IL IL - 75 Women in Chicago Strangled / Who is the Chicago Strangler, Serial Killer?

I appreciate all of the hard work and effort that you are putting in here, Humboldt.

I do have one question, and please don't take it as a criticism of your theory. I am looking for clarity, that is all.

Is it true, or is it perhaps just rumour, that police checked the perps DNA for 21 of the deceased victims, and none of the 21 matched?

I appreciate all of the hard work and effort that you are putting in here, Humboldt.

I do have one question, and please don't take it as a criticism of your theory. I am looking for clarity, that is all.

Is it true, or is it perhaps just rumour, that police checked the perps DNA for 21 of the deceased victims, and none of the 21 matched?

Hi!

My understanding is that there is a pretty big backlog of DNA testing in Illinois, which is awful.

At least from this article from March 25, 2019 it seems like DNA was not tested, because it says “to see if there were DNA samples taken at the crime scenes and whether those samples were tested.” So, it sounds like DNA might not have been taken (I’m really thinking it must have), but I don’t see anything recent saying DNA was tested.

Someone here gave those 21 deceased victim stats, but I didn’t see a recent article to back it up.

Dozens Of Unsolved Murders In Chicago Prompt Outrage Over DNA Testing Backlog

“Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson has now ordered a review of all 51 strangulation cases in Chicago to see if there were DNA samples taken at the crime scenes and whether those samples were tested.”

That untested DNA backlog happens all over and it is unacceptable. It makes me so angry. We had hundreds of untested rape cases in Cali. It disgusts me.

Isn’t that wild? A backlog of 5,000+ cases. Why does it take so long to be tested? Is this all third-party tested and not via the state?

Isn’t that wild? A backlog of 5,000+ cases. Why does it take so long to be tested? Is this all third-party tested and not via the state?

Here is an article that asks those questions. I am not sure it answered them though. Seems like a question of lack of money and lack of enough lab techs?

Agreed. No idea why there is a backlog. Of course, it likely has to do with funding.

Thank you! Yes, it’s been very frustrating to see the denial, and at this point, I’m just going to disregard any denial and report it as harassment, because it’s beyond weird that people are pushing back here.

When the Murder Accountability Project said the murders of prostitutes at and around Gilgo Beach was the result of a serial killer so many people here on Websleuths and elsewhere jumped on board in agreement. Yet, when the Murder Accountability Project says that the murders in Chicago of prostitutes is indicative of a serial killer people say ‘That can’t be so because of their lifestyles, gangs,’ and all of these other things that dismiss their deaths - then I question their motive.

People act like Chicago is the Wild Wild West. Like we’re savage here. We have a lot of wealthy people that live here, in addition to poor communities too, yes.

“DOWNTOWN — Chicago’s population of wealthy renters has more than tripled in recent years.

Chicago had more than 39,000 renters who made $150,000 or more in 2017, making it one of the U.S. cities with the most high-income renters, according to a new report from RentCafe. About 6.7 percent of all the city’s renting households belonged to that upper bracket in 2017.”

Chicago’s Wealthy Renter Population Is Among The Highest In The U.S. And It’s Growing, New Report Says

Chicago gangs aren’t going to waste their time and kill aging prostitutes. Sorry to say it so brutally, but they’re not. That’s not their thing. Chicago gangs are largely tied to Mexican drug cartels, so their focus is money and territory. Chicago gang members are also young, very young. Lots of these kids are 12, 13 years old. Younger sometimes too. They drive very nice cars, have very pretty girlfriends, they like money and status.

The young ones are the ones who shoot indiscriminately into crowds trying to get to another rival gang, they steal cars, etc. They’re not raping and strangling prostitutes. That’s the oddest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say - that the gangs are involved with the strangled prostitutes so as soon as I heard people saying that then I knew 100% they’re not from Chicago, don’t live in Chicago and don’t know anything about how the Chicago gangs work.

I used to work years ago mentoring teens, many of them gang members at Cabrini Green, the infamous housing projects. So look, I know this city.

These women were killed either by the same person, or group of people, who knew they could get away with it because our police just don’t know how to connect the dots in cases like this, don’t want to, or I don’t know why else. Honestly, if I had to guess, it’s because our police have been treated poorly by city officials and are overwhelmed with paper work. Do you know, every single time a police officer pulls someone over they have to write a 1 page report? They have to write a report every single time they stop someone, even to question them. So the police have, I feel, thrown up their hands in frustration over all of this paper work they have to do.

So if anyone here dismisses these women’s murder again on gangs I’m reporting it as harassment because you obviously haven’t read the dozens and dozens of articles, sifted through the data, read the victim family statements and community activist statements.

My biggest fear, my greatest fear, is what if this killer moves beyond prostitutes one day? How do we know they haven’t?

Thanks for listening!
Thanks for the info. You are right, we don't know who might be next. All my kids went to college, still live in or just outside Chicago. One thing they all did while in college and then starting jobs was move every year because their rents increased. They always tried to find flats close to the train stops because none of them owned cars.

I think it very possible it is a serial killer just by looking at the locations on the map. Isn't Garfield Park the location of a big train stop?

In looking at the map, it seems many are clustered along what appear to be the Interstates and the trains usually follow that same route. Is there way to build a map showing victims locations with streets, highways AND the train stops? There is an especially noticeable north-south pattern east of I-94 and a cluster just north of I-290 near Garfield Park. There also are a couple of gaps in years of occurrence and I'm wondering if the killer was in and out of prison.

Thanks for opening the thread!

JMO

Humbolt Oz,
To the Marlan-Ochoca case. The CPD didn't really drop the ball on that,blame it on Christ Hospital and the Sanctuary city/county crap. Read the current stuff that is why it took so long to solve.
I too am from the inner city. I left,could not stand it any more. I used to live in a South Side Hood that had a bad rep for being racist. It may have been but it was safe but not now. Gangs and drugs all over the place now.

Do I think a SK is active in Chicago? Yup probably more than one . There was a story several years ago where a street girl was killed at the Wyndam. Plus one even further back. Who knows what they would find if they ever dragged Bubbly creek. The Chicago Police will never unless forced to admit there is one working the city.

Humbolt Oz,
To the Marlan-Ochoca case. The CPD didn't really drop the ball on that,blame it on Christ Hospital and the Sanctuary city/county crap. Read the current stuff that is why it took so long to solve.
I too am from the inner city. I left,could not stand it any more. I used to live in a South Side Hood that had a bad rep for being racist. It may have been but it was safe but not now. Gangs and drugs all over the place now.

Do I think a SK is active in Chicago? Yup probably more than one . There was a story several years ago where a street girl was killed at the Wyndam. Plus one even further back. Who knows what they would find if they ever dragged Bubbly creek. The Chicago Police will never unless forced to admit there is one working the city.

Hi,

Christ Advocate Hospital has a lot of explaining to do over the Marlen Ocho Lopez case. Agreed, these terrible regulations in place failed that family from knowing their grand baby was at that hospital sooner. Also, the family said they went to the police with some information sooner. They also said they reached out to community members, churches, and pastors to plaster missing persons posters because they felt the police were not helping. It’s very sad. A lot of questions have arisen over how CPD handled some leads early on. Regardless, Marlen was found and I’m hoping justice is had here.

Sorry you had to leave the city. I’m in a gentrified area that is now way nice, but in the 80s, well, it was insane around here.

I do recall that Wyndam case! Oh yeah. Totally forgot about those. Those were really weird.

Oh geez, don’t even get started on Bubbly Creek. Between that, Garfield Park lagoon (where they found that 3 year old’s remains), Humboldt Lagoon, and the Chicago River...oh and Lake Michigan they’d found quite a few missing people.

Again, I fear this creep or creeps getting more brazen.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the info. You are right, we don't know who might be next. All my kids went to college, still live in or just outside Chicago. One thing they all did while in college and then starting jobs was move every year because their rents increased. They always tried to find flats close to the train stops because none of them owned cars.

I think it very possible it is a serial killer just by looking at the locations on the map. Isn't Garfield Park the location of a big train stop?

In looking at the map, it seems many are clustered along what appear to be the Interstates and the trains usually follow that same route. Is there way to build a map showing victims locations with streets, highways AND the train stops? There is an especially noticeable north-south pattern east of I-94 and a cluster just north of I-290 near Garfield Park. There also are a couple of gaps in years of occurrence and I'm wondering if the killer was in and out of prison.

Thanks for opening the thread!

JMO

Hi,

Yes, that’s the suspicion - that the killings stopped for a couple of years because the killer was in prison.

Very good observations! I’ll dig into this a bit more and scan if there are any recent missing person’s cases.

Glad your kids are smart and stayed in areas close to transportation. The rents in our area have gotten wild. Some studio apartments in these fancy places are like $2,000/mo.

Humbolt Oz,

Where is Bubbly creek?

Hi,

Yes, that’s the suspicion - that the killings stopped for a couple of years because the killer was in prison.

Very good observations! I’ll dig into this a bit more and scan if there are any recent missing person’s cases.

Glad your kids are smart and stayed in areas close to transportation. The rents in our area have gotten wild. Some studio apartments in these fancy places are like $2,000/mo.

I hear ya. Our sons shared an small flat in Bucktown that has remained apartments and the rents now are over $2000.

The reason I bring up the trains is because the pattern of the body locations on the map leaves an area in the middle wide open. Think Logan Square, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, West Town. All neighborhoods where my kids lived NW of the Loop. I wonder if any of the older victims owned their property, rented out or were looking for a place? Our son just sold his two-flat near Humboldt Park. It went into a bidding war and sold in two days.

Bodies were found to the north, west and south of that near northwest side where rents keep going up, up, up. Yet there are tons of bars and restaurants that employ lots of people to work there and train platforms quickly fill at closing times.

