ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell, Charles Vallow *Arrests* #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of tweets for Monday, April 24th -
State witness: Rexburg Police Det. David Stubbs (back on stand) for direct / Part 1

Nate Eaton
@NateNewsNow
·
1h
Week 4 of Lori Vallow Daybell’s trial begins today. Rexburg Police Det. David Stubbs just walked into the courthouse. He is back on the stand this morning. I’ll be posting live updates all day.

Stubbs.jpg

In the courtroom. Testimony will begin this morning with Rexburg Det. David Stubbs. He was on the stand Thursday afternoon, when court was last in session, and the prosecution will continue questioning.

Lori's sister, Summer Shiflet, just walked into the courtroom with her husband. Summer is here with her uncle (Janis Cox's brother) and his daughter.

Jim Archibald just shook Summer's hand. Lori has glanced back at her family, who are sitting in the second row of the center section.

Bailiff is giving instruction to courtroom attendees. No photos, no talking, no snacking.

Det. Stubbs enters the courtroom. I spotted retired Rexburg Det. Dave Hope walking into the courtroom this morning. I assume he will take the stand today or tomorrow. It's likely Summer Shiflet will also testify this week.

Summer and family are sitting in the rows reserved for the prosecution - not the defense. She is able to be in here for other witnesses because Judge Boyce deemed her Tylee's representative.

Stubbs describes how police searched the 3 units associated with Lori at the Rexburg complex - Lori's apt, Alex's apt and Melani's apt. Stubbs says inside Melani's apartment, officers found a binder full of several credit cards belonging to Melani and her ex-husband Brandon.

Stubbs has analyzed hundreds of electronic devices over the years. He has been to special classes and training to learn how to retrieve information on devices. Officers look for any communication, photos, emails, apps, etc. on a suspect's phone.

Stubbs says if Google or other types of accounts/apps are found on suspect's phone, warrants can be issued to the companies for the info. those companies are storing. Stubbs has worked w/Amazon, Google, Fitbit and other companies that return data after search warrants are served.

Stubbs says "several" electronic search warrants were prepared in Lori's case. When asked for a number, he says 20-21. Smith now asks to admit an exhibit.

Lori has been taking notes this morning. She does not appear to be looking back at her sister much.

The exhibit shows 20 electronic search warrants that Stubbs prepared. It's shown on the big screen in the courtroom. Stubbs describes the first warrant sent to Verizon for Lori's phone.

Other warrants included in the list are Google accounts associated with Lori. Stubbs says a "mass" amount of data was returned. "Because of the size of the data they gave us, we distributed it between myself and other investigators in the case."

Another warrant was issued to Verizon after a bill associated to 18 phones was found in a Sugar City PO Box. The account was in the name of Lori Vallow.

Stubbs says when Lori left her apartment, a lot of stuff was left behind. The landlords went in to clean and found two abandoned phones inside the unit.

They were turned over to the police and Stubbs says there were two email addresses associated to the phone: raylamar@gmail.com and homerjmaximus@gmail.com. Both email addresses belonged to Alex Cox.

Stubbs says they requested the phone companies perform a live "tap and trace" search of phone numbers associated to Lori Vallow, Alex Cox and Tylee Ryan to see if they could find their location.

Stubbs says two of the phones traced to Kauai. He says when officers found Lori in Hawaii, 10 devices were found inside Lori's rental car. They were seized.

Stubbs says when items were seized out of the car in Hawaii, there was a notebook containing almost a whole page of email addresses and phone numbers. Police issued a warrant for each of the email addresses.

A warrant was also issued for a music account associated with Lori and Alex but that company did not store any data. Another warrant was issued for items found in Melani's apartment.

Next warrant was issued after the children were found buried at Chad's house. "The goal of this warrant was to get very specific readings of all parts of the property" in relation to cell phone pinging, Stubbs says. This was done in conjunction with the FBI.

Stubbs wrote a search warrant to get geolocation data on the cell phones which contained hundreds of thousands of records.

Next warrant: "If you were to drop a pin in the middle of Chad's property and make a circle 250 meters out - the size of about two and a half football fields - and then you did the same at Lori's apartment and ballooned it out as well...

we asked Google for any devices that would be within those circular fences. We wanted to know every device they could give us during certain time frames on key dates so we could see any additional devices that were moving or in common with these...

two locations on Sept. 8 and 9 and Sept. 22 and 23, which is the times we believe these murders occurred."

Stubbs says only one device had the commonalities during these specific days - and it belonged to Alex Cox.

Stubbs describes Google responded to the warrants with "serial numbers" and data - not personal information and names. Police took the locations of 12 specific devices/serial numbers and asked who those 12 people actually are.

They then narrowed it down to 10 devices and asked for information on those.

Officers then had a private company conduct their own investigation/search on two devices.

Stubbs says after the occupants of the apartment "left in haste," officers tried to get a hold of Lori, Chad and Alex. "The next thing for us to do was to try and figure out where they went," he says. This was in December 2019.

Smith asks to admit another exhibit into evidence. It's a document Stubbs and the FBI prepared for Google. It will be shown to the jury and audience.

Judge called for a sidebar. Jurors stand to stretch their legs.

Judge calls for an "impromptu" morning break. A juror told a bailiff she wasn't feeling well and the court needs to organize the file being admitted into evidence. Back in 15-20 minutes.

link: https://twitter.com/NateNewsNow

At what time of day did Chad google wind direction on Sunday Sept 8? Was Tylee still alive? This was the same day Tammy's life insurance was increased.

ETA: I see it was in the afternoon, so perhaps Tylee was still at Yellowstone with her family at that point.

Last edited:
Why did the defense not jump on it if MG's and DW's testimonies were problematic? If there was texting between them and L&C that night, LE have the contents and so does the defense. If they only have phone calls, their content is a matter of speculation.
This really puzzles me.

The nightmare thing triggers me, too.

DW admitted to watching some of MG's testimony, and Boyce said that the defense coujd bring that up in cross, because it does potentially taint DW's credibility.

But defense did not do so. Instead, they hammered on the credibility of his statements denying being "like minded" with the cultish beliefs of the accused. They showed David as interested in more than regular LDS church stuff.

I'm not sure what the goal was. Perhaps just to take focus off the proven evidence: Melanie attempted to contact both Lori and Chad in the middle of the night.

It's hard to imagine why. And I find it hard to accept the nightmare explanation. Maybe the defense did not want the jury to ask themselves if the nightmare made sense, and instead asked about visions and the end of the USA and stuff to keep the focus on DW as a hack visionary rather than asking, "wait, they called because of a nightmare?"

MOO.

Is it right to call him a co-conspirator when he's not listed as one? Anyway, I wouldn't go that far myself.

re telling the truth as a witness - isn't that issue at hand? ( the segment in the HTC show I listed already where Mathias is comparing what's been said, if you can manage to listen to it)

Thanks Gardenista. ( I didn't follow HTC's live tweets for the trial, followed other reporters instead)
Just found another one
Just speculating, but maybe the reason David asked to see JJ, after David's "nightmare" of the night before, was to ascertain if JJ was still alive.

Everything about this trial feels "off". 'Can't describe nor explain it exactly, but that's how I feel.

jmo
What feels "off" to me is that no coroner/medical examiner/forensic pathologist has yet testified about the victims autopsies or causes of death. Usually in murder trials. the prosecution has the medical experts testify right off the bat regarding the autpsies and the causes of death. But here we are two week (or is it three?) into the trial and no medical experts have yet testified. Why?

This really puzzles me.

The nightmare thing triggers me, too.

DW admitted to watching some of MG's testimony, and Boyce said that the defense coujd bring that up in cross, because it does potentially taint DW's credibility.

But defense did not do so. Instead, they hammered on the credibility of his statements denying being "like minded" with the cultish beliefs of the accused. They showed David as interested in more than regular LDS church stuff.

I'm not sure what the goal was. Perhaps just to take focus off the proven evidence: Melanie attempted to contact both Lori and Chad in the middle of the night.

It's hard to imagine why. And I find it hard to accept the nightmare explanation. Maybe the defense did not want the jury to ask themselves if the nightmare made sense, and instead asked about visions and the end of the USA and stuff to keep the focus on DW as a hack visionary rather than asking, "wait, they called because of a nightmare?"

MOO.
If you read ZP's text exchanges with Chad and Lori, they tended to attribute a lot of physical discomfort/ailments to spiritual warfare. ZP often asked Chad for a blessing and he would have an outlandish explanation for what was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wmarengel