IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTF14

Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's kind of terrible to doubt this straight off the bat. Whatever happened to believing victims until proved otherwise? Whatever happened to showing support and kindness and giving people the benefit of the doubt? Politics should be put aside. People shouldn't let it get in the way of being victim friendly. Sure, it might be a lie, but it also might be the truth, and people should support him until it's proven either way. This kind of immediate anti-victim skepticism is bad for society imo.

He went to the hospital and has now been discharged, and went to the police. It's very hard to beat yourself up, you know. It seems like the bleach aspect of the attack is unconfirmed - rather it was an 'unknown substance'. Can't have been acid or anything like that if he was already discharged. May have been alcohol or something.

People (not here, elsewhere) only seem to doubt this because of the politically charged chants the perpetrators were apparently saying. It's like people somehow can't think that the far right are capable of this sort of thing. According to one report, all 50 extremist killings in the US in 2018 had links to far right extremism, mostly white supremacists. ( All of the extremist killings in the US in 2018 had links to right-wing extremism, according to new report )

As part of the LGBTQ+ community, we do face this kind of harassment and attacks. Especially a semi-public figure like Jussie. Too many people I know have been targeted. Friends have ended up black and blue after holding hands on the street. I like to think that I would be believed by the wider community if this happened to me, rather than dismissed so quickly. Luckily, the worst I've had is verbal threats and being spat at.

Until evidence to the contrary comes out, I'm going to believe him. Just like I would believe any victim until proven otherwise. Maybe this is too close to my heart because similar things have happened to my friends, especially POC. I will of course accept it if it isn't true.
Im glad you are having an open mind about the outcome and im sorry for anything affecting your or any community. However, as you know being on this site, we can only go off what was "reported thus far" And what was reported:

"Smollett took himself to Northwestern Hospital and "is in good condition,"

investigators canvassed the neighborhood where the reported attack occurred and have found no still images or video from security cameras of the incident.

The Streeterville neighborhood where the alleged attack occurred has a very high density of city and private surveillance cameras. As of 10 p.m. Tuesday, detectives canvassed and reviewed hundreds of hours of video and have now expanded.

Unfortunately, thus far we have not found any helpful information on a suspect or a suspect's vehicle to be able to share."

I too would except and champion against any crime and stand with you. Don't mistake my skepticism for tolerance of criminal activity, however I followed many of these cases, some touted, some not in the media and most are false claims that make it harder on true victims of crime. I believe in evidence before narrative and at this point you can point to the media as to why doubt outlandish claims without fact checking first. Not the other way around..

Also, this matter is being taken seriously by the authorities. I mean the FBI is involved??? Just because we are both looking for truth in the situation, blindly "believing" is not the rout I take when the facts stated don't add up. Much like child abductions that don't follow the logical path without evidence. Just know regardless, WE ALL are against crime of any sort and look to help others. That is why we signed up on here. Thank you for your point of view and sharing your experience. I look forward to seeing justice served in this situation, one way or another..

I believe the attack happened, just not sure it was how the media is twisting it. I’ve seen several versions so far. I’m not convinced it’s being reported the way Jussie actually stated it happened.
Let’s see what comes straight from LE or Jussie.

I think it's a publicity stunt. There were cameras everywhere, yet nobody was seen anywhere attacking him or being around him. He also ended up only with a small scratch after being beaten and having a noose put around his neck. Just my opinion.

I don't think that this situation will affect or change how anyone responds to a hate crime report. This was an isolated incident by a very confused individual.

Fox News has a very descriptive term for people who seem to be so wrapped up in our political climate.

I believe that politicians who vocally supported Mr. Smollett should publicly condemn his actions. Otherwise, these hoaxes will continue. And it worries me, that an innocent bystander could be killed because of this type of hysteria.

I don't think that this situation will affect or change how anyone responds to a hate crime report. This was an isolated incident by a very confused individual.

Fox News has a very descriptive term for people who seem to be so wrapped up in our political climate.

I believe that politicians who vocally supported Mr. Smollett should publicly condemn his actions. Otherwise, these hoaxes will continue. And it worries me, that an innocent bystander could be killed because of this type of hysteria.

They won't condemn it. They will probably try to find some way to blame the president. They will use their hatred of him to justify this, mark my words.

I've been reading and wondering if it could happen without witnesses.
And now this :(
So disappointed for him, that he felt he had to go "there". And for all victims of violence that they won't be believed or they would be doubted more
I’m not disappointed, as much as I am angry.

This wasn’t a mistake, or some crime that he accidentally got himself wrapped up in.

This was intentional, premeditated, and deeply damaging on many levels (I could write many pages on the harm he directly and indirectly caused).

We don’t know his motive, but I think it’s a safe bet that this was as about him, as it was furthering some sort of agenda.

This was hideously selfish.

This guy apparently thought and had convinced himself that he is a good actor. Even more so that he can write a good script. Lo and behold, he has failed at both. Many of us did not buy into his act and the script had way too many holes in it. Even Lifetime wouldn't buy this show.

JMO

More often than not, it seems, these high-profile “hate crimes” turn out to be hoaxes. A well-documented list of over 100 hoaxes in the last decade is easy to find with an internet search. Unless there are serious consequences for those perpetrating the fraud, the hoaxes, I figure, will keep occurring.

I’m not disappointed, as much as I am angry.

This wasn’t a mistake, or some crime that he accidentally got himself wrapped up in.

This was intentional, premeditated, and deeply damaging on many levels (I could write many pages on the harm he directly and indirectly caused).

We don’t know his motive, but I think it’s a safe bet that this was as about him, as it was furthering some sort of agenda.

This was hideously selfish.
And that's it in a nutshell, folks.
Sad but true.

MOO

More often than not, it seems, these high-profile “hate crimes” turn out to be hoaxes. A well-documented list of over 100 hoaxes in the last decade is easy to find with an internet search. Unless there are serious consequences for those perpetrating the fraud, the hoaxes, I figure, will keep occurring.
Yup, remember the Duke Lacrosse hoax? I believed it and so did many others. It turned out to be untrue and ruined some careers for those unjustly accused. Not to mention very costly legal bills.
And that is why I stand back and ask questions before agreeing or disagreeing.
moo

Yeah, I remember, and some people still believe the lacrosse students were guilty, even after the facts became known. I wore a lacrosse shirt, similar to Duke's lacrosse but a different organization, to an event and got a earful from someone not too bright.

People want to "live their narratives" in their own worlds and believe what they WANT, despite reality, and it is damaging, even after the facts unravel. This wannabe victim deserves a huge fine and time in a cell.

Mike Tobin‏Verified account @MikeTobinFox
CPD Spox: Jussie Smollett is no longer considered a victim in this case

9:39 PM - 16 Feb 2019 from Chicago, IL
Well there it is, straight from the CPD.

Thinking about this whole thing, I don’t know what was greater; his arrogance, or his stupidity.

He had all the time in the world to plan this, and this is what he came up with?!

He expected to get away with this?!

It goes without saying, but decent people don’t fake crimes, let alone crimes that have these ramifications.

Just terrible.

Local news is all over it tonight!

Tomorrow is anther day and I'm sure there will plenty of new leaks. Can it get any crazier???

I'm out for the night......look forward to seeing what tomorrow brings. CPD is going to have a presser soon I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd