IL - Magdalene Webber, 4, nearly decapitated, Bloomingdale, 3 Nov 2010 *Insanity*

I dont know if this would be reassuring to our catholic posters or not, but IMO I dont think it's anything to do with her religion truly, the whole thing is screaming untreated schizophrenia to me. obviously a good catholic or christian would not do something like ..I cant even type it out yall, I'm sorry. it wasnt religion that made her do this.

You're spot on. After reading I recognized the schizophrenia from the start. My brother is a paranoid schizophrenic and while most are not harmful they can be if they feel they are under attack or about to die by someone's hand. Most Paranoids have great fear of the Government, they are out to get them. Sad to say this woman is mentally ill however not enough to escape prison.

Hopefully she will be treated in prison and then she can come to comprehend what she did.

No, absolutely not. I agree with you2goldfish. However, I think all her Religious fantactiscm (si) adds to the schizophrenia leanings.

Meanwhile investigators from Illinois traveled to her Nassau home. They removed eveidence, and interviewed people in the area.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Nassau-home-probed-805284.php

You're wrong sorry to say. Again, my brother also took heavy to Church and read/carried around his bible non-stop. The reason was this was the only place in their mind that they felt somewhat safe. Eventually though even the Church/Religion will end up to them not being that safe haven.

DuPage County prosecutors will be allowed to have a mental health expert interview a woman charged in the November slashing death of her 4-year-old daughter, a judge ruled Monday over the defense's objection.

Attorneys for Marci Webber, 43, said the exam — anticipated sometime in the next two weeks — is premature because they haven't decided yet whether to raise an insanity defense. In an attempt to address that concern, Judge George Bakalis ruled the results would be admissible only if Webber claims mental incompetency.

more here - including defense attorney saying that ATM they have a defense other than insanity in mind that's "ranking first".

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110103/news/701049888/

How I wish it were true that people with serious mental illness would be "treated" while in prison but that's just not the case. It's shocking to me how often legitimate and long-standing diagnoses can be completely ignored for those imprisoned. Each state has different guidelines but the mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics, and anti-anxiety meds are few and far between for prisoners. As far as talk therapy....that's a pipe dream.

I have no doubt that many people worried about Marci. There's so little caring friends and family can do, until a tragedy occurs.

Fly high, little Magdalene.

The voices, unexplainable thoughts in ones head can often be explained away or justified in the unbalanced mind of untreated mentally ill as God or godly. It is no reflection upon religion or mental illness. It is simply the case sometimes. I have experienced this phenomenon first hand within my family.

I think we will learn this woman was very ill and not properly diagnosed or medicated for whatever reason.

You're wrong sorry to say.

Ummmmm I basically said the same thing you did. So that makes two of us that are wrong? Maybe I misunderstood you?:waitasec: Or you misunderstood me?:waitasec:

Ummmmm I basically said the same thing you did. So that makes two of us that are wrong? Maybe I misunderstood you?:waitasec: Or you misunderstood me?:waitasec:

Filly - I agree. This was not about Catholicism or anything we would recognize as "religion".

I think we need to understand that regardless of what she wrote about herself or how she perceived her life and troubles - all of it comes from her twited slant on life.

What I can't accept in a crime caused by "insanity" - she was sane enough to plead not guilty and to request a lower bond! She also thought out the process of murder enough to drug her little girl! I realize there is no making sense of this but would think for someone to truly be not guilty by reason of insanity, they are also too insane to understand guilt or lack there of. KWIM?

Given the nature of the crime and the obvious instability, this is a verdict I can live with. I don't think that there would be anything gained by putting her into the correctional system. The mental health system does seem to be the place for her. I hope they keep her a long time.

Maybe in a way it would be better if she never gets better? I often wonder, if I went completely insane and harmed one of my kids or someone else, would recovering be a blessing or a curse? Would the sane version of myself be able to live with the things that the insane version did?

June 2012:

Marci Webber believed that random vans were following her and that there was a sinister omen in the way the neighbors flicked their lights off and on, authorities said. Her television was switching itself automatically to *advertiser censored* channels, and members of a secret society were menacing her, she thought...

The body of the child, who was almost decapitated, was on a blanket in the bathtub, atop the wood-handled folding knife that her mother had used to slash her throat. Webber was also in the room, suffering from self-inflicted slash wounds to the arm and neck.

When Mallory screamed in terror, her mother admonished her.

"Sshhh, the baby's sleeping," Webber reportedly said.

Police said they found blood smeared on every surface in the room, and Webber had written things like "Satan" and "divine mercy = Satan" in blood on the walls. She had wrapped a rosary around the faucet and tied a religious scapular around Maggie's foot.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...08_1_marci-webber-mental-hospital-east-nassau

June 2012:

She said her mother battled alcoholism at times and went through a flurry of mental health professionals who offered varying diagnoses, from major depression and bipolar disorder to borderline personality disorder and psychosis.

But even with medication and therapy, her troubles persisted, and child welfare workers were often at her door...
devout Catholic for much of her life, she also grew increasingly infatuated with religion and increasingly paranoid about secret societies and evil, Mallory said.

"But she was not so far different that I was concerned for anybody's safety," she said. "Mom had never beat us or hit us, none of that."...

Looking back, Mallory says she blames the mental health system more for her sister's death than she does her mother.

She believes her mother was repeatedly misdiagnosed and shuffled in different directions by doctors who didn't appreciate the severity of her condition, or know how to treat it.

"Part of me also is upset that maybe she realized something was wrong, and she didn't tell anybody. I don't know. I can't hold it against her at this point," Mallory said. "She didn't want to hurt her."...

"She cries about Maggie," Mallory said. "She's so heartbroken and wishes she could turn back time. She knows what she did and is incredibly sorry."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120611/news/706119951/

September 2014:

Webber, 47, is due back in court Wednesday after filing a motion seeking either her release from the Elgin Mental Health Center or placement in less restrictive conditions.

In August, she filed the paperwork to begin the process to seek her freedom, saying she had regained her sanity and was ready to be released. She also said she was seeking to expedite the process because her elderly father is in failing health and she wished to be with him....

her August motion, Webber said she "is no longer in need of mental health services on an inpatient basis because she experienced an iatrogenic (caused by medication) psychosis in 2010 which was not due to mental illness."...

In a 2013 Chicago Tribune interview, Webber said her psychosis in 2010 was caused by her withdrawal from antidepressants that had been prescribed for her, combined with stress.

"I am sane," she said last year. "As a matter of fact, I'm fine. … I don't belong in here. How do you convince someone you are fine?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur.../ct-marci-webber-met-1001-20140930-story.html

I dunno, sounds to me like she might still be in denial about what she's done. According to her daughter, she's been seriously mentally ill for years and years - there's something more wrong than just a reaction to antidepressants, IMO. Letting her out to look after a vulnerable ailing elderly parent doesn't sound like a good idea - the stress could send her spiralling towards psychosis again, and if she doesn't have the insight to recognise that as soon as it starts she could become very dangerous again. Moo.

He said her breakdown came after losing child-custody battles for her two older daughters. She also became obsessed with religion, and obsessed with a lawsuit she had filed against a former psychiatrist.

As her mental state worsened, Wasyliw said, she began having paranoid delusions about people spying on her from cars passing by, the television changing stations on its own, and the radio playing the same song repeatedly.

"Everything around her seemed to be threatening, everything she saw," Wasyliw testified.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120607/news/706079750/

Wasyliw, the psychologist, testified Webber became "obsessed" with her lawsuit and court cases, and was devastated when she learned the suit would not go to trial.

When police later searched her home in East Nassau, N.Y., he said, they found Webber had scrawled notes about the case all over her bathroom walls, "from floor to ceiling."
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120611/news/706119951/

October 2014:

Marci Webber, the former Nassau resident committed to an Illinois mental hospital after killing her 4-year-old daughter in 2010, was denied an emergency request to be moved from the facility where she claims in a civil lawsuit that she is being abused...

Meanwhile, Webber has also sued the hospital and staff in civil court, claiming abuse and forced medication....

The lawsuit recounted a May incident during which Webber said she was forcefully given an injection of Lorazepam, a powerful sedative. She also says that she suffered physical and emotional injuries and is entitled to compensatory damages...
In the county court action, Webber claims improper medication led to a mental state that caused her to nearly decapitate her daughter to save the child from demonic possession.
http://m.timesunion.com/local/article/Judge-No-hospital-switch-for-Nassau-mom-who-5857772.php

Sounds like she's still paranoid and obsessed with lawsuits. Moo.

June 2013:

A year ago, a DuPage County judge found Webber not guilty by reason of insanity in the slashing of Maggie’s throat on Nov. 3, 2010. A recent report shows dual diagnoses of schizoaffective and paranoid personality disorders.

Webber disagrees with the findings. She said her delusions are gone, and she hopes to be released from the locked wing at the Elgin Mental Health Center...

Of the morning she killed her daughter, Webber said she has memory only of “bits and pieces.” She recalls putting Benadryl in Maggie’s sippy cup so the girl would remain asleep. Webber said she knows she closed her eyes for what happened next.

“I had no concept I was hurting her,” she said through tears. “I thought I was protecting her. . I don’t have a visual picture, and I thank God every day for that.”

But Webber says she is better now and deserves to be released. What happened, she said, was the result of her withdrawal from various antidepressants during a period of severe stress revolving around her belief that Maggie had been sexually abused.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...3/06/13/aftermath-of-an-insanity-verdict.html

Schizoaffective disorder and paranoid personality disorder. And it sounds like she's in complete denial about it and blames her daughter's brutal death on the doctor who prescribed her antidepressants. If she's released, the first thing she will do is go off her meds, IMO. And I don't believe paranoid personality disorder can even be controlled by meds anyway. She's still very dangerous IMO.

2014 lawsuit:

In later summer or early fall of 2013, Petitioner Marci Webber repeatedly requested medical advice and help toward gradually weaning herself off psychotropic medications. Her psychiatrist refused to give her any help at all regarding the continuing use of psychotropic medications, or to refer her to anyone else to help with this potentially dangerous drug withdrawal process. Petitioner Webber's social worker explicitly threatened her with a much longer involuntary confinement should she attempt to stop taking the drugs, despite the fact they were causing unpleasant, potentially dangerous and unwanted "side" effects and a seriously and permanently damaging decline in her mental and physical health, without any discernible benefit whatsoever.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...l-UPrpB_2xdJ6gaoQ&sig2=aDA3xLFk783fMIRpxuDjaw

2015, WEBBER V. PHARIS. Webber argues that she was held down and injected with a sedative for no reason.

Plaintiff, who is involuntarily committed to the Elgin Mental Health Center, alleges that her constitutional rights were violated when the Center's staff manhandled her and forcibly injected her with a sedative. Plaintiff brings suit under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 against ten workers at the Center, the Center itself, its chief, and the Illinois Department of Human Services. These defendants now all move to dismiss plaintiff's amended complaint for failure to state a claim and lack of subject-matter jurisdiction. For the following reasons, defendants' motion is granted in-part, and denied in-part.

https://casetext.com/case/webber-v-pharis

Webber vs Hussein June 2015:

Plaintiff, who is involuntarily committed to the Elgin Mental Health Center, claims she was forcibly and unnecessarily drugged on two occasions. In her second amended complaint, plaintiff alleges these injections—conducted by the defendant doctor, three nurses, and two staff members—constituted excessive force in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment and retaliation in violation of the First Amendment. Defendants, other than the doctor, have moved under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(6) to dismiss certain of these claims. For the following reasons, the motion is granted in part, and denied in part...

Plaintiff alleges that "the staff who surrounded and intimidated [her] did so for the purpose of retaliating against her for her study in public (visible to other patients) of a book which they find objectionable, due to its leading and well-known criticisms of psychiatry."

http://www.leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20150615B14/Webber v. Hussain

Webber had lost custody of at least one of her other two children and had previously filed a lawsuit in Warren County against a psychologist she blamed for her loss of custody. She had created Reform Our Courts 4 Kids, an organization critical of the Family Court system, and she expressed similar sentiments on her MySpace page.Webber had previously studied law at Albany Law School, where a classmate said she once vocally criticized a guest speaker on the Family Court system.
http://www.troyrecord.com/general-n...-not-guilty-to-allegedly-killing-her-daughter

AR-311309992.jpg
Mugshot after the killing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin