IL IL - Stanley Skridla, 28, & Mary Jane Reed, 17, Oregon, 1948

but since they found her body the day after she was killed I wouldnt think it would be in that bad of a state of decomposition.
heck from what I read about the exhumation its still not in that bad a shape for one thats been buried since 1948.

kline, they found her date, Stanley Skridla's body the day after they were killed. Mary Jane wasn't found until June 29th, 5 days after they went out on their date. I posted a link below for an article from the Rockford Register Star that verifies those details.

You're right about her body being in relatively good shape after the exhumation though. Apparently it was in remarkable shape for being buried 50+ years by the time it was exhumed. But it was probably somewhat decomposed back in 1948 after 5 days. :)

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1136594908

They found her body 4 1/2 days after she disappeared. I'm not sure whether she was killed right away or not, but from the articles I read from back then, they said there was quite a bit of decomp. Not to be gross, but the way that she was found under the brush was that a truck driver for a nearby construction co. had pulled over to talk to another driver and followed the smell.

Sorry Mary Beth, I didn't read your response before posting.

Mary Jane Reed Murder Investigation Update

A 60-year quest is still ongoing to discover who killed 17-year old Mary Jane Reed and her boyfriend at Lovers Lane just outside Oregon. Now Reed's survivors are turning to the feds to prove there was a cover up in the investigation.

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/44033912.html

And this from the Chicago Tribune...

1948 double slaying: Restaurateur Michael Arians asks U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald to probe 2006 investigation

The Oregon, Ill., restaurateur whose decade-long effort to solve a 1948 double murder has had his fill of local and state authorities and is asking the U.S. attorney for help.

Michael Arians, who served as Oregon mayor in the 1990s, maintains that Ogle County authorities have been less than forthcoming in turning over to him and Warren Reed, one victim's sole surviving sibling, critical information uncovered after the body of Mary Jane Reed was exhumed in 2005.

Reed, 17, and her date, Stanley Skridla, 28, a Navy veteran from Rockford, were shot to death on June 25, 1948.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-reed-30-apr30,0,489707.story

HOw sad, it looks like they wont be finding her killer.

HOw sad, it looks like they wont be finding her killer.

It is sad. Her brother promised their mother on her deathbed that he would not stop until he found her killer. That's why he pursued it so much. But I think from all I've read, that a member of the Sheriff Dept. was responsible for the murders, at least that's the strongest belief held by many who live there. If that's the case, they'll never solve it because the Sheriff's Dept. will protect him forever, even though he is now deceased as well.

They found her body 4 1/2 days after she disappeared. I'm not sure whether she was killed right away or not, but from the articles I read from back then, they said there was quite a bit of decomp.

"Quite a bit" would likely be an understatement :(

Her body was left to stew in summer heat for almost five days, I can tell from very recent personal experience that there was likely not much left of her at that point and what was left was not pretty to look at.

An elderly man who was living alone in an apartment complex owned by my father passed away in his sleep somewhere around last August 10. He was a very quiet fellow who kept to himself, had his groceries delivered and rarely ventured out. According to other tenants he may have had about 5 visitors during the 20-odd years he'd been living there and had no known family, in fact his body is still in a fridge at the Coroner's, unclaimed. He wasn't poor or anything (bank account balance was well into the six-figures), just a bit of a hermit, an eccentric. Because of his reclusive lifestyle no one noticed anything was wrong until a horrid stench started to waft out of his balcony door which had been left open. I was the one who had the unpleasant task of checking on him and what I saw in his room well, I'm not about to forget. This happened in the middle of the summer's worst heatwave and his AC was off... heat inside was oppressive, the stench was foulest smell I have ever been exposed to (I threw up, it was a gut reaction). The body was bloated, blackened, putrid and crawling with maggots, thanks to the open door. Hundreds of flies and wasps were flying about the room.

The body looked nothing like the man had when he was alive and I doubt that Mary Jane Reed's was in any better shape. There is no way a funeral director could have redressed her so the fact that she was buried in the clothes she was wearing is perfectly understandable. Like others have said the most likely scenario is that the funeral director didn't have the heart to tell the family about the shape of the corpse and accepted the new clothes. It was obviously a case of closed casket funeral so no one would know, and they put the clothes in the vault along with the casket. Perhaps wrapping them in newsprint was a bit odd but since they thought no one would ever see them again it was no big deal.

There are plenty of oddities with this case but the clothes in the vault, at least, are easy to explain.

It is sad. Her brother promised their mother on her deathbed that he would not stop until he found her killer. That's why he pursued it so much. But I think from all I've read, that a member of the Sheriff Dept. was responsible for the murders, at least that's the strongest belief held by many who live there. If that's the case, they'll never solve it because the Sheriff's Dept. will protect him forever, even though he is now deceased as well.

I would be inclined to think that if the killer was with the Sheriff's he won't necessarily be protected forever. The individual or individuals involved in a possible coverup will eventually die off and emotional attachment to secrecy will fade away. People possibly involved in wrongdoing are now very old but still, they don't want to go to jail. Once they're gone there will be no one left to protect from justice.

I agree Karlk. My husband shot himself and we didn't find him for 4 days. The funeral director was unable to embalm him and "of course" it was a closed casket. They did ask me to bring a suit, I guess I never really questioned if they put it on him though! :waitasec: He did look at me funny (and sadly) when I asked if I needed to bring shoes. The answer was no.

In a small tight knit community even when those with direct involvement die, I doubt anyone will ever come forward willingly. Family ties, loyalty and a sense of what's done is done will keep it wrapped up unless evidence could be found to force it.

I agree Karlk. My husband shot himself and we didn't find him for 4 days. The funeral director was unable to embalm him and "of course" it was a closed casket. They did ask me to bring a suit, I guess I never really questioned if they put it on him though! :waitasec: He did look at me funny (and sadly) when I asked if I needed to bring shoes. The answer was no.

I am sorry about your husband :(

I would think that nowadays even badly decomposed bodies are undressed if an autopsy or even just a cursory examination is to be performed, but obviously they can't be re-dressed by the funeral director. Clothes wouldn't fit and there is no point anyway, since the body won't be seen by anyone. But funeral directors are diplomatic people, asking the family to provide nice clothes is a soothing gesture, a way to have survivors think of the deceased in his/her Sunday's best.

In a small tight knit community even when those with direct involvement die, I doubt anyone will ever come forward willingly. Family ties, loyalty and a sense of what's done is done will keep it wrapped up unless evidence could be found to force it.

That's true but maybe some day someone with no links whatsoever with the case will get elected Sheriff and will bow to public pressure or just out of plain curiosity. But it has to come from the Sheriff's Dept itself since they are the ones causing obstruction. I understand the current Sheriff himself is likely not to blame, but those pressuring him from within to back off will eventually go away.

Of course if Arians himself ever runs for and gets elected Sheriff... that would be interesting.

I would be inclined to think that if the killer was with the Sheriff's he won't necessarily be protected forever. The individual or individuals involved in a possible coverup will eventually die off and emotional attachment to secrecy will fade away. People possibly involved in wrongdoing are now very old but still, they don't want to go to jail. Once they're gone there will be no one left to protect from justice.

Maybe not forever. Indeed, IF it was a member of the Sheriff's Dept. who was guilty, I can see a small tight-knit community, like smudgitt mentioned in her post, keeping it secret for many more years. It's already been 61 years. Even if they had a new recruit in the Sheriff's Dept. who knew about it and wanted to "do the right thing" for the sake of the families of Mary Jane Reed and Stanley Skridla, I still can't see them coming right out and pointing the finger at the guilty party. They really do protect each other in small-town LE agencies.

They really do protect each other in small-town LE agencies.

Indeed they do but the position of Sheriff is an elective office open to candidates from all over the county, not just Oregon. There are chances that someone having no ties whatsoever with the event and a new team might decide to get to the bottom of things, assuming there is interest. However I believe that indifference or lack of resources, rather than conspiracy, might come in the way of reopening the case.

I'm trying to remember which road it was that the car was found on and at the present time am unable to recall. Seems to me though that it was an out of the way gravel road. If it's the road I'm thinking of, the chances of another vehicle being out there on the same night seem quite odd. I think there is only one or two farms on it if I'm remembering it right. Not a road that would have a high volume of traffic.

Farrell Funeral Home is still an operating business. I wonder how a person would go about finding out whether someone from LE was either related to or in some other way connected to anyone there.

The part about her dress and slip being found wrapped in newspapers containing articles of their murder is beyond strange. I cannot for the life of me make sense of why they would not have buried her in the clothing provided by her family and that the family would not have noticed, unless it was closed casket.

Seems the more we find out about this one, the more questions we are left with instead of the other way around.

If it was a closed casket, as you suggested it may have been, I have to wonder if the funeral home had someone who simply took some short cuts. Maybe the explanation for the clothes being placed in the casket was simply human laziness. But, the fact that the clothes were wrapped in newspaper articles about the murder is beyond bizarre,no matter how many times I roll it around in my brain - could the funeral home worker have been reading the newspaper, was given the clothes, and instead of dressing her in them he/she grabbed the first thing at hand - the newspaper - wrapped the clothes in it, and figured nobody would know since the casket was closed?? This is definitely one of the strangest cases ever.

If it was a closed casket, as you suggested it may have been, I have to wonder if the funeral home had someone who simply took some short cuts. Maybe the explanation for the clothes being placed in the casket was simply human laziness.

In itself the fact that it was a closed casket funeral (personally I haven't a sliver of doubt that it was closed casket for obvious reasons) removes most of the mystery surrounding the presence of the clothes in the vault. I believe the funeral home took the clothes even though they knew they couldn't use them as a diplomatic gesture to spare the family any mention of the bad shape the corpse was in. The family obviously knew, since it was closed casket, that the body wasn't in pristine shape. But no competent funeral director would refuse the clothes by saying they wouldn't fit a bloated corpse, IMHO. Better to give the impression that the body may not be as damaged as it actually is.

As for the way the clothes were disposed of, it may or may not be due to laziness. Maybe someone just didn't feel like opening the casket to put the clothes inside, because the corpse was not a pretty sight. At least they put them in the vault, when they could just as well have burned them if they were convinced no one would know.

But, the fact that the clothes were wrapped in newspaper articles about the murder is beyond bizarre,no matter how many times I roll it around in my brain - could the funeral home worker have been reading the newspaper, was given the clothes, and instead of dressing her in them he/she grabbed the first thing at hand - the newspaper - wrapped the clothes in it, and figured nobody would know since the casket was closed?? This is definitely one of the strangest cases ever.
Like mentioned before, Oregon is a very small town. At the time of the funeral any local newspaper would have featured the double murder story prominently. In this light the fact that her clothes were wrapped in a paper mentioning the case is no big surprise, and could very well have been a coincidence. In fact it probably was.

As for not dressing the body in the clothes given by the family the explanation is quite simple: they wouldn't fit. A body left outdoors to decompose for over 4 days in summer will be much larger than it was in life because it's bloated by decomp gases.

I don't see anything abnormal about the funeral and burial. Can't say the same about the investigation though, there definitely was -and apparently still is- something fishy going on at the Sheriff's Dept.

I only bring that site up because of the newspaper section. The rest is a bunch of psychic stuff, which I am sorry I don't believe in. But I thought perhaps one of the newspaper articles could provide some sort of clue that may have been overlooked.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missTaken16
Back