IL - Actor Jussie Smollett, hate crime hoax, Jan 2019 *Guilty* #7

@MyBelle respectfully, I disagree. JS case is critical INMO. It is one of the few times that lying to LEO, in the commission of a "hoax" hate crime is being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

So many of these crimes are widely spread over media, and when a hoax is discovered the crimes and perpetrator quietly disappear in the ever changing news cycle. Now, these crimes are finally taken seriously by LEO, and prosecution. As they should be, so that other potential perpetrators of "fake hate crimes" realize that this is not a joke to create a huge drama, and then skip away like nothing happened.

@MyBelle respectfully, I disagree. JS case is critical INMO. It is one of the few times that lying to LEO, in the commission of a "hoax" hate crime is being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

So many of these crimes are widely spread over media, and when a hoax is discovered the crimes and perpetrator quietly disappear in the ever changing news cycle. Now, these crimes are finally taken seriously by LEO, and prosecution. As they should be, so that other potential perpetrators of "fake hate crimes" realize that this is not a joke to create a huge drama, and then skip away like nothing happened.
I guess we have Jussie to thank for that. Pretty much everybody immediately knew it was a hoax. Michelle 0bama had a chat with Kim Foxx but everybody knew it was some kind of cover up. It was good there was an enormous public outcry. Had there not been, he would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist.

He needs to do every day of time he was sentenced.

I agree with you that JS belongs in jail. I think it was Chicago rank & file LE who forced the local politicians to take the hoax seriously and I applaud them for doing so!

JMO

Curious, how often do you think "fake hate crimes" are committed?
I would think its incredibly rare

Curious, how often do you think "fake hate crimes" are committed?
I would think its incredibly rare

There are two here right now, Sheri Papini, who accused Hispanic people of kidnapping her, and Carlee Russell, accused a white man of kidnapping her.

<modsnip - not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two here right now, Sheri Papini, who accused Hispanic people of kidnapping her, and Carlee Russell, accused a white man of kidnapping her.

<modsnip - not an approved source>
ok gotcha, IMO 2 in the last 8 years isnt alot.

I find this article quite informative

Last edited:
Five month rehabilitation stay, which equals to about 150 days. I see this as a ploy for Smollett to use this as his "in lieu" of incarceration if the appeal doesn't go through.

I think you are so right, JS will do anything to avoid actual incarceration.

IMO, he knows has played his last card, his sham is finally over.

His Prosecutor Kim Foxx did not run for reelection yesterday in the Primary Election. IMO, she knows her career is over because of this case.

Eileen O'Neill Burke and Clayton Harris III (both Democrats) are locked neck in neck for KF's CCSA position. As of tonight, the primary election is still too close to call. IMO, in Chicago, only Democrats have any chance at election, so the Primary Elections here in March are the equivalent of the Fall Elections.

JMO

I think you are so right, JS will do anything to avoid actual incarceration.

IMO, he knows has played his last card, his sham is finally over.

His Prosecutor Kim Foxx did not run for reelection yesterday in the Primary Election. IMO, she knows her career is over because of this case.

Eileen O'Neill Burke and Clayton Harris III (both Democrats) are locked neck in neck for KF's CCSA position. As of tonight, the primary election is still too close to call. IMO, in Chicago, only Democrats have any chance at election, so the Primary Elections here in March are the equivalent of the Fall Elections.

JMO

The judge would have to agree to it. But I am pretty sure that he will just sign it, to be done with the mess. It was outpatient treatment. And what I personally thought JS should have done years ago, when the mess started going south on him.

Annoying. I doubt he got anything out of the boutique program he attended. But, no doubt the paperwork will be in order.

This is interesting reading, Smollett's defense team, pulling all of the stops, except, they do not put forth the crux of the issue. Smollett states unequivocally, that he is "innocent". It is really almost sad, if he had just "manned up", done his time, and moved forward, it would be over.

Instead, his defense team files appeals, (I really have to wonder where the money is coming from to pay this team), grasping at straws for a dismissal. They put forth so many reasons, except, stating that their client is not a liar, and he is completely innocent of the charges against him.

This is interesting reading, Smollett's defense team, pulling all of the stops, except, they do not put forth the crux of the issue. Smollett states unequivocally, that he is "innocent". It is really almost sad, if he had just "manned up", done his time, and moved forward, it would be over.

Instead, his defense team files appeals, (I really have to wonder where the money is coming from to pay this team), grasping at straws for a dismissal. They put forth so many reasons, except, stating that their client is not a liar, and he is completely innocent of the charges against him.
The powers that be were pretty successful initially to get this matter resolved for Jussie and there were some pretty impressive names in there. I am sure those same people are still there behind the scenes. I am very suspicious that these appeals are all above board. We will see.

Chicago Tribune

Wed, March 27, 2024 at 12:12 PM EDT

Chicago Tribune

Wed, March 27, 2024 at 12:12 PM EDT

Interesting. I wonder what will happen if it is a three/three split?

And the "Community Service" argument is a joke. Smollett did not go through the process for "Community Service". It has to have a documented supervisor who signs the hours, and it is a contract between the person and the court, but the case never went to court! A DA doesn't "sentence" someone to Community Service, only a judge can do that, even in a diversion program, the court is involved. Because there is usually a separate sentence, if the party does not do the Community Service hours assigned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back