IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019 #2

Thanks a bunch!
animated-smileys-waving-016.gif

Friday, May 13th:
*Status Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9/now 11) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 12/3/21 reference post #20 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...hs-of-5-people-goodfield-6-apr-2019-2.603311/

2/28/22 Update: Judge allowed a 47 minute interview to be seen at Alwood's hearing. During the interview Kyle Alwood said he understood what a fire can do. Explained how he set a frisbee on fire and described what the night of the fire was like. Next hearing on 4/11/22.
4/11/22 Update: Kyle will not have to be in the courtroom when his trial begins. A judge granted the request during a hearing in Woodford County Circuit Court. Alwood’s attorney said in court that his client has problems being in the courtroom, but didn’t elaborate. Prosecutors didn’t object to the request. The boy, however, is not yet believed to have been found fit to stand trial on murder & arson charges after the blaze. Another hearing is scheduled for 5/13/22.

I had to remove the link to the site because my browser listed it as a honeypot :eek:

Is 25 News a valid source ?

25 News reports Woodford County Judge Charles Feeney Friday set a “discharge hearing” for August 12th in the case of the now-11-year-old boy — identified by his mother in the media as Kyle Alwood.

Evidence is expected to be presented at the hearing to determine whether the boy could be fit to stand trial within the next year.

Last edited:
I had to remove the link to the site because my browser listed it as a honeypot :eek:

Is 25 News a valid source ?

25 News reports Woodford County Judge Charles Feeney Friday set a “discharge hearing” for August 12th in the case of the now-11-year-old boy — identified by his mother in the media as Kyle Alwood.

Evidence is expected to be presented at the hearing to determine whether the boy could be fit to stand trial within the next year.

So - did the defense file a motion to dismiss? Or will this be like an evidentiary hearing?
TIA if you know!

Anyone know what happened with the mother's criminal misdemeanor case (Katrina Alwood)? Her last hearing that I have was 1/8/21. It is in Woodford County - I have no case #. Anyone have access to that?
Just wondering "what" happened with that case.

Feeney set an Aug. 12 discharge hearing where he will rule on whether he will consider the new evidence in his decision in the case. A discharge hearing requires the state to prove the allegations against the child beyond a reasonable doubt. If the state is successful in proving its case, the judge would allow the child to continue with treatment to attain mental fitness for trial, a process that could take up to five years.

The fact that this tragedy happened when he was just 8 years old is so crazy. Even if he an history of playing with fire, shouldn't that have properly been dealt with? CPS performed several visits to the home, why did the mother never mentioned the issue? This is neglect, he should've received help and I hope he's receiving it now.

I'm still not super convinced by the way this story was told and some details.

How old is he now? His childhood is gone forever. Poor kid.

The fact that this tragedy happened when he was just 8 years old is so crazy. Even if he an history of playing with fire, shouldn't that have properly been dealt with? CPS performed several visits to the home, why did the mother never mentioned the issue? This is neglect, he should've received help and I hope he's receiving it now.

I'm still not super convinced by the way this story was told and some details.

How old is he now? His childhood is gone forever. Poor kid.

I have his age at 9 at the time of the fire - and I see an article that says he is now 12. I had 11 - so changing my notes.

I have his age at 9 at the time of the fire - and I see an article that says he is now 12. I had 11 - so changing my notes.
I believe he was 8 at the time of the fire and was already 9 when he got "arrested". But I might be wrong.

Just caught up on reading this one. I can't believe this case is still being drug out on a  child.

IMO, whether the fire was actually lit by him or not, he was a child. A child whose brain has not been fully developed. I fully believe that if he was responsible he did not do it with the intention of killing his family.
Kyle was failed greatly here in a myriad of ways.

It's hard to not see a problem that the only people to escape this deadly fire is a child that is being accused of setting the fire and his mother. That along with the tall tales from the mother seem odd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back