IL IL - Brian C. Carrick, 17, Johnsburg, 20 December 2002

PonderingThings said:
... point is that although L.E. called it "spatter", the reality is that it could just be little drops of blood on the boxes - nothing noticeable unless you were looking for it. . .
True enough. Good point. I was thinking that maybe these drops in the store might have been visible to the naked eye and not just luminol stuff. My limited experience with grocery store work was that blood drops, or anything that did not look good, on a box in the store where customers might see it would not be acceptable. The only reason I was thinking about that at all was because it brought to mind a theory totally different than the one we have been discussing but never mind that for now.

Back to the case:
Parts of this case sound as if the perps possibly had some experience with a grocery store's storage area operations and produce area but maybe not meat cutter experience since no one has mentioned any of his blood being found in that area.

Doc, Don't worry I was just kidding about being spanked... sometimes we don't see the obvious... and should be spanked :p I'm afraid I have tunnel vision on this case and I'm not seeing the whole picture.

Pondering, I am glad you got a kick out of the spanked line because that is how it was meant... I thought you would like it :)

Since I am in a tunnel on this one I decided to try to get out for a minute and help Pondering with the California Produce Theory (John Doe as Brian).

So here goes: John Doe was located on a horse trail near 12100 Tampa Avenue in Northridge, California.... here's something that might add a little to your Produce Theory

All of these Produce suppliers are found in Northridge:
FK International - Northridge California
8327 Tampa Avenue, Northridge CA 91324 -
Map
Fruits Vegetables Produce Fruit Vegetable Veggies

JC Farm - Northridge California
8505 Reseda Boulevard, Northridge CA 91324 -
Map

Louise Produce - Northridge California
8242 Louise Avenue, Northridge CA 91325 -
Map

I'm not sure if these two sale produce... but it's possible
Advance Wholesale Grocery - Northridge California
11657 Amigo Avenue, Northridge CA 91326 -
Map
Food Market Food Markets

Advance Wholesale Grocery - Northridge California
20528 Pesaro Way, Northridge CA 91326 -
Map
Food Market Food Markets

Maybe you could find out who their wholesale produce comes from.

Just so you know... about the spanking remark... Pondering is new here and I looked back over some of my post and got concerned that I may have come off in a way I had not intended. It is easy to do on the internet. You just can't seem to get the same inflection when you're typing :p It was just my way of being light hearted so Pondering would know I was not trying to be a troll.

Yaya said:
. . .Since I am in a tunnel on this one I decided to try to get out for a minute and help Pondering with the California Produce Theory (John Doe as Brian).
Evidence of surgery on the bones from open heart should be looked for on the john doe skeletal remains. If found they should do DNA testing.
Brian had a heart problem and a surgery scar on his chest. I think that sounds a bit like open heart was done. If so the bones will show clear evidence of that as they have to be cut through and then wired back in place.

Arrrgh- I had that written up in much nicer detail but got an invalid thread message on previewing. This post is my 2nd time and I am copying & pasting to notepad first just incase.

Doc they found skeleton remains... but we really don't know how much they found, or in what condition. If the remains were out in the open (not buried) then animals could have taken away many of the bones...

Yaya I am new, but I have yet to come across a troll on this site! I certainly never had the impression you were one! I am appreciating your sense of humor though!

It was Doc who suggested the truck driver connection - and I like the theory a lot as it explains a lot.... but the reality is even though it all "fits" it doesn't mean its correct.

I know that Brian's siblings also worked at the store, and I imagine other teenagers would be employed from time to time there. This is apparently a very small "Village" so I assume just about anybody in town knew the workings of the store... This kinda explains how this could happen without anyone working there knowing about what was happening/happened.

I still have not received a "confirmation email" from the reporter, or the LA Coroner so I'm not sure they've got the information. That could just be because of the Christmas holidays... we'll see...

This case was my very first post on Websleuths. I sent 2 emails off and never received any confirmation that they received the info.

I called LE in Brian's home town and they don't have an email address (that they give out). I'm thinking about printing out the information below, along with links and my contact information, and mailing it to them.

It may not be the best lead, but I do think they should be aware of the possibility. If they don't think its worth pursueing then that's ok with me, I just want to tell them.

What do you think?

carrick_brian2.jpg

Brian on left, John Doe on right

1. Brian's photo looks like the sketch

2. Brian disappeared in Dec 2002, John Doe was found in April 2004 - Elapsed time 1 year and 4 months. Problem is there is no estimated dated of death for John Doe. So based on the little bit of information we have, this is a match.

