Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #115

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mom question keeps coming up and last week I think someone asked something along the lines of if you were BG's mom, would you turn him in?

I'm a mom and I've been thinking it over. There is no easy answer to this because in your heart your child is your little baby that you nursed and bathed and changed and taught how to walk and guided through school and all of the things. Your baby always. That's who your child is in your heart. But at the same time they are their own person and sometimes people do bad things. Sometimes even good people do bad things and certainly bad people do bad things.

I want to say that I would turn my child in if they outright heinously murdered someone innocent. I might do it anonymously, I might do it openly, I am not sure, but I think that I would turn them in. Especially if I knew in my heart of hearts that it wasn't an accident or that it could happen again - I want to believe that I would be compelled to turn my child in. I would certainly struggle with it but in the end it is what I would want someone to do if it were the other way around and my child had been murdered. The golden rule and all.

I would still, of course, love my child forever and I think that is ok. You can still love your child and do the right thing even if it goes against every protective motherly instinct you have.

This has haunted me as well. I pray I would do the right thing but I would have to have dang hard evidence of it. I think I would first hire an attorney to guide me and let him handle the LE notification. Golly what a horrible position that would be. I think the guilt of not doing the right thing would destroy me and certainly would end up destroying any relationship I had with that child. Let's face it any child that would kill 2 innocent people is not going on to have a good life like we so all wish for our children.

Legally speaking, does this make the offender's mother an accessory?

There could be a charge of "Accessory After the Fact" and/or "Obstruction of Justice".

Accessory After The Fact

Definition
"An accessory-after-the-fact is someone who assists 1) someone who has committed a crime, 2) after the person has committed the crime, 3) with knowledge that the person committed the crime, and 4) with the intent to help the person avoid arrest or punishment. An accessory after the fact may be held liable for, among other things, obstruction of justice."

Obstruction of Justice
Obstruction of Justice – Criminal Law

"Generally, obstruction charges are laid when it is discovered that a non-suspect person has lied to the investigating officers. Obstruction charges can also be laid if a person alters or destroys physical evidence, even if s/he was under no compulsion to produce such evidence, at any time.

"Obstruction of justice is a broad concept that extends to any effort to prevent the execution of lawful process or the administration of justice in either a criminal or civil matter."

Someone with the power to steer an investigation involving local Police, State Police and the FBI away from a particular POI and towards another? Hmmmmmm.

Okay, I'll bite. I'd like to know what type of position of power one would be in to steer away LE from a POI. No names, of course. We don't even have to be talking about this case. In any case, who would that person be? Are we talking a Governor of a State?

Okay, I'll bite. I'd like to know what type of position of power one would be in to steer away LE from a POI. No names, of course. We don't even have to be talking about this case. In any case, who would that person be? Are we talking a Governor of a State?
IMOO- someone well known in the area or community who the general public feel is a model citizen and very very trustworthy

Who is going to dupe the local police, ISP, and the FBI.....and send them on a wild goose chase after some scruffy old dude with a hat whilst ignoring the sketch of that young chap with the curly hair?

Somebody in a position to influence the course and direction of the investigation right at the git go.

Somebody in the 'inner circle'? A law enforcement person? A witness?

I was a little confused by what members were discussing up thread
a page or two, but think I have it figured out.

1. C.R. 625 ends and becomes a driveway, that's what is under the bridge. That homeowner was out of town for the Winter season. There is a type of gate by the last house on C.R. 625 which is normally closed and locked that time of year to prevent vehicles from getting down into the gorge on that driveway, and to the house.

2. The old railroad RoW is impassable south of the bridge, it's terribly overgrown. As it gets closer to C.R. 200 it's full of dense vegetation and standing water in the warmer months.

Hope this helps.
This did not happen during the warmer months

If LE had described the vehicle at all I'd agree with you. LE mentioned nothing about the make, model not even a color. I can't see how if (LE suspected) BG was present at the PC mentioning a "vehicle" being at the area would put him on the spot to do anything or react in any way. JMO
Or whether it is a car, truck, motorcycle or whatever. IDK why everybody simply defaults to it being a car.

Who is going to dupe the local police, ISP, and the FBI.....and send them on a wild goose chase after some scruffy old dude with a hat whilst ignoring the sketch of that young chap with the curly hair?

Somebody in a position to influence the course and direction of the investigation right at the git go.

Somebody in the 'inner circle'? A law enforcement person? A witness?
I think the better question is who thinks they duped LE?

I was a little confused by what members were discussing up thread
a page or two, but think I have it figured out.

1. C.R. 625 ends and becomes a driveway, that's what is under the bridge. That homeowner was out of town for the Winter season. There is a type of gate by the last house on C.R. 625 which is normally closed and locked that time of year to prevent vehicles from getting down into the gorge on that driveway, and to the house.

2. The old railroad RoW is impassable south of the bridge, it's terribly overgrown. As it gets closer to C.R. 200 it's full of dense vegetation and standing water in the warmer months.

Hope this helps.
If you google map the area it is amazing how easily BG could have left southward and all the areas he could exit without being seen to end up at a safehouse if you will.

There could be a charge of "Accessory After the Fact" and/or "Obstruction of Justice".

Accessory After The Fact

Definition
"An accessory-after-the-fact is someone who assists 1) someone who has committed a crime, 2) after the person has committed the crime, 3) with knowledge that the person committed the crime, and 4) with the intent to help the person avoid arrest or punishment. An accessory after the fact may be held liable for, among other things, obstruction of justice."

Obstruction of Justice
Obstruction of Justice – Criminal Law

"Generally, obstruction charges are laid when it is discovered that a non-suspect person has lied to the investigating officers. Obstruction charges can also be laid if a person alters or destroys physical evidence, even if s/he was under no compulsion to produce such evidence, at any time.

"Obstruction of justice is a broad concept that extends to any effort to prevent the execution of lawful process or the administration of justice in either a criminal or civil matter."

Thanks to @zencompass for quick research skills at locating this answer via Cornell Law's website, and to @Mike Britton and others for reminding us of just how significant a parent's input in a criminal case can be. Also thanks to @Charlot123 for an amazing variety of information re: DNA, and especially to the posters here on this case who are local/within a few hours away, who have gone to the time and trouble of physically retracing various paths/routes to/from the CS. (This is just a partial thanks, since there are so many who are doing so much...)

These are just a few of the many WS-ers watching this case who have been making practical contributions to the case, and in "real time". LE has in the WS site -- and in the caring, compassionate WS-ers here -- a vast repository of helpful information that will direct this case to its just conclusion. We all are so grateful!

Continuing to pray for LE as they work on this case, as well as for Abby's & Libby's families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44