Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone’s opinion on how Lori will react in court next week?

Who will be in control, Lori or Means?
Thanks

In my opinion, this is a train wreck. I don't think either will be in control. MM is simply not experienced in this area at all and it will show. This is not a movie.

I think JP did a very good job with very limited time and let's just say resources. I think CD is smarter than many may give him credit for and his attention to detail during the case says a lot.

LV is well not really experienced in the things that will be pertinent in the courtroom. There is no way she could try to control this. She'd be shut down.

I think many have stated that the PA has shown their hand more than one would in a typical prelim and we know the outcome. We now have several of the same witnesses and similar evidence. Do you think that was done for not only this case but ALSO the LV case so maybe hold their cards closer to their vest in that prelim. (That's a question, not what I necessarily think) Again, you just need enough probable cause to be bound over. Maybe they don't want to overplay their hand on the LV side?

What would be the pros and cons of waiving the prelim? I think MM is unqualified but beyond that. Would a scenario like that help/hurt the defense?

Something weird that bothered me about the call LV made when they were searching CDs property, she seems to have some sort of need to protect CD. Why? What does that do? What could she do from jail for him? How entangled is Means and Prior? All jmo
Reading your comment made me wonder what kind of story Lori, the immortal god, is telling herself about how she ended up in a small Idaho jail, wearing orange stripes. This could be one last test or trial that God is putting her through before she transcends this puny life. Maybe she really thinks she will be able to help Chad. And in the end they will triumph and go live on another planet.

I agree with most everyone that she is a venal narcissist, but once I heard the scripture beat down phone call with MG I realized that she also believes Chad’s claptrap to some degree.

Here's the Scott Reisch video. 38:57 is where he starts discussing if it's common to add murder charges after the preliminary hearing. Hope this clarifies!

They can pick and choose what is presented in a preliminary hearing.
It only needs to be enough to be sufficient to sway the Judge to the belief that enough evidence exists to proceed to trial.

They cannot keep anything from the defense when it comes to the trial -- all of the evidence is disclosed during discovery, but a preliminary hearing is very different from a trial in its design, intent and execution.
I totally agree with you. I wasn’t clear in my comment. I was trying to point that you can’t harm your case by divulging too much at the prelim. You said what was trying to convey.
Thanks for clarity!

I am still hopeful that maybe something will turn up with Tammy's autopsy. But it has been over 8 months now. Covid-19, notwithstanding.
Me too. I get that this isn’t like tv where the results are back after a commercial break. But test results are test results, and it seems they shouldn’t take this long. Especially in such a high profile case and with Tammy. It’s baffling to me. I would have expected all results back by now.

Two things that made me laugh today, in the midst of the trial. I was watching it on YouTube on Law & Crime's channel, with closed captions on.

At one point during Agent Daniels' testimony, the caption read "pet Sematary," and I thought, well, yes, this whole thing does almost seem like something from a Stephen King novel.

Second thing, which happened numerous times, is that the caption had Chad's name as "de Ville." Made me think Cruella de Ville, but she had a much nicer face than Chad...and I just realized they have the same initials, too! That captioner was on to something...

Your giving Lori wayyyyy to much credit, she want worried about Chad. Lori was worried about Lori. Without bodies the case was circumstanial, but the search of the propety probably freaked her out because she realized it mean real jail time
Possibly. The truth is, the more we learn the less we know about how LV and CD think. To me, it seemed odd; although almost all of what LV and CD have done seems odd to me. All jmo

I agree about Wood, he does not seem confident at all. He was reading from a paper when giving his closing arguments, seemed very nervous and unsure of himself. JMOO...I think he is super bright and makes convincing points but is not comfortable speaking in a courtroom with all eyes on him.

I thought RW did really well with objections and acted very quickly to quell some of JP fishing.

Here’s a question. Can the defense call their own witnesses in a preliminary hearing? Or is the hearing focused on state’s evidence to allow a trial to go forward?
@fuzzybutter No, the purpose of the prelimary trial is to prove the prosecution has probable cause for charging the defendant. The defense can cross examine the witnesses to try and refute the testimony but that it.

Here’s a question. Can the defense call their own witnesses in a preliminary hearing? Or is the hearing focused on state’s evidence to allow a trial to go forward?
I’m not a lawyer or have any experience here. But I’ve understood it as the preliminary hearing is for the prosecution to prove there’s enough evidence for trial. At trial, it’s up to the defense to provide enough doubt to clear their clients name. If I’m wrong someone feel free to correct me. So all jmo because I’m not an expert

Maybe go keep the results until trial, maybe to make sure everything is tested and accurate, maybe to wait for Tammy’s autopsy results to compare. Lots of possibilities. All jmo
I was just thinking about that strategy! So I have no idea how it works, but is it possible they have the results and just aren’t making that public?
But then I wonder, can they withhold that from the family? And Tammy’s is taking so long.
Just random thoughts and question coming up for me on the autopsies.
Then again, I’m reminded of how they found Tylee. And it makes me ill. How in the hell do you autopsy that. It’s all so horrific. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn