IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jussie Smollett appeared in play about biracial, gay baseball star who is similarly attacked | Daily Mail Online

• Jussie Smollett appeared in a reading of the Tony-winning play Take Me Out the day before his attack, about a biracial baseball player coming out as gay
  • In the play, the lead character is called a '*advertiser censored***t' and 'n****r' by his teammates, slurs that Smollett later said were screamed by his alleged attackers
  • He went from the reading to the airport so he could return to Chicago to film the final episodes of the fourth season of Empire, but his flight was delayed
  • Sources tell DailyMail.com that investigators believe that Smollett then used Instagram to alert his alleged attackers as to his location via stories he posted
  • His last story that night was posted when he landed in Chicago, and soon after he went out in 10 degree weather to get a sandwich at 2am from Subway
  • A spokesperson said that police are 'not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what's been unofficially released' at this time

That is not smart. I think in this case "even bad publicity is better than no publicity" does NOT apply. With this move I think they are putting the livelihood of hundreds of people on the line (i.e. actors, crew, etc.). This show will not last.

It's more than that as the cast and crew were themselves victims of domestic terrorism with the letter. They should really put an emphasis in wanting to solve the incident they are a victim of.

Matt Finn‏Verified account @MattFinnFNC
Jussie Smollett’s crisis manager just told me they are preparing to release a statement today & also are not confirming that Jussie will meet with police today.

11:10 AM - 18 Feb 2019 from Scottsdale, AZ
Is this gonna be the "Jussie has gone into Rehab for his depression over his never ending long running oppression as a gay minority" statement ???.......moo

Thanks, I must have skimmed over that and I take it back, JS did not remove it.

In the meantime, the Empire producers are doubling down on their support of JS... while very carefully saying nothing about the brother who was likewise their employee... I think this will come back to bite them.

Jussie Smollett Gets Renewed Support From ‘Empire’ Showrunner Over Attack
If they end up keeping him and he goes to jail, they could always write that in and film him on location.

Jussie Smollett appeared in play about biracial, gay baseball star who is similarly attacked | Daily Mail Online

• Jussie Smollett appeared in a reading of the Tony-winning play Take Me Out the day before his attack, about a biracial baseball player coming out as gay
  • In the play, the lead character is called a '*advertiser censored***t' and 'n****r' by his teammates, slurs that Smollett later said were screamed by his alleged attackers
  • He went from the reading to the airport so he could return to Chicago to film the final episodes of the fourth season of Empire, but his flight was delayed
  • Sources tell DailyMail.com that investigators believe that Smollett then used Instagram to alert his alleged attackers as to his location via stories he posted
  • His last story that night was posted when he landed in Chicago, and soon after he went out in 10 degree weather to get a sandwich at 2am from Subway
  • A spokesperson said that police are 'not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what's been unofficially released' at this time

BOTH Chicago airports have a plethora of round-the-clock food options that do not require braving the life-threatening weather.

Flight delayed, the two brothers said it was suppose to happen sooner then it did.

"New statement from Smollett representative: “There are no plans for Jussie to meet with Chicago police today. Any news reports suggesting otherwise are inaccurate. Smollett's attorneys will keep dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf. We have no further comment today.”"
"Last statement attributable to Anne Kavanagh. She’s now the local media contact in Chicago."
Rob Elgas on Twitter

Not to mention all of the places available on the drive from the airport to downtown.

I also find it hard to believe he had no food at all at home. Aside from wondering if his fridge actually was empty, I'd find it really hard to believe he had no shelf-stable food. You'd think someone would sooner crack open a can of Cambell's than go out in the middle of the night during a polar vortex, especially after having gone through a long flight.

I do not believe the part of the public that was villified by this incident are going to rest easy until there are answers. Those that immediately jumped on his wagon in order to further the hate are already pulling their tweets.

<modsnipped quoted post>
There was supposed to have been some sort of covering over their faces, though, right? So this is possible, and of course people get easily sucked into drama and embellish/invent details to play up their role as witnesses. Interesting bit about the play reading and how that may have played into this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a longtime lover of Websleuths, a new member, and a person of color who doubted the story from the beginning. I kept quiet about this, because in the civil society many people claim to want, I try to listen to people who claim they have been victimized, and I wait until sufficient evidence comes in to say otherwise. To me, civility means that I might voice my doubts, but I don't mock someone until there is clear evidence that they aren't a victim. I allow for the outlandish, because for years on this forum, I have seen stories of the outlandish happen to victims. I don't automatically assume that a group of people will riot, or that there is a conspiracy. I watch, I wait, and I keep my counsel until I know more.

Mr. Smollett deserves all of the censure and punishment that will come his way. Unless he directly incites others to commit real hate crimes, he is not responsible for actual hate crimes against others. Moreover, as reasonable beings, it is up to us to take future hate crime allegations on their merits, and not use this man's narcissism and lies as an excuse not to believe others right off the bat.

My opinion only. Thanks for all the good that has come out of Websleuths, and I look forward to being a more active part of diversifying and strengthening this community.
Very well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member