IF KC Were to Plea - Reactions/Ramifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If KC were to plea out, I'm interested in hearing what the reactions would be on three levels:
1. Legal -
2. Ant Family - How do you think CA & GA would react? Would an accepted plea bring them peace of a sort? Would the spin stop?
3. Your Reaction - How would you feel about KC accepting a plea? Would you place any conditions on it? Would you feel as if justice has been served?
1. From JB's point a view, perhaps a deal which included the story of a dumpster would be good. It's unlikely that anyone will ever be able to question or dispute, or know the real truth (unless bones are discovered by accident sometime in the future).
2. I think the family may have a much different reaction shown to the public as opposed to what they privately hope for. A plea bargain would most certainly take the focus off of Caylee's biological father, as there would be no need to show DNA evidence, motive or any other factors enhanced by that knowledge. Many have speculated (with good cause) that there are family secrets. "Family secrets" could remain private with a Plea deal, making the deal advantageous to GA and CA.
3. Justice will never be served in this case. Too many people will continue to make small fortunes selling their version of events, all at the expense of that young child.

I went and looked that up the other day, because I was thinking that, too.
I was really tempted to send a link to FL SA just as a reminder to think carefully before offering any kind of a plea.
That woman should still be rotting in jail, it makes me sick.
Lanie

I'm also trying to decide if either of her lawyers remind me of JB. Still thinking about it.

Footnote: Makes me even sicker that she is now a Mother. As with KC, some people should not be allowed to have children.

In my opinion, a plea deal would be one where an accident is claimed and then panic set in--hence the lies. The parents would accept an accident if that what was allowed. The case would be over and her sentence, light.

I agree that the only way a plea deal would come in to play would be the accident theory...but not sure her sentence would be light. I can't imagine a judge would take too kindly to her using thousands of LE man hours and dollars...all because she wouldn't tell the truth. As far as Cindy and George, if this happened, their take on it would probably be how KC was just trying to protect them from her mistake. I can't imagine any scenario where they wouldn't spin it to try to make KC look good.

I think a plea deal will or has been offered. I think that because there is always talk of it when JB goes on Geraldo. I think the two buddies would agree not to mention it if it were not possible. That doesn't mean it will be taken. I think the deal would be to some kind of manslaughter, obstruction and the fraud charges. The manslaughter would be the big ticket item, and the other sentences would be concurrent- my guess. I'm thinking 15-20 years, mandatory of "some" time, probably the 15. She's crazy if it's offered and she doesn't take it, my opinion.

I don't the family will accept her role in any of it - even if the body were found, it would be mysterious nanny or the media or aliens or something...

I would think of a deal as justice - just because I'm afraid something will get booted and she'll walk........and that would be a crime against humanity.

I am sure there are many other examples, but if you want to research a 'plea deal gone really bad' read up on the Karla Homolka & Paul Bernardo case. KC reminds me of Karla.
I hadn't even thought to compare, but darned if you're not right.

Unmitigated evil, the both of them.

My reaction would be yee-haw as long as the provision was to produce the location of an actual Caylee-not hey I put her in a dumpster so have fun with all of that....

Interesting series of questions. Interesting answers.

If Caylee's skull was fractured,bones broken or anything that would make Casey look more monstrous than she already does anyhint that leads to finding Caylee won't be an option.

I don't know what Casey did. I don't think her family does either. But, her family has made it evident that they suspect Casey is capable of the worst.

If I smelled decompostion on my daughter's car, I WOULD first think dead animal, NOT body in the trunk.

IMO

Bash me if you wish, but I say NO PLEA. LE has already lost 2 opportunites to get her, One they arrested WAY TOO SOON. She would have inadvertently led them to the body.
2. Now they took the DP off the table, so she has little reason to ever tell where Klee is. No DP and LWOP, or 25 yrs. to life, is the only fair reason for a plea, in exchange for leading them to Klee. BUT she knows she can't say accident or lead them because what she did is too heinous. IMO

True examples right here in NY. Arthur Shawcross, one of the most despicable killers ever, took a plea after mutilating 2 children and leaving them in a creek. He did 7-15 yrs. at the most, only to be released and go on to kill at least 12 more women before being caught and sentenced to LWOP.
Another plea allowed a guy here to be out on bail while awaiting sentencing after a lesser plea. While out for only 3 days he brutally killed another.

My oldest son was attacked by 4 older teens at an after school free shoot inside basketball court. All they wanted was the gold chain around his neck. They left purple bruises where they pulled it off and beat him. No one could hear his pleas for help, until a coach happened to be walking toward the back to get something and finally heard.
The liberal judge let all of them off, even though they had priors. My son felt so angry and I told him not to fret, I truly believed in Karma.
Two months later the ring leader was killed as he attempted to commit a second break in at a store. The owner was sitting there waiting for him to slip inside the store window. Had someone ended it earlier this kid probably would still be alive and my family and son would have had justice.

The Ants are only protecting themselves at this point, they are in too deep now. :furious:

<snipped>
I've begun to re-think my statement of the plea being negotiated, in light of JB asking for video tapes..that means to me she isn't wavering...yet

Yes, that does lend itself to my belief that she won't plea.

I do not think there will be a plea deal. i don't think KC would ever admit guilt in any form.
Remember, a plea is not necessarily a bad thing. it would insure that she would go to jail and save the taxpayers lots of money.
She can always get acquitted at trial and walk. Not saying I think that will happen, but plea deals are often as much for the prosecution as they are for the defense.

Yes, that does lend itself to my belief that she won't plea.

I just cannot begin to imagine his opening statement.

Unless he waltzes in there with her in his arms, KC is up the creek.

Remember..the state hasn't DROPPED the fraud charges that can get her 30 years. They just postponed it until this is over. So They will prosecute that too Im sure.

This is gonna be the trial of trials. I cant help but think, JB knows he's in over his head, he's plea bargaining this and getting out of trying it...but then he does this tape request baloney.

Im getting bored, can I request another doc dump please?

I do not think there will be a plea deal. i don't think KC would ever admit guilt in any form.
Remember, a plea is not necessarily a bad thing. it would insure that she would go to jail and save the taxpayers lots of money.
She can always get acquitted at trial and walk. Not saying I think that will happen, but plea deals are often as much for the prosecution as they are for the defense.

If there IS a plea, does that mean all the evidence that hasn't been released to the public would then never come out? Would we not get to hear the details of the "case" the SA's office has against Casey?

If there IS a plea, does that mean all the evidence that hasn't been released to the public would then never come out? Would we not get to hear the details of the "case" the SA's office has against Casey?
IMO the evidence and information would still be released to the public under the Sunshine Law. Public access to information is constrained now because the State balances the interests of justice re: the impending trial with the statutorily codified public right to information. Once a plea was finalized, I think most of the evidence/info would be released because it is a matter of public interest.

IMO the evidence and information would still be released to the public under the Sunshine Law. Public access to information is constrained now because the State balances the interests of justice re: the impending trial with the statutorily codified public right to information. Once a plea was finalized, I think most of the evidence/info would be released because it is a matter of public interest.

Nancy, thank you for your response. So the defense couldn't make it a condition of the plea bargain that none of the state's evidence against her be made public? I thought that was done at times in some plea bargains.

Nancy, thank you for your response. So the defense couldn't make it a condition of the plea bargain that none of the state's evidence against her be made public? I thought that was done at times in some plea bargains.

I think the defense would probably try to keep the prosecution's evidence under seal, but I think the existence of the Sunshine Law would make that pretty impossible. Florida has gone above and beyond all states IMO re: the public's right to access information. If the public has a right to information during the pretrial phase, I can't believe that right would be diminished after the State has made a plea with an admitted criminal. The public's interest in the information would only be enhanced by a plea deal, IMO. I think some things could remain under seal, like the alleged 1200 graphic photos, etc. But IMO the media will move to make sure the public has access to the majority of State's evidence.

