Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #127

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's possible these exist just as you described but it's just never been detailed by LE. When they examined devices/social media accounts the day the girls went missing, they were looking for exactly this confirmation that the girls really did go to the bridge and not sneak off somewhere else after being dropped off. IMO
It would certainly rank under "girls talk" (like part of the audio) and LE know. IMO

Exactly! Teenage girls don’t not put this
Info out there IMO. I have a teenager who knows more about someone she couldn’t care less about on social media because of snap chat. I don’t believe BG randomly stumbled upon these girls and I don’t believe that girls don’t social media even if only one had a phone. Also MOO
I agree. Teens, especially, check their SM constantly. They know, in real-time, what is being posted by people they follow.

A direct example, in reference to the SC, is from a recollection shared by a friend of LG, in the DTH podcast:

Chapter 1: A Walk On The Bridge - Down The Hill: The Delphi Murders - Omny.fm

It sounds to me, because of her choice of words, that she is speaking about when the SC was posted, as opposed to observing it later. It makes perfect sense to me that many others would have also noticed the SC post, when it was posted.

Therefore, it is stunning to me that the SC post seemingly wasn't known about until much later into the search. AW's mother said she only found out about it after it was already dark out, in her interview with JR (starts at 7:48 mark):

As I've mention before, I can't understand what would even compel LG to share the photo of AW on the bridge. They had to have known it would be a problem when they got home. As stated by her mother, AW would have been grounded for it. Not likely something the two would post about, knowing the consequences. How would they not have known? Perhaps, was the photo a deliberate signal to show they were there (where to find them)?

Views expressed, and questions posed, are just of my personal thoughts or opinions.

Edited: several times, in vain, to try to make video start time work. Added time mark notation instead.

Last edited:
I can imagine how scared they are. The society is pretty judgmental. But between not doing anything and waiting till the perp is arrested (and then having to weather the humongous anger of the community), and turning him in now - I’d rather do it now. Assume he can’t be saved in either case. But at least save their family name.
bbm
I believe, his parents (maybe, his mother only?) have had their secretly apprehensions since years (not only for 3,5 years but much longer) and aren't ready to admit to themselves, that the son can be the killer in cases like Abby/Libby or other cases. To save their name would be the tactic of never saying one single word, neither today nor in the future. I don't think, they might be encouraged to report it. IMO

As I've mention before, I can't understand what would even compel LG to share the photo of AW on the bridge. They had to have known it would be a problem when they got home. As stated by her mother, AW would have been grounded for it. Not likely something the two would post about, knowing the consequences. How would they not have known? Perhaps, was the photo a deliberate signal to show they were there (where to find them)?
bbm
Maybe, it was a requirement from BG. As I have said different times already: Abby doesn't look like her best friend is only taking a nice sunny-February day-freetime-outdoor-photo, but like being a little embarrassed at that moment. In my eyes at least. There has to be a reason for that. IMO

<modsnip: Please do not discuss social media comments. They are considered rumor.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Im still troubled by the girl's desire to go there to begin with. I know these are country girls, I get that ...but I just don't get it... and it bothers me...No dog to walk, bird watching? . no...and the kind of urgency around it..getting a ride, willing to stay only" so long"...and having to get picked up and dropped off .

just so odd how they seemed to be lingering at that end of the bridge as though they were waiting.

sorry it still bugs me ..and of course we really know nothing..mOO
Having spent quite a bit of time in areas that afforded opportunities for hiking, I see nothing troubling about the girls' plan. I went to places like that trail system fairly often when I was Abby and Libby's age—without a dog and without any binoculars for bird watching. Going on a hike is an end in itself when you live or spend time in an area where hiking in a scenic area is a possibility.

Last edited:
Hi, I am rather new to this case and after Reading much about the facts and theories, there is one detail I have not been able to find much about.
The dirt or gravel road that runs below the bridge and right by the South end leading to one of the houses Close to the CS, wouldn’t that have been an obvious place for the killer to have a some sort of vehicle parked? Couldn’t this have been how he entered the area and how he escaped after the crime?
A theory could be that he had a car parked somewhere on the Road and was trying to get the girls to his car to abduct them, then something went wrong, they tried to escape, ran down to the creek and the rest we know.
Since this is to me an obvious theory, I suppose it must have been discussed at some point and ruled out for some reasons, maybe CCTV placed somewhere on that road that could rule out someone coming through that Way either in a car or on foot?
Those of you who has followed this case from the beginning - do you know if/where this has been discussed and point me to that thread? I’d like to learn more about this possibility.

I am troubled too but not with their desire to go there. The day was nice, it feels so good to get outside after a long winter and supposedly there were other teenagers they knew there. After spending more than a quarter of a century working with teenagers there has been one thing that I've never heard mentioned that I has always bugged me. Where is the flurry of texts back and forth between Abby, Libby and the other teenagers who were there? The texts asking who is there, how long are you staying, what are you wearing, we will be there soon, where can you meet us? Did these girls go there with no intention of meeting up with the others? Maybe there were texts back and forth and I've just never seen mention of it. Just watching teenage girls through the years, I know that is the way they operate.
There probably are but LE hasn’t released them for us to see imo.

Any surge in prostitute murders by any chance? If he’s a serial killer, he’s not just going to stop. We should continue to keep an eye on other cases, moo.

Not only that, but maybe, similar elements of the MOD? I looked through Shelbey Thornburgh case yesterday. Different circumstances, but he left the body.

Hi, I am rather new to this case and after Reading much about the facts and theories, there is one detail I have not been able to find much about.
The dirt or gravel road that runs below the bridge and right by the South end leading to one of the houses Close to the CS, wouldn’t that have been an obvious place for the killer to have a some sort of vehicle parked? Couldn’t this have been how he entered the area and how he escaped after the crime?
A theory could be that he had a car parked somewhere on the Road and was trying to get the girls to his car to abduct them, then something went wrong, they tried to escape, ran down to the creek and the rest we know.
Since this is to me an obvious theory, I suppose it must have been discussed at some point and ruled out for some reasons, maybe CCTV placed somewhere on that road that could rule out someone coming through that Way either in a car or on foot?
Those of you who has followed this case from the beginning - do you know if/where this has been discussed and point me to that thread? I’d like to learn more about this possibility.

I don't think this theory has been ruled out based on what is currently known (by us - perhaps LE have ruled it in or out but they haven't shared).

If elements of it are correct, it could explain some of LE's comments like, we think he's local because he had knowledge of how to get around that day. Sgt. Riley said this after the April 19th press conference. I would say that information on how close that road would bring you to the bridge would be info best known by locals (though perhaps not exclusively).

The only thing I would question is, if we theorize that he used the private road beneath the bridge to access the initial contact with the girls, how does the vehicle parked at the CPS building on the day of the crime factor in? LE said the time in question for that vehicle they were seeking was between noon and 5 pm if I recall correctly. Unless he parked there at some point after leaving the crime scene? But then that doesn't explain the time range LE cited.

Not only that, but maybe, similar elements of the MOD? I looked through Shelbey Thornburgh case yesterday. Different circumstances, but he left the body.

I believe that LE have perpetrator DNA in the Shelbey Thornburg case - retrieved from hairs left on her body and also from a condom wrapper. The DNA was not matched in CODIS and the police department at one time said there wasn't funding to do familial analysis though perhaps that has since changed. In any case, her murder, which took place two years before the Delphi murders did, at least has the ability to be connected to other murders in series through DNA linkage.

IMO the only thing similar between Delphi and the Thornburg case is that the offender was coincidentally caught on video. Everything else seems either quite different (victimology, initial contact between offender and victim) or unable to be compared at this time (e.g. cause of death for Delphi).

The case that to me seems a bit similar to Delphi (though the geographic location was very far away) is the murder of Alicia Hummel. She was attacked in an outdoor recreation area in 2015: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AxAB&usg=AOvVaw3CmYom8X-J5CMvXiAKfZ2f&ampcf=1

Having spent quite a bit of time in areas that afforded opportunities for hiking, I see nothing troubling about the girls' plan. I went to places like that trail system fairly often when I was Abby and Libby's age—without a dog and without any binoculars for bird watching. Going on a hike is an end in itself when you live or spend time in an area where hiking in a scenic area is a possibility.
When I was a teen (and pre-teen as well) hiking on trails and playing in wooded areas was very common behavior. One of my friends and I used to “trail blaze” (as we referred to it) and hike off the trails and outside the commonly used park areas. We would find our way through the woods, not content to stay on the marked trails.

We were tomboys, not interested in shopping malls and preferring to spend our free time outdoors.

Im still troubled by the girl's desire to go there to begin with. I know these are country girls, I get that ...but I just don't get it... and it bothers me...No dog to walk, bird watching? . no...and the kind of urgency around it..getting a ride, willing to stay only" so long"...and having to get picked up and dropped off .

just so odd how they seemed to be lingering at that end of the bridge as though they were waiting.

sorry it still bugs me ..and of course we really know nothing..mOO

The urgency?
Kelsi has stated that in Delphi there is not much for kids to do.
Most either hang out at the gas station or go to the trail that includes the Monon High Bridge.
It is common. There are no malls in town. Not much of a downtown area to keep kids interested in.
Libby was an excellent photographer, and that likely was part of it.
Since it was a day off from school, they may have anticipated that other kids would show up as well.

AMOO JMO MOO

The dirt or gravel road that runs below the bridge and right by the South end leading to one of the houses Close to the CS, wouldn’t that have been an obvious place for the killer to have a some sort of vehicle
I don't think this theory has been ruled out based on what is currently known (by us - perhaps LE have ruled it in or out but they haven't shared).

If elements of it are correct, it could explain some of LE's comments like, we think he's local because he had knowledge of how to get around that day. Sgt. Riley said this after the April 19th press conference. I would say that information on how close that road would bring you to the bridge would be info best known by locals (though perhaps not exclusively).

The only thing I would question is, if we theorize that he used the private road beneath the bridge to access the initial contact with the girls, how does the vehicle parked at the CPS building on the day of the crime factor in? LE said the time in question for that vehicle they were seeking was between noon and 5 pm if I recall correctly. Unless he parked there at some point after leaving the crime scene? But then that doesn't explain the time range LE cited.

I still consider the car on the road under the bridge scenario to be possible. In my opinion it could explain a few things, such as how the killer controlled two young teens(he didn’t or not for very long) and why the girls were found on the opposite side of the creek(they were trying to escape). The cons on this scenario are, as you stated, LE’s interest in a car at the old CPS building, and, to me, the houses on the road that connect with the driveway/road. If anyone was home it seems like someone would have noticed some strange car rattling down their road. It would be nice to have a bit more information.

The urgency?
Kelsi has stated that in Delphi there is not much for kids to do.
Most either hang out at the gas station or go to the trail that includes the Monon High Bridge.
It is common. There are no malls in town. Not much of a downtown area to keep kids interested in.
Libby was an excellent photographer, and that likely was part of it.
Since it was a day off from school, they may have anticipated that other kids would show up as well.

AMOO JMO MOO

I agree with this. I think the "urgency" is just that the girls were stir crazy and wanting to get out and do anything. BP has said in many places that the plan Libby originally asked of her that afternoon was for them all to go shopping. So to me, that indicates there were no firm plans to try to get a ride to the bridge until right before it happened.

Just thought I'd mention an arrest of someone from Hancock Co for child molestation. He was found in a small town in Missouri where some of us have been following the disappearance of an elderly woman.

Police say man accused of child molestation apprehended in Missouri | WTTV CBS4Indy

Highly unlikely its related, but just thought I would mention the perp and arrest since he committed his crimes in the general region of that part of IN.

What if the Bridge Guy is someone who took off after the crimes? What if he's someone who is comfortable traveling to small towns and doing his act to fit in with locals?

It won't let me view the article as I'm in the UK! (This happens a lot now) could someone please post a screenshot of the image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member