IL - Katie McCarron, 3, autistic, murdered, Morton, 13 May 2006

Oh YAY! I'll tell hubby. I didn't realize it was a stage. I hope that's the case anyway. Thanks. (Are the poo parties a stage?!) Wrong thread. Sorry.

I had to laugh at your poo party comment! My boys would paint the walls! I had to replace so many things...but we managed to survive and laugh about it!

She did treat her badly, testimony about how she never hugged her or kissed her and how the father had taken Katie to a treatment facility for many months leaving her with the other child. She felt her life would be perfect without this imperfect child.

I have a daughter with autism. She doesn't let us hug and kiss her. We try but she doesn't like it. I can't imagine life without her! She drives us crazy...but we're keeping her!

What an adorable little girl, OMG, this is heartbreaking.

http://www.kevinleitch.co.uk/wp/index.php?p=380
Katie's Grandpa say's a few words....
here's a link that says the mother wasn't even "living" with autism for 20 months.. http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/2006/05/why_the_autism_.html

Thank you for these links. I had not seen a picture of Katie, she was adorable, just beautiful little girl. I was glad to see in the link how the grandfather described she loved to be hugged and kissed and did so back to them. I know some kids with autism do not like the stimulation but Katie obviously did, which makes the testimony about the mother not showing her affection very valid in building a motive.

No......... however i don't belive she was thinking correctly, possibly depressed, possibly other mental health issues that MAY have been exaserbated by the toll of Autism on the family. Does this make her a cold blooded killer, NO does this make her another victim of Autism YES.

I just wanted to say that I do understand your point of view, yes she may have been mentally ill. At first, I thought she had to be to do this but like I said before, as the trial unfolds, it is not looking so good for her. She tried to cover it up. She told many people how she felt about the autism. She never brought up the points, of the accomplishments, the good in her daughter. If they have some testimony to the contrary, I may feel differently. Do I think she should be sentenced to death, no but I do not think it should go unpunished.

imthemom, are you able to watch the trial somewhere? I'd love to hear more.

Steve Huff did write about this case when it first happened, but he may have lost the entry in a 'crash'. :( I believe we had a lot of good information about McCarron back then that was found on the internet and was hoping to read some of the old information.

Anyway, thanks for the scoop, imthemom.

imthemom, are you able to watch the trial somewhere? I'd love to hear more.

Steve Huff did write about this case when it first happened, but he may have lost the entry in a 'crash'. :( I believe we had a lot of good information about McCarron back then that was found on the internet and was hoping to read some of the old information.

Anyway, thanks for the scoop, imthemom.

http://www.week.com/news/local/13769027.html

http://www.pjstar.com/php/index.php...st_testifies_mccarron_was_severely_depressed/

Hi taxi, not sure about any old stuff, I will check on it but here are a couple updates from today's local news. The first link also has a video.

http://www.week.com/news/local/13769027.html

http://www.pjstar.com/php/index.php...st_testifies_mccarron_was_severely_depressed/

Hi taxi, not sure about any old stuff, I will check on it but here are a couple updates from today's local news. The first link also has a video.

From the article:

He says McCarron's comment quote "I thought I could fix autism", shows she was psychotic and out of touch with reality.

I don't see how that statement show psychosis. I think all parents who have children with disabilities have hope that they can "fix" their problems.

Oh YAY! I'll tell hubby. I didn't realize it was a stage. I hope that's the case anyway. Thanks. (Are the poo parties a stage?!) Wrong thread. Sorry.

YES, YES, YES it is a stage, and it will eventually stop as long as you keep her "regular"~!

This is the first I've heard on this case. Being a mother of a 15 year old, (severely autistic at age 3) to a high functioning (but still clearly autistic) handsome bright young man, I am in severe shock.

It's hard...very hard. We live in the middle of nowhere, and had no relatives in 100's of miles to help...just to get away for a few hours, (once a year at the most) we had to hire 2 to 3 babysitters at a time trained in CRP, Poop and puke clean-up, and dodge (the) ball, (or any other throwable object)...but we made it one day at a time.

This woman reminds me of another mother of a 3 year old who has been missing for eight month from Portugal...:furious:

Support groups mean little to me as i see it as not fixing the problem. Autism is increasing day by day and the numbers are getting higher and we need to find out why. Instead of putting all our energies into condeming some poor bird we should be demanding to know the WHOLE truth about Autism. What causes it, what it actually is and it's cure. Make no mistakes the answers are out there and people that need to be held accountable and brought into a court of law and compensation that needs to be paid out to help pay for these kids.

Could you elaborate on this point a little. Are you suggesting a conspiracy of some sorts? Just asking, as I am not following exactly what you are trying to say.

Wanted to share this information:
Psychotic depression is one of the most severe forms of the general depressive diseases in which the person experiences moments of delusional or paranoid being. During an episode, synesthesia may occur, including audio-visual hallucinations and erratic behavior. Psychotic depression is a chronic cyclic condition, in general, the patient may have unremarkable general depressive episodes marked by moments of extreme psychosis. Suicide is most prevalent in patients affected by psychotic episodes. Increased stress and chemical abuse can initiate a psychotic episode. Common symptoms of PD include: suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, audio & visual hallucination(seeing things or hearing voices),
aggression, frustration or feelings of hopelessness.

So what's next? Does the judge or the jury hand down the punishment?

Thanks for the updates.

What a sad case allaround. :(

So what's next? Does the judge or the jury hand down the punishment?

Thanks for the updates.

What a sad case allaround. :(

Well I am so glad she has been convicted. I hope they throw the book at her, I know I would! It sure is a sad case TM:blowkiss: .

On 1/15 I posted some information regarding psychotic depression. My reasoning for this was because in every article I've read on this case I never heard anyone say that Karen was perhaps hearing voices or seeing things, like in the case of Andrea Yates. Yes, I believe she was frustrated, depressed and had feelings of hopelessness like most people that have an autistic or chronically ill child. IMHO, I do not think that she was in a psychotic state at the time she suffocated Katie. I feel terrible for Katie and the people who truly loved her.

On 1/15 I posted some information regarding psychotic depression. My reasoning for this was because in every article I've read on this case I never heard anyone say that Karen was perhaps hearing voices or seeing things, like in the case of Andrea Yates. Yes, I believe she was frustrated, depressed and had feelings of hopelessness like most people that have an autistic or chronically ill child. IMHO, I do not think that she was in a psychotic state at the time she suffocated Katie. I feel terrible for Katie and the people who truly loved her.

Paddy that is exactly what one of the jurors they interviewed said. He did believe she was depressed but that does not make you psychotic. She knowingly killed her child.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back