JMO

Where is Bubbly creek?

south branch of the Chicago river that runs from aprox 3000 south to 4600 south. It was where they used to dump all the crap from the stockyards. It was so bad chickens used to be able to walk across the surface. It's called bubbly because it literally bubbles,or used to.
there was also a body found it I remember in McKinley Park lagoon.
I have friends and relatives in CPD the force will not publicly admit to a SK unless forced to. Hell only way Gacy was caught was because his last victim family was friends with a suburban chief.
There are still rumors of more burial sites inside city lip he that they won't investigate because they don't want the negative publicity.

Last edited:
SK would have a field day in Chicago. 17% clearance rate,a very strict no snitch policy.
only way would be if they was caught in act. Hell,the ripper crew had 2 people escape before they was caught and they worked for Gacy. Remember,he said he had help and no one believe hm. Larry Elher worked the city at the same time and they have no idea how many he did. He was working the Uptown area.

Chicago would be a perfect place for a serial killer. And there are probably many "invisible" people, homeless, runaways, who were never found. There is also the possibility of a traveling serial killer, who stops in Chicago routinely, and could possibly live somewhere else, like Michigan or Wisconsin, or further away.

I am not sure that murders and unidentified victims found in surrounding areas of Chicago are also included, that would be a lot of area. I wouldn't be too hung up on the lack of DNA evidence, or numerous DNA on victims, this could be a very sophisticated killer, who works at not being identifiable, or even plants fake DNA on victims.

I believe that there are far more serial killers active than we know. There have been several unexplained disappearances in Montana and Wyoming, where people just vanished...and that merits more inquiry. My fear is that they will focus on Native American women now, and ignore the rest...

Police collected 21 DNA samples from the 51 women. NONE of them matched. Police have said there is ZERO evidence that this is the work of a serial killer. They are only doing a review due to the number of activists that have demanded it. I live in Chicago along with almost 10 million other people. 51 murders are not unusual and the majority of the murdered women were prostitutes working in areas known for drug and gang violence. The murders were also over 18 YEARS. IMO this is NOT a serial killer, but indicative of a murder rate for a city this size that is of the norm, especially with a lifestyle that exposes the woman to harm.
I didn't hear about the DNA, where was that reported? It is obviously NOT in the best interests of the activists to mention that fact.

Hello,

The names of these women and locations found can be found here at a link I had previously posted from the Murder Accountability Project. Tableau Public

I can play with the data and provide some key findings. So far from last year I’m seeing:

2018 - 4 deaths.

Valerie Marie Jackson, Black female, age 49, found strangled in a yard on 3/17/2018.

Lora Harwin Darbin, White female, age 44, found strangled in the grassy lot of an abandoned resident on 5/25/2018.

Nicole Lynell Ride, White female, age 47, strangled, found in an abandoned building on 6/12/2018.

Reo Renee Holyfield, Black female, age 34, manner of death uncertain - strangulation can be possible, found in a garbage can in an alley, on 9/10/2018.

One in March. One in May. One in June. One in September.

The women span races in 2018, black and white. They are all over 30. The oldest death from 2018 is is 49 year old woman. All surely strangled. All found in abandoned areas or a garbage can.

I’ll be looking through the other year’s data as well, as well as to see if anything has occurred suspiciously this year.

Tableau Public
Hello,

The names of these women and locations found can be found here at a link I had previously posted from the Murder Accountability Project. Tableau Public

I can play with the data and provide some key findings. So far from last year I’m seeing:

2018 - 4 deaths.

Valerie Marie Jackson, Black female, age 49, found strangled in a yard on 3/17/2018.

Lora Harwin Darbin, White female, age 44, found strangled in the grassy lot of an abandoned resident on 5/25/2018.

Nicole Lynell Ride, White female, age 47, strangled, found in an abandoned building on 6/12/2018.

Reo Renee Holyfield, Black female, age 34, manner of death uncertain - strangulation can be possible, found in a garbage can in an alley, on 9/10/2018.

One in March. One in May. One in June. One in September.

The women span races in 2018, black and white. They are all over 30. The oldest death from 2018 is is 49 year old woman. All surely strangled. All found in abandoned areas or a garbage can.

I’ll be looking through the other year’s data as well, as well as to see if anything has occurred suspiciously this year.

Tableau Public
So far, the alley sites I have been to all indicate the killer(s) driving north. The 5059 N. Ridgeway location is very interesting. It is at the end and off to the side of a dead end alley, by a park, and beneath the elevation of the walk path in the park. This was a 2002 murder, before surveillance cameras are as common as they are now. The house there has a sign saying that there are cameras, but I highly doubt there was one there in 02. This is right next to an apartment building. The location , to me, suggests that the victim was turning a trick in a car, killed, and dumped at the sight. The other north side sites, the dump is about 5 houses on average into the alley.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back