Identified! IL - DuPage Co., Boy, 3-5, found in laundry bag, Oct'05 - Atzel Olmedo

Wow--what a shocking end to this, but at least this little boy has a name, and some family who loved him.

You have to wonder...if the mother has not been located, perhaps the stepfather killed her too, later on?

OK, so all the talk and testing that led us to think the mother was perhaps First Nation from Canada was wrong?:waitasec:

OK, so all the talk and testing that led us to think the mother was perhaps First Nation from Canada was wrong?:waitasec:

I went back to check the dates. The MSM article regarding the isotope analysis was published in November of 2007. (post #122) This is prior to the date the Trib mentions the sister of Atcel coming forward. April 2008.

A lot of unanswered questions.. The following is pure speculation on how the possible First Nation/Canada ties into this. Perhaps the sister who came forward and Atcel share different parents (perhaps the step father is her step, but Atcels biological father), or perhaps as a result of knowing the 'step father' has been indicted on federal charges regarding the False ID ring, Atcels mother was spending time in Canada while she was pregnant with him. I don't believe the study to be false, it was made available to the public prior to Atcels sister coming forward.

hth

JMO

Authorities silent on case of dead boy

Local, state and federal authorities all refused to comment Friday on a published report that partially identifies a boy found dead more than five years ago in Naperville Township and the circumstances surrounding his death.

“We are currently investigating” the 2005 death of the boy, said Dawn Domrose, spokeswoman for DuPage County Sheriff John A. Zaruba. “It’s an open investigation for the sheriff’s office, and we don’t comment on active investigations.”

Spokesmen for other agencies also refused to discuss a report in the Chicago Tribune concerning the little boy.

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/3899319-418/authorities-silent-on-case-of-dead-boy.html

This id is really bittersweet. It brought back memories of when Beloved Doe was finally id'd and not only did that precious child finally have his name back, Houston LE and the media shared photos of how beautiful José Bernardo Martinez looked in life.

It brings back memories of several of us spending hours going post by post to remove morgue photos of Tawni Lee Mazzone after she was finally id'd. After finally getting her name back and seeing how beautiful she was in life.

It brought me to tears thinking wow, DuPage Johnny doe finally has his name, we know his name, but with authorities silent, all we have to remember Atcel by is his clay recon and some sketches.

I realize a case must be solved and justice must be brought to those responsible, however where is the human side of this story? Atcel was more than sketches and a clay recon. He was a little boy who hopefully felt love and gave love in his short life. I hope someone comes forward with a photo of precious Atcel. His name is out there, it's out of the bag so to speak. He deserves to be remembered by more than sketches, a clay recon, a tombstone which still identifies him as a John Doe and “It’s an open investigation for the sheriff’s office, and we don’t comment on active investigations.”

Keeping you in my prayers Atcel.

"Atcel was more than sketches and a clay recon. He was a little boy who hopefully felt love and gave love in his short life..."

Cubby, thank you for a most eloquent post. It made me weep.

Rest in Peace, sweet baby. May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Feds offer to help stalled police probe to find family of slain boy in Mexico

Nearly three years after authorities learned the identity of a little boy whose decomposed remains were found in DuPage County, federal and local law enforcement agencies are trying to jump-start the long-stalled investigation into the child's death.

After the Tribune recently detailed the boy's story, the U.S. Department of Justice is stepping up efforts to reach out to Mexican officials to locate and interview his mother, stepfather and grandmother and collect DNA samples. They are believed to be living together near Mexico City. No relatives have been charged in the boy's death.

<snip>

The investigation has "barely started" and was stalled because of a lack of cooperation among federal agencies reluctant to intervene in a case where murder charges haven't been filed, said a law enforcement source familiar with the case.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0110226_1_feds-offer-police-probe-mexico-city

In a day and age where we can get murder convictions in no body murder cases it sucks we can barely get cooperation when a child not quite three is found but a COD can not be made due to decomp.

I can't help but wonder why the federal false id ring isn't or hasn't helped with locating Atcels parents in this case. I did some reading on that case, and it appears at least one of the family members of someone arrested in connection with that case is talking. Clearly they have to know of Atcels family...... http://www.suadleija.com/home ETA: I think this is the same 'ring' Atcels father worked with and I imagine he is one of the fugitives mentioned in this case. I'm not 100% certain though.

I'm praying this additional help from outside jurisdictions helps bring Atcel the justice he so deserves.

Maybe not.... the Trib article in post 224 indicates Atcels father was named in the federal indictment sometime in 2008?
The stepfather, they said, moved to the Mexico City area after the girl's April 2008 abuse complaint and before he was named in a federal indictment targeting members of a fraudulent identification ring in the Little Village neighborhood.

The link I found here: http://www.suadleija.com/manuel_leija_sanchez is listed as April of 2007.

There still has to be some kind of tie between these families from the Mexico City area. There has to be some way the jurisdictions can work together on both of these cases.

RIP Atcel, I pray there is justice for you sweet boy!

Thinking of Atcel and praying for justice for him. Also praying LE is making progress on his case.

Thinking of Atcel and praying for justice for him. Also praying LE is making progress on his case.

:bump:

As I am again thinking about Atcel and praying LE is making progress on his case. We'll never forget you Atcel.

The mystery behind how he died lingers, but on a recent fall day, authorities quietly gave him back his identity — Atcel Olmedo.
His name was carved into the marble that had long read: "Son. Unknown. But Not Forgotten."

73311820.jpg

The gravestone of a boy found dead in a laundry bag in a field in Naperville Township in 2005 was updated last month to include his name, Atcel Olmedo. Atcel is buried at Assumption Cemetery in Wheaton. (Stacey Wescott, Chicago Tribune)
"The tombstone says so much, 'Not forgotten,' and he isn't," said DuPage Coroner Pete Siekmann, who in one of his final acts in office before retiring this month pushed to make sure Atcel was publicly named.

The oldest teen, who spoke out four years ago to ensure that Atcel didn't remain nameless, is now an 18-year-old high school graduate who is considering college.

Full article at link:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...page-s-johnny-doe-stepfather-unidentified-boy

We finally have a last name and his grave marker has been updated. Thank you Mr. Siekmann!

Oh how I wish we had a photo of what Atcel looked like in life, but I am ecstatic and in tears his grave marker is finally updated.

Sleep peacefully Atcel Olmedo, you are not forgotten. :rose:

Siekmann says he’s hoping that there will be a break in the case someday.
Dawn Domrose, a DuPage sheriff’s office spokeswoman, said no charges have been filed and there have been no recent leads.

“It’s still an open investigation and all leads are pursued as they’re developed,” said Domrose, adding that the boy’s mother and father are believed to be in Mexico.

There is still a reward of $11,000 being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20121115/news/711159641/

This makes me so sad, how can a mother sit there and watch her children become someone's punching bags. And then to just toss your baby away like trash...I do hope that they catch this people and that they pay for what they did to this sweet boy.

Sister of boy once known as 'DuPage Johnny Doe' sheds light on mystery

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-naperville-johnny-doe-met-20151112-story.html

Long article but a must read. It answers many questions about both Atcel's family and the complications in obtaining justice for Atcel.

I'd like to thank his sister for her courage in coming forward again and sharing she and her brothers story. God Bless you, Karina. :rose:

253x450

Several were drawn, but the boy's sister says this sketch is the closest likeness of her brother Atcel Olmedo.
(DuPage County sheriff's office)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-naperville-johnny-doe-met-20151112-story.html

i am glad we know his name was atcel, the article had me in tears...not even three years old and life seems to have been hell
hope you are at peace little man, nobody can hurt you anymore

Lupus est *advertiser censored* homini, non *advertiser censored*, quom qualis sit non novit

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back