Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.
~snipped~

Matthew M. Long, 21, of Joliet was identified Thursday as the victim, according to the Will County coroner's office. The positive identification was made forensically by dental comparisons, authorities said.

~snipped~

Hello, I've only been reading this forum, 1st post to ask if this statement means that there was indeed a skull found? I thought only torso, etc.
TIA...nomad

Hi Nomad,

The body found floating in the river on May 5th evidently still had a head. We didn't know about this body until Paintr posted her link yesterday {?}.

The remains found on May 20 did not have a head. They are unidentified as to date, as are the 2 bones found on May 23rd upriver from the May 20th find.

Now that I think about it, there were a few links after the May 20th find that talked about the ME using dental info to ID the remains, and we couldn't figure that one out because the remains were headless. It was rather confusing.

I bet IMO, and MOO, that the journos were confused too. LOL I also think LE had some direction in the reporting of all these remains to use it to their advantage ~ to see what reaction there would be from Drew. xox

Just had to say Hi Animal :blowkiss: Hope this case picks up again quickly. Maybe this week we'll get results on the DNA for the May 20th remains. xox

Thanks scandi! I totally agree with your opinion that LE is very strategically minded in what information they release. Cheers!...nomad

Rest in Peace Matthew, prayers for your family during their time of grief.

Scandi I'm confused. How many different bodies have they said were found within the finds? 2 or 3? So with the identity of Matthew are we waiting on ID on 1 or 2 more?

TIA

http://www.wbbm780.com/Long--anxious-wait-goes-on-for-families-of-missing/4509381

CHICAGO (WBBM) - The families of two missing Illinois men tell Newsradio 780 that the remains found along the Des Plaines River are not those of their loved ones.

The wait goes on for the families of John Spira and Bradley Olsen.

Both men disappeared in early 2007. Olsen, from DeKalb County, and Spira, from West Chicago.

Jesse Warren Ross Missing since: November 21, 2006 Last Seen: Sheraton Hotel and Towers in Chicago,\

i believe this person is from Kansas at the time of his disappearance in Chicago......just speculation, nothing confirm or for certain.
possible the second set found, not the remains from the 20th......but uncertain.
for all we know, that property could have been a dumping ground, and the remains are being found now...........ALL MOO.

Rest in Peace Matthew, prayers for your family during their time of grief.

Scandi I'm confused. How many different bodies have they said were found within the finds? 2 or 3? So with the identity of Matthew are we waiting on ID on 1 or 2 more?

TIA

Me too :confused:, at least I was until I read Paintr's link. This is how I interpret that link with the dates. I'm hoping our Mod will give her opinion too:

1} May 5, 2009
A body found floating in the river
IDENTIFIED as man gone missing April 30th, 2009, Matthew Long
Media never reported this find to public that I saw
ID'ed with dental charts so head was in place

2} May 20, 2009
Remains found at edge of river by clean-up crew
As yet UNIDENTIFIED
Reported in media as partial remains
Missing head so no dental ID, however mistakenly reported by media

3} May 23, 2009
Two bones found approx 1 mile upstream from May, 20 find by cleaners
As yet UNIDENTIFIED
Reported by media that investigators taken to scene by Dow employee

That's the list so far. It is unfortunate that the media didn't report the find on May 5th as it has caused a bit of confusion.

The media reported the body/remains :confused: found had no connection to either Stacy or Lisa. No wonder as it was an entirely different find, only 5-6 days dead. Interesting it was reported as this, and the thought is there it was directed so by LE to get a reaction from Drew. IMO

Hope that doesn't sound too elemental and hope everything is correct as we know it so far.

I still think this could be one body, putting the finds of the 20th and 23rd together as the two bones were some the other find of the 20th was missing. One person IMO. We shall see! IMO

Hi Nomad,

The body found floating in the river on May 5th evidently still had a head. We didn't know about this body until Paintr posted her link yesterday {?}.

The remains found on May 20 did not have a head. They are unidentified as to date, as are the 2 bones found on May 23rd upriver from the May 20th find.

Now that I think about it, there were a few links after the May 20th find that talked about the ME using dental info to ID the remains, and we couldn't figure that one out because the remains were headless. It was rather confusing.

I bet IMO, and MOO, that the journos were confused too. LOL I also think LE had some direction in the reporting of all these remains to use it to their advantage ~ to see what reaction there would be from Drew. xox

Hi Scandi. Wow I'm confused and just read all this. That makes sense about the dental records then. But are the bones found on the 20th and the 23rd connected? Sorry if it's already been determined and I missed it. So there have been 3 separate finds? How crazy is that? :waitasec:

Hi Scandi. Wow I'm confused and just read all this. That makes sense about the dental records then. But are the bones found on the 20th and the 23rd connected? Sorry if it's already been determined and I missed it. So there have been 3 separate finds? How crazy is that? :waitasec:

I am as confused as you are. Maybe some of the remains found will turn out to be Stacy afterall?

It's just so strange that there is no coverage on the supposed second set of remains? I wonder what is going on

It's just so strange that there is no coverage on the supposed second set of remains? I wonder what is going on
I don't understand it either. The suspense is palatable, I know that.

Sure hope we hear something more in the very near future. I just wish we knew if the fact that we haven't heard more was a good thing or not........

Hi Breanna, We haven't heard yet if the bones from the 20th and 23rd are connected.

The only thing we have heard of that has been ID'ed so far that I have read is the body found floating in the river on May 5th. He was only dead for 5 days when found. Or to clarify that, was last seen on April 30th.

BTW, I think he had been dead for 5 days, as after the 4th day gasses start building up in the body which would have brought him up to the surface {if he wasn't hooked up on anything in the river. xox

Interesting article about this river and another case that is unresolved.

Eight cases since '68
The Hanging Man is one of eight unidentified cases dating back to 1968 for the coroner's office. O'Neil said deputy coroners have been working to get DNA from all of the skeletons, most of whom were homicide victims.
"They were found after the bodies had been exposed too long to provide any clue to their identity," he said. On May 20, a barge crew working on the Des Plaines River came across a man's remains near Channahon.

"He'll most likely be added to that list," O'Neil said.

Anyone who may know the identity of The Hanging Man can call the coroner's office at 815-727-8455 or Will County Forest Preserve Police at 815-722-8359.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1604331,4_1_JO03_HANGMAN_S1-090603.article

That is so depressing to me. We have the means to match the remains, we have fingerprints and DNA and dental records to help make matches. There are ways to do reconstructions and other ways to find info from the unid'd bodies. Yet even with all of that, they are unable to get an ID for that guy. Also depressing is that they have 8 cases since 1968.

Per the article Coroner O'Neil says:

"They were found after the bodies had been exposed too long to provide any clue to their identity,"

and that is the third depressing thing. Because with every month that Stacy isn't located we are month closer to that for her.

Interesting article about this river and another case that is unresolved.

Eight cases since '68
The Hanging Man is one of eight unidentified cases dating back to 1968 for the coroner's office. O'Neil said deputy coroners have been working to get DNA from all of the skeletons, most of whom were homicide victims.
"They were found after the bodies had been exposed too long to provide any clue to their identity," he said. On May 20, a barge crew working on the Des Plaines River came across a man's remains near Channahon.

"He'll most likely be added to that list," O'Neil said.

Anyone who may know the identity of The Hanging Man can call the coroner's office at 815-727-8455 or Will County Forest Preserve Police at 815-722-8359.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1604331,4_1_JO03_HANGMAN_S1-090603.article
So are they saying that the remains that they found on May 20 will likely not be identified? These are the remains we were hoping might give clues to Stacy or Lisa, no?

I believe the "hanging man" man case is unrelated as he ws found out in Crete, IL. in a forrest preserve. The only way to ID people who are, othrewise unidentifiable is through DNA, Dental records, or if there is sufficient skin left, fingerprints. The problem is, if the person hasn't been printed, typed or been to a dentist, what are you going to compare the results/samples to. The only way to do this is to take a DNA sample of everyone in the U.S. and at birth of every child in the U.S. and place them into the system for comparison.

I believe the "hanging man" man case is unrelated as he ws found out in Crete, IL. in a forrest preserve. The only way to ID people who are, othrewise unidentifiable is through DNA, Dental records, or if there is sufficient skin left, fingerprints. The problem is, if the person hasn't been printed, typed or been to a dentist, what are you going to compare the results/samples to. The only way to do this is to take a DNA sample of everyone in the U.S. and at birth of every child in the U.S. and place them into the system for comparison.

That is why it is so important that if a family member should go missing that family should make sure (pushing if necessary) to gather and submit any DNA containing materials, dental records and give an accurate description of any tattoos and birthmarks and so forth.

If no DNA is available, the family can sometimes submit DNA from a blood relative and submit that. There is now a national database and families need to make sure that their loved ones info is in the database.
http://www.namus.gov/

*snip*

"He'll most likely be added to that list," O'Neil said. *end snip*
But I"m talking about this part. It specifically mentions remains found during the May 20 search. The way I'm reading this is that it has already been determined to be those of a male and they have no idea who this might be. Is that what they are saying to all of you?

But I"m talking about this part. It specifically mentions remains found during the May 20 search. The way I'm reading this is that it has already been determined to be those of a male and they have no idea who this might be. Is that what they are saying to all of you?

TallCoolOne, I read it the same way as you. I also wonder if they've tried the DNA against what there is in the national database already, but I could be reading too much into the article.

Hi everyone. While I haven't been reading much and don't know what's really going on....I'm more convinced then ever that there was some confusion in the media reporting of these body finds.

I read on another forum and this forum has information that I trust. Nowhere are they talking about remains that haven't been identified that could be Stacy's. These people know Stacy's family and the searchers that still actively look for her. It's just not there. While this is confusing, I think media would have been all over this. Unless...they know something and aren't saying? That's also a possibilty. But no...I think the current waiting is in vain. JMHO.

Bad reporting from the get go is what I'm thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie