like
6) There have also been possibilities of "late evidence" issues that can emerge going forward, as to whether something should be excluded. It's always possible that some issue already exists.
7) I think it's too soon for this, but another possibility is that they may have received the additional DNA lab results, that they had been awaiting, leading to a need to discuss how they will be handled.
8) Or it might be a hearing to deal with the state's motion to disallow Lori's alibi defense -- although, I frankly have a hard time understanding how, on procedural grounds, the state can keep Lori from being allowed to show proof and evidence of why she didn't do this crime. (There's also the issue of how they can ask for an alibi, and offer one, when the date/time/place of death is less than specific.)

Wednesday, March 29th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 10:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) – *Lori Norene Vallow aka Lori Norene Daybell (46/now 49) arrested (in Kauai, Hawaii on 2/20/20) & indicted & charged (5/25/21) & re-arraigned (4/19/22) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4(for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): Chad only: 1st Degree murder. Count 7: Lori only: Grand theft (related to social security survivor benefits allocated for the care of minors Tylee & JJ). Plead not guilty. DA will seek DP. Was transferred to Ada County jail on 3/22/23. Fremont County
Conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence charges dismissed without prejudice on 7/29/21. Fremont County
Resisting or obstructing LE, solicitation of a crime & contempt of court. All charges were dismissed on 1/3/22. Madison County
Trial set to begin on 4/3/23 with jury selection (3 or 4 days) & trial thru 6/9/23 @ 9am. Trial will be held in Ada County. (will last about 10 weeks) Trials have been severed.

Arrest & Grand Jury & Competency & Court info from 3/5/20 thru 3/15/23 reference post #970 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bell-charles-vallow-arrests-67.655419/page-49

3/21/23 Update: Judge Steven Boyce has granted a motion by Daybell’s attorneys to take the death penalty (filed 3/5/23) off the table. A hearing just wrapped up. This means jury selection & the trial will likely be shorter as there won’t be a sentencing phase. Instead, Judge Boyce will issue Daybell’s sentence if she is found guilty. Judge will give is decision on the late evidence by Prosecutors will be admissible on 3/22/23.
3/21/23: Proposed jury instructions filed by defense. Proposed jury instructions & verdict form filed by the State. 3/22/23: State's response to defendant's Notice of Alibi. Prosecutors response to Vallow's alibi. Vallow claims she was at her apt w/Melanie Gibb, David Warwick and/or Chad Daybell when her kids died in her brother's apt. She was allegedly in Hawaii when Tammy Daybell died. State intends to call to testify: Melanie Gibb, Melanie Pawlowski, David Warwick, Shawn Derrick, Zulema Pastenes, Ron Ball, David Stubbs & Ray Hermsillo.
3/22/23: Order: On Cross-Motions in Limine. The Court GRANTS the State's Motion in Limine to prevent Vallow from introducing evidence of a mental condition in contravention of Idaho Code Section 18-207(4); & upon representation from the State that it does not plan to call Dr. Welner during its case-in-chief. The Court also GRANTS Vallow's oral motion to preclude the State from calling Welner to testify. However, should Vallow open the door & introduce evidence on the issue of a mental condition within the scope of Welner's expertise, the State would be permitted to call Welner to testify. On 3/5/23 Vallow filed a Motion in Limine seeking an order from the Court to preclude permitting the State to present all of the evidence contained in its 13th Supplemental Discovery Disclosure, filed 2/27/23, arguing that the discovery was both late & so substantial that the Defense was irreparably hindered in being prepared for trial as a result of the discovery "dump". The deadline to disclose witnesses was 3/20/23. As such, Vallow's Motion in Limine to prevent the testimony of witnesses disclosed thru the 13th Supplemental Discovery Disclosure is DENIED. Vallow's Motion in Limine to preclude the Arizona Certified Documents comprising 25 pages is DENIED. Vallow's Motion in Limine to preclude the use of the Astrea Report (DNA evidence) is DENIED. The judge denied this motion to exclude the late DNA evidence, stating that the lateness was caused by disputes about consumptive testing. Additionally, the defense knew in advance that the evidence could be important, yet they insisted on a speedy trial. The Defense Motion in Limine to preclude the use of the FBI reports & to preclude the witnesses from testifying is DENIED. The Court will DENY the Motion in Limine for grand jury witnesses & reports. PATCTECH-Glenn Bard Report. Because the Court does not have the report before it to review, the Court defers ruling on this piece of evidence. Pyschic Lambert Report. Given the representations of the State that is not introducing this evidence at trial, the Court will GRANT the Motion in Limine to bar its introduction. Vallow's Motion in Limine as to the information given by the Rexburg Police Dept. is DENIED. The Court does not find anything contained in this disclosure to require prohibiting the introduction of this information at trial. SSA Investigator Mark Saari who testifying at the Grand Jury, the State learned of evidence Saari possessed & requested copies that the State then disclosed to the Defense, which did not change the evidence. The Defense’s Motion in Limine to preclude the use of the documents & to preclude the witness from testifying is DENIED.
3/23/22: Petition for issuance of a Certificate for Issuance of a Foreign Subpoena. Affidavit in support of petition. Jury selection begins on 4/3/23 @ 9am. Should run about a week & trial will take maybe 2 months or more.
3/28/23 Update: Pretrial hearing is scheduled on 3/29/23.
*Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 54) – Pretrial motions hearing on 3/2/23. Trial was set to begin on 4/3/23 was vacated.
*AZ – *Charge Vallow (62) shot on July 11, 2019. Lori Norene Vallow indicted (6/24/21) & served (6/29/21) with 1 count of conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder in the death of former husband Charles Vallow . Maricopa County
Case info reference post #970:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bell-charles-vallow-arrests-67.655419/page-49

It's strange how sometimes Twitter links are open/readable (without clicking the link) but other times they aren't. It's likely something on my end of the computing thing.
Although I run into the same problem at times, this time it’s my fault. I should have said posts on this hearing can be found here. Sorry

Can’t believe that LVD’s attorneys are trying to exclude the Woodcocks as victims and exclude them from trial during testimony.

As usual, Boyce not ruling on this now but will have a written ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member