I'm so angry part 2

I agree Cynder. It's just a terrible situation all around. Don't tell the cops....but I would've used one of those incoming lanes anyway. I'm proactive usually, not reactive. Hell with the traffic fine.

cynder said:
The nursing home was offered evacuation (vehicles were sent and refused) before the storm and they refused. When the waters started to rise about 25 people were floated out and saved - the rest died along with the caretaker who stayed with them.
So they HAD a plan and the nursing home refused evacuation.
As to the hospitals, they too had a plan - and generators, and supplies. Most hospitals do NOT evacuate in a Hurricane - many patients too ill for moving them. The ultimate responsibility is the hospital's, not the State's.

Emphasis mine - do you have a link to where it says they were offered and refused evacuation help?? Thanks, Cynder!! :blowkiss:

Not to change the subject, but disasters often lead to scams & abuse of the system, and the government throwing money into the chasm, in an effort to stem the tide of screams from the poor. The idea of issuing $2000 debit cards to every family?, every adult?, one card to each address?--whichever it was planned to be, is another one of those idiotic efforts. In this situation of complete confusion, and pandemonium, this is akin to the looting of all of the stores in New Orleans, only this time it is the government money store that will be looted. This was an idea of Mike Brown of FEMA. As we know, Mike Brown and FEMA haven't looked too good, in this time of crisis, and that is putting it mildly, so, is this dumb & dumber move, supposed to ingratiate Mike & FEMA to anyone?? Not that the families don't need, or shouldn't be provided with, relief, but this won't accomplish its original intent. What has been done, is to create yet another way for abuse to run rampant.

less0305 said:
I agree Cynder. It's just a terrible situation all around. Don't tell the cops....but I would've used one of those incoming lanes anyway. I'm proactive usually, not reactive. Hell with the traffic fine.
I am with you on this one! Me and a car full of critters (or even 2 cars full, lol). My husband's favorite saying when bucking the status quo is "better to ask forgiveness than permission". He is usually right - I cringe and crawl under available furniture sometimes, but he usually manages to do exactly what he intended to do - and well ahead of the masses who "follow the rules" too. Neither of us has what you would call a "herd" mentality - but he seems to be able to buck the system more overtly than I. We make a good team. I can promise you OUR family (furry and shelled and even finned) would have been OUTTA THERE, even if we had to walk out.
And yes, we have our tornado shelter equipped, ready and waiting and even the indoor turts get brought inside it at the 1st warning. When we hit the shelter all the indoor critters are already in there crated. I grew up in OK - you don't mess with Mother Nature - she will win every time. I ain't temptin' fate.

txsvicki said:
I just read over in another forum that Barbara Bush said that since the survivors were already so poor, they are doing pretty well in the Astrodome. Does anyone know if this is true, if she really said that?
Here's the remark, followed by the context:

Mrs. Bush, after touring the Astrodome complex in Houston on Monday, said: "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." She commented during a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace."

~~~~~~

"...... McClellan said: "I think that the observation is based on someone or some people that were talking to her that were in need of a lot of assistance, people that have gone through a lot of trauma and been through a very difficult and trying time. And all of a sudden, they are now getting great help in the state of Texas from some of the shelters."

The people under the dome are receiving housing, jobs, cash, insurance claim and legal information, education programs, everything they need to start a new life. I would imagine it is a step up for many of them.

I fail to see what was so bad about Barbara Bush's remark since I've been told these people were so poor they didn't have containers to carry drinking water in. :rolleyes:

Ntegrity said:
I fail to see what was so bad about Barbara Bush's remark since I've been told these people were so poor they didn't have containers to carry drinking water in. :rolleyes:
OKay. I don't get what's wrong about her comments either. Am I missing something?

Ntegrity said:
I don't have any problem with what she said. After all, didn't we hear for days that these people were too poor to buy gas, food or water before the hurricane?

SieSie said:
Emphasis mine - do you have a link to where it says they were offered and refused evacuation help?? Thanks, Cynder!! :blowkiss:
Front Page, Dallas Morning News Today
"When St. Bernard Parish officials realized last week that St. Rita's Nursing Home had not evacuated as Hurricane Katrina bore down, they called to ask why. Their offer to send buses to help was turned down, they said. On Wednesday, officials were still unsure of the number of people who died there, but previous estimates put the toll at 30 or more. The high water mark in the building reached a foot shy of the ceiling. "
http://www.dallasnews.com/index.html

JBean said:
OKay. I don't get what's wrong about her comments either. Am I missing something?
mmmm, I think it may be her last name that bugs most people. :D

Ntegrity said:

;)

And, knowing how my long dissertations can be misconstrued re intent, etc. here, in writing...wait til ya hear me do public speaking when I'm nervous! I'd hate to be thrown to the wolves on EVERY SINGLE WORD...

What was her intent, true feelings? I dunno. But I can see how a lot of it is true, many may very well be better off. Maybe some won't. Don't think she said ALL.

Ntegrity said:
:bang:
OKay, but isn;t what she said the truth? I really want to know.

Larkit said:
Here's the remark, followed by the context:

Mrs. Bush, after touring the Astrodome complex in Houston on Monday, said: "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." She commented during a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace."

~~~~~~

"...... McClellan said: "I think that the observation is based on someone or some people that were talking to her that were in need of a lot of assistance, people that have gone through a lot of trauma and been through a very difficult and trying time. And all of a sudden, they are now getting great help in the state of Texas from some of the shelters."

The people under the dome are receiving housing, jobs, cash, insurance claim and legal information, education programs, everything they need to start a new life. I would imagine it is a step up for many of them.

LOL...context is a beautiful thing!

People at the Dome are receiving HELP unlike the city they left where the poor were told to bring their OWN food and water to the Superdome.

cynder said:
"When St. Bernard Parish officials realized last week that St. Rita's Nursing Home had not evacuated as Hurricane Katrina bore down, they called to ask why. Their offer to send buses to help was turned down, they said. On Wednesday, officials were still unsure of the number of people who died there, but previous estimates put the toll at 30 or more. The high water mark in the building reached a foot shy of the ceiling. "

Wow, thanks Cynder, for providing where the info came from. This is just appalling and senseless. I don't understand it at all.

cynder said:

Hi cynder

Here's a NYTIMES article on St Rita's

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/national/nationalspecial/07chalmette.html

TexMex said:

It says there were 8 (yes EIGHT) vehicles left parked in the parking lot and electric wheelchairs at the doors. They had time to put boards on the windows and take other measures to hold out flood water too.
What is wrong with these people? They had warnings, means and transportation RIGHT THERE, turned down alternate evacuation offered and 32 people drowned!
This just shows that no matter what the state and federal officials do, some people REFUSE to heed warnings and even reject assistance. And these are trained, aware, professional people who should be held to a higher standard - this is not a case of someone illiterate, out of touch person who didn't "know" better.

cynder said:
It says there were 8 (yes EIGHT) vehicles left parked in the parking lot and electric wheelchairs at the doors. They had time to put boards on the windows and take other measures to hold out flood water too.
What is wrong with these people? They had warnings, means and transportation RIGHT THERE, turned down alternate evacuation offered and 32 people drowned!
This just shows that no matter what the state and federal officials do, some people REFUSE to heed warnings and even reject assistance. And these are trained, aware, professional people who should be held to a higher standard - this is not a case of someone illiterate, out of touch person who didn't "know" better.

Sometimes, stark reality is painful. That is a sad, sad case.

cynder said:
I am with you on this one! Me and a car full of critters (or even 2 cars full, lol). My husband's favorite saying when bucking the status quo is "better to ask forgiveness than permission". He is usually right - I cringe and crawl under available furniture sometimes, but he usually manages to do exactly what he intended to do - and well ahead of the masses who "follow the rules" too. Neither of us has what you would call a "herd" mentality - but he seems to be able to buck the system more overtly than I. We make a good team. I can promise you OUR family (furry and shelled and even finned) would have been OUTTA THERE, even if we had to walk out.
And yes, we have our tornado shelter equipped, ready and waiting and even the indoor turts get brought inside it at the 1st warning. When we hit the shelter all the indoor critters are already in there crated. I grew up in OK - you don't mess with Mother Nature - she will win every time. I ain't temptin' fate.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cynder said:
It just makes me sick to my stomach. It's one thing if you want to refuse help for yourself because you think you're the super survivor. When you involve your children, other people's children, the ill and the eldery, all of whom don't have a voice, it's akin to murder in my book.

I know this will get me flamed, but if I was there and everyone had left me with many eldery patients that I knew I couldn't save; I would be making up some sleeping syringes. Then, if the water hit and kept coming, at least I would be able to do something for them in their final minutes. Hopefully, there would be a syringe left for me, because I fear drowning and burning as modes of death. :( *with many tears*

JBean said:
I sent my sister an email this am to ask her the 'splain how this should all go down.
I mean I know she gives seminars and conferences on this stuff, so I'm wondering who approves or facilitates the evacuation locations? SOunds like they have to submit an acceptable plan.
I'll let you know what she says , but she's working round the clock.
Also - is it usual for a city or state to just be able to say, "we won't evacuate these places, that's their problem." - I can understand it to a degree for the hospitals to determine how and when and who - but it seems like the state should be providing the resources, making sure everyone gets out - they're citizens just like everyone else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back