ID - Ranchers wife: I saw them murder my husband

“I put the [skid loader’s] lights on him and the bull, and [Yantis] lined up to shoot the bull in the back of head and put him out humanely,” Paradis said. “Everything was going as planned. … Then the one cop turned around and grabbed his shoulder and jerked him backward.”

Paradis said the rancher’s rifle accidentally went off, which prompted two deputies to shoot Yantis in the chest and abdomen.

The sheriff told the Statesman on Thursday his deputies were wearing body cameras during the shooting. It was not stated whether their cameras were recording.

A vehicle dash camera for the men was not turned on, the newspaper reported.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/11/cops-under-fire-for-senseless-murder-of-cattle-rancher/

Idaho State Police are investigating. The department did not respond to requests for information Monday on the status of public record requests for body camera video from the shooting. Zollman previously indicated that two deputies at the scene had body cameras, but ISP investigators have not confirmed that.

Investigators have not revealed whether the cameras were even on; a dashboard camera in the deputies’ car was not.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43925832.html

“I put the [skid loader’s] lights on him and the bull, and [Yantis] lined up to shoot the bull in the back of head and put him out humanely,” Paradis said. “Everything was going as planned. … Then the one cop turned around and grabbed his shoulder and jerked him backward.”

Paradis said the rancher’s rifle accidentally went off, which prompted two deputies to shoot Yantis in the chest and abdomen.

The sheriff told the Statesman on Thursday his deputies were wearing body cameras during the shooting. It was not stated whether their cameras were recording.

A vehicle dash camera for the men was not turned on, the newspaper reported.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/11/cops-under-fire-for-senseless-murder-of-cattle-rancher/

IMO reporting is so bad today its hard to know what the truth is. Paradis said the rancher's rifle accidentally went off. Only the rancher would know that and he's not around to verify.

IMO reporting is so bad today its hard to know what the truth is. Paradis said the rancher's rifle accidentally went off. Only the rancher would know that and he's not around to verify.

IMO it would be clear to observers if the rifle went off accidentally.

If Yantis was pointing the rifle at the bull and then he was jerked back by the officer and the rifle fired off in a "random direction" then it WAS accidental. If he swung around and pointed the rifle at the officers then it was NOT accidental.

I suspect Yantis was peeved off when he saw that the officers had shot his bull multiple times and never once delivered a clean head shot, he was likely grumbling and one of the officers got angry as a result.

Regardless there appear to be a whole lot of angry people in that little town. The PD had to call in help because they are being emotionally traumatized due to the unpleasant calls and comments.

With all due respect - disagree that only the rancher would know what happened. Nephew Paradis was about 10 feet away and gives his account of what happened. And DY (wife) was close as well.

Imo, what will be telling is, will the public be able to know if the deputies had their body cams on? What is known as per above linked articles is, the dash cam was off. True or not true?

The deputies made a decision to draw their weapons and shoot the bull. Along with that, imo, their body cams and dash cam should have been activated - by the deputies. If they did not turn the dash cam on, why not? Will the public be told they did not activate the body cams? Who will know other than the state police investigating?

There are problems with this case if one wants to google further articles. I chose not to link any as some observes can be strong in their opinion of well, you know, US LE in general. Crisis counselors brought in for the local LE and dispatchers, one dispatcher taking stress leave, hate mail towards local LE, accusations of on-going problems with local LE since this head deputy was voted in. Not pretty.

All jmo.

I respect every posters right to make up their minds on what occurred on whatever info they have & when they got it. I may not be as perceptive. I need more info. BTW the family & LE are asking for more witnesses to come forward.

I respect every posters right to make up their minds on what occurred on whatever info they have & when they got it. I may not be as perceptive. I need more info. BTW the family & LE are asking for more witnesses to come forward.

I believe it is the Sheriff who has requested witnesses to come forward. Which I suspect is just part of a cover up. How many witnesses do they think there was on a country road in the dark? Why do they need any witnesses to come forward? Their officers were on the scene. They should be able to find out from them what happened. Typical cover up. Make sure there are no witnesses to contradict them, before they come up with a BS story.

Idahoan here, although I don't live in the Council area. IMO, there is not enough
information and facts to draw conclusions, speaking for myself. I have learned (from following cases at WS!) to withhold judgement until I have more info.

I don't think the following has been posted about the people whose car hit the bull:

"It kept charging emergency personnel crew who were trying to get them out of the car and trying to take care of them and that's why the deputies were going to put it down," said Ellis

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2015/11/09/council-rancher-vigil-family-of-couple-driving-speaks/75438844/

A few other facts that I'm not sure have been posted:
The area where the bull was hit is "open range," which in Idaho means the driver of the vehicle is responsible for reinbursing the ranchers.

The bull was black, and it was dark when this happened. Knowing this helps me visualize the scene better.

There is a data base called Idaho Repository that is helpful for me when looking at credibility of people in a case.

Idahoan here, although I don't live in the Council area. IMO, there is not enough
information and facts to draw conclusions, speaking for myself. I have learned (from following cases at WS!) to withhold judgement until I have more info.

I don't think the following has been posted about the people whose car hit the bull:

"It kept charging emergency personnel crew who were trying to get them out of the car and trying to take care of them and that's why the deputies were going to put it down," said Ellis

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...gil-family-of-couple-driving-speaks/75438844/

That video link also shows the condition of the vehicle that hit the bull and the highway where it happened.

Rancher’s memorial service set for Sunday, ‘peaceful protest’ for Saturday

Includes diagram of where everyone stood according to Jack Yantis nephew
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43812258.html

Barrow, who was born and raised in Council and now lives in the Treasure Valley, said organizers are requesting that no guns or other weapons be brought to the event.

Barrow said that if anyone does show up armed or starts to cause trouble, the event will be shut down.

A few other facts that I'm not sure have been posted:
The area where the bull was hit is "open range," which in Idaho means the driver of the vehicle is responsible for reinbursing the ranchers.

The bull was black, and it was dark when this happened. Knowing this helps me visualize the scene better.

There is a data base called Idaho Repository that is helpful for me when looking at credibility of people in a case.

How much would a bull cost? Does car insurance cover it in an open range areas?

Car insurance does cover it. I don't know about the price, in the thousands for sure. My understanding is that this was an important blood line bull.

Car insurance does cover it. I don't know about the price, in the thousands for sure. My understanding is that this was an important blood line bull.

Thanks. I found more about the bull in the original Idaho Statesman article.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43654638.html

Yantis had raised and tamed the 2,500-pound black Gelbvieh bull, similar to an Angus, named Keiford. Its rear leg was shattered by the collision with a Subaru station wagon. The bull started charging people at the crash scene.

Paradis walked down to check out the situation. The injured bull had made its way back to the driveway and was lying in the grass.

“He knew he was home,” Paradis said. “He was hurt. But he is still an Angus bull on the fight.”

I would guess Keiford could easily have been worth twenty thousand or more. Year old Gelbvieh bulls apparently sell in the 7 thousand dollar range and an adult would likely be worth MUCH more since they are proven producers. http://www.gelbvieh.org/exchange/salereports.html

Secondly bulls are NOT like horses when it comes to leg injuries. If Yantis had been called immediately and been able to get the bull out of there before the situation escalated it is possible Keiford could have recovered. If the bull was able to run around and charge vehicles then his leg injury may not have been life threatening.

The fact that Yantis did NOT bring his rifle when he first went down there is very telling IMO. That makes me think Yantis hoped Keiford could be saved, it also shows Yantis was not afraid of the animal.

That brings up the question of how long did LEO wait before calling him? Obviously Keiford was hurt and afraid, having a ton of vehicles and people show up with flashing lights would make matters worse. Did the officers think they could "handle it themselves" and call Yantis after the situation had escalated out of control? If Yantis had gotten there sooner could he have saved Keiford or at the very least saved him from being tortured?

IMO it is possible that Yantis was very peeved off, especially after hearing "WWIII" as he was rushing to tend to Keiford. Perhaps the police felt foolish when he showed up, perhaps Yantis was obviously perturbed at the way the situation had been handled (or botched) and that lead to the officer grabbing Yantis to show "who's boss".

I believe this case is VERY different than most other LEO shootings involving suspects or known criminals. They chose to call Yantis to the scene for his help, the man was eating dinner with his family and then the police summoned him to the scene.

IMO if I were on that jury one of those cops had better be sporting a very obvious bullet wound from Yantis' rifle along with other proof to back up their story else I would convict them for murder.

Sheriff held a town hall meeting last night, 10 days after the shooting. He says he does not know if the body cams were on! He has no idea if they were used, or not used etc... Really? That is ridiculous.

Meanwhile the ISD investigators are begging for witnesses likely because they have nothing to prove the officer's side of the story.

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...sses-shooting-death-council-rancher/75556400/

After nearly 45 minutes of questions from the community, some residents became angry and walked out of the church.

At one point, Zollman said, "We are innocent until proven guilty," which prompted laughter from several people in the audience.

One individual asked Zollman if he would step down from the position if he hired, "two murderers," which Zollman responded as, "No. I will absolutely not."

http://www.kivitv.com/news/questions-surround-death-of-jack-yantis-at-community-forum

That brings up the question of how long did LEO wait before calling him? Obviously Keiford was hurt and afraid, having a ton of vehicles and people show up with flashing lights would make matters worse. Did the officers think they could "handle it themselves" and call Yantis after the situation had escalated out of control? If Yantis had gotten there sooner could he have saved Keiford or at the very least saved him from being tortured?

SB&UBM

From the article in post #1, a dispatcher called the Yantis residence -

The Yantises, Paradis (pronounced PAR-a-dis) and a family friend, Joe Rumsey, were finishing dinner about 6:45 p.m. Sunday ....

An Adams County Sheriff’s Office dispatcher called. One of the family’s bulls had just been hit by a car on the highway, and the Yantises needed to go take care of it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/article43673037.html

Initially the deputies responded to an accident where people were trapped in an SUV and a bull was injured - body cams were on or off?

Initially the deputies responded to an accident where people were trapped in an SUV and a bull was injured - body cams were on or off?

Apparently the Sheriff claims he doesn't know, and no one else is talking. That tells me the body cameras were almost certainly OFF. As another poster pointed out why didn't they turn them when they realized they would be discharging their weapons the first time?

If they had evidence proving this was a justified shooting I believe they would release some of it or at least talk about it to calm people down.

I want to know when the accident was first called in. Sounds like it was a while before Yantis was called if the EMT workers were already on scene trying to get the passenger out of the car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back