GUILTY IL - Mya Lyons, 9, stabbed to death, Chicago, 15 July 2008

FYI - I'mnot sure where that news source quoted above got that 3 a.m. time frame. The article I just posted says this:

"The 9-year-old had gone to bed about 11 p.m. Monday after telling her grandmother she was tired and wanted to sleep. About 10 minutes later, the family heard a door shut. The noise drew the girl's father downstairs to investigate, relatives said.

After quickly discovering Mya wasn't in the house, relatives went outside to search for her. About 15 minutes later, Richard Lyons Sr. found his daughter wounded in a secluded alley near their home. His anguished screams awoke the quiet South Side street where the family has lived for more than two decades."

That's an awfully small time frame! I wonder why she went outside 10 minutes after telling the grandma she was tired and wanted to sleep. :waitasec:

jmo

PandaJ, thanks for the update! Events happened very quckly.

If she was heard screaming, was the alley filled with people looking for the source? Did anyone call 911? I know I'd do both.

http://www.wbbm780.com/Family-Asks--What-Led-Murdered-Girl-Into-Alley-/2607819

(snip)
The alley where Mya was found is bound by raised Metra tracks on one side and garages on the other. The block has an unconventional layout, and many do not know that the dead-end street turns into an alley.
"I was at one end of the block," said neighbor Nakia Akins. "You could hear her screaming from the other end."

PandaJ, thanks for the update! Events happened very quckly.

And thanks to you for all your great updates and the info about that rso across the street. :blowkiss:

I just can't get my head around who was able to lure this girl outside in just ten minutes! Maybe someone she knows? If it WAS the guy across the street, I wonder if she ever had any interaction with him....maybe she talked to him and trusted him....

jmo

And thanks to you for all your great updates and the info about that rso across the street. :blowkiss:

I just can't get my head around who was able to lure this girl outside in just ten minutes! Maybe someone she knows? If it WAS the guy across the street, I wonder if she ever had any interaction with him....maybe she talked to him and trusted him....

jmo

I can't imagine she would have left her house for a stranger. And that would explain killing her as well. So she couldn't ID them. God I hope the perp is caught soon. There seems to be so many random unsolved crimes this past year. I hope that isn't the case here.

An aside. When I was looking for the RSO, I did a street search with the alley address. It came up with 1300+ non-compliant S/O's for that area. That shocked the hell out of me.

An aside. When I was looking for the RSO, I did a street search with the alley address. It came up with 1300+ non-compliant S/O's for that area. That shocked the hell out of me.

Whoa!!! It IS in the city, but jeez! I wonder what whole area your search covered. Scary!

jmo

Could she have been taken from her bed?

Or is the quote about the block party and the family noticing she was missing the correct version of events?

The one article linked says this about RSO's:

A registered sex offender lives on Richard Lyons' block. About that, police only said everything remains under investigation.

FYI - I'mnot sure where that news source quoted above got that 3 a.m. time frame. The article I just posted says this:

"The 9-year-old had gone to bed about 11 p.m. Monday after telling her grandmother she was tired and wanted to sleep. About 10 minutes later, the family heard a door shut. The noise drew the girl's father downstairs to investigate, relatives said.

After quickly discovering Mya wasn't in the house, relatives went outside to search for her. About 15 minutes later, Richard Lyons Sr. found his daughter wounded in a secluded alley near their home. His anguished screams awoke the quiet South Side street where the family has lived for more than two decades."

That's an awfully small time frame! I wonder why she went outside 10 minutes after telling the grandma she was tired and wanted to sleep. :waitasec:

jmo

???? I have read in numerous articles they had all gone to a block party and realized she was missing around midnight. Now she was in bed at 9pm?

Hmmmm....I think that the family does not have a good idea of who last saw her and where she actually was. I would have to believe that the assault itself took some time? But her father certainly happened onto the scene shortly after? She took quite a beating, poor baby.

I found this article interesting.

The 9-year-old had gone to bed about 11 p.m. Monday after telling her grandmother she was tired and wanted to sleep. About 10 minutes later, the family heard a door shut. The noise drew the girl's father downstairs to investigate, relatives said.

Lyons took his daughter, still dressed in her pink outfit, to nearby Jackson Park Hospital, where she was pronounced dead

An autopsy performed Tuesday determined Mya died of multiple injuries in a homicide, the Cook County medical examiner's office said. It's unlikely the girl was sexually assaulted, based on the autopsy, Chief of Detectives Thomas Byrne said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-girl-stabbedjul16,0,2204469.story

Why was Mya not in her pj's? Was it normal for her to wear her play clothes to bed? She was either taken before she had a chance to change, or went outside on her own, which I question.

wbbm0716myalyons2.jpg
She was so pretty! What a shame!

I for one do not love how this is shaping up...almost like the family is covering for someone, God forbid. It cannot have been the dad, considering his intense grief is what drew attention to his presence in the alley where she was found, right???

The media reports are all helter-skelter. She goes to bed but she is still in her playclothes. She was at a block party at 11pm. She went to bed at 9pm. She was found at midnight. She was found at 3am. She was sexually abused, she wasn't sexually abused.

I sure hope the media isn't getting their info from the LE.

I am so shock over this poor beautiful girl's murder. Seen on the news here in Chi-Town.

I guess as the investigation continues we will read more about the minutes of that night.

Praying for evidence to find someone accountable...

Poor little beautiful Mya..

Rosco.

Prayers for this family and may little Mya rest in peace and snuggle in the wings of angels.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious
Back