Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of AJ Freund's mother describes the day when 5-year-old boy was reported missing
May 2, 2019 6:45pm

A woman described in police documents as a “very close friend” of the mother of Andrew “AJ” Freund said Thursday she previously knew nothing about the tragic circumstances surrounding the 5-year-old Crystal Lakeboy’s death.

“If I would have known what I know now I would have done a heck of a lot more,” the friend told the Tribune.

The woman’s name appeared in a police affidavit describing the investigation that led to AJ’s parents being charged in his death. Texts sent between the woman and JoAnn Cunningham, the boy’s mother, are referenced in the document.

The woman said Thursday she was in the family’s home when a 911 call was made April 18 reporting AJ missing. But the woman said the call was made about a half-hour after she urged Cunningham and the boy’s father to report his disappearance. The woman said she “flew over there” to the Crystal Lake home on that day after being told by Cunningham that AJ could not be found.

The woman, who the Tribune is not naming because she said she has received death threats after the affidavit with her name appeared online, said she helped search for the boy in the home and while doing so heard AJ’s father, Andrew Freund, make the 911 call. As they searched, Cunningham was saying, “I want my kid back,” according to the woman. The woman also searched nearby stores.

That was three days after authorities allege that Cunningham and Freund killed the boy. Authorities say Freund later buried his body is a shallow grave near Woodstock, where he was found April 24.

The parents were charged with AJ’s killing, as well as aggravated battery, aggravated domestic battery, failure to report a missing child and, in Freund’s case, concealment of a homicide. Cunningham also was charged with an aggravated battery related to a video found on her phone from March 4.

Despite police describing her in the affidavit as being a close friend to Cunningham, the woman said they “were not close.”

In the affidavit, police said cellphone records indicate that Cunningham texted her friend about AJ’s health on April 16 — the day after AJ is alleged to have been killed. According to the affidavit, Cunningham “complained about AJ as not getting better from what she had previously self-diagnosed or likened to oppositional defiance disorder (ODD).”

According to the affidavit, many text messages between the women were deleted from Cunningham’s phone but were found on her friend’s, including the April 16 text.

Standing in her garage Thursday at her suburban home, the woman was trembling and in tears. She told the Tribune that their friendship has lasted about two or three years and has consisted mostly of texting each other.

The friend said Cunningham felt comfortable talking to her about AJ’s supposed ODD because her own son has ODD.

She said when she visited, the house was often cluttered but not as bad as recent reports have indicated.

She said they had gone to the beach together about two years ago with family members and she did not see any bruises on AJ or his younger brother or anything out of sorts with their relationship. She did recall seeing scars on AJ’s face about a year ago that she said Cunningham said was the result of AJ spilling boiling water on himself.

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services has said it has had a history of dealing with the family since AJ was born with opiates in his system.

The woman said she fears for her family’s safety and her own health because of her association with Cunningham. She said she and her family have been harassed and have received death threats.

“Leave me alone, realize I am not part of this,” she begged of those she said were harassing her.

At one point while speaking to a reporter Thursday, she collapsed to the ground, apparently from stress. But neighbors later said she was OK.

“I just want this to be over,” she said.

The woman said she wants people to know that she willingly turned over her cellphone to authorities and has been cooperating all along and, like everyone else, did not know what truly had happened to AJ.

“People are assuming I knew everything,” she said. “If I knew, why would I give the FBI my cellphone?”

Before knowing AJ’s fate and while he was still reported as missing, the friend said Cunningham asked her to drive her to a custody hearing April 23 concerning AJ’s younger brother.

Cunningham would remain at the courthouse that night until 2:30 a.m. April 24.

“They told (me) they were keeping her for questioning and I left,” the friend said.

Later that morning, Freund led authorities to the body. He and Cunningham were arrested and charged in the death of their son.

Since her arrest the friend said Cunningham has been calling her from jail and she has blocked her calls.

“I’m not OK,” the friend said, sobbing. “He’s gone.”

Friend of AJ Freund's mother describes the day when 5-year-old boy was reported missing

It seems like Joann knows how to hook into people who will do what she wants. She has drawn this friend into an awful situation. I am sad that people are threatening her. I do believe she has done what she could do.

Full Licensed Name: Andrew Thomas Freund
Full Former name(s): None
Date of Admission as Lawyer
by Illinois Supreme Court:
November 16, 1984
Registered Business Address: Contractors, Inc.
24 East Avenue
Riverside, IL 60546-2101
Registered Business Phone: (708) 788-4870
Illinois Registration Status: Not authorized to practice law as attorney is not currently registered with ARDC - Last Registered Year: 2018
Malpractice Insurance:
(Current as of date of registration;
consult attorney for further information)
In annual registration, attorney reported that he/she does not have malpractice coverage. (Some attorneys, such as judges, government lawyers, and in-house corporate lawyers, may not carry coverage due to the nature of their practice setting.)

Yes, think I found his license but need middle initial to confirm.

ARDC | Lawyer Search

This is what came up with the search of AF.
ARDC | Lawyer Search

Full Licensed Name: ATF (Changed to AF's initials by me)
November 16, 1984
24 East Avenue
Riverside, IL 60546-2101
Illinois Registration Status: Not authorized to practice law as attorney is not currently registered with ARDC - Last Registered Year: 2018
Malpractice Insurance:
In annual registration, attorney reported that he/she does not have malpractice coverage. (Some attorneys, such as judges, government lawyers, and in-house corporate lawyers, may not carry coverage due to the nature of their practice setting.)

Full Licensed Name: Andrew Thomas Freund
November 16, 1984
24 East Avenue
Riverside, IL 60546-2101
Malpractice Insurance:
JINX :p

I think they're both delusional, possibly drug induced psychosis. Sr. has clearly lied about so many things. Both of them lied to portray a perfect life. In one article, which I'll try to find, JC described going to church and praying for AJ's return home. They tried to make things look normal, and, in some sense probably believed that everything was normal. Locking your child in a room for 5 hours is not normal. Living in filth is not normal. Putting your child in a cold shower for "20 minutes" and the putting him to bed cold, wet, and naked is not normal. Not calling for help when your child is dying due to your abuse is not normal. And, video taping of the poor boy after he was just beaten is beyond my comprehension! What kind of sick twisted person does that?!?! It's bad enough she beat him, let alone mock him.
I really hope they both plead guilty. It will be hard to find a jury for their trials and once they do, they'll need to have counselors or something on hand for the jurors as the evidence that may be shown in a trial will be horrific!

Oh, this poor friend! I feel so sorry for her to be in the position she is in.

In the article it states she and JoAnn mostly texted each other. Was this friend aware of JC’s drug addiction? Or by mainly texting one another, the friend just wasn’t aware it was so bad or of the abuse JC inflicted on AJ?

Friday, May 3rd:
*Status Hearing (@ 9am CT) – IL – Andrew “AJ” Freund, Jr. (5) (reported missing April 17, 2018, Crystal Lake; found buried in shallow grave on April 24, 2019, near Woodstock) – only for *Andrew Thomas Freund, Sr. (60) “father” arrested (4/24/19) & charged (4/25/19) with 5 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of aggravated battery, 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery, 1 count of failure to report death of child & 1 count of concealing a homicidal death (burying body) & concealing death of a person. $5M bond.
*JoAnn D. Cunningham (35) “mom” arrested (4/24/19) & charged (4/25/19) with 5 counts of 1st degree murder, 4 counts of aggravated battery of child, 1 count of aggravated battery, 2 counts of concealment of homicidal death & 1 count of failure to report death of child. $5M bond.
4/25/19: Bond hearing. Arraignment hearing for both on 4/29.
4/29/19 Update: Officially charged with all charges listed above. No pleas entered by either one. JC appointed public defender, AF will find his own attorney. Status hearing on 5/3 for Freund with attorney & both back for Preliminary hearing on 5/10 & expected to enter pleas. Also a custody hearing where the state ordered a paternity test to prove Freund, Sr. is the father of the 4yo. May 30th at 10am is the next custody hearing & there is a no contact order for Freund, Sr. & Cunningham to see the child. Representatives with the McHenry County State's Attorney's Office also filed a petition seeking to terminate Freund & Cunningham's parental rights.

This is what came up with the search of AF.
ARDC | Lawyer Search

Full Licensed Name: ATF (Changed to AF's initials by me)
November 16, 1984
24 East Avenue
Riverside, IL 60546-2101
Malpractice Insurance:

That's what I thought. Thanks for posting!! It was late on the east coast and I headed to bed.

He did not pay his liability insurance so he has no license.

He couldn't be making much money with no license. IMO, probably doing leases and evictions, which don't require a license.

I think they're both delusional, possibly drug induced psychosis. Sr. has clearly lied about so many things. Both of them lied to portray a perfect life. In one article, which I'll try to find, JC described going to church and praying for AJ's return home. They tried to make things look normal, and, in some sense probably believed that everything was normal. Locking your child in a room for 5 hours is not normal. Living in filth is not normal. Putting your child in a cold shower for "20 minutes" and the putting him to bed cold, wet, and naked is not normal. Not calling for help when your child is dying due to your abuse is not normal. And, video taping of the poor boy after he was just beaten is beyond my comprehension! What kind of sick twisted person does that?!?! It's bad enough she beat him, let alone mock him.
I really hope they both plead guilty. It will be hard to find a jury for their trials and once they do, they'll need to have counselors or something on hand for the jurors as the evidence that may be shown in a trial will be horrific!

I totally agree with you! They’re both delusional. Some were discussing yesterday whether JC and AFsr would be able to watch the news coverage of AJ’s funeral from jail? I think if they do, their reactions would be much the same, saying how sweet it is that everyone came out for AJ. Neither of them feeling one ounce of remorse or sadness or any responsibility for it at all.

JMO

Last edited:
A short clip from the Crystal Lake St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic mass on Sunday.

The priest talks about going to the front door of the house on Dole on Friday night, along with another priest for moral support, to pray and come against any evil spirits that might have taken ahold of the house and their town.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member