IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy charged in Woodford arson deaths found unfit for trial

EUREKA -- A Woodford County boy will not likely be able to stand trial within the coming year on allegations he set a fire that killed five.

The information was given during a Thursday morning hearing in the juvenile division of Woodford County Circuit Court where he was found unfit to stand trial.

The fitness issue is a critical step as, legally, a person must be able to understand the proceedings and assist in their defense. If one can’t, then the case stops and the person is often sent off for mental health treatment to see if they can be made "fit."

The boy, then 9, was charged in October with first-degree murder, arson and aggravated arson. Also because of his age, a conviction cannot bring incarceration. Probation is possible, for a minimum of five years but not beyond the age of 21. Therapy, counseling and psychological evaluation would be likely.

EUREKA -- A Woodford County boy will not likely be able to stand trial within the coming year on allegations he set a fire that killed five.

The information was given during a Thursday morning hearing in the juvenile division of Woodford County Circuit Court where he was found unfit to stand trial.

The fitness issue is a critical step as, legally, a person must be able to understand the proceedings and assist in their defense. If one can’t, then the case stops and the person is often sent off for mental health treatment to see if they can be made "fit."

The boy, then 9, was charged in October with first-degree murder, arson and aggravated arson. Also because of his age, a conviction cannot bring incarceration. Probation is possible, for a minimum of five years but not beyond the age of 21. Therapy, counseling and psychological evaluation would be likely.
Did you catch this for your notes?
There next will be a status hearing on Aug. 6 at 11:30 a.m.

That's what I expected. This boy needs help, not being put through all of these Court procedings that he clearly doesn't understand.

Thursday, August 6th:
*Status Hearing (@ 11:30am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 11/22/19 reference post #840 here:
IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

12/2/20 Update: Defense attorney Peter Dluski requested the approval of funds to retain a Chicago-area doctor who will determine the boy’s fitness & to retain a private investigator. State’s Attorney Greg Minger did not object to either motion but noted the private investigator is Dave Frank, a retired police officer who works part-time with the Metamora Police Dept. in Woodford County. Judge Charles Feeny granted both motions but said he might not approve the doctor later, emphasizing the value of an objection and “meaningful expert”. The next hearing in the juvenile case was scheduled for 3:45pm. Feb. 27, granting enough time for the boy’s fitness evaluation.
4/22/20 Update: Virtual custody hearing Wednesday. The hearing happened via Zoom. Woodford County Judge Charles Feeney ruled the boy will stay with his paternal grandparents, who are acting as his foster parents right now. The Judge said Kyle’s father will now be allowed to have unsupervised visits with his son. The boy's next day in court for the murder case is set for May 11.
5/11/20 Update: Hearing was held via Zoom without defendant present. Hearing continued to 6/1.
7/9/20 Update: The boy will not likely be able to stand trial within the coming year on allegations he set a fire that killed five. The information was given during a Thursday morning hearing in the juvenile division of Woodford County Circuit Court where he was found unfit to stand trial. Also because of his age, a conviction cannot bring incarceration. Probation is possible, for a minimum of five years but not beyond the age of 21. Therapy, counseling and psychological evaluation would be likely. Status hearing 8/6/20.

Can anyone access this article?

https://eu.pjstar.com/story/news/20...ggested-fatal-2019-goodfield-fire/3777399001/

All I can see is from my alert:
New witness, new information suggested regarding fatal 2019 Goodfield fire
Peoria Journal Star
After charges were filed, Katrina Alwood publicly identified the suspect as her son Kyle Alwood. Over the summer, a court-appointed analyst found the ...

New information is being reviewed regarding a mobile-home fire that killed five people last year near Goodfield, according to authorities.

The nature of that information wasn't revealed during a brief Woodford County Circuit Court hearing Thursday for the 10-year-old boy accused of setting the fire that killed members of his family.

Woodford County State's Attorney Greg Minger said in court his office received the new information Oct. 27. A new witness also was being sought for questioning.

Minger described the witness as homeless, although he suggested his office knows his or her whereabouts.

After charges were filed, Katrina Alwood publicly identified the suspect as her son Kyle Alwood.

If it wasn't for that KA changing her story so much...
Yes I do think she shoved her kid under the bus, so to speak.
Ugh.
Something horrible happened but I don't think this boy murdered those people, or that he set a deadly fire intending to do maximum damage.
My .02.

And don't get me started on those 'home videos'. :mad:

If it wasn't for that KA changing her story so much...
Yes I do think she shoved her kid under the bus, so to speak.
Ugh.
Something horrible happened but I don't think this boy murdered those people, or that he set a deadly fire intending to do maximum damage.
My .02.

And don't get me started on those 'home videos'. :mad:
I honestly didn't think he did it on purpose, with an intent to kill or hurt anyone. But at this point, I'm starting to have a really hard time believing he did anything at all. I think this poor child was not supposed to survive, if you know what I mean...

The fact that his mother identified him as the "suspect" also baffles me. Why would she do that? She didn't have to.

The whole story makes no sense. I can't imagine this new "witness" would have anything to add against the child that was accused, right? I think the witness may have information to help the child, someone has probably been talking around the town and it got to the attorney.

I wish we had some locals here that could help us figure out what has been said about this case locally.

I honestly didn't think he did it on purpose, with an intent to kill or hurt anyone. But at this point, I'm starting to have a really hard time believing he did anything at all. I think this poor child was not supposed to survive, if you know what I mean...

The fact that his mother identified him as the "suspect" also baffles me. Why would she do that? She didn't have to.

The whole story makes no sense. I can't imagine this new "witness" would have anything to add against the child that was accused, right? I think the witness may have information to help the child, someone has probably been talking around the town and it got to the attorney.

I wish we had some locals here that could help us figure out what has been said about this case locally.

What you've said above, @Lusitana, makes a lot of sense. I always felt that something in the original story just didn't sound right, and your first impression was like mine, and then, like you, I began to think he didn't have anything to do with it at all.

Same with the "new witness" -- maybe s/he heard something and told someone else, etc., etc.
I'm feeling a bit better about this young boy now though -- I just hope he has already had some positive help in dealing with all this, and I'm hoping that good and skilled folks can help him for more than just a short time in the future as well.

I agree with those who don’t think we have the whole story. I mean, it’s possibly KA set the fire with intent, but it just seems unlikely to me, and I wonder if he “confessed” because he was told it was his fault or due to the way he was questioned. It’s possible his story of his escape didn’t hold up, but I keep thinking back to his YouTube videos and that he seemed like a neat kid.

Not that “neat” kids don’t kill. A 12 year old boy in my town stabbed his mother and killed her because she took away his computer because of a low grade, and then stabbed his older sister who tried to intervene, seriously injuring her. The Dad traveled a lot for work, and was gone when it happened. Grandma lived with them. It was, by all appearances, just a normal, functional, fairly affluent family. He was involved in scouts, played a musical instrument, had friends, but was also deeply involved in (addicted to?) extremely violent video games unbeknownst to his parents. There may have been other unknown mental health issues, but overall he appeared to be a “neat kid.” I suspect he acted impulsively in anger. He is incarcerated in the juvenile justice system until he is 25, receiving counseling and is doing well. I hope the same for KA if it comes to that, but that’s a long way off.

Even if it’s eventually proven that he didn’t do anything and was falsely accused, I highly doubt this whole situation didn’t already do a number on this kid.
At least he was finally taken from that nasty house. I hope he is okay, being loved and cared for by his dad and paternal grandparents.
I wonder what his mom is up to these days.

Even if it’s eventually proven that he didn’t do anything and was falsely accused, I highly doubt this whole situation didn’t already do a number on this kid.
At least he was finally taken from that nasty house. I hope he is okay, being loved and cared for by his dad and paternal grandparents.
I wonder what his mom is up to these days.

Probably pregnant, living in another trailer park, with a new meth head guy. Getting her soda and Ramen noodles with her SNAP benefits card at Walmart.

Probably pregnant, living in another trailer park, with a new meth head guy. Getting her soda and Ramen noodles with her SNAP benefits card at Walmart.
Very frightening to think that she could have more children that she doesn't want.
Almost like having children to claim for benefits.
That's just wrong.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads