IL - July 4 Parade, Highland Park, at least 6 fatally shot, 4 July 2022 *son charged, dad guilty*

As well, many parents don't know where to turn when there is a crisis within their own home. Particularly when their child is over 18.
Both laws and community resources need to be addressed in the wake of this and many other tragedies.

JMO
True. But as I think about it, how many parents would supply an underage gun buying permission slip to a child that had made suicide attempts and made threats and had threatened to kill to others.

As well, many parents don't know where to turn when there is a crisis within their own home. Particularly when their child is over 18.

True. But as I think about it, how many parents would supply an underage gun buying permission slip to a child that had made suicide attempts and made threats and had threatened to kill to others.
More than you think. Just look at what the Crumbley's did. Look at what Lanza's mom did.

It seems like there are more dysfunctional families out there then we really think there are. People are strange and even stranger when it comes to their kids.

Welcome to the brave new world.

JMHO

I agree it is one thing to passively ignore your child's deviate behavior.

IMO, it is quite another to actively enable his sociopathic behavior by sponsoring him for an FOID card.

His dad (FOID sponsor) has claimed innocence, but yet he has also hired R. Kelly's defence attorney....

JMO

I have looked all over and not been able to find this information either. I know it was out there a day or two ago.
From memory, BCIII purchased five weapons after he obtained his FOI card. Two high powered rifles, two hand guns and maybe another rifle. I believe they were purchased around 2021, all legally, but I can't verify it until I can find some of the older articles.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm going to keep looking

JMO

Here is some info. On gun purchases.

Police records paint picture of turbulent home life for alleged sniper in Highland Park mass shooting

Pesina pleaded guilty to driving under the influence in Lake County in 2012. In 2002, Pesina pleaded guilty to a child endangerment charge after leaving Crimo III, then about 2 years old, alone in a car with the windows rolled up for 27 minutes in the parking lot of a toy store, according to court records. It was approximately 79 degrees outside during that incident.

My ex gave our son a rifle for his 15th birthday. And our daughter a handgun when she turned 18. Along with gun safety classes, and concealed carry permit classes for both kids.

So, it is not uncommon for parents to give guns as gifts to kids.

Both laws and community resources need to be addressed in the wake of this and many other tragedies.

JMO
My experience with obtaining mental health care for my daughter.

When my middle daughter was 15/16 (diagnosed with ADHD age 6), she started exhibiting aggressive,impulsive, risky behavior. Luckily, I had been on medical leave from work for several months and was able to "notice" the change in her behavior - I often wonder if I would have noticed had I still been working 40 to 50 hours a week and keeping up with the usual activities of raising 5 children. She was already seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist for her ADHD and I documented the behavior to them. Their first assumptions - and mine was she was being a rebellious teenager heightened by the ADHD with mild depression from moving across the country from a big city to a rural small town a year prior.

When she was 16 1/2 she had her first suicide attempt. She was admitted to the behavioral health floor of the hospital for a 72 hour hold. Her psychiatrist and therapist were just down the hall behind the locked door to the clinic. They were not allowed to treat her during her stay on the ward because they were not the team on call when she was admitted and could not discuss her behavior or treatment with me while she was under the care of the on-call Doctor. I had no idea what the next step was when she was discharged - how do I keep her safe, etc. I asked nurses, the on-call Doctor and they all said I would have to discuss this with her primary psychiatrist and therapist at her next appointment. There were no pamplets or books anywhere on the ward about teenage suicide, depression - nothing.

She was discharged and over the next year she had several suicide attempts and an increase in risky, agressive behavior and depression. She was diagnosed with ultra rapid cycling Bipolar Disorder. Several different medications were tried to stabilize her moods - there were serious side effects with most of them - double vision, distorted speech, digestive issues,lactating or more extreme mania and depression. One severe reaction to a medication caused her moods to change at a very, very rapid pace. In 15 minutes, I watched her switch multiple times between anger, crying jags, hysterical laughing, moments of clarity of having no control over her mood,being emotionless, almost trance-like - over and over and over. She was often belligerent at school and I would have to go pick her up. She was very aggressive with me - no physical contact but she would block my path down the hallway and threaten to destroy furniture in the house or threaten her younger sister. One of the many suggestions her psychiatrist made to me was to let the police deal with her when she became aggressive and threatening, in part because when she turned 18 it would be easier for her to get mental health care rather than jail if there was already a police record of her having mental health issues. On 2 separate occasions, she became belligerent and aggressive at school, the school called me and I refused to pick her up and told them to call the police per Dr instructions - instead they brought her home and shortly after I would have to call the police due to her aggression and she would be admitted for 72 hours.

This experience was like being on a never ending loop of stress, mental exhaustion and fear she would hurt herself or others. If I had still been working I seriously doubt I would have been able to follow up with the suggestions and coping strategies made by her Dr and therapist. I needed to be on high alert 24/7 for over a year. On Top of the Bipolar symptoms she was also very angry at me because I could not "fix" her.

Fortunately for us and due to her many hospital stays in such a short period of time, our insurance appointed a representative over her case to review her files to see if there were any available treatment avenues to stabilize her before she turned 18 when we would no longer be able to make sure she received mental health care. The Representative suggested admitting her to a Behavioral Residential Treatment Center for 3 months - 10 hours away. Her psychiatrist and therapist agreed this was the only option we had to try to help her by placing her in a structured environment to stabilize her medications and to educate her on her responsibilities toward her mental health care. When we left her at the facility it was quite simply the hardest thing I have ever done. She turned 18 a month after leaving the Treatment Center.

Once your child turns 18 - you will not be informed of their medical treatment and cannot force them to go to appointments or take their meds and law enforcement cannot do anything unless they have proof your adult child is a danger to themselves or others. When she was around 21, she had a bad reaction to a new medication. She called me to tell me her car had been stolen and replaced with one exactly like hers by people wanting to plant drugs in her car. It did not matter that her key fit the ignition and would start the "replacement" car. It did not matter that all her belongings were in the "replacement" car - she was adamant her car had been stolen and replaced with an identical car. I tried convincing her otherwise but she didn't believe me and she said she was going to the police to file a stolen car report. Thirty minutes later the police called me and explained she was there and why, I told them I was aware of her claims and mentioned she had Bipolar Disorder. The officer said that while she obviously has a false idea about her car, she was not a threat to herself or others and she had a friend with her so there was nothing they could do. I told them I understood. An hour later she arrived at my house and proceeded to take the dashboard and door panels apart to find the "drugs". She realized it was indeed her car when she took out the backseat and found her necklace. Her reasoning was that the people she thought had stolen her car and replaced it with an identical one would not go to the trouble of putting her necklace under the backseat. She put her car back together and she was stable again.

She still had some rough and very risky times after turning 18 but she did not have any more suicide attempts, she never missed a psychatrist or therapist appointment, and she managed her mental health care very well. Her psychiatrist had told me that there was a chance her Bipolar Disorder would stabilize when her brain matured around age 25 and fortunately her moods did become somewhat more stable.

Today she is 35 yrs old, has been married for 6 years and is an excellent mother to my autistic 4 yr old granddaughter. Her husband is military and she has lived in 3 different locations in 6 years. Every new doctor she has seen in the last 6 years wants to change her diagnosis to Borderline Personality Disorder and ADHD after her first appointment based on what she remembers about her early mental health history which is very little and an 18 month period 5 years ago when she was very paranoid while on Buspar about the safety of her daughter from kidnapping, etc. A month after stopping Buspar the paranoia disappeared. They do not request the records from her former psychiatrist of 14 years, she has tried to give each of them medical records from those 14 years and they dismiss them and they will not accept any written statements from me. The only symptoms she has on the Borderline checklist are the symptoms that are also on the checklist for Bipolar Disorder. She does not have a fear of abandonment, she does not have an addiction problem, she does not have an eating disorder or poor self image, and she has a long history of strong, stable relationships with myself, her husband, her siblings, and long term friends and relatives. While living 2,000 miles away from family, she successfully managed taking care of her daughter and the household during the beginning of the Covid shutdown while her husband was on a 6 month deployment. Besides wanting to change her diagnosis, the new doctors all want to switch her medication around despite her present medication working well for her without side effects. I don't understand what motivates them to want to change a well documented 20 year diagnosis and the effective medications but it happens every time she sees a new doctor.