I agree with Nancy Botwin, that that would not happen.

If the evidence is available to the public/media, through state statutes, then JB cannot make an agreement which supercedes the law.

It runs parellel to the notion that one cannot contract so as to circumvent existing law. That is not going to be an enforceable agreement.

Agreed. A plea deal with would be against the law or the policy of the law would be void or voidable.

If there were a plea deal on the violent crimes alleged, or some form of lesser included, I doubt that JB would do it as anything but a "complete package deal".
This would include all the economic crimes and pretty much everything she has pending which carries any potential jail time. Part of his job is to "wrap up the cases" so to speak.

Defense counsel's selling a package to the client who wants to know specifically how much time they will be doing, down to a nanosecond.

If felony charges such as the string of check charges, are left out of the deal, that leaves Casey exposed to a ton of on & after time.

Nothing says any cases handled after a plea on the violent crimes would be sentenced as running concurrent with time now being served, if the theft crimes ended in jail time while Casey was serving time for Caylee's death.

Nothing would prevent her being sentenced to many years, with that sentence to be imposed only after the sentence for the violent offenses has been satisfied and served. i.e. time on & after.

Even if that scenario occurred and the time was sentenced as concurrent, that starts the time running concurrent from the day of the subsequent sentencing.
Concurrent time generally does not automatically relate back to the original date of sentencing on the crime which already has the defendant in prison.

Whether or not the second concurrent sentence relates back in time, so as to start from the day the first sentence was imposed, is a separate issue and is not legally guaranteed.

If the economic crimes were not packaged in, Casey would have to be advised that the time to which she was pleading was not necessarily all the time she was going to get.

She could get a fantastic deal on manslaughter, for example, and end up getting more time for the check stuff than for the violent offenses.

I cannot imagine a plea deal which does not include everything would be accepted.

Of course this is a wild case with wild twists and turns so nothing is certain.
Just wanted to offer my humble opinion on whether or not it would be an all or nothing scenario for the defense. :)

FL Stat:
921.16 When sentences to be concurrent and when consecutive.--

(1) A defendant convicted of two or more offenses charged in the same indictment, information, or affidavit or in consolidated indictments, informations, or affidavits shall serve the sentences of imprisonment concurrently unless the court directs that two or more of the sentences be served consecutively. Sentences of imprisonment for offenses not charged in the same indictment, information, or affidavit shall be served consecutively unless the court directs that two or more of the sentences be served concurrently.

( Multi-purpose thread. Hoping the Mods might let it run for a bit to see how it goes. ) :)

If KC were to plea out, I'm interested in hearing what the reactions would be on three levels:
1. Legal - What would be reasonable/expected lessor charges? Would they also drop the fraud charges? Also, would JB automatically include request for permanent protective custody?

2. Ant Family - How do you think CA & GA would react? Would an accepted plea bring them peace of a sort? Would the spin stop?

3. Your Reaction - How would you feel about KC accepting a plea? Would you place any conditions on it? Would you feel as if justice has been served?

First let me say I hope she doesn't plea cuz I WANNA WATCH THE TRIAL!
I don't think she will plea unless JB tells her there is no hope.She had the nerve to walk into Universal offices with LE knowing she didn't work there.

Legal : an acceptable plea deal would be KC getting enough jail time to shrivel up and look like he!! . When she gets out she won't be a cute ,young thing.Her worst nightmare.
The Ant's : They will always say KC is a saint , sacrificing herself to save Caylee from being harmed.
Me: I hope their is a witness that knows the real story .Even if KC confessed and pled guilty I wouldn't believe her version.

BTW if they ever find Caylee's body or the A's are forced to acknowledge that the decomp is from Caylee,they will blame it on the public for putting the nails in Caylees coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname