IL - July 4 Parade, Highland Park, at least 6 fatally shot, 4 July 2022 *son charged, dad guilty*

I will be honest with you all here, but I am preparing myself for the next press conference. Earlier it was stated that the seventh victim who died today, did not die in Lake County ( Highland Park area), but was in Cook County. ( Chicago).

FYI, The renowned Childrens Hospital/trauma center, Comers..is in Cook County.

REVEALED: Little boy, 2, found bloodied and alone during Highland Park parade shooting is ORPHANED after both his parents were killed in massacre​

I‘m heartbroken that what I feared yesterday for little Aiden has happened and he has lost both parents. May his Mum and Dad Irina McCarthy and Kevin McCarthy Rest In Peace.

You can't arrest someone for painting strange paintings or posting weird things on the internet. You can't arrest someone for threatening suicide.

Right but I’m referring to the knives that were confiscated. Those are weapons in the hands of an unstable person. Whoever he was handed over to should have scoured his SM and had him on some type of watch list.

In cases like this, I think after finding weapons on a person who has made threats there has to be some sort of checkpoint to buying other weapons.

All the factors are there, so easy to see with hindsight, but no one close to him paid enough attention. It doesn't take an FBI profiler to know the pattern of these cases anymore. It always comes back to coulda, woulda, shoulda. Too late.

In the cases I've read about where the attack is prevented, they usually come down to a person close to the perp or just very alert providing solid information to LE at the right time.

here is one case where a dad tipped off the fbi about his son and prevented an attack. Interestingly, the kid was arrested on July 4th, 2015. Father of Adams man tipped off FBI on son's terror leanings - The Boston Globe

Right but I’m referring to the knives that were confiscated. Those are weapons in the hands of an unstable person. Whoever he was handed over to should have scoured his SM and had him on some type of watch list.

In cases like this, I think after finding weapons on a person who has made threats there has to be some sort of checkpoint to buying other weapons.
But those incidents were in 2019 - three years ago. Should they have kept up with what he was doing? Probably. Did they? Obviously not. He didn't buy the guns until 2020 and 2021.

Press conference on now. Lake County, IL State's attorney is talking, Eric Rinehart . I'm watching on CNN

Still an open and active investigation. Please continue to contact the tip line with any information.

Offering support services to everyone, community coming together

Charged with 7 counts first degree murder
These are just the first, there will be more. Dozens more charges, each centered around each victim, aggravated murder,etc
Each of the 7 counts of murder will result in life sentences

Asking judge to hold Crimo w/o bail

"All of the people who died lost their freedom. Their freedom matters too. Illinois has a strong red flag law, need to increase awareness of this tool. Allows temporary removal of guns from individual and prohibits purchase of new weapons." (paraphrasing quote)

"We should also ban assault weapons in IL. It was implemented in 1994, with the support of law enforcement. In place for 10 years." He wants same ban in IL. (paraphrasing the county state's attorney)

Victims services will continue to help, the investigation continues, will seek justice in the court room.

Now US Attorney for northern district of IL is speaking. Thanking everyone, first responders, etc. USA, FBI, ATF have been working closely with local LE, will continue to do this. These state murder charges appropriate at this time. Will deploy federal resources to help.

Chief of Highland Park PD now speaking . Lou Jogmen. Thanking everyone for their help. City, fire dept., first responders, everyone else. Family assistance at Highland Park High School. Personal effects left at the scene will be available to return to owners tomorrow.

State's attorney explaining red flag law. He doesn't know, IL state police in charge of that process. Law was passed in 2019.

Local LE are still not sure why he left his weapon on the street after the shooting. Still investigating.
Investigating why he went on a drive after the shooting. Still investigating. Still an ongoing investigation, don't read anything into charges filed so far. No comment on whether any federal charges should be filed.

Local LE stating in 2019, they removed all the weapons at that time.

Magazines held approximately 30 rounds of ammo

Last edited:
Presser on:
He will be charged with 7 counts of first degree murder - with dozens more to come later.

He will be arraigned tomorrow - without bail

Mandatory life sentence without parole.

Case is still active and on-going investigation.

US Attorney:
FBI an ATF are working closely with local LE

Highland Park Police Chief:
Horrific and absolutely senseless act of violence.

Lake County Deputy Chief:
Will open a family assistance center tomorrow.

Questions:
State attorney - would the "threat to kill" incident been covered under red flag laws? A: goes on a case by case basis.

Theories on the table about why he left the weapon behind.

Why did he go to Madison? Investigators are still looking at that - not something I'm going to get into right now.

Won't comment about whether or not there will be federal charges.

He bought one rifle before he was 21 - was asked about having an adult sponsor to buy - wouldn't comment about it.

Investigators have spoken to family - won't speak to their level of cooperation.

Magazines were 30 round mags.

That's it.

I'm unmoved by the statement. Sometimes it's better to just say nothing. MOO

Also, here is a report about the police interaction with his mother, from CBS Chicago. I think this may be a hint of why he got no help. Again, jmo.

He did get help, according to news stories about his threat to commit suicide. He was referred for mental health counseling. Per Covelli's response in the press conference. He said LE followed up a week later to check with him and his parents. He was getting mental health services then (in 2019).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back