GUILTY IL - Kenneth Hellstrom, 17, stabbed to death, Homewood, 19 Jan 1977

Samiya

Inactive
Reaction score
Man to be tried as adult in '77 killing

Suspect implicated self during traffic stop, authorities say

By Matthew Walberg |Tribune staff reporter October 17, 2007

A Cook County judge ruled Tuesday that a 46-year-old man charged this year as a juvenile in the 1977 murder of a classmate in Homewood should be prosecuted as an adult.

Juvenile Court Judge Paul Stralka made no mention of punishment in his explanation, but said the juvenile justice system could not help the defendant, Fred Rogers.

"It is certainly not in the best interest" of Rogers to be transferred to Criminal Court, Stralka said, noting the 14-year to life sentence Rogers faces if convicted. But Rogers, a lifelong alcoholic and drug abuser who has a long criminal record, needs treatment programs that only the adult criminal system can provide, the judge said.

more at link....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...17,1,953204.story?ctrack=3&cset=true#cooliris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenneth Hellstrom was murdered January 19th 1977

Rogers was arrested in March this year.

Sami

OK wait a minute if the crime happened 30 years ago and he's 46 he would have been 16 at the time I believe there were probably laws in place back then that would have had him tried as an adult then. Usually a Judge uses the age and crime to determine how they will proceed. It's still murder no matter what and his age at the time would more then likely allow for it or they couldn't do it. I am not sure his past crimes are admissible. (crimes between the murder to his recent arrest because at his age then he didn't have that record)

According to the link, if he was tried as a juvie, he would walk as juvies back then couldn't be imprisoned past the age of 21. Had he been tried as an adult back then the sentence would carry 14 years to life. They could have imposed that he be tried as an adult back then but since he wasn't caught for 30 years, they can and will take that route now. He probably would have been tried as a juvie back then had he been caught when he was 16.

His crimes between the murder and arrest only came into it as part of the decision by the judge to have him tried as an adult. They won't be admissible (as far as I am aware) during the murder trial itself.

The decision by the Judge is so that this guy can have access to 'treatment' that is available to adult inmates and I'm guessing also so that this guy actually receives punishment for his crime.

I daresay that the APD is going to appeal eventually against the decision to try him as an adult, and from what I read in the article....if he wins that and has him tried under Juvie law from 77...the guy walks and gets away with murder basically as he is now over 21.

(Sami's attempt as an Aussie in understanding what's going on. Probably totally wrong but I tried, lol.)

Sami

lol, do I get a green card for that?

I tried the lottery and it didn't work :(

Sami

Holy crap! I saw "Fred Rogers" and thought they meant the guy from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I nearly had a heart attack, then I remembered that he died a few years back.

I think I need to go to bed, my brain's not working right...

Holy crap! I saw "Fred Rogers" and thought they meant the guy from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I nearly had a heart attack, then I remembered that he died a few years back.

lol. no heart attacks allowed at WS. We'd have to investigate!

Sami

I had plenty of sleep and some coffee and STILL thought the same as you!

From June 2012:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/15/1977-murder-case-put-to-rest-with-guilty-plea-sentence/

Fred Rogers pleaded guilty Friday to killing Hellstrom near his house on Jan. 19, 1977. Judge Michele Simmons then sentenced him to 22 years in prison.

The plea came too late for Carol Hellstrom, who waited 30 years to see someone charged in her son’s death and then dutifully attended every court hearing for Rogers after his 2007 arrest: She died in June 2010 at age 75.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back