Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

I don't consider examining the relationship between CBD and JD, only remembering her words in regard to his constant requests for money. Other posters have already commented on the fact if their own children pestered them for money the way JD did, there would be no complimentary analysis of the behavior.

Thank you. She characterized it as endearing, while most of us would not. I would call it atypical. And not just the money calls, but to call numerous times a day as well with no regard even for when she was at work. So, what boundaries were there? I suggest one would be the silencing of talk of suicide. He tells her about such a small thing as the med clinic but the big thing is taboo. Hellfire and damnation.

What a lot of pressure to keep family reassured, image intact & handle dozens of demands.

Last edited:
Although JD may well have had an undiagnosed (or at least unrevealed) mental illness, there is little evidence of that in the information available to us.

We all have theories of what likely happened, but mine, like many others, is based on a lot of assumptions which are most likely incorrect.

We know little to nothing about his friends or his grades. We don't know if he enjoyed school. His traffic history is worrisome, especially driving with a suspended license, but doesn't really have a criminal history. Other than anecdotes from his mother, a few speeding tickets and a trip to a dispensary, he seems to be an invisible man.

Just because something is a natural substance doesn't mean it has benign properties. Opium is natural, so is ricin and belladonna. Too many noxious and deadly plants to list.
I think the the OP's post was in the context of the consequences of injesting a chemical to hinder the injestor's opportunities. So the OP was not suggesting death by chemical. There's a difference. I was suggesting that THC has propeties that can aid in pain management so the consequences of injesting the THC is not a hinderence to opportunities as was suggested by the OP. MOO.

You are correct, insofar as it does help with pain management. However, the affects between CBD and THC can be quite different. Just like alcohol can exacerbate depression and other psychiatric conditions so can THC.

Anyone who self medicates with weed should be aware of the side effects. If you've been smoking it since you were a teen it's highly unlikely that the user weighed the pros and cons of its use. Here's a cheat sheet for difference between the two.

What’s the Difference Between CBD vs. THC?

Scroll down to the comparison list.
In earlier posts I covered the difference between CBD and THC.

Just because something is a natural substance doesn't mean it has benign properties. Opium is natural, so is ricin and belladonna. Too many noxious and deadly plants to list.

My neighbor recently completed his autologous stem cell transplant in Portland, Oregon. He used Marinol (dronabinol), a synthetic form of marijuana for appetite and nausea, along with prescribed drugs while in the hospital.

He was cautioned against smoking marijuana after he was released because of the possibility of fungal infection, and also had to sign a release from his medical insurance provider prohibiting any use of non-medical cannabis or alcohol while in the hospital and during recovery at home.

I think it's a no-brainer for most recipients to not want to jeopardize their medical coverage -- I know it is for my friend! The last thing you want to worry about is giving your carrier any sort of reason to deny coverage.

Oregon is both a medical and recreational marijuana state, so using synthetic marijuana to help with appetite is not an issue. He's never been a user so it's not going to be an issue for him to end his use after recovery.

I am confused. His toxicology showed cannabis which does contain THC.

I did not cherry pick that scientific/medical study. I am sure I could find dozens more at a minimum.

It is neither safe nor wise to use in conjunction with a mental illness. Not just the bipolar disorder, which I have identified as being very likely but also all the common other ones...depression, anxiety disorders, and more rare and severe ones such as schizophrenia and manic depression (bipolar)

Manic depression often has psychotic features as well, both during the highs and the depression, but more floridly seen in the manic phases.

Symptomology of bipolar:
The manic phase is characterized by:

grandiosity is usually in this list. And it often causes a belief that one is an important religious character with a destiny. or a historical person.
  • Extreme happiness, hopefulness, and excitement
  • Irritability, anger, fits of rage and hostile behavior
  • Restlessness
  • Agitation
  • Rapid speech
  • Poor concentration and judgment
  • Increased energy
  • Less need for sleep
  • Unusually high sex drive
  • Setting unrealistic goals
  • Paranoia
The depressive phase may include:
  • Sadness and crying
  • Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, and guilt
  • Loss of energy
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in everyday activities
  • Trouble concentrating and making decisions
  • Irritability
  • Need for more sleep or sleeplessness
  • Change in appetite
  • Weight loss/gain
  • Suicidal thoughts and attempts at suicide
This doesn't cover everything. It is simply a list from the DSM, used as a basic checklist.

It does not cover mixed episodes which are the most dangerous.

Last edited:
Symptoms - Psychosis
Someone who develops psychosis will have their own unique set of symptoms and experiences, according to their particular circumstances.

But in general, 3 main symptoms are associated with a psychotic episode:

• hallucinations
  • delusions
  • confused and disturbed thoughts
Hallucinations
Hallucinations are where someone sees, hears, smells, tastes or feels things that do not exist outside their mind.

• sight – seeing colours, shapes or people
  • sounds – hearing voices or other sounds
  • touch – feeling touched when there is nobody there
  • smell – an odour that other people cannot smell
  • taste – a taste when there is nothing in the mouth
Delusions
A delusion is where a person has an unshakeable belief in something untrue.

A person with persecutory delusions may believe an individual or organisation is making plans to hurt or kill them.

A person with grandiose delusions may believe they have power or authority. For example, they may think they're the president of a country or they have the power to bring people back from the dead.

People who have psychotic episodes are often unaware that their delusions or hallucinations are not real, which may lead them to feel frightened or distressed.

Confused and disturbed thoughts
People with psychosis sometimes have disturbed, confused, and disrupted patterns of thought. Signs of this include:

• rapid and constant speech
  • disturbed speech – for example, they may switch from one topic to another mid-sentence
  • a sudden loss in their train of thought, resulting in an abrupt pause in conversation or activity

Weed is a hallucinogen. Incredibly common for self medicating, same as alcohol. However with certain mental illnesses, it can be risky. Today's weed has a really high THC content. Not the old school hippie stuff anymore.

The two primary major mental illnesses are manic depression and schizophrenia. With schizophrenia it can precipitate psychosis.

just to chime in here, I don't have any specific mental illness diagnosis, but a few years ago my friends had some edibles that were made with super high THC weed. Not having much experience with it I didn't know how much to take but within a few hours of eating a small amount, I was miserable. All these questions started popping up in my mind about whether I was a good daughter, whether I was doing enough to support my family while my brother was going through cancer treatment, etc And for several hours I could not get the thought of being a terrible daughter and sister out of my head. I just went around and around. The thoughts would just not stop. I recognized why but it was still difficult to get through.

I agree with your thoughts thank you for your perspective on this thread.

I was suggesting that THC has propeties that can aid in pain management so the consequences of injesting the THC is not a hinderence to opportunities as was suggested by the OP. MOO.
^^rsbm

There are major differences between the cannabinoid THC and CBD. THC produces a psychoactive effect sought by recreational users while CBD does not produce those effects.

I disagree with OP's interpretation of my post and the conclusion that a donor candidate's use of THC will be of no consequence to either the recipient or the candidate's opportunities to be a donor.

Perhaps OP is not aware that the recipient's medical health coverage typically covers the cost for both the recipient and the donor. Perhaps OP is not aware that most insurers require the recipient and donor to each consent t0 non-use of recreational marijuana (THC) or risk denial of coverage.

I don't understand why OP would promote the donor candidate's use of THC as being of no consequence when this selfish act could jeopardize the life of the recipient and be the cause of financial ruin. IMO, if one's need for THC so grand that they can't put the recipient's needs before their own, they are not a good candidate.

^^rsbm

There are major differences between the cannabinoid THC and CBD. THC produces a psychoactive effect sought by recreational users while CBD does not produce those effects.

I disagree with OP's interpretation of my post and the conclusion that a donor candidate's use of THC will be of no consequence to either the recipient or the candidate's opportunities to be a donor.

Perhaps OP is not aware that the recipient's medical health coverage typically covers the cost for both the recipient and the donor. Perhaps OP is not aware that most insurers require the recipient and donor to each consent t0 non-use of recreational marijuana (THC) or risk denial of coverage.

I don't understand why OP would promote the donor candidate's use of THC as being of no consequence when this selfish act could jeopardize the life of the recipient and be the cause of financial ruin. IMO, if one's need for THC so grand that they can't put the recipient's needs before their own, they are not a good candidate.

100%

just to chime in here, I don't have any specific mental illness diagnosis, but a few years ago my friends had some edibles that were made with super high THC weed. Not having much experience with it I didn't know how much to take but within a few hours of eating a small amount, I was miserable. All these questions started popping up in my mind about whether I was a good daughter, whether I was doing enough to support my family while my brother was going through cancer treatment, etc And for several hours I could not get the thought of being a terrible daughter and sister out of my head. I just went around and around. The thoughts would just not stop. I recognized why but it was still difficult to get through.

I agree with your thoughts thank you for your perspective on this thread.

Thanks for sharing your experience @Kittybunny. Reminds me of NYT's Maureen Dawd's experience with edibles when covering Colorado legalization in 2014:

NYT columnist Maureen Dowd thought she'd 'died' after eating pot | kgw.com

Updated: 10:55 AM PDT June 4, 2014

In Maureen Dowd's latest column for the New York Times, she describes her scary experience eating a pot candy bar while reporting on legalized marijuana in Colorado.

She sat in a Denver hotel room experimenting with the legalized edible, nibbling on some of the chocolate-flavored bar.

For an hour, I felt nothing [...] But then I felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours, Dowd said.

She goes on to explain how her paranoia deepened, saying the high wore off distressingly slowly.

I had been convinced that I had died and no one was telling me, Dowd said.

A medical consultant told Dowd later that these types of candy bars should be consumed by inexperienced users by cutting them into 16 pieces. That recommendation, she said, was not on the packaging label.

[..]

Thanks for sharing your experience @Kittybunny. Reminds me of NYT's Maureen Dawd's experience with edibles when covering Colorado legalization in 2014:

NYT columnist Maureen Dowd thought she'd 'died' after eating pot | kgw.com

Updated: 10:55 AM PDT June 4, 2014

In Maureen Dowd's latest column for the New York Times, she describes her scary experience eating a pot candy bar while reporting on legalized marijuana in Colorado.

She sat in a Denver hotel room experimenting with the legalized edible, nibbling on some of the chocolate-flavored bar.

For an hour, I felt nothing [...] But then I felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours, Dowd said.

She goes on to explain how her paranoia deepened, saying the high wore off distressingly slowly.

I had been convinced that I had died and no one was telling me, Dowd said.

A medical consultant told Dowd later that these types of candy bars should be consumed by inexperienced users by cutting them into 16 pieces. That recommendation, she said, was not on the packaging label.

[..]

Oh my goodness! Definitely sounds worse than my experience but it's good to know I'm not alone!

Back to on topic, I did not realize that Jelani was a bone marrow donor match for his sick father, this young man really had a lot on his plate.

I am confused. His toxicology showed cannabis which does contain THC.
rsbm
You made a lot of good points about mental illness. I don't want to detract from those but just want to clarify one thing. The tox test didn't detect cannabis, but actually detected delta-9 carboxy THC, a metabolite of THC. It might have come from cannabis use, but it might also have come from ingesting any number of processed products such as oils or edibles, or even marinol.
Jelani Day toxicology results released

Depression is the third leading cause of disability. Anxiety disorders are rampant. It used to be that bipolar was misdiagnosed for as much as an avg of 15 years! Schizoaffective and schizophrenia ruins lives.
Fear and stigma too often keep people from getting the help that they need.

No information cited on PPD's web page and no link to official Twitter -- only FB.

Detective Division - City of Peru Illinois 61354

City of Peru Police Department

Wednesday, Feb 9, 2022 12:23 PM·

Peru Police Detective Division is looking for surveillance video and or Ring Doorbell video on August 24th, 2021, from 10:00a – 12:30p in the 1100-1300 block of St Vincent’s St west to Chartres Street/Airport Rd. Looking for a White Chrysler 300 four door with a black top. If you have any video of this vehicle, please contact Commander Hocking at 815.224.6017 or via e-mail and dhocking@perupolice.org

City of Peru Police Department limited who can comment on this post.

[Not allowing comments so perhaps they've had a bad experience-- perhaps from family requests for supporters to make mass calls/posts to all local, state, and federal agencies].

rsbm
You made a lot of good points about mental illness. I don't want to detract from those but just want to clarify one thing. The tox test didn't detect cannabis, but actually detected delta-9 carboxy THC, a metabolite of THC. It might have come from cannabis use, but it might also have come from ingesting any number of processed products such as oils or edibles, or even marinol.
Jelani Day toxicology results released

Thank you so much! I am 63 yrs old....only been exposed to marijuana in its natural form. Never been in a dispensary. I did not know it was so complicated! so, I really appreciate the education!!!

Oh my goodness! Definitely sounds worse than my experience but it's good to know I'm not alone!

Back to on topic, I did not realize that Jelani was a bone marrow donor match for his sick father, this young man really had a lot on his plate.
Yes he did. I haven’t seen it mentioned when the bone marrow surgery was scheduled? Unless he had recently been informed of the match? How devastating. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back