I apologize for my long post but I wanted to demonstrate that even with great insurance and the free time for a parent to pursue mental health care for their child that the process is frustrating and oftentimes unproductive and my daughter could have easily become a hostage to her mental health issues . We were very fortunate to have good insurance and a proactive advocate for her with our insurance company. We were very fortunate that I was not working during her teenage years and was able to be present enough to recognize something was off with her moods and for me to have the free time to take her to every appointment and the free time to advocate for her at school - most teens needing mental health care are not that fortunate. If I had not been home to witness her ever changing moods, if she had not had frequent appointments with the same psychiatrist and therapist for months and they got to know her and recognize the change in her moods - she may very well have remained to be seen as just a mildly depressed, rebellious teenager with ADHD and became another often disparged victim of societies views on teens and young adults like her.

"Eight-year-old boy may never walk again after being shot in the chest during July 4 parade massacre while his mother was shot in the leg and his brother hit by shrapnel, family reveals".

"Dr. David Baum, a long time obstetrician in Highland Park, was attending the parade with his wife and children to watch his two-year-old grandson participate. When the shots rang out and others fled, he ran into the fray to try to help the victims.

In an interview with CNN, Dr. Baum described seeing victims with 'wartime' and 'unspeakable' injuries."

Last edited:

IMO, it is quite another to actively enable his sociopathic behavior by sponsoring him for an FOID card.

His dad (FOID sponsor) has claimed innocence, but yet he has also hired R. Kelly's defence attorney....

JMO
Hopefully this attorney is as "successful" as with R. Kelly. R. Kelly got 30 years in prison ....

When my middle daughter was 15/16 (diagnosed with ADHD age 6), she started exhibiting aggressive,impulsive, risky behavior. Luckily, I had been on medical leave from work for several months and was able to "notice" the change in her behavior - I often wonder if I would have noticed had I still been working 40 to 50 hours a week and keeping up with the usual activities of raising 5 children. She was already seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist for her ADHD and I documented the behavior to them. Their first assumptions - and mine was she was being a rebellious teenager heightened by the ADHD with mild depression from moving across the country from a big city to a rural small town a year prior.

When she was 16 1/2 she had her first suicide attempt. She was admitted to the behavioral health floor of the hospital for a 72 hour hold. Her psychiatrist and therapist were just down the hall behind the locked door to the clinic. They were not allowed to treat her during her stay on the ward because they were not the team on call when she was admitted and could not discuss her behavior or treatment with me while she was under the care of the on-call Doctor. I had no idea what the next step was when she was discharged - how do I keep her safe, etc. I asked nurses, the on-call Doctor and they all said I would have to discuss this with her primary psychiatrist and therapist at her next appointment. There were no pamplets or books anywhere on the ward about teenage suicide, depression - nothing.

She was discharged and over the next year she had several suicide attempts and an increase in risky, agressive behavior and depression. She was diagnosed with ultra rapid cycling Bipolar Disorder. Several different medications were tried to stabilize her moods - there were serious side effects with most of them - double vision, distorted speech, digestive issues,lactating or more extreme mania and depression. One severe reaction to a medication caused her moods to change at a very, very rapid pace. In 15 minutes, I watched her switch multiple times between anger, crying jags, hysterical laughing, moments of clarity of having no control over her mood,being emotionless, almost trance-like - over and over and over. She was often belligerent at school and I would have to go pick her up. She was very aggressive with me - no physical contact but she would block my path down the hallway and threaten to destroy furniture in the house or threaten her younger sister. One of the many suggestions her psychiatrist made to me was to let the police deal with her when she became aggressive and threatening, in part because when she turned 18 it would be easier for her to get mental health care rather than jail if there was already a police record of her having mental health issues. On 2 separate occasions, she became belligerent and aggressive at school, the school called me and I refused to pick her up and told them to call the police per Dr instructions - instead they brought her home and shortly after I would have to call the police due to her aggression and she would be admitted for 72 hours.

