ID - Kenneth and Kenna Guardipee, Devin and Aiken Smith, all fatally shot by neighbor, Kellogg, June 2023

MrsWatson

Reaction score

An Idaho man appeared in court Tuesday accused of shooting dead his four neighbors after he became enraged at the teenage son of the family performing a sex act within sight of a window.

Majorjon Kaylor, 31, who has 'savage' tattooed above his eyebrow, reportedly told police he 'lost it', and acted to protect his three young children.

Kaylor told police that he 'snapped' and 'lost it' over the dispute, saying he had spoken to Kenna Guardipee and her father, but was upset that they did not appear to take his concerns seriously.

Killed were Kenneth Guardipee, 65; his daughter Kenna Guardipee, 41; and her sons 18-year-old Devin Smith and 16-year-old Aiken Smith. The family lived in the same multi-home building as Kaylor.

But there had been a recent conflict between the families, police said: A week before the shootings, Kaylor’s family called police to complain that 18-year-old Devin Smith was standing in front of his bedroom window, masturbating in view of Kaylor’s young daughters who were playing outside. Smith’s family lived in the bottom unit of the duplex, and Kaylor’s family lived in the top unit.

“We responded to the call, investigated the call, and the report was done that day and submitted to the prosecutor’s office for charges,” Kellogg Police Chief Paul Twidt said. “I stand by what my officer did, and he did everything he could at the time. Nobody could have foreseen anything like this.”

Killed were Kenneth Guardipee, 65; his daughter Kenna Guardipee, 41; and her sons 18-year-old Devin Smith and 16-year-old Aiken Smith. The family lived in the same multi-home building as Kaylor.

But there had been a recent conflict between the families, police said: A week before the shootings, Kaylor’s family called police to complain that 18-year-old Devin Smith was standing in front of his bedroom window, masturbating in view of Kaylor’s young daughters who were playing outside. Smith’s family lived in the bottom unit of the duplex, and Kaylor’s family lived in the top unit.

“We responded to the call, investigated the call, and the report was done that day and submitted to the prosecutor’s office for charges,” Kellogg Police Chief Paul Twidt said. “I stand by what my officer did, and he did everything he could at the time. Nobody could have foreseen anything like this.”

Egads. What do WSers think about the legitimacy of the original complaint, rationale for the mass murder and likely consequences?

A very strange case.

Egads. What do WSers think about the legitimacy of the original complaint, rationale for the mass murder and likely consequences?

A very strange case.
It does seem the oldest son who was a victim does have some history of inappropriate behavior,not that it's any kind of excuse. I think this guy was a hot head with a gun. There were a thousand other solutions to this. Back in the olden days, I think he would have just kicked the victim's arse.

A very strange case.
Very strange indeed. I have to assume the original complaint is valid, though I don't think murder is the correct response (stating the obvious, I know).

A very strange case.he did
he did it immediately so he may have a chance at a crime of passion case. killing the whole family was not the answer and he def was a hot head but <modsnip - no link to an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
he did it immediately so he may have a chance at a crime of passion case. killing the whole family was not the answer and he def was a hot head but <modsnip - no link to an approved source>
What do you mean by "he did it immediately"? What have I missed? My understanding is the murders took place many days after the indecent exposure incident?

We only have the killer's word for what happened,<modsnip - quoted post was snipped> Even with the victim's history of inappropriate behavior, there's been no information about the victim committing any sort of crime other than public nudity right now and whatever the charge is for doing the other. Which occurred in his own house. Not excusing that whole thing, (ew) but shooting the entire family isn't exactly the solution.

And a crime of passion wouldn't include the entire family, imo.

Immediately also doesn't seem to figure in.

From the AP article:

He killed the entire family one week after the alleged indecent exposure incident by one member of that family. LE was notified, came out, investigated, and passed the results of their investigation to the prosecutor. I don't think he can claim crime of passion. Now if he'd shot Devin the day of I might buy the whole "snapped" dealio.

But IMO this guy didn't snap. He sat around stewing and feeding his anger at his neighbors. Then decided to have a confrontation with them rather than allow the courts and LE to act upon their allegations against the 18 year old neighbor son.

----------------------------------------------------
On Sunday evening, Kaylor and his wife got into an argument with the neighbor's mother over the alleged indecent exposure incident and the possibility that he would face no consequences, the affidavit says, citing Kaylor's wife, Kaylie Kaylor.
Idaho man accused of killing 4 ‘lost it’ after neighbor allegedly exposed himself to family

The police department recommended that Smith be charged with indecent exposure, a misdemeanor, Twidt said, and the prosecutor's office told the officer the charge would be filed. There was no record of the charge in the online court system on Tuesday, however, which could mean that Smith had not yet been served with the formal charges before he died, or that the case had not yet been made public for another reason.
"Horrific" details emerge after Idaho dad accused of killing 4 neighbors, including 2 teens

A few days before the shootings, Kaylor's wife Kaylie posted on Facebook saying that 18-year-old Devin Smith was standing in front of his bedroom window, masturbating in view of her and their young daughters who were playing outside. Smith's family lived in the bottom unit of the duplex, and Kaylor's family lived in the top unit.
[snip]
Kaylor told police that Devin Smith had been acting suspiciously and watching his kids, according to the criminal complaint. He told police he complained to the mother and grandfather and they didn't seem to take his accusations "seriously enough," Kaylor said. He said he "lost it" and "did something about it."
[snip]
On the evening of June 18, around 6:00 p.m. Kaylor put on a holstered gun before going out to water the plants in the apartment's shared backyard, the criminal complaint said. Police obtained video surveillance that captured the altercation and gunshots, the court documents said.

Kaylor's wife Kaylie said she heard shots and saw Kenna Guardipee fall to the ground, then saw Kenneth Guardipee fall to the ground, court documents said. All four victims were shot point blank or near point blank in the head, except for Devin Smith who was shot multiple times at close range, court documents said.
"Horrific" details emerge after Idaho dad accused of killing 4 neighbors, including 2 teens

Yep, I know when I "snap" I always have the presence of mind to put on my gun holster and water my plants while packin :rolleyes:

Kenna Guardipee was a dedicated mother, Lori Schierman, a lifelong family friend.

“She raised them boys on her own with her dad’s help,” Schierman said.

Aiken Smith, her younger son, was a “super good kid,” James said. He found community and purpose in the junior ROTC program, she said.

“He was very dedicated,” James said. “He was committed to the Air Force, and it was his dream to go do that.”

Devin Smith had recently graduated from Kellogg High School and struggled with a learning disability and social cues, James said. The teenager had worked hard to move past his issues, she said.

A very strange case.
I think people in general are on edge, and tired of watching sex offenders (I know the victim wasn't a sex offender) walking free after pathetically short sentences (if they're sentenced at all) just to re-offend. Obviously none of that justifies what this man did, but I won't be surprised to see more of this kind of crime. Unbalanced people in a society where predatory criminals roam free, is a recipe for disaster.

I agree with @MrsWatson, back in the day he'd have gone over and beat the hello out of him, and that would've likely been the end of the story.

jmo

Kenna Guardipee was "super sweet and kindhearted," said Katy James, a longtime family friend.
Kenna Guardipee worked in the kitchen at Mountain Valley of Cascadia, an assisted living facility across the street from the duplex.
Merissa Anderson, who worked with Guardipee, said she was "very strong-willed" and hardworking.
On tough days, Guardipee was a bright light to her coworkers, Anderson said.
"She'd always give me a hug and say it will get better," Anderson said.
[snip]
The family had just moved into the duplex where they were killed.
'Sweet and kindhearted': Friends remember Kellogg family killed in weekend shooting

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back