GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

...This child is already under the auspices of the social ministry because she has been taken from her mother due to a murder conviction of her own family, bringing protection from violence into the picture. Heather has no family to back her up because she killed her mother. Family is everything here.
This is extremely interesting. I know nothing of the auspices of the social ministry there. Hmm... Stella was born there, so maybe they can stop Heather from taking custody.

The article I posted above also said-- Now the family firmly believe that the US federal authorities are determined that Mack and Schaefer will face trial on their return to the US, as it's clear they lied in the Indonesian trial and there is no double jeopardy with Indonesia.

You know so much about what it is like there and what's important there. I find what you share fascinating. However, I don't think Stella was legally adopted by her "foster family" in Bali. It takes a lot here in the US to take a child away from their parent. If Heather can weasel any money from Stella's inheritance in Trust to live on, she will probably opt to take custody of the child and try to raise her. I hope every which way is blocked from her doing that.

I had to refresh my memory. Found an article from 2018.
You're right that the details and terms of Stella's inheritance are confidential. Hopefully, there some age limitations and Sheila's brother retained some control of disbursements.

Woman in Bali murder gives up claim to mother's estate | Daily Mail Online
PUBLISHED: 08:06 EDT, 21 June 2018
Mack was due to receive a regular income from her mother's estate until she turned 30 when she was to inherit $1.6 million, according to Sheila's will which named her as the sole heir.

But Sheila's brother William Wiese, the executor of Sheila's million-dollar estate, refused to pay out, citing the Illinois slayer statute which states if you're involved in a murder and you're a beneficiary of a trust of the person you murdered, you lose all rights as a beneficiary. The ensuing legal battle between Mack and the estate has already eaten up around half of Sheila's estate.

Finally, on Wednesday, both sides reached a settlement which states that Mack will not receive 'any property, benefit, or
other interest.'

The sole beneficiary will be Mack's daughter, Stella, ...

This is interesting:
In the eyes of Indonesian Law, Schaefer has no right to Stella now that she's out of the prison unless he and Stella have new blood tests, but that can only happen with Mack's permission and she won't agree to it.

She got addicted in prison. So, is Heather still a meth addict? I guess not, if she's being released on good behavior. (what a joke)
It's known within the prison that Mack had always dabbled in the local version of crystal meth called Shabu, but last year she reportedly became addicted.
She's not adopted yet but after years with foster parents because her parents are unfit, it's the next step, unless the bio mom can prove she is now capable of providing for her child's physical, financial, and spiritual health.
The Ministry of Social Affairs includes the equivalent of our family and children's services and social welfare.
ETA, the corrupt part of the government is where they will also silently consider keeping a million or so in US dollars in Bali that belong to the child or allow her and her wealth to be sent to the US with a monster.

Last edited:
She's not adopted yet but after years with foster parents because her parents are unfit, it's the next step, unless the bio mom can prove she is now capable of providing for her child's physical, financial, and spiritual health.
The Ministry of Social Affairs includes the equivalent of our family and children's services and social welfare.
Just want to voice my reaction, and please know I'm not challenging what you're saying. The ways are different there. This post is just my own thoughts and opinions because I don't really know what is allowed there in another country.

Are you saying they can force a parent to sign over their child for adoption? They are making Heather leave the country. She has no choice. She has served her time for the crime according to them and gets out on good behavior. So, what's the problem that she can't take her own daughter with her? I'm not used to such overbearing or tyrannical social services and concern. Physical, financial, and spiritual... you say even a certain religion? Separating a child from his or her biological parents is legally quite difficult in the US. So, I'm just shocked by what you think might be possible there. So appreciate your take on things and that you point out the real reason might be govnmt might want to keep Stella's money in the country.

Just want to voice my reaction, and please know I'm not challenging what you're saying. The ways are different there. This post is just my own thoughts and opinions because I don't really know what is allowed there in another country.

Are you saying they can force a parent to sign over their child for adoption? They are making Heather leave the country. She has no choice. She has served her time for the crime according to them and gets out on good behavior. So, what's the problem that she can't take her own daughter with her? I'm not used to such overbearing or tyrannical social services and concern. Physical, financial, and spiritual... you say even a certain religion? Separating a child from his or her biological parents is legally quite difficult in the US. So, I'm just shocked by what you think might be possible there. So appreciate your take on things and that you point out the real reason might be govnmt might want to keep Stella's money in the country.
It is difficult in the US to seperate a child from their parents unless they are deemed unfit for such a length of time that the parent loses their rights and the child is adopted out, often to their long term foster parents if it's determined by the courts to be in the best interest of the child.
The same thing is possible here.
The child is under Indonesian law as long as she is here, US law means nothing here just like Indonesian law means nothing in the US, and she was born here, does Stella even have a US passport? I don't know how Heather can get a passport for Stella during her deportation unless the US Embassy in Jakarta delivers it to Kerobokan, there's not any freedom of movement for her here before LE puts her on a plane out.
That's true even for the foriegners who have been deported for not wearing face masks, they are held in deportation until they board the plane.
If Heather has access to a lot of money she can probably get her child back, or if the foster parents willingly hand her over. Maybe. Perhaps the US State Department will assist her?
I don't know but she has alot going against her.

Religion is written into the law here, a Hindu child can not be adopted by a Muslim or a Christian and good luck finding someone to conduct an interfaith marriage here and then getting your local government agency to register it, even though interfaith marriage is not technically illegal. Westerners convert to their local spouses religion to marry here or go to another country to marry.

snipped and bbm
Separating a child from his or her biological parents is legally quite difficult in the US. So, I'm just shocked by what you think might be possible there. So appreciate your take on things and that you point out the real reason might be govnmt might want to keep Stella's money in the country.

I just want to add, remember all the migrant children in the US who were seperated from their parents at the border and never returned?
The US government says they don't even know where they are.
None of those parents murdered anyone.
Just saying.
Parents of 391 migrant children separated at border under Trump still have not been found, court filing says - CNNPolitics

Last edited:
Heather, even as guilty as she was, didn't just sit back and let the law of that land have the last say. She knew she had some money to entice them. She had people in the US working on her behalf from the start too. She got off light, over there, on the horrible crime she orchestrated. She got to keep Stella with her for two years. She had an easy, fun time in prison, had phones, lovers, did drugs. She didn't behave, and yet gets out in only 7 yrs. for good behavior.

I'm not sure how concerned the authorities are over there, it seems more connected to the money. Who's to say Stella won't leave when she reaches the age that Trust money kicks in?

I know she doesn't have many resources now, but wonder if she'll just accept what the govnmt there says. Taking her daughter Stella away means no access to Stella's Trust money, which would be important to Heather. JMO, I see her as an evil, selfish, manipulative, resourceful girl. She doesn't back down easy.

Heather, even as guilty as she was, didn't just sit back and let the law of that land have the last say. She knew she had some money to entice them. She had people in the US working on her behalf from the start too. She got off light, over there, on the horrible crime she orchestrated. She got to keep Stella with her for two years. She had an easy, fun time in prison, had phones, lovers, did drugs. She didn't behave, and yet gets out in only 7 yrs. for good behavior.

I'm not sure how concerned the authorities are over there, it seems more connected to the money. Who's to say Stella won't leave when she reaches the age that Trust money kicks in?

I know she doesn't have many resources now, but wonder if she'll just accept what the govnmt there says. Taking her daughter Stella away means no access to Stella's Trust money, which would be important to Heather. JMO, I see her as an evil, selfish, manipulative, resourceful girl. She doesn't back down easy.
Money changes everything, I believe that is why her sentence was short and how she got out early.
As far as phones, drugs, and lovers in prison, Heather isn't special.
Many may not have the money she had to order restaurant take out to be delivered but local families deliver home made food to their loved one in prison everyday and bring them a phone. You can get anything you want in Kerobokan with money or outside connections.
Everyone gets to keep their baby born in prison for the first two years if they choose, that's the law. It's a selfish choice, imo.
It's still an unimaginably horrible place but I'm a wimp. I've never been anywhere near Kerobokan, I stay away from the cities, but most tourists don't get far from the airport and the crime.
Inside Bali's 'Hotel Kerobokan' - The Bali Times

