IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that they did find a gun on the scene, Lt. Gliniewicz's.

And the fact that the coroner, Rudd, did not rule out suicide as a cause of death tells me that he was shot with a .40 caliber bullet; the same as the gun that Gliniewicz was using.

Yes sorry to be unclear. But here's the thing- even it was the weapon used (and that IS likely) - if it were located in a fashion where it could be indicative of suicide they wouldn't be doing all of this.

Sent from my not so humble opinion.

We do know that the financial benefit of being killed in the line of duty is much greater than what it would be if COD was suicide or off duty (or not being killed at all).

We also know that the pension benefits that officers receive upon retirement is awesome (salary, healthcare, other insurance benefits, etc).

WHY would any other officer(s) help cover up a suicide at the risk of their own jobs and pensions? They wouldn't. Absolutely not. The risk is too great and they absolutely would not risk their own livelihood to cover for someone else.

If I were a fellow police officer, I would not want to quickly rule this a suicide for the sake of Gliniewicz's family. I would want to investigate all possibilities that this was indeed a homicide. Ruling this a suicide would mean severe ramifications for his family.

My opinion, police pension benefits are okay, but I wouldn't call them awesome. I would estimate that Gliniewicz would be entitled to about 60% of his income and would have to purchase health insurance for well over $500.00 per month. If I was in his position, I would be extremely worried about my financial situation.

So why are the cops mad at the coroner for stating that he can't rule anything out?

They are trying to silence his observations to the public. I'm sure the trajectory has the coroner possibly baffled where he is not ruling out suicide at the moment.

13 days and still no ballistics test results? Absurd!. JMO

That's why I was wondering if perhaps he planned to meet someone there, or was tricked into thinking something was going to go down, there. As, I said, his going there at that time was purposeful. JMO

Yes totally. He was lured there and murdered.

As a fellow police officer, I would not want to quickly rule this a suicide for the sake of Gliniewicz's family. I would want to investigate all possibilities that this was indeed a homicide. Ruling this a suicide would mean severe ramifications for his family.

My opinion, police pension benefits are okay, but I wouldn't call them awesome. I would estimate that Gliniewicz would be entitled to about 60% of his income and would have to purchase health insurance for well over $500.00 per month. If I was in his position, I would be extremely worried about my financial situation.

TY. From your experience, how soon are ballistic tests performed and how soon are results generated? This is what the Coroner is waiting for, to rule, as I understand it. JMO

Yes totally. He was lured there and murdered.

The alleged "suspects" were on foot.

Can you explain why police trained K9's from as many as 48 agencies were not able to pick up on their scent? Why no footprints or other evidence has been found? Why they were not spotted (within minutes) by the flood of officers and helicopters?

TY. From your experience, how soon are ballistic tests performed and how soon are results generated? This is what the Coroner is waiting for, to rule, as I understand it. JMO

I apologise for the miswording. I meant that if I was a fellow police officer, which I'm not. Sorry about the confusion.

OT......LOL BOO RADLEY! I love that name and call myself that because I'm quite the recluse. JMO

Yes sorry to be unclear. But here's the thing- even it was the weapon used (and that IS likely) - if it were located in a fashion where it could be indicative of suicide they wouldn't be doing all of this.

Again, someone needs to explain why / how the three suspects that the Lt allegedly observed and reported himself could not be detected or tracked by so many trained K9's. Why no other evidence has been found (foot prints, signs of a struggle, etc) and why they were not seen on any video cameras, by other officers or residents, by the helicopters, etc.

The evidence that we have so far simply does not support the officer's report to dispatch. Are you thinking that will change?

Ok, so here's my number one theory (at this moment, at least):

I think Lt was set up and them ambushed. I think someone called him on his way to work and asked him to check out three suspicious males by the cement plant. He got there and radio'd in his location. He then saw 3 males running away towards the swamp (Maybe these 3 males were given money from someone to be there and then run away?). As he was following them, the person who set him up then ambushed him and shot and killed him.

The three men could have been local criminal-types who were paid to be there at that time. That could explain why they were then seen on surveillance video, and then cleared of having anything to do with the murder - because they were only in that area briefly, and before Lt was murdered.

I think maybe it has something to do with the internal investigation, which could be why the police in this case are being so odd about releasing anything. Maybe they're onto a suspect, but are building their case.

It's hard for me to believe that there were really 3 suspects who murdered the Lt and then got away, without being videotaped anywhere and without anyone seeing them. It's even harder for me to believe that the 3 suspects who murdered him are different than the 3 males who were on the video. I just think it's quite odd that there were 2 sets of three males (two white, one black) in the area at the same time. This all leads me to believe that there wasn't really 3 males who murdered him.

As for the suicide theory - If it's true about the downward trajectory and the shot in the abdomen, and there two shots, that seems unlikely to me. If it was a head shot, I might think differently. I haven't completely ruled out suicide though.

I HAVE ruled out the "3 men murdered him" theory. I think they would have been seen, or would have talked by now. I also think the manhunt ended rather quickly. I was in Fox Lake on the Friday after it happened, and the manhunt was definitely already over.

The only thing I am really sure of about this case is that's it's definitely perplexing.

jmo

Rational actors or irrational actors that is the question.
When individuals who on the surface come out of nowhere and insert themselves seemingly with nothing to gain and everything to lose it gives me great pause.
Both the 30 yr old woman who called in the false sighting and the ex cop who called the coroner are examples of this.
It's easy to say they are off their nut but what if they aren't ? We know next to nothing about the woman's background and to what extent she was interviewed,who her lawyer is, etc. and what do we know about the ex cop?

Sheesh, if they would just provide their evidence to the Coroner, perhaps the suicide angle could be put to bed. That would calm a lot of public speculation. They are all aghast that anyone is suggesting suicide, but they have done nothing to quell it. JMO

If I were a fellow police officer, I would not want to quickly rule this a suicide for the sake of Gliniewicz's family. I would want to investigate all possibilities that this was indeed a homicide. Ruling this a suicide would mean severe ramifications for his family.

Eh I guess the benefits vary from place to place but my husbands pension rocks- you're spot on regarding the percentage of income (the figure used is an average of the highest paying five years of service) but he/we also have health insurance, dental,(the top tier plan from BCBS Excellus) for the rest of our lives.

My hubby is getting his masters and will have a second career (his choice- I totally support him just golfing every day post retirement but he is a workaholic) - he wants to use his pension income as our "vacation fund" lol - but I would consider lifetime health insurance to be pretty awesome

They keep changing the supposed start time for his day.

Originally they claimed he was on his way to work and not yet on duty.

It was implied that his duty started at 8:00 but then days later they changed it to say he was on duty and was shot just minutes after his 7:45 duty start time.

I think they changed it because they wanted to be sure he was covered with being considered "killed on duty."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-shooting-search-met-0906-20150905-story.html

Sept 5 - His radio call came in at 7:52 a.m., just minutes after his shift began at 7:45 a.m., Covelli said.

Covelli said he didn't want to speculate about what Gliniewicz's duties were that morning.

They don't have to mess around with the times in order for him to 'be on duty.' If he was in uniform, driving the patrol car, towards the station to begin his shift then he was on duty. JMO

Sheesh, if they would just provide their evidence to the Coroner, perhaps the suicide angle could be put to bed. That would calm a lot of public speculation. They are all aghast that anyone is suggesting suicide, but they have done nothing to quell it. JMO

I struggle with this too. Why haven't they come forward to say that they're aware of all the speculation about suicide and they can confirm that it isn't? The only reason for that must be because they haven't been able to completely rule it out yet.

jmo

They don't have to mess around with the times in order for him to 'be on duty.' If he was in uniform, driving the patrol car, towards the station to begin his shift then he was on duty. JMO

Wasn't he south of the PD station, but lives north of it? Any idea where the gym and coffee shop he habitually patronized are? Maybe he was headed north from there? JMO

Again, someone needs to explain why / how the three suspects that the Lt allegedly observed and reported himself could not be detected or tracked by so many trained K9's. Why no other evidence has been found (foot prints, signs of a struggle, etc) and why they were not seen on any video cameras, by other officers or residents, by the helicopters, etc.

The evidence that we have so far simply does not support the officer's report to dispatch. Are you thinking that will change?

No I totally agree that there is zero evidence that supports what he reported.

And here's my question- what scent were the k9s tracking? They don't just sniff at the ground- they are trained to detect very specific scent based on a sample. e.g. If they are searching for a missing child, they are using a sample obtained from parents (clothing, etc) to search.

Wasn't he south of the PD station, but lives north of it? Any idea where the gym and coffee shop he habitually patronized are? Maybe he was headed north from there? JMO

IIRC, there was a discussion way upthread by a few locals, saying there was a local gym in the area he was coming from. I don't remember the name of it but he supposedly went to the gym in the early mornings before work.

You are correct!

In regards to shifts- based on how my husbands job works- if you're on the "3-11 shift" that means you've reported for duty and are actively engaged in patrol, etc, to relieve the person on the 7-3 shift at 2:45 PM. Replacements are on duty no later than 15 minutes prior to start of shift so there is no gap in coverage.

Also officers are considered on duty 30 min prior to and after shift for travel time. Some jurisdictions have even more time depending on geography.

So if he works the "8-4 shift" then he would be on duty and patrolling no later than 7:45 AM. He would also have been considered on duty at 7:15 am for travel time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member