Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by HayLouise, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Good God! I hadn’t seen that. The stuff of nightmares....

2. sabepa

sabepa Well-Known Member

Has anyone posted this article? Looks like another possible instance of abuse (unverified, unreported, MOO) involving boiling water in October 2017.

Parents of missing 5-year-old AJ Freund charged with murder after Crystal Lake boy's body found in shallow grave

A neighbor who lives across the street from the Freunds’ house, Janelle Butler, said she first met the family when the boy and his mom came to her door on Halloween in 2017.

AJ had bandages on his face and arm. She thought he was dressed as a mummy, but his mother said he had grabbed a pot of boiling water that day, was burned and went to the hospital for treatment.

The boy seemed OK, Butler said, but, “That’ll haunt me now forever that I did not call police.”

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  3. Whiteorchids

Whiteorchids Well-Known Member

Dad Charged in 5-Year-Old AJ Freund’s Murder Had Law License Suspended After Criminal Conviction, Cocaine Use

Freund faced professional disciplinary action, and his license to practice law (which was eventually reinstated after the aforementioned lapse) was suspended for 90 days, with a two-year probationary period that is still ongoing.

Disciplinary records indicate that upon seeing a psychiatrist, Freund was diagnosed with opioid and cocaine use disorders. Among the conditions of his probation, Freund was ordered to attend a 12-step program.

Residents of Crystal Lake told Law&Crime that Freund is “very well known in this county” and had problems while he worked at a “very well known law firm.” They said the law firm “tried mightily” to help Freund and even paid for him to go to rehab twice. “Everyone who knows him really thought he was a nice guy,” they said, although they described the family as “dysfunctional.”

HayLouise, TRB, jash and 6 others like this.
  4. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

I only got to page 22....they appear to do a great job of investigating after the children have died.

Of the 98 deaths, 18 were ruled homicides, 26 undetermined, 27 accidents, and 27 natural causes.

Undetermined but suspicious appears several times.

5. bradfordsleuth

bradfordsleuth Well-Known Member

You've all expressed your thoughts very honestly in this thread and I want to thank you for it.

This case is a tough one and it has nailed all of us right through our collective hearts.

6. MeJane00

MeJane00 Well-Known Member

I have not read the last threads. So sorry if someone expressed this. But I'm surprised Senior did not run. Although I'm sure they had police watching him. He had to know that when they did not issue an Amber Alert, and said AJ did not walk out of the house, and he was not missing (I think they said that), that they were suspects. He practiced law. Even we all knew what that meant. I hope that senior suffered anguish waiting for the ball to drop. He had to know he would be caught.

7. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Well-Known Member

I have no problem with them committing suicide. At least there would be no chance of them getting away scott-free, ala Casey Anthony.

8. MeJane00

After the baby is born. only two more months.

9. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

Sad as can be. He didn’t have a chance. Any baby born addicted should be removed imo

10. MeJane00

And his poor younger brother? To witness that. I wonder if LE interviewed him. In the end they did not need that information, but I was wondering if questions like was AJ home last night? Where was he? What was the last time he was home. But maybe they did not need to burden him with questions.

bluenoser, jash, Subiechik21 and 5 others like this.
  11. Whiteorchids

Oh look his mom was so distraught she managed to paint her fingernails white for the court hearing. I hate these people. I wish they would have shot AJ instead at least it would have been fast instead of slow painful torturous death freezing in ice cold water for lord knows how long then afterward having your skull and brain bashed in by your own parents with this evil look of your mother glaring over you. The one who is supposed to love and protect you from harm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

I would imagine they asked him questions with a skilled investigator and/or therapist. This little guy is going to need all kinds of support and therapy... oldest brother placed with grandparents, mom addicted, dad who knows what, brother murdered, living in a hoarder house with no heat and no electric, feces all over the place... so much to process and understand. Then as he gets older the memories and the survivor's guilt will surely kick in. I hope he gets all the help he can get and needs.

13. BlinkOfAnI

BlinkOfAnI Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, and yes!

NYCCANUSA, 1&2&3 and Subiechik21 like this.
  14. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Casey Anthony is a hard core psychopath. She never said a word, because she didn't feel any guilt about her behavior.

I believe in this case, the Mother probably broke down, probably told she would get a better deal if she flipped on her husband. She is a drug addict, probably going through withdrawal, told she could go have some methadone and not do the withdrawal. She would have probably sold her other son after 24 hours...even though her lawyer tried to keep her quiet.

That is why Patti and John Ramsey lawyered up, and even when police split them up, the lawyer was there to keep them quiet. The Ramsey's had a united front.

15. BlinkOfAnI

You speak the truth.

16. BlinkOfAnI

But where would he go? I doubt he had money. It's not financially easy for many attorneys let alone one with a drug addiction.

17. Whiteorchids

Maybe but stupid reason to go ballistic these lunatics had feces all over the house anyway.

18. bradfordsleuth

bradfordsleuth Well-Known Member

I agree.

These were not tidy people...they were violent drug-addicted people.

19. Snoopgal

Snoopgal Well-Known Member

Here are some interesting reads.
    When Trump signed spending bill, he signed into law a huge overhaul of foster care

For Newborns Exposed To Opioids, Health Issues May Be The Least Of Their Problems

Neither of these are a defense of these parents or DCFS. I was just trying to find out what the current data says about how to fix this issue. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on keeping families together at almost any cost. I’m not sure I agree. (Also, I am not trying to get political with the first article, I was just curious what current funding looks like)

20. Whiteorchids

Yes drug addicts can’t take care of themselves how in the heck can they take care of children?

Get one chance at recovery to turn your life around. If you screw up again kids are permanently removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.