Money changes everything, I believe that is why her sentence was short and how she got out early. As far as phones, drugs, and lovers in prison, Heather isn't special...
Money there made Heather special. You've said it yourself. Money changes everything. I've been following this case right from the very beginning. I'll check out the link you posted, and thanks. It won't be the first time, I read and saw pics of the Kerobokan Prison... it looked absolutely scary and disgusting back then. I remember the firing squad for the drug traffickers, etc.,

I sure was hoping Heather would suffer some for killing her mother. What I saw was Heather living the good life in a prison. Take a look at some of the pics of her in prison. I know the men have it tougher, but I've also seen Tommy painting and getting some creative time in. So, it's not all that bad, especially if you have connections and some money. That's not much different than American prisons.

All I'm saying is don't put anything past Heather because she's nasty, knows how to work a system, and is very resourceful. Hopefully, she'll be apprehended and prosecuted when she arrives in the USA.

Last edited:
Money there made Heather special. You've said it yourself. Money changes everything. I've been following this case right from the very beginning. I'll check out the link you posted, and thanks. It won't be the first time, I read and saw pics of the Kerobokan Prison... it looked absolutely scary and disgusting back then. I remember the firing squad for the drug traffickers, etc.,

I sure was hoping Heather would suffer some for killing her mother. What I saw was Heather living the good life in a prison. Take a look at some of the pics of her in prison. I know the men have it tougher, but I've also seen Tommy painting and getting some creative time in. So, it's not all that bad, especially if you have connections and some money. That's not much different than American prisons.

All I'm saying is don't put anything past Heather because she's nasty, knows how to work a system, and is very resourceful. Hopefully, she'll be apprehended and prosecuted when she arrives in the USA.
I don't know what will happen, I don't think anyone knows at this point.

Mack’s fear of being incarcerated in the US appears to be the reason she is petitioning the High Court in Bali to allow her and Shaeffer’s daughter Stella to remain in Bali for another year after she is deported. Stella, who is now six years old, was born at Kerobokan Prison and is now the ward of Australian-Balinese woman Oshar Putu Melody Suartama, who declined to comment for this story.

The FBI did not respond to inquiries about any plans they may have to arrest Mack in the US. The Ministry of Law and Human Rights in Indonesia that oversees the country’s courts and prisons also refused to say if it had been contacted by legal authorities in the US about Mack’s pending release.

Elliot Jacobson, the official media liaison for the Wiese family in the US told news.com.au, “we don’t want to discuss or speculate on what should happen to Heather Mack as we believe we should let the criminal case, if there is one, play out without our intervention.”
Bali suitcase killer Heather Mack to get early release from prison

Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll. Geez, if Heather wasn't street smart enough before, she went to school for it in that prison. Did you read the whole book? It makes me angry to hear prisoners, even here and there, are having a grand ole time. A wild party time. SMH

"With the right contacts and money, prisoners could come and go as they pleased, Bonella said, her account supported by the former inmate."

"While cash-rich prisoners lived it up, penniless ones existed in squalor with not even enough room to stretch out for sleep, and pebble-hard rice to eat, Bonella recounted in her book."

Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll. Geez, if Heather wasn't street smart enough before, she went to school for it in that prison. Did you read the whole book? It makes me angry to hear prisoners, even here and there, are having a grand ole time. A wild party time. SMH

"With the right contacts and money, prisoners could come and go as they pleased, Bonella said, her account supported by the former inmate."

"While cash-rich prisoners lived it up, penniless ones existed in squalor with not even enough room to stretch out for sleep, and pebble-hard rice to eat, Bonella recounted in her book."
Yes, I read it, it's on Kindle.
Some people in there have their own home with a toilet instead of a hole in the ground, hot water bathtubs and flat screen TV, they have more money than Heather.
Gordon Ramsay, the TV chef, had a brother in there for about a year who got caught with a small bag of heroin. Ramsey wouldn't send him money even though he begged him but he managed to get enough together everyday to buy his fix in prison.

...they have more money than Heather.
Gordon Ramsay, the TV chef, had a brother in there for about a year who got caught with a small bag of heroin. Ramsey wouldn't send him money even though he begged him but he managed to get enough together everyday to buy his fix in prison.
I'd hate prison of any kind. Oh, how interesting about Gordon's brother. Sounds like Ramsey got taken one too many times by promising-to-go-clean brother. I watch MASTER CHEF on tv every week. Checked out the current Bali Times, you provided a link, and got to see what's going on there. Covid :( like here. Stay safe and hope you got your vaccinations. :)

I'd hate prison of any kind. Oh, how interesting about Gordon's brother. Sounds like Ramsey got taken one too many times by promising-to-go-clean brother. I watch MASTER CHEF on tv every week. Checked out the current Bali Times, you provided a link, and got to see what's going on there. Covid :( like here. Stay safe and hope you got your vaccinations. :)
OT.
Thank you, I was lucky to get the Pfizer vax. Everyone in my little coastal village is vaccinated, if you refuse the vax, they throw you out of the village.
Indonesia is slow to get vaccines like most poor countries, but 88% of Bali has now had at least one shot, 50% two shots. We got preferential treatment because this is where the tourist money comes and they want to open back up.
The Delta variant is still spreading though. I stay home with my cats, I'm the only guest in my resort, and get food delivered. I haven't seen another westerner in months but the Balinese people are very kind and I'm learning the language.
COVID-19 Vaccination Rate in Bali Has Reached More Than 50 Percent - Indonesia Travel

According to this story, TS did not apply for, therefore has not received, a sentence reduction.

"Schaefer, who is now 30 and serving an 18-year sentence for his part in the murder of Sheila von Wiese Mack, did not apply for a sentence reduction as he does not believe he deserves leniency – despite claiming he was the patsy in Mack’s murderous plan.

Schaefer’s allegations have been corroborated by Mack herself and by text messages they exchanged before the murder in which his ex-girlfriend wrote: “Okay just knock her out. It’ll be so much easier,” and “Literally can’t wait”.

“I am guilty of murder and that is why I am in here,” Shaeffer told me during a series of lengthy interviews at Kerobokan Prison. “I did it along with Heather but my reasons for killing Sheila were different to hers. She had an objective and I was emotionally tagged along. “I don’t want to sound like a crybaby or a b**ch or that I am not a man, but I was emotionally tricked. God only knows the sorts of mind games and tricks I went through at the time, which is why I helped kill her mother.”

There is more about him in the story. Honestly, sounds too sappy to be true to me. ‘Psychopath’ Bali suitcase killer freed

Many parents in the US lose their parental rights due to incarceration. I actually think the law there is more liberal when it comes to parental rights as she was allowed to keep her baby in prison with her until age two.

HM’s situation is compounded by the immigration issues. She’s being deported. She lost her ability to emigrate there. So unless they allow her to remain while she fights what might be a lengthy custody battle and/or parental fitness battle- and without the funds to effectively do so- she might have to leave before custody is decided so she won’t be around to fight for custody.

It’s difficult to separate a child from their parents in the US. But is already separated from her child and has been for four years due to her incarceration. She hasn’t been a parent to the child for four years.

In the US it is common (depending on jurisdiction) that people who lost their kids due to incarceration have a super hard time getting them back. And if they’re not here legally and get deported? Often the kids are adopted out, against the parents’ will.

Good points.

Heather Mack, imprisoned in mother's 'suitcase murder' in Bali, to be released early

Oct. 6, 2021, 5:34 AM MDT / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A Chicago woman convicted of assisting her boyfriend in her mother’s murder and stuffing the body in a suitcase on Indonesia’s resort island of Bali in 2014 is being released early from a 10-year sentence, a prison official confirmed Wednesday.

Heather Mack, who was 18 when she was arrested a day after the discovery of Sheila von Wiese-Mack’s body in the trunk of a taxi parked near the St. Regis Bali Resort, will be freed and deported to the United States on Oct. 29, said Lili, the Kerobokan Female Prison chief.

I think US officials and her attorney will be waiting for HM in US. Not sure about arrest warrant though. It's unlikely she'll be accompanied by daughter. I'm interested in learning how the inheritance will be managed. I believe once deported from Indonesia, she can't return.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonderPony
Back