This experience was like being on a never ending loop of stress, mental exhaustion and fear she would hurt herself or others. If I had still been working I seriously doubt I would have been able to follow up with the suggestions and coping strategies made by her Dr and therapist. I needed to be on high alert 24/7 for over a year. On Top of the Bipolar symptoms she was also very angry at me because I could not "fix" her.

Fortunately for us and due to her many hospital stays in such a short period of time, our insurance appointed a representative over her case to review her files to see if there were any available treatment avenues to stabilize her before she turned 18 when we would no longer be able to make sure she received mental health care. The Representative suggested admitting her to a Behavioral Residential Treatment Center for 3 months - 10 hours away. Her psychiatrist and therapist agreed this was the only option we had to try to help her by placing her in a structured environment to stabilize her medications and to educate her on her responsibilities toward her mental health care. When we left her at the facility it was quite simply the hardest thing I have ever done. She turned 18 a month after leaving the Treatment Center.

Once your child turns 18 - you will not be informed of their medical treatment and cannot force them to go to appointments or take their meds and law enforcement cannot do anything unless they have proof your adult child is a danger to themselves or others. When she was around 21, she had a bad reaction to a new medication. She called me to tell me her car had been stolen and replaced with one exactly like hers by people wanting to plant drugs in her car. It did not matter that her key fit the ignition and would start the "replacement" car. It did not matter that all her belongings were in the "replacement" car - she was adamant her car had been stolen and replaced with an identical car. I tried convincing her otherwise but she didn't believe me and she said she was going to the police to file a stolen car report. Thirty minutes later the police called me and explained she was there and why, I told them I was aware of her claims and mentioned she had Bipolar Disorder. The officer said that while she obviously has a false idea about her car, she was not a threat to herself or others and she had a friend with her so there was nothing they could do. I told them I understood. An hour later she arrived at my house and proceeded to take the dashboard and door panels apart to find the "drugs". She realized it was indeed her car when she took out the backseat and found her necklace. Her reasoning was that the people she thought had stolen her car and replaced it with an identical one would not go to the trouble of putting her necklace under the backseat. She put her car back together and she was stable again.

She still had some rough and very risky times after turning 18 but she did not have any more suicide attempts, she never missed a psychatrist or therapist appointment, and she managed her mental health care very well. Her psychiatrist had told me that there was a chance her Bipolar Disorder would stabilize when her brain matured around age 25 and fortunately her moods did become somewhat more stable.

Today she is 35 yrs old, has been married for 6 years and is an excellent mother to my autistic 4 yr old granddaughter. Her husband is military and she has lived in 3 different locations in 6 years. Every new doctor she has seen in the last 6 years wants to change her diagnosis to Borderline Personality Disorder and ADHD after her first appointment based on what she remembers about her early mental health history which is very little and an 18 month period 5 years ago when she was very paranoid while on Buspar about the safety of her daughter from kidnapping, etc. A month after stopping Buspar the paranoia disappeared. They do not request the records from her former psychiatrist of 14 years, she has tried to give each of them medical records from those 14 years and they dismiss them and they will not accept any written statements from me. The only symptoms she has on the Borderline checklist are the symptoms that are also on the checklist for Bipolar Disorder. She does not have a fear of abandonment, she does not have an addiction problem, she does not have an eating disorder or poor self image, and she has a long history of strong, stable relationships with myself, her husband, her siblings, and long term friends and relatives. While living 2,000 miles away from family, she successfully managed taking care of her daughter and the household during the beginning of the Covid shutdown while her husband was on a 6 month deployment. Besides wanting to change her diagnosis, the new doctors all want to switch her medication around despite her present medication working well for her without side effects. I don't understand what motivates them to want to change a well documented 20 year diagnosis and the effective medications but it happens every time she sees a new doctor.