3. Brian was 17, John Doe was estimated to be 15-23 - this is a match.

4. There is no hair color or eye color, for John Doe listed. So we can't compare.

5. John Doe is estimated at being 5'4". Brian is listed as 5'9" THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

6. Brian disappeared from Illinois, John Doe was found in California. The locations are very far away from each other - according to google its 2,095 mi (about 1 day 12 hours). THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

If this is indeed Brian possible explanation/speculation:

How is the height descrepancy explained? We have very little information about John Doe. We don't know in what condition the body was found in. We do know that it was found in a wilderness area (beside a horse trail) and it is possible animals scattered the bones - although that is not stated.

It is possible that an accurate height wasn't possible to determine, instead, perhaps, they used another piece(s) of information to determine the height (such as clothing that is not mentioned)? Or perhaps its a data entry error? This is just speculation.

How is the geographical difference explained? Due to the attack on Brian happening at the grocery story (all the blood found), we are speculating that Brian could have been doing business with a truck driver who came to the grocery store. Although this truck driver may not have actually been doing any official business with the store. Something happened. Brian was tossed into the back of the truck and only unloaded when the driver reached California.

This is very much a long shot, as although truck come and go from the grocery store all the time, there is no published evidence that identifies a trucker as a possible connection. Also, there is a lot of wilderness between the two locations.

There is another possibility that he was taken to California, alive, to meet with someone, and once there he was killed or died. Please note, there is no indication that John Doe's death was a homicide.

None of these theories are proven, but they do present possible explanations about how it could happen.

The Doe Network has just updated the John Doe's page to include the following information:

Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair and eyecolor undetermined.
Dentals: Available. 3rd molars are unerupted and teeth 4, 7, 13 are missing postmortem.

They left the height, as is, at 5'4", which is still the biggest discrepancy between him and Brian... although the geographical difference is also big.

I never received a confirmation email from any of the 3 emails I sent, to 3 different people. So, I don't know if ANYONE has checked out the possibility. At the end of the month I am going to mail a letter to the police department investigating Brian's case, and the Los Angeles Coroner, just to be sure they are aware of this possible (albeit discrepant) possible match.

Kinda makes me wonder what happened to John Doe that 3 of his teeth went missing AFTER he died.
frown.gif

Ex-Colleague Of Missing Teen Charged With Perjury

Prosecutors Say Former Co-Worker Lied During Grand Jury Hearing About Disappearance

(CBS) JOHNSBURG, Ill. A teenager disappeared from the northwest suburbs more than four years ago; at this point, no one is in custody, much less charged.

But CBS 2’s Katie McCall has an exclusive report on a major development in the case.

Bryan Carrick's family says they just want to know the truth about what happened to him.

On Tuesday, McHenry County prosecutors said one of Carrick’s former co-workers at Val’s Foods in Johnsburg has told them a pack of lies.
Brian Carrick was 17 years old when he vanished in late 2002. His father, William Carrick, remembers Brian as “very energetic, sharp.”
With the arrest of 24-year-old Mario Casciaro, Brian’s father believes he is closer to learning what happened to his son.
“This is one big step in the right direction. It’s been 4 and a half years,” William Carrick said.
Prosecutors claim Casciaro lied on the stand during recent grand jury testimony about Carrick's disappearance. Casciaro has been charged with nine counts of perjury.
“I never was looking for revenge, but some of his brothers are. They're…they want to see somebody held accountable. They want to get 'em themselves,” William Carrick said.
Brian was last seen at Val's, where he worked with Casciaro. Investigators discovered Carrick's blood near a cooler at the store, but his body was never found.
Now the McHenry County state's attorney’s office says Casciaro made a number of false statements on the stand.
According to the indictment, Casciaro said no to each of the following questions from prosecutors:

“Did you say to Allen Lippert that you directed Shane Lamb to scare Brian Carrick and things got out of hand?”

“And that you called your cousins from Chicago to dispose of Brian Carrick's body?”

“And that Brian Carrick's body was initially buried in a local area?”

“And that it was ultimately moved and dismembered and thrown into a river in Iowa because police were searching for it here?”

Carrick's father believes the criminal justice system will do its job. He just wants to bury his son.
Casciaro is out of jail after posting a $5,000 cash bond Monday. He is scheduled to return to court in two weeks.
McHenry County investigators said they are working this case with Johnsburg police and the FBI.
CBS 2 and the Northwest Herald work together to break news. You can read more on this story in Wednesday's Northwest Herald.

http://cbs2chicago.com/northsuburbanbureau/local_story_163185757.html

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/12/1...88694348634.txt

Five years later, healing elusive for Carrick family

By SARAH SUTSCHEK - ssutschek@nwherald.com
Comments (4 comment(s))
JOHNSBURG – Terry Carrick wants to forgive whoever killed her son. She just doesn’t know who it is.

“Rather than closure, I’d like to fulfill the circle of forgiveness,” she said.

Four years ago, it was standing-room only at St. John the Baptist Church for a memorial Mass remembering Brian Carrick. A family deeply rooted in their Catholic faith, the Carricks have relied on their beliefs to help them survive the loss of one of their 14 children.

They focus on the lighthearted moments they had with their son.

When he was little, Brian Carrick tried to sell his siblings raffle tickets to see who would move into the bedroom vacated by a brother – just one example why they believe he might have been an entrepreneur.

He loved Christmas, and took it upon himself to set up a Nativity set, moving the Wise Men closer each day.

Today is the five-year anniversary of the day Johnsburg resident Brian Carrick, then 17, disappeared. He last was seen walking into Val’s Foods about 6:45 p.m. Dec. 20, 2002. No one reported seeing him leave.

“I did keep shopping there for the first six months, just to see if I could hear anything, see anything,” his mother said.

Terry Carrick no longer goes into Val’s, but she sees it every day from across the street in the white farmhouse where she and her husband, Bill, raised their children.

“The thoughts just come and go,” she said. “There is no such thing as closure. Each day gets easier, but it’s a hole in your heart that never closes.”

Brian Carrick still is considered a missing person, but the case now has the added descriptor of “possible homicide,” Johnsburg Police Chief Kenneth Rydberg said.

“There’s enough evidence pointing that it’s a homicide,” he said.

Blood found in a produce cooler that DNA tests matched with Brian Carrick, the fact that his phone never was used, and statements from individuals point to that conclusion, Rydberg said.

In June, 24-year-old Mario Casciaro of McHenry was indicted on nine counts of perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury about Brian Carrick’s disappearance. Casciaro worked with Brian Carrick at Val’s.

Casciaro allegedly told another man, Alan Lippert, that Brian Carrick’s body was dismembered and thrown into a river in Iowa, among other statements. But when asked before a grand jury whether he made that claim to Lippert, Casciaro denied it.

Perjury is a Class 3 felony, punishable by up to five years in prison.

Last week, Casciaro asked a judge to throw out three of the perjury charges on the basis that his answers were not critical to the Carrick investigation.

Casciaro next will be in court Dec. 28 when prosecutors will ask a judge to toss the motion to dismiss. Meanwhile, he is free on $50,000 bond.

Terry and Bill Carrick have been to several of Casciaro’s court dates since the indictment.

“He won’t look at us,” Bill Carrick said. “He has never made eye contact once.”

They are reluctant to discuss the grim scenario outlined in the indictment and do not denigrate Casciaro, confident that someday they will know what happened to their son.

“If he does know or have some information, then I don’t know how he’s been able to keep quiet for so long,” Terry Carrick said. “When the truth comes out – and it will – we’ll have answers.”

Prosecutors have revealed that they have audio recordings of conversations between Lippert and Casciaro that were made without Casciaro’s knowledge.

The recordings’ entire transcript has not been publicly disclosed.

“I think we’ve made some strides, but certainly not enough,” State’s Attorney Louis Bianchi said. “Murder is murder. We’ve got an obligation to continue this and we will for as long as we have to.”

The police have received three or four leads this year, compared to about 300 in the first four months after Brian Carrick’s disappearance, Rydberg said.

But the case is not cold; it’s still wide open, he said.

The grand jury locked in testimony from witnesses or people who were there when he disappeared, Rydberg said.

“When Lou Bianchi agreed to convene the grand jury, that was a big step for this case and that’s what was able to bring us the audio recordings,” he said.

A flier with Brian Carrick’s picture from when he went missing still hangs on Rydberg’s wall, an unnecessary constant reminder.

“I know this was a big year for the case,” Rydberg said. “Eventually, I believe this case will be solved.”

As they have done since Brian Carrick went missing, the Carricks continue to plead for anyone with any information, no matter how innocuous it might seem, to come forward.

“It’s going to be something they think is innocent and has nothing to do with the case that’s going to bust it open,” Terry Carrick said.

Complete strangers still approach the Carricks, telling the family they think about Brian Carrick and say a little prayer every time they drive by the big, white farmhouse.

“Those prayers, someday, are going to open somebody’s heart,” Terry Carrick said.

Just as strangers have reached out to them, Bill and Terry Carrick have reached out to parents who also have lost a child.

On occasion, they have attended the wakes of young people – some of whom they did not know – to tell the parents that each day grows a little easier.

“In my mind,” Terry Carrick said, “that was healing.”

Today marks five years since then 17-year-old Brian Carrick disappeared after visiting his workplace, Val’s Foods in Johnsburg. In June, a 24-year-old McHenry man and a former co-worker of Carrick’s, Mario Casciaro, was charged with nine counts of perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury about his knowledge of Carrick’s fate. It was the first arrest in the longstanding missing person case, to which police now have added the descriptor “possible homicide.”

