IL IL - Michelle Bianco, 44, Springfield, 5 April 2008

In a 2018 SJ-R story, then-Sgt. Anthony Mayfield, who was in the sheriff’s detective bureau in 2008, remembered how he thought the bureau was "going to jump on this and find her by the end of the shift. We knew there was more to it after that first 24 to 48 hours.”

The family eventually offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to her being found, to no avail
I am new to this forum, but do you think it's possible that her cousin, who lived at the home where her remains were recently discovered, could be responsible? She is the one who was with her and reported her missing - driving away with an unknown male in a black Pontiac - and now her remains were discovered at the residence where her cousin lived? Seems too much of a coincidence - maybe there was no male in a black Pontiac who picked her up? If that were true, would he murder her and bring her remains back to her cousin's home? Doesn't seem likely.

I am new to this forum, but do you think it's possible that her cousin, who lived at the home where her remains were recently discovered, could be responsible? She is the one who was with her and reported her missing - driving away with an unknown male in a black Pontiac - and now her remains were discovered at the residence where her cousin lived? Seems too much of a coincidence - maybe there was no male in a black Pontiac who picked her up? If that were true, would he murder her and bring her remains back to her cousin's home? Doesn't seem likely.
Is it the cousin's former residence, or just in the same area as where the cousin lived?

I’m wondering who the cousin was that was with her? I’ve been trying to look through old articles & unable to find anything.

I’m wondering who the cousin was that was with her? I’ve been trying to look through old articles & unable to find anything.
The old articles all mention her, but they do not give her name that I could find either.

It mentions that the cousin lived there. I will try to find those articles and post them here.
From a Crimestoppers cold case article: "Michelle Bianco was last seen and heard from on April 5th, 2008 at her cousin’s home at the 2100 block of South Grand Avenue East in Springfield." If you look at 2100 South Grand Avenue East on maps, it is the same house that is pictured in recent news articles where the body and items belonging to Michelle Bianco were found. It doesn't seem likely to me that her abductor would bring her body and personal items back to that location. Interested in other thoughts on this.

That is exactly what I think. I didn't know the victim or cousin but I am a local and with where Shelly was found I think her cousin has lots and lots of 'splaining to do JMO that story about a dude with dark hair who called Shelly by name and they drove off into the sunset has always been all sorts of suss.

Is it the cousin's former residence, or just in the same area as where the cousin lived?
Michelle Bianco was last seen and heard from on April 5, 2008. Authorities said Bianco was at her cousin's home in the 2100 block of South Grand Avenue East.
[snip]
Skeletal remains found in Springfield house confirmed to be those of woman missing since 2008

ET link to info about cousin's home being place last seen.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the cousin who last saw her has never been publicly named. I can't even determine their sex. All articles skirt the issue I am assuming because LE has never released that info.

Public property records tell me who owned the property she was found at the time she went missing but without knowing the cousins name I can't confirm that that individual's home is where the remains were recently located with any amount of certainty. I strongly suspect that is the case tho.

It looks like MB had a number of cousins/2nd cousins living in the Springfield area at the time. I also find it odd that the cousin, who was an eyewitness to her alleged abduction, said MB got into the car willingly, seeming to know the unknown male driver, who called her Shelly, while another eye witness said MB was "shoved" into the vehicle. The police know who the cousin eyewitness was, where she lived, and what she said, so possibly they are following that trail right now and keeping it under wraps. This seems likely as the eyewitness statements don't match up, and it doesn't make sense that an unknown abductor would return her and her personal items to the location from which she was supposedly abducted. Also, MB spoke to her boyfriend by phone shortly before the alleged abduction, and she told him she would be calling her son for a ride home; however, the cousin said MB had been trying to find a ride for hours. A lot of inconsistencies.

As far as I know, the cousin who last saw her has never been publicly named. I can't even determine their sex. All articles skirt the issue I am assuming because LE has never released that info.

Public property records tell me who owned the property she was found at the time she went missing but without knowing the cousins name I can't confirm that that individual's home is where the remains were recently located with any amount of certainty. I strongly suspect that is the case tho.
In 2008, it says the home was owner occupied by senior citizens, so the cousin may have lived there with them, or the owners rented the house to the cousin. It's not uncommon, unfortunately, for owners to list homes as owner occupied and rent them out for the tax breaks. MB had a number of cousins and 2nd cousins living in the Springfield area in 2008. The recent photos of the home in the news are of the home at this address.

Experts have identified the skeletal remains of found at a house in the 2100 block of South Grand Avenue East late Monday morning as those of Michelle Renee "Shelly" Bianco, who disappeared from Springfield more than 16 years ago.

Sangamon County Coroner Jim Allmon confirmed the identity following Tuesday's post-mortem examination which included a forensic pathologist and anthropologist.

In 2008, it says the home was owner occupied by senior citizens, so the cousin may have lived there with them, or the owners rented the house to the cousin. It's not uncommon, unfortunately, for owners to list homes as owner occupied and rent them out for the tax breaks. MB had a number of cousins and 2nd cousins living in the Springfield area in 2008. The recent photos of the home in the news are of the home at this address.
I was thinking the cousin could have been an adult family member (child or grandchild) of the senior owners of the residence who was staying with them, but you may be right and the cousin may be unrelated to the property owners and just a renter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back