IL - Girl, 17, strangled, left for dead, Belleville, 27 April 2006

It may take more than one session before a St. Clair grand jury issues an indictment against a former Freeburg teacher accused of strangling a teenager and leaving her for dead in a Belleville park.

Since Samson R. "Sam" Shelton posted bond and was released from jail, prosecutors have more than the standard 30 days to establish the probable cause needed for a grand jury to issue an indictment, State's Attorney Robert Haida said Friday.

"The grand jury is an independent, investigative body," Haida said. "They have the option of issuing subpoenas to obtain more information."

More at link..
http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/n...ts/14627007.htm

I noticed that the 18 yr old, when on the phone with Sam, didn't ask him if he did it but instead asked "how could you do that?" So she is aware that he did do it yet she still goes to visit him. I would imagine that Mom and Grandma were home when she went to visit but WHY would she want to visit him in the first place. How could she even stand to look at him? I wonder if she knew Ashley.

There is no doubt that he planned to kill Ashley. Can you imagine having a broken neck and then someone trying to strangle you with a belt...3 different times :furious: Hopfully she wasn't aware of anything by then. He must have thought Ashley was dead when he left her there. I can only believe that the good Lord was watching over Ashley because when someone breaks your neck and strangles you three different times and leaves you in a field for 30 hours it is nothing short of a miracle to still be alive.

There is no way in heck that my daughter would have gone to visit him. I wouldn't have cared if she was 30! I would have gone to his mother's house and clung to the door casing so she couldn't open the door if necessary. Maybe the parents of this 18 yr old should take their daughter on a trip to the hospital and ask if she could be allowed to peek into Ashley's room. Maybe if she could see the shape Ashley is in she would come to her senses..."in love with him" ...get a grip girl or you just might be next :banghead:

I wish that we knew her condition. If it was positive, I think we would have known by now. This poor trusting child. She went thru such an horrific crime and probably never thought this man would hurt her.

I have a 16 yr old that thinks I'm just paranoid because I watch over her soooo much. She is my life, my best friend. I would be lost without her.

If this creep has stolen her car maybe then they'd hold him without bail .
This is the most frustrating ,disgusting news ,that a dangerously violent creep with intent to kill a child, could be allowed contact with young girls .How can anyone sleep at night in Iowa ? Especially Ashley's mother . This is a travesty .:confused:

On the news the other night Ashley's mother said that the doctors don't think there is any spinal damage but she didn't mention brain damage. I don't know if Ashley is aware or talking yet. Her mom didn't mention that she is aware.

This creep went out Line dancing after he left Ashley in that field for dead. Can you believe that! Acted like nothing had happened. To me that spells psychopath. It's like the killer that commits a gruesome murder and then goes home and eats a steak dinner and watches TV like nothing at all happened.

I don't know why it would take the Grand Jury any time at all to indict this guy. He led LE to Ashley and told LE what he did to her and how he did it and how many times he did it. Seems to me with that info it should take the GJ about 5 minutes to indict. Should be a no brainer.

Bobbisangel said:
On the news the other night Ashley's mother said that the doctors don't think there is any spinal damage but she didn't mention brain damage. I don't know if Ashley is aware or talking yet. Her mom didn't mention that she is aware.

This creep went out Line dancing after he left Ashley in that field for dead. Can you believe that! Acted like nothing had happened. To me that spells psychopath. It's like the killer that commits a gruesome murder and then goes home and eats a steak dinner and watches TV like nothing at all happened.

I don't know why it would take the Grand Jury any time at all to indict this guy. He led LE to Ashley and told LE what he did to her and how he did it and how many times he did it. Seems to me with that info it should take the GJ about 5 minutes to indict. Should be a no brainer.

I hope Ashley is in no danger of getting West Nile Virus after receiving all those bites for some 30 hours as she lay in the woods .What are people thinking ? It is like his actions are being sanctioned by everyone around him-including LE .Being the psychopath he surely is, his "sob story" must be convincing . The question is -why would anyone even care what his "story" is . There is no excuse for doing what he did . He should be in custody . He obviously has connections somewhere .If ( God forbid ) he walks on this-his crimes will not stop until other innocent girls are attacked;maimed; and killed .
Has Nancy Grace profiled this case yet ? I haven't seen her show for awhile .
That morons' picture should be plastered from one end of the country to the other . When I read that he was on a suicide watch while incarcerated , I knew then that he really had somebody fooled . This whole case thus far is nauseating , the way he is already being let off the hook -at the risk of the community-and other innocent kids . :sick:

desertjade said:
I hope Ashley is in no danger of getting West Nile Virus after receiving all those bites for some 30 hours as she lay in the woods .What are people thinking ? It is like his actions are being sanctioned by everyone around him-including LE .Being the psychopath he surely is, his "sob story" must be convincing . The question is -why would anyone even care what his "story" is . There is no excuse for doing what he did . He should be in custody . He obviously has connections somewhere .If ( God forbid ) he walks on this-his crimes will not stop until other innocent girls are attacked;maimed; and killed .
Has Nancy Grace profiled this case yet ? I haven't seen her show for awhile .
That morons' picture should be plastered from one end of the country to the other . When I read that he was on a suicide watch while incarcerated , I knew then that he really had somebody fooled . This whole case thus far is nauseating , the way he is already being let off the hook -at the risk of the community-and other innocent kids . :sick:
I totally agree with what you saying. just like joseph edward duncan getting out on bail, and then goes across the country kills 3 innocent family members, abducts two small children, rapes both of them for days if not weeks and kills one of them and continues to molest the little girl for weeks after killing her brother. the justice system in this nation is putting our children at great risk by letting these people out on bail, what in the world are they thinking?

dannyodie said:
I totally agree with what you saying. just like joseph edward duncan getting out on bail, and then goes across the country kills 3 innocent family members, abducts two small children, rapes both of them for days if not weeks and kills one of them and continues to molest the little girl for weeks after killing her brother. the justice system in this nation is putting our children at great risk by letting these people out on bail, what in the world are they thinking?
When they kill anyone or molest a child ,they should have a tight leash on them for the rest of their life , IF they are ever put back in society . :confused:

I'm so glad that this girl's neck wasn't broken but I don't think that should make any difference in the charges against that little creep. I'm amazed that he wasn't able to kill her by choking her. I guess he didn't know how to do it because after 3 times it still didn't happen.. Thank God. Bottom line is he tried his best to kill her.

That is good that she is in Rehab now. I wonder how much brain damage that she suffered? She will probably never be the same girl. I wonder why he was trying to drag her out of the car?

I can't understand why they refuse to update her condition? There are a lot of people who care about what has happened to this young girl. I hope she keeps getting better and better and is able to go home in not to long.

Bobbisangel said:
I'm so glad that this girl's neck wasn't broken but I don't think that should make any difference in the charges against that little creep. I'm amazed that he wasn't able to kill her by choking her. I guess he didn't know how to do it because after 3 times it still didn't happen.. Thank God. Bottom line is he tried his best to kill her.

That is good that she is in Rehab now. I wonder how much brain damage that she suffered? She will probably never be the same girl. I wonder why he was trying to drag her out of the car?

I can't understand why they refuse to update her condition? There are a lot of people who care about what has happened to this young girl. I hope she keeps getting better and better and is able to go home in not to long.
It is incredible he didn't kill her ; but it wasn't for a lack of trying .
I once heard that if a person is trying to choke you , that if you raise both arms straight up , he won't be able to . I don't know how true that is , or if she tried that . It's a miracle she lived .
I am wondering if Ashley suffered brain damage ; and if they are keeping that mum to somehow prevent the bail revocation of that monster ?? He sure seems to be getting preferential treatment .

desertjade said:
It is incredible he didn't kill her ; but it wasn't for a lack of trying .
I once heard that if a person is trying to choke you , that if you raise both arms straight up , he won't be able to . I don't know how true that is , or if she tried that . It's a miracle she lived .
I am wondering if Ashley suffered brain damage ; and if they are keeping that mum to somehow prevent the bail revocation of that monster ?? He sure seems to be getting preferential treatment .

The guy must have been in a hurry and just didn't apply enough pressure. He used his belt which doesn't make much sense. He did his best though and it is only by the grace of God that she lived. Especially after laying out there for 30 hours.

I think the parents are trying to keep her damages quiet. Maybe they are hoping for a total recovery and don't want her to read papers talking about the possibility of brain damage if she heals fully. Or maybe they don't know yet if or how much brain damage there is. They have kind of skipped around the subject of brain damage but in the civil suit filed against him brain damage is listed.

I would imagine that the creeps attorney is keeping close tabs on Ashley's condition. I don't think there is any way they can keep it quiet with the exception of keeping it out of the paper. I'm sure they have requested the rehab center not speak with the press.

I'll never understand why he got bail. When you commit a murder or you try to murder someone you don't deserve to see the outside of a jail cell. Mom and Grandma probably mortgaged their home or used their life savings to bail that creep out. My kids can be thankful that they never did anything like that because they would have sat there regardless if I could pull the money together or not. They would have been lucky if I ever came to visit.

I can't believe the couch is only on house arrest until the trial starts?!?!?

WTH is that?
He left ths girl for dead. IMO he believed he had killed her.
I don't think he would have left her alive if he known she was.

Amraann said:
I can't believe the couch is only on house arrest until the trial starts?!?!?

WTH is that?
He left ths girl for dead. IMO he believed he had killed her.
I don't think he would have left her alive if he known she was.

I couldn't believe they let him out on bail. Apparently he has a teenage girlfriend who has visited him since he was released. That really concerned me when I read that in an article awhile back.

Not only is Sam Shelton out of jail on house arrest, but he is allowed to have teenage female visitors. He should be in jail. I'm suprised no one has come to 'visit' him with malicious intentions after what he did to this beautiful young girl.

I pray for Ashley every night. I'm glad to see this update. I've been wondering how her progress was coming along. It looked SO hopeless when they first started talking about her prognosis. It is truly a miracle that she's alive, talking and starting to walk. Bless this child.:blowkiss:

I am a few days late in posting this, but thought I would share. This past weekend I saw this girl on the local news. She had her first public apperance, and I was so stunned at her progress. This girl is amazingly strong! IMO She seemed in good spirits and is determined to make it past this tragic part of her life. I am looking for an article from the news story. I will post if I find one.

Found one... http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/local/crime_courts/14892968.htm

iambehaving said:
I am a few days late in posting this, but thought I would share. This past weekend I saw this girl on the local news. She had her first public apperance, and I was so stunned at her progress. This girl is amazingly strong! IMO She seemed in good spirits and is determined to make it past this tragic part of her life. I am looking for an article from the news story. I will post if I find one.

Found one... http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/local/crime_courts/14892968.htm
Thank you so much for posting this! I was wondering what happened to this poor girl. I am so happy to read she is doing well.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back