IL IL - Debbie Fijan, 10, DuPage County, 11 Feb 1966 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, it was nice to read he found my email "interesting" and was looking forward to speaking with me after he is caught up with his current work load and cleared it with Debbies brother, which I respect and understand.

The cold case unit in DuPage County was reopened not long ago and I doubt they have much time to spend on these cases as they are busy with their regular workload. It seems the detective has it on his agenda and has talked to Debbie's brother Jack and emailed Cubby. This guy is probably really busy and who knows how much time he will be able to spend on this case. It might not be a bad idea to mention the Vidocq Society to him. It would be a shame it they didn't accept any help that they could get at this point and this group has a vast amount of experience and resources. I just thought I'd throw this out there....something to think.

good idea abbey, I will put that on my to do list... and email him their info early next week. I'd like to give him the opportunity to review the file and speak with Debbies brother... and possibly he and the Fijan family may agree to that route.

I think its very possible that a new look through the evidence can have positive results. Forensic testing of the evidence must occur. My hope is that the detective(s) will share information not previously available to the public---By sharing this information, we of the "websleuthing" sort can check through 40 years of history for patterns, similar cases, etc that may finally solve this case.

I hope so too Shadow. Time will tell. If nothing else, perhaps they would be willing to share some information they beleive would not hurt the investigation.

I don't know if I mentioned this on forum. I have to a few off forum, but I will share now. I'm taking a local citizens police course in my community. It's given me a wonderful opportunity to learn more details regarding policing as well as investigations and given me the opportunity to ask some questions.

I did ask a few questions regarding retaining evidence. Particularly with regards to Sally Kandels murder and the crimes of Macek.

I learned that the Illinois law requiring evidence in a murder case to be held pretty much forever due to the fact that it must be held at least through all of the appeals process, was enacted much later than 1987 when Macek hung himself. It was actually one of that last laws that former Governor Ryan signed before he was booted out so to speak.

what that means is there may or may not be evidence still held in Illinois regarding any of the crimes Macek committed.

In addition, they told me in order to dispose of evidence in a murder trial, according to current law, they would have to go before a judge to demonstrate why the evidence is no longer needed and should be disposed of.

Of course I have no idea how things were done in relation to this back in the 60's through 80's when Maceks crimes occured, so the evidence may or may not still be around. It also leads me to wonder what the laws were prior to the most recent law signed by Governor Ryan.... and if back then stuff was retained or disposed of more easily.

Of course the above doesn't really answer any questions, just some information I learned which I wanted to share here. IF any evidence is needed from any of Maceks cases, lets hope one of the jurisdictions in which he was convicted still has evidence in storage somewhere.

ETA: However, my step dad is retired LE (retired as chief) and began his career in the 60's... so he may be willing to share some of how things were done with evidence back then... at least what knowledg he has. To bad he has no interest in sleuthing.. I wish he did. BUT he is always willing to answer any and all of my questions to the best of his ability.... and his LE career was in Illinois.

The cold case unit in DuPage County was reopened not long ago and I doubt they have much time to spend on these cases as they are busy with their regular workload. It seems the detective has it on his agenda and has talked to Debbie's brother Jack and emailed Cubby. This guy is probably really busy and who knows how much time he will be able to spend on this case. It might not be a bad idea to mention the Vidocq Society to him. It would be a shame it they didn't accept any help that they could get at this point and this group has a vast amount of experience and resources. I just thought I'd throw this out there....something to think.

Abbey, I brought up those same thoughts in class. The detective heading the class mentioned anyone in LE would want to get a case off the books if possible, so he was pretty positive about the possibilities of moving this case forward, despite it being 44 years old.

I've bookmarked the names of two journalists in the Chicago area who have written recent articles on cold cases. One mentioned Barbara Glueckerts cold case from 1976 and the other a cold case here in DuPage which is 5 or so years old. One is with the Daily Herald, they other with CBS2.

I really think we can get media attention for Debbies case. Especially since there has basically been none since the few months following her murder and the case has officially been reopened.

I really haven't been involved in trying to get a case media attention previously, but I know I can ask for and get some direction and assistance from the wonderful WS'rs here.

I would like to at least wait until we know the detective has had the opportunity to review Debbies file and hopefully get some feedback from her brother.

Anyone with experience getting media involved in cold cases? Thoughts?

TIA

ETA: I'm compiling a list, so when the time comes we will have a few people to contact and garner some interest in doing a few articles on Debbies case.

Here is the link for the Vodocq Society Abbey5 mentioned.

http://www.vidocq.org/

I'm going to wait to mention this organization to the detective once we have confirmation he has reviewed Debbies case file.

Of course if Debbies brother sees this, he is welcome to mention it to the detective as well.

The recent news stories making the rounds that implicate Jeffrey Dahmer in the disappearance and death of Adam Walsh may help generate some media interest in Debbie's case, due in part to similarities in the stories....The local law enforcement authorities were certain that Otis Toole had murdered Adam, just as LE were sure about Schofield in Debbie's death. The Miami Herald did some digging and were able to place Dahmer near Adam, just as we have been able to do with Richard Macek.