I apologize for my long post but I wanted to demonstrate that even with great insurance and the free time for a parent to pursue mental health care for their child that the process is frustrating and oftentimes unproductive and my daughter could have easily become a hostage to her mental health issues . We were very fortunate to have good insurance and a proactive advocate for her with our insurance company. We were very fortunate that I was not working during her teenage years and was able to be present enough to recognize something was off with her moods and for me to have the free time to take her to every appointment and the free time to advocate for her at school - most teens needing mental health care are not that fortunate. If I had not been home to witness her ever changing moods, if she had not had frequent appointments with the same psychiatrist and therapist for months and they got to know her and recognize the change in her moods - she may very well have remained to be seen as just a mildly depressed, rebellious teenager with ADHD and became another often disparged victim of societies views on teens and young adults like her.

Thank you for sharing this! I felt your love, your pain, and your struggles with the mental health system we have. I cannot imagine, and also can see how exhausting it must have been for you. Thankfully your daughter has you in her life!

Hopefully this attorney is as "successful" as with R. Kelly. R. Kelly got 30 years in prison ....
Seems he's not their attorney anymore.

From atrticle:
It's unclear what, if any, criminal culpability could fall on the suspect's dad.

A lawyer for the suspect's parents said Thursday that he's no longer representing them, citing an undisclosed conflict.

"I remain hopeful that at some point this terrible tragedy will result in meaningful change," attorney Steve Greenberg said in a statement.

Wonder what the undisclosed conflict is - maybe it's just money - cause we know mom & dad really don't have any.

JMHO

Here's another one:

From the article:

Crimo Jr. told The Post he was “furious” in the aftermath of the July Fourth massacre.
“I want a long sentence,” he said while noting consequences for his son’s actions.
“He made a choice,” Crimo Jr. continued. “He didn’t have to do that. I think there’s mental illness there, obviously. … I didn’t see a lot of it.”
Crimo Jr. had hired one of R. Kelly’s attorneys to fight claims he helped his son buy guns, but Steven Greenberg announced on Twitter late Thursday he was no longer representing him and wife Denise Pesina — citing an unspecified conflict.
The couple’s new attorney, George Gomez, downplayed the possibility of criminal charges being filed against them when reached by The Post early Friday.
“At this moment, we’re not concerned about any type of criminal charges,” Gomez said during a brief interview. “The family is cooperating with local and federal authorities.”

So he was furious and wants a long sentence. Seriously this man needs to shut up. Just shut up. Maybe that's why the attorney backed out - he told him "shut it - shut it NOW" and dad just wants to keep talking. Maybe he likes the sound of his voice - IDK.

Article is good and lays out the hows/whys they might be able to pursue charges against dad.

JMHO

Here is some info on the gun purchases.

JMO
in this case the parents, like the Crumbly’s are far from what most think of as ideal parents. And that is going to happen in society, has always happened. The added theme here is the capability to murders so many and effectively get back at society.
MOO MH people as a pop don’t murder any more frequently than non MH people. Many actually commit suicide if they start having homicidal thoughts in an act of grace to those who were spared.
This murderer seem to constantly indulge in cruelty dark imagery and a fantasy about his “destiny.”

"Police were also called to his family's home 10 times, to reports of domestic violence. Those incidents included Denise Pesina allegedly attacking her husband with a screwdriver and shoe after he berated her looks.

The report details nine instances cops were called to the Crimo family home in Highwood between 2010 and 2014, often to address physical disputes between the youth's mother and father, Robert Crimo Jr. and Denise Pesina.

During one drunken altercation in August 2010, Crimo Jr. told police responding to a domestic abuse call that Pesina had struck him in the head with her shoe.

