Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

August 6th is the day JC had dinner with his son and was reportedly very intoxicated. Same day the search warrant was executed and same day the unknown coworker stopped by.
Thanks for the updates Cubby - much appreciated! I'm in northern IL but hadn't seen or read of the updates you provided yet. Have a great day! GO CUBS GO!!

FOX 32 Chicago has also learned Elmhurst Police executed a search warrant at Cefolia's house on August 6 – the day before he disappeared.

According to the report, evidence was collected and packaged.

Jake Cefolia disappearance: United Airlines executive from Elmhurst missing for a year
"The family of Jake Cefolia has no comment at this time regarding the search for our missing family member. We are continuing to monitor the search for Jake that is being conducted by the Elmhurst Police Department (EPD) and would refer you to the EPD for any updates."

In January, Elmhurst Police asked the FBI if Cefolia could be added to its list of missing or kidnapped persons. According to FOIA documents, EPD was told 'no' because there was no sign of foul play.

Thanks @Cubby. There's clearly a lot we don't know about this. From the search warrant info and from these statements it seems less likely he's in any kind of WPP or safehouse scenario

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021

So it seems that the FBI doesn’t think it’s foul play , which is why they wouldn’t add it to their missing persons list.

That leaves :
suicide ( unlikely- would have been found by now)
accident. ( ditto as above)
went off the grid - most likely MOO

It’s very strange that the family is not trying to keep his name out there.
Now if we can only find out more info about the investigation by the Elmhurst PD

One thing I'm puzzled by is this. His house was listed for sale in June. He missed a meeting with a realtor to sign a contract. It eventually was sold under POA two months later. If I knew I was on the verge of selling my house I'd at least have a plan for a next move. Even putting stuff in storage and renting a short term furnished apartment is a plan. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember any mention of anything like that. If he was putting stuff in storage you would think EPD would have known it and searched that too (for whatever it was they were looking for).

I wonder why he didn't petition the court for a reduction in CS due to his decrease in income.

Based on everything we know about this case, and the mindset of someone with a possible drinking problem, I think he is voluntarily missing.

*If* his drinking progressed to the point he could no longer control it, and is not in recovery, it's likely just thought to hell with it all. Addiction makes people do things they never thought possible.

I wonder why he didn't petition the court for a reduction in CS due to his decrease in income.

Based on everything we know about this case, and the mindset of someone with a possible drinking problem, I think he is voluntarily missing.

*If* his drinking progressed to the point he could no longer control it, and is not in recovery, it's likely just thought to hell with it all. Addiction makes people do things they never thought possible.

I think at that point, the airlines were talking about these kind of cuts if they couldn't get enough federal bailout money. IIRC, the airlines received very large grants from the federal government to keep their employees paid. Their industry alone received billions in bailout funds. As a top manager, JC would have known a pay cut for that reason, if it happened, would be temporary.

As you say, he probably knew he could get a reduction in CS payments. He was a smart, well educated professional in top management. JMO, he had some other kind of problem and he's in hiding to avoid it.

I don't think he's in the WPP, if he was, there'd be hush-hush on his disappearance.....we wouldn't even know about it.
Exactly! What better way for a shady character to find someone and eliminate them as a witness than to have everyone reading a message board looking for him and posting possible sightings.

He may have a drink problem, but if he did, I don't think it'd cause him to run away. It's hardly anything to be ashamed about. I'd wonder what was making him drink though.

Besides, wouldn't his employers have an obligation to help him with that on the healthcare front? They'd have to look upon it sympatheticly.

I think at that point, the airlines were talking about these kind of cuts if they couldn't get enough federal bailout money. IIRC, the airlines received very large grants from the federal government to keep their employees paid. Their industry alone received billions in bailout funds. As a top manager, JC would have known a pay cut for that reason, if it happened, would be temporary.

As you say, he probably knew he could get a reduction in CS payments. He was a smart, well educated professional in top management. JMO, he had some other kind of problem and he's in hiding to avoid it.

I'm in the same county as JC. Our county is very NCP friendly. It would have been easy to file for a temporary reduction in child support. A 10 percent change in income is all that's necessary. But, they will look at assets in addition to income so perhaps there was something hinky with the assets?

I'm in the same county as JC. Our county is very NCP friendly. It would have been easy to file for a temporary reduction in child support. A 10 percent change in income is all that's necessary. But, they will look at assets in addition to income so perhaps there was something hinky with the assets?

JMO, it seems more likely it had to do with him being under investigation for something. Local PD had issued a search warrant of his house the day before he disappeared

NBC 5 Investigates: Missing United Executive Leaves More Questions Than Answers

“Jake Cefolia was in trouble according to the Elmhurst police department. They say he was under investigation when he went missing. I don’t know what it was, but that adds another layer to this,” he said.

A law enforcement source confirms to NBC5 Investigates that he was under investigation but wouldn’t say what for.

Jake Cefolia disappearance: United Airlines executive from Elmhurst missing for a year

If this investigation had been going on for a while, he could have planned to drop out and disappear. He had already listed his house for sale months before he disappeared. Of course, that could also point to suicide, but he talked quite a bit about going "off the grid".

I have a feeling he will turn up eventually. JMO, he's still on someone's radar.

We're not seeing a lot of publicity for "Jake is missing - help us find him" efforts. Whatever he was being investigated for, it seems the party who was victimized doesn't want publicity.

All JMO

He may have a drink problem, but if he did, I don't think it'd cause him to run away. It's hardly anything to be ashamed about. I'd wonder what was making him drink though.

Besides, wouldn't his employers have an obligation to help him with that on the healthcare front? They'd have to look upon it sympatheticly.

No, his employers would not be obligated to help. Technically someone has to want help. Admit they have a problem and humble themselves to do whatever it takes to get sober, and stay sober.

People have all different kind of bottoms. I was lucky, mine was without any serious losses. Sadly, for others, their pride gets in the way and they just won't admit they need help. Some lose everything and still don't believe they need help. I knew people who chose not to see their kids in the state they were in, and had the idea they would see them once they were sober. And that lasted for not just years, but sometimes a decade or more.

The adults can handle this loss. It's Jake's kids my heart breaks for.

Really? That's not a thing in the US, where your employers have contacts through HR and other places where they can assist with returning their employees to full mental and physical well being?

It's offered, I just don't know how many people use it. Illinois is a right to work state, and unless someone is a member of a union, an employer does not need a reason to fire someone. I don't believe United top management would be under a union contract.

It's offered, I just don't know how many people use it. Illinois is a right to work state, and unless someone is a member of a union, an employer does not need a reason to fire someone. I don't believe United top management would be under a union contract.
I think what you say is correct. In my limited experience with the US corporate world, however, unless someone first did something illegal or inappropriate, they'd be more likely to take a family leave, or maybe even a temporary re-assignment, and get treatment. Corporations invest a lot of training, courses, and other resources in their top executives and don't like to see it wasted.

JMOO, whatever Jake was involved in that triggered the search warrant would seem to be a bigger issue than whether he did, or did not, have an alcohol problem. It was noted earlier that there is no mention of Jake now anywhere on United's web site. This seems in contrast to their statement made last August. They seem to have quietly distanced themselves.

“Our friend and colleague, Jake Cefolia, SVP of Worldwide Sales, was last seen Thursday evening, August 6th. We’re concerned about his well-being and have been in touch with Jake’s family over the last couple of days to offer them our support. At the request of the family, we won’t be releasing any additional details at this time." (post #17)

My only reason for bringing up the drinking is how it distorts a person's thinking. Addiction tends to magnify or minimize thinking. If Jake left of his own accord, his decisions at that time may have been effected by his drinking.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/what-happened-to-jake-cefolia-missing-united-executive-case-still-unsolved-one-year-later/2580419
….
But the last purchase Cefolia ever made on his Chase credit card was $59.50 for gas at a Shell station on Butterfield Road near his Elmhurst home in Illinois.

……
A search team with bloodhounds were put together using Cefolia’s pullover and a pair of glasses as scent for the dogs to search the woods. The bloodhounds tracked the scent south-east from where the SUV was parked but lost the scent 20 yards in and stopped, according to police reports.

……….

My thoughts now- why don’t they think he was harmed?
Full tank of gas?
$120 in trunk/back
Is he that good at hiding, hasn’t been found and is deceased or was somebody angry with him?
Seems like another good case for a geofence warrant to me.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/what-happened-to-jake-cefolia-missing-united-executive-case-still-unsolved-one-year-later/2580419
….
But the last purchase Cefolia ever made on his Chase credit card was $59.50 for gas at a Shell station on Butterfield Road near his Elmhurst home in Illinois.

……
A search team with bloodhounds were put together using Cefolia’s pullover and a pair of glasses as scent for the dogs to search the woods. The bloodhounds tracked the scent south-east from where the SUV was parked but lost the scent 20 yards in and stopped, according to police reports.

……….

My thoughts now- why don’t they think he was harmed?
Full tank of gas?
$120 in trunk/back
Is he that good at hiding, hasn’t been found and is deceased or was somebody angry with him?
Seems like another good case for a geofence warrant to me.

JMO, if the scent ended 20 yards in, what happened? They searched the area and didn't find his body. If the dogs were able to track his scent, and it sounds like they were able, it sounds like he backtracked to the parking lot, got into another vehicle and left. I'm not an expert in this field, but from following other cases, a scent disappears when someone goes into water, gets into an automobile or is removed from the scene in some other way. Humans don't suddenly stop leaving a scent trail.

It looks like they searched the entire area, as well as nearby DuPage River.

Search for Missing United Executive Shifts Deeper Into Suburban Chicago Woods

If he staged a disappearance, he might have acquired a "burner" phone, walked down the preserve trail, called an accomplice or rideshare/cab, then walked back out the same way he entered, got into the other vehicle and left.

The only other option is that he died at the forest preserve and they've been unable to find his body. It doesn't look like there's any big body of water along the trail where his scent disappeared so, if he went into the woods or nearby field to commit suicide, the dogs would have picked up his scent when they followed it down the trail.

JMO

Regarding the possibility of him being harmed, its a valid question. If he had been harmed, though, wouldn't there be a sign of struggle? His car, money, etc. were still there. Kidnapping? Also possible. The other factors leading up to his disappearance still lean towards a planned disappearance, but foul play can't be ruled out.

LE has probably talked to the party behind the investigation that spurred the search warrant at his home, so they would know if there's a risk of someone wanting to harm him.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler