IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the warrant be sealed because it might have the connecting evidence to the Delphi case and could compromise that case if the information was not sealed?
It could be LE does not want the media to release information before they are ready to.

It is El Paso county where Tim Watkins was murdered. Where did you read there's a sealed warrant? That doesn't sound right.
I thought it was $2k bail for the weapon charge (.22 calibre) and $10k bail for the hatchet menacing plus possibility of further charges also by 16th Oct. MOO

I hope the Public Defender's office has some sharp, energetic lawyers.

Would the warrant be sealed because it might have the connecting evidence to the Delphi case and could compromise that case if the information was not sealed?
You could be right if it had cause of death, details of wounds and the condition and location of the body of the cyclist.

Yes, the tests themselves don't take long, but even if you fast track it you have to wait your turn among all the other fast track cases. Depending on where it's sent, the lab may be understaffed and/or under-equipped--is Colorado a state that has its own lab? There may be paperwork issues and questions of who is going to pay for it.

Everything just takes longer than we would like it to. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I know! That's what is stymying me about this new person of interest. The DNA fast track, especially. He should have been officially elliminated or charged by now, following other similar cases. The news media articles where he is not ruled in or out are def frustrating, to say the least.

It is. There are no other existing warrants that we know about...

I thought it was $2k bail for the weapon charge (.22 calibre) and $10k bail for the hatchet menacing plus possibility of further charges also by 16th Oct. MOO

That article has a lot of issues though. For one, he was arrested September 25th. Since it seems poorly written, although I'd like to believe it, I'm not sure that the quote of the El Paso sheriff's office saying "more charges are forthcoming" isn't an old one. Jacqueline Kirby used the same words last week in this article and several others. I feel that the bicycling article isn't factual.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/28/daniel-nations-double-murder-indiana-el-paso-county/amp/

Other than the typo on the arrest date ( off by 4 days) what are you seeing that isn't " factual"? As far as the quote on more charges expected for DN the article states LE told Bicycling more charges were expected. I wonder why they would say LE told them if LE didn't tell them? Wouldn't multiple MSM articles stating the same info bolster the possible validity of " more charges are expected".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is surprising to me how many days have gone by, without a confirmation from either jurisdiction (Colorado or Indiana) on a hit. That doesn't look good, IMO, that this person of interest is involved in any major crime. All I can think is some wrangling is going on behind the scenes, and perhaps other unsolved crimes being linked. Remaining. Hopeful.

Still, no mention of the FBI helping, or linking, the CO and IN crimes- are the rest of the sleuthers here seeing anything differently?
Perhaps if ballistics or hatchet (blood and wounds) are showing a possible link to both murders perhaps they have to work out who gets to trial first, CO or IN? Also the car may have transfer DNA in it from either of the murders too.

I'm not sure that DN is involved because he is mentally unstable and maybe he have burst of anger. I do not think he can plan cold- blooded murders.

I don't think he is mentally ill........not by judicial standards anyway. Countless convicted defendants have had some kind of mental disorder yet were very capable of carrying out their heinous crimes. Many who did.... did so with careful planning and aforethought.

Although I am not sure how much planning he would have to do in either case. If he is BG and the murderer of the girls, sex offenders are often prepared in case they see an opportunity to strike.

I have read many articles over the years how some sex offenders are always on the prowl looking for their next victim. They will have what they need with them in case they see a victim/s vulnerable and alone. Such as zip ties, ropes, duct tape, and menacing weapons such as a knife or bludgeoning weapon or a gun or all of them.

As far as TW he was ambushed while riding his bike, imo. Planning wouldn't be required nor necessary for him to commit a cold blooded murder. Although if DN is the murderer of TW all he had to do is lay in wait. If so, that would be a premeditated cold blooded homicide.

Yes. But what I think/feel is that the article has an old quote. I believe that quote is only from Kirby on the days after his initial arrest. The cycling article is poorly written because it seems they didn't state when they interviewed her. I don't know if they did. It almost seems they recycled her older quote, which is before they filed the menacing and harassment charges. She used the word "forthcoming" before those were filed, unless I'm missing something and she was re-interviewed. I'm not trying to be snotty towards the cycling author. That article is just really poor in its information.

Other than the typo on the arrest date ( off by 4 days) what are you seeing that isn't " factual"? As far as the quote on more charges expected for DN the article states LE told Bicycling more charges were expected. I wonder why they would say LE told them if LE didn't tell them? Wouldn't multiple MSM articles stating the same info bolster the possible validity of " more charges are expected".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps if ballistics or hatchet (blood and wounds) are showing a possible link to both murders perhaps they have to work out who gets to trial first, CO or IN? Also the car may have transfer DNA in it from either of the murders too.

Could be. I am one who has followed this case from the beginning, likely you have, too. This is is the first inkling I have had the girls may have been killed by something like a hatchet.

Yes, the tests themselves don't take long, but even if you fast track it you have to wait your turn among all the other fast track cases. Depending on where it's sent, the lab may be understaffed and/or under-equipped--is Colorado a state that has its own lab? There may be paperwork issues and questions of who is going to pay for it.

Everything just takes longer than we would like it to. Sigh.

Right, there is meticulous documentation of chain of custody of samples as well as two independent tests for confirmation. What I think is frustrating is that ISP stated themselves that they would have conclusive answers by this week. Makes me wonder if they are having trouble getting a probable cause warrant to obtain the DNA in the first place. Maybe DN's lawyer is putting up a fight about obtaining the sample...it seems strange to be taking so long when ISP said it would be a quick turn around time. It also is possible that DN's involvement in TW's death seems to be in limbo as well. Makes me think there is a lot of legal maneuvering going on that is really slowing things down.MOO. I hope DN does have a good lawyer, it's a constitutionally protected right, for all Americans.

I don't think he is mentally ill........not by judicial standards anyway. Countless convicted defendants have had some kind of mental disorder yet were very capable of carrying out their heinous crimes. Many who did.... did so with careful planning and aforethought.

Although I am not sure how much planning he would have to do in either case. If he is BG and the murderer of the girls, sex offenders are often prepared in case they see an opportunity to strike.

I have read many articles over the years how some sex offenders are always on the prowl looking for their next victim. They will have what they need with them in case they see a victim/s vulnerable and alone. Such as zip ties, ropes, duct tape, and menacing weapons such as a knife or bludgeoning weapon or a gun or all of them.

As far as TW he was ambushed while riding his bike, imo. Planning wouldn't be required nor necessary for him to commit a cold blooded murder. Although if DN is the murderer of TW all he had to do is lay in wait. If so, that would be a premeditated cold blooded homicide.

I think so, too. DN a burgeoning problem, at any rate. His arrests for exposing himself are forefronts to escalation.

The planning didn't have to be as detailed as the shooter in LV. It's just a guy mad at the world and came across *his* perfect opportunity. He carried that weapon everywhere. It seems to me there is