IL - Trash chute claims second victim in year in Chicago Gold Coast high rise

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Apr 2, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Elderly woman found dead at the bottom of her building's trash chute just
    one year after a teenage boy died accidentally falling down the same disposal

(Daily Mail)
    details and video at the link above

2. Loading...

3. georgiagirl

georgiagirl Opinionated Southern Belle

4. gooniequeen

gooniequeen New Member

hmmmm i grew up in NYC. one would really have to try to maneuver them self into a garbage shoot. think angle of a US postal mailbox.

5. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

depends on the chute and its design. I know the style you speak of gooniequeen, and agree, that style, it would take some work.

If it is simply a door that opens to a long drop to the basement I could see it, but a "chute" style chute is more like what I think you and I are imagining, and yeah, that is a tough one to see as an accident. Because the style of chute I am picturing has a door that door is hinged at the bottom and has a metal plate along the bottom which the items are deposited into - closing the door swings the items into the chute area allowing them to drop from the metal bottom plate which held them when the door was in the open position.

One question I do have regardless of the style of chute we are talking about here is, if this chute has already claimed one life a year ago, why was the chute not redesigned or taken out to address the problem then? Why is it still capable of causing harm or death now, today?

I am thinking this may have become a convenient way for someone to die by "accident"

6. Kaliste

Kaliste New Member

How large are these chutes that people can just fall right in? I imagine the "tube" would have to be fairly wide so there arent constant clogs right? how are clogs handled? that would have to be one large poking stick! Are they in each apartment or one per floor? Do they have locks? I can imagine small children would be fascinated by something like that, mine would at least!

I've never lived anywhere with one (never even seen one! had to google for a general idea) so forgive my questions if they seem obvious.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Chicago Tribune (with WGN video):
    much more here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...te-fall-neighborhood-20130401,0,6289965.story