Its an angle to explore, at the least.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/mar...d-case-against-jeffrey-d/?partner=yahoo_feeds

That was a good article Shadow. I'm not that creative with coming up with idea's for articles. I always admire the talents of creative writers, whether they be media or books. Especially since it is a talent I don't possess. (sp?) :)

What does everyone think of my emailing media shortly? Giving them a similiar summary of what we uncovered regarding Macek that I sent in the email to the detective handling Debbies case. Give the media a brief status of where this stands with the new detective handling Debbies case and the links to both threads we have regarding Debbies case here at WS.

Perhaps that might give the media some idea's or interest? I just don't want to be over anxious and jumping the gun or putting the cart before the horse kind of thing. I also really don't want to see all this work we have done on Debbies case hit a lul while we wait for the detective to have time in his busy schedule to review the case file.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions guys! Looking for it from you wonderful sleuths!

Thanks!

I had the opportunity to drive by Benjamin school again this morning because I had to run an errand further west than where Debbie went to school and lived. Since school is out for the spring break, I took the opportunity to drive around the school. There is no memorial of any kind for Debbie, at least none on the outside of the school. There is no more play ground with swings, which isn't surprising. I believe due to insurance costs and liability many schools eliminated swings, slides etc.

If LisaWilliams is still checking in, I have a question. How many homes were on St. Charles Road between the school and Fair Oaks Rd in February of 1966? Wayne Oaks Road runs north -ends at St. Charles- between the school and Fair Oaks Rds. There are currently houses on both corners of Wayne Oaks and St. Charles. (these are the only two homes currently on St. Charles between the school and Fair Oaks Rd. There is a 3rd house on the NE corner of Fair Oaks). I'm not sure if they look old enough to have been built in the 60's or the 70's. Just to get a better idea of the immediate area surrounding the school, I was hoping you might remember if these two homes or any homes were on St. Charles between the school and Fair Oaks at the time.

Thank you!

A few more thoughts regarding both ROM and LS have occured to me.

Macek first.

There is an older motel very close to where Debbie went to school, on North Ave. just a little east of St. Charles Rd. (Debbies school on St. Charles road is very close to where it intersects with North Ave.)

The motel is named Du Wayne Motel. Built about the late 1940's.
It occured to me, since ROM later stalked his victims at motels, I wonder if he started lurking around them when he was younger and had any previous crimes around/near motels in the 60's.

This motel is actually closer to Benjamin school than Debbies home.

google map searching the motel name.

When you look at this following link in the small map top right, the two small ponds just above the word North, in North Ave are the Sidwell pond ( one to the left ) which were searched for the weapon used in Debbies murder. This should give readers an idea of the proximity of the motel and the school.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...l&hnear=carol+stream&cid=18211135666291867981

Sorry to quote myself, but I wanted to tie the above with the following information. Directly west and right next to the DuWayne motel is the Olde North Pancake house. (when I go back out west late this afternoon I will confirm if the school is in view from the parking lot of the pancake house, but I am pretty sure it is.)

This pancake house was most likely built in conjunction with the motel to serve meals to the guests as well as other local residents. The pancake house, like the motel, were likely both built in the 1940's.

With Maceks history of stalking victims at motels AND having previously employment history as a cook, I can't help but wonder if he ever worked at the Olde North Pancake house.. and if so, was he employed there when Debbie was abducted and murdered? Sure, that could be coincidence, but there are an awful lot of coincidences surrounding Macek and possible ties to Debbies case.

Here is a blog with a picture of the Olde North Pancake house. The motel is not in view but it would be directly to the left and next to the pancake house.

http://illinoispancakes.blogspot.com/2007/08/olde-north-pancake-house-west-chicago_08.html

Cubby, Could you send the detective a quick email and find out what he thinks about the media idea? I think it is a great next step forward, but he may want to do a little digging on his own before the media get involved... He might feel that it could hamper his efforts in some way that we have not considered yet.

Also, the family may not want the media attention. It might be good to get their blessing, too. We just wouldn't want to step on any toes unnecessarily... It will be so much better if everyone is still cooperating.

Just my two cents!
DM

Those are both great idea's dashamarie. I should definately get LE as well as the family's blessing first.

There is an article which is a few years old regarding Debbies case, but it was before the investigation was officially re-opened. It's a pay to view the full article, but there is enough of it to read free for a good indication the family was at the time open to media attention.

I will try and find it and relink it.

Thank you for participating here at Debbies thread! It means a lot and is very much appreciated!

ETA: I'm sure you can all tell I am like a race horse ready to bust out of the gate with this case, lol. I need to excersize a little of my 'Cub fan' patience. ;)

I know this is just the opinion of a grumpy, cynical old man, but at this point-after 44 years-stepping on LE's toes isnt really a concern to me. The family is a different story, however I think its up to the media member to clear things with either.
We are simply trying to generate interest in a story, not actually generating the story for widespread public view.

Hey there Shadow, we aren't old enough to be grumpy old folks yet! :croc:

I know this is just the opinion of a grumpy, cynical old man, but at this point-after 44 years-stepping on LE's toes isnt really a concern to me. The family is a different story, however I think its up to the media member to clear things with either.
We are simply trying to generate interest in a story, not actually generating the story for widespread public view.

I agee...this from a semi-old, grumpy & cynical at times woman.

Yes,Cubby, I think you should email media about this case. I think your local media will eat it up. Please let us know what they say when you do email them. I can't wait to see our ideas and research in print. That would be so cool.

ok, will email the media early next week. They can contact the Fijan family and local LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member