Crimo Jr. - who unsuccessfully ran for Mayor in Highland Park in 2019 - reportedly told officers that his relationship with Pesina was 'failing,' and that she was intoxicated.

Pesina, meanwhile, told police that Crimo Jr. had 'disrespected and belittled' her by making disparaging remarks about her appearance. She said those comments spurred her to drink.

In October 2010, police recorded another incident were they were called to the home because of a reported fight between Pesina and Crimo Jr.
The encounter saw Pesina hit Crimo Jr. with a screwdriver, the aspiring statesman told police. He added that his wife had been 'trash talking' him, knocked all his belongings off his dresser, before bludgeoning him with the backside of the tool.

Pesina argued that Crimo Jr. had been 'making mean statements to me like always, calling me names.'

Well, after all of this, did we really expect to see a "Leave it to Beaver" family?

I bet the local LE (who have been on the job for a while) have a lot of "stories" about this family and calls they have responded to over the years............just sayin'.................

And, the funny thing is, they still haven't divorced. I've noticed in all the reports about them - they still keep calling her "his wife" - so they still must be married. Go figger.........................

JMHO

Well, after all of this, did we really expect to see a "Leave it to Beaver" family?

I bet the local LE (who have been on the job for a while) have a lot of "stories" about this family and calls they have responded to over the years............just sayin'.................

And, the funny thing is, they still haven't divorced. I've noticed in all the reports about them - they still keep calling her "his wife" - so they still must be married. Go figger.........................

JMHO
Well, they obviously love to hate each other.

But the kids were living in this "eye of the cyclone".

Here's another one:

From the article:

Crimo Jr. told The Post he was “furious” in the aftermath of the July Fourth massacre.
“I want a long sentence,” he said while noting consequences for his son’s actions.
“He made a choice,” Crimo Jr. continued. “He didn’t have to do that. I think there’s mental illness there, obviously. … I didn’t see a lot of it.”
Crimo Jr. had hired one of R. Kelly’s attorneys to fight claims he helped his son buy guns, but Steven Greenberg announced on Twitter late Thursday he was no longer representing him and wife Denise Pesina — citing an unspecified conflict.
The couple’s new attorney, George Gomez, downplayed the possibility of criminal charges being filed against them when reached by The Post early Friday.
“At this moment, we’re not concerned about any type of criminal charges,” Gomez said during a brief interview. “The family is cooperating with local and federal authorities.”

So he was furious and wants a long sentence. Seriously this man needs to shut up. Just shut up. Maybe that's why the attorney backed out - he told him "shut it - shut it NOW" and dad just wants to keep talking. Maybe he likes the sound of his voice - IDK.

Article is good and lays out the hows/whys they might be able to pursue charges against dad.

JMHO
He didn’t see a lot of it?

The deli (Bob’s Pantry and Deli is on FB) closed around 4 years ago. So he should have had plenty of time to observe the shed, the multiple large disturbing paintings on the side of the house, check out your unemployed son’s social media page, etc.
JMO

Bless your heart @escape2sc for having to go thru that with your daughter! I agree with everything you’ve said and feel your pain because I’ve had similar experiences with my mother. Her official diagnosis is Bipolar 1 but she exhibited some symptoms of rapid cycling during her last major episode, and it was incredibly heartbreaking to watch her go thru that. Thankfully, she’s med compliant and understands the importance of seeing her doctor regularly — so she’s only had a handful of major episodes (almost all of which were manic) with the last having occurred in 2014. But I think few understand how closely they must be watched. My mom bolted from the house one day when my dad was in the bathroom for less than five minutes. We spent hours looking for her and the police ended up bringing her home. She had walked to a nearby driving range and someone recognized she wasn’t well when they saw her wandering around the greens and called the police. While illness requires patience and dogged determination to control… it can be controlled. Your daughter and my mother are proof of that.

Unfortunately, there are far too many who lack the patience and/or resources needed for the medication merry-go-round (to find what works for them) and the costly hospital stays and frequent medical appointments. Or they simply lack the support to overcome their illness, altogether.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back