A $25,000 reward still is being offered for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for Carrick’s disappearance. Johnsburg Police urge anyone with information to call them at 815-385-6024 or CrimeStoppers at 800-762-7867.

Mother of missing teen dies after leukemia fight

JOHNSBURG – Terry Carrick believed in the redemptive value of suffering.

It was that belief and deep faith in God that helped her deal with the 2002 disappearance of her 17-year-old son Brian, who police believe was murdered.

And it was that faith she turned to when she was diagnosed with leukemia and lung cancer this summer.

“I saw her a week ago, and she was in a lot of pain,” said Cindy Nusser, a longtime friend of Terry Carrick’s. “But she was still the same feisty, Irish, happy person. She was resigned, but not in a giving-up way, but in a hopeful way of accepting God’s will.”

Terry Carrick, 65, died Saturday morning at University of Illinois Medical Center.

The mother of 14 children, Carrick was a longtime Johnsburg resident who was heavily involved with St. John the Baptist Catholic Church.

After Brian's disappearance, Carrick continued to search for answers, but she did not allow what happened to rule her life.

“My mom knew [the police] were working their hardest on the case,” said Bridget Carrick, her 19-year-old daughter. “She did find peace with it. It wasn’t consuming her life.”

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2009/11/22/r_t0wohbnits6tyjk91aotlw/index.xml

R.I.P. Mrs Carrick; very sorry you had to die without seeing justice for your son.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=356755

By Chuck Keeshan | Daily Herald StaffContact writer
Published: 2/4/2010 12:49 PM

Lake County man linked to the 2002 disappearance of a 17-year-old boy has struck a deal with county prosecutors to testify against suspects in the presumed murder, multiple sources familiar with the investigation said Thursday.

Under the deal, Shane Lamb, 25, of Lake Bluff, would receive immunity for his undisclosed role in killing of Brian Carrick, but instead receive a short prison sentence on an unrelated drug case, according to an official who has seen the agreement.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=357948

Lake Co. man linked to missing teen pleads guilty to drug charge
By Charles Keeshan | Daily Herald Staff

A Lake County man reportedly ready to testify against others in connection with the 2002 disappearance and suspected murder of a Johnsburg teen pleaded guilty to an unrelated drug charge Tuesday with no mention of an immunity deal sources say he recently struck with prosecutors.

Shane A. Lamb, 25, of Lake Bluff, was sentenced to six years in prison after admitting to an unlawful possession of cocaine charge stemming from a 2008 drug investigation in Spring Grove.

I wonder if Casciaro will now reveal the location of Brians remains.

Glad to see there has finally been an arrest in this case. Long time coming.

Judge denies gag order in suburban murder case:

Judge denies gag order in McHenry murder case

April 30, 2010 1:59 PM | No Comments

A McHenry County judge denied today the state's request for a gag order in the case of a Fox Lake man charged with first-degree murder.

Mario Casciaro, 26, faces a first degree murder charge in the death of Brian Carrick, who was 17 when he disappeared in 2002. His body has never been found.

A little more at link.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/judge-denies-gag-order-in-mchenry-murder-case.html

Glad to hear something is happening.

I know a lot of people from that area. Small town, LE not used to this kind of thing, lots of rumors. Rumor is that it was drug related, ie he was selling a lot less than things were worth, things along those lines. Have also heard some weird story about a car being parked in a corn field. A LOT of rumors and misinformation around this case. This should have been solved the day his blood was found IMHO.

UPDATE: The grocery store he worked in (and presumably died in) closed its doors within the last week or so and is no longer in business.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...y-teen-could-prove-tough-for-prosecutors.html

BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter drozek@suntimes.com
January 20, 2012 8:04PM
Updated: January 21, 2012 2:06AM

It's really sad. I'm around the same age as him and live in the next town over. I didn't live here before but my husband and people in a few of our groups of friends were friends with him or acquaintances. My husband saw him either the night or the day before he disappeared and has his theory on why it happened (I don't think it's any different than LE's theory if I remember correctly). The night he disappeared hubby saw something weird in a cornfield but he thinks people were spooked away and there was nothing that ended up being there. It's one of those cases where everyone knows what happened but there's just nothing that can be done about it because there is no evidence whatsoever. The local LE is not equipped for that kind of thing, all they really do is watch the local bar for drunks driving home and harass boaters in the summer. It's talked about openly with people like it is fact, people morbidly joke about how they stopped buying ground beef from there. Of course it technically IS hearsay so it could possibly not be true but...it's a small town and I'm pretty sure they didn't keep the story to themselves. MOO.

ETA I just realized I pretty much rewrote the same post as a few months ago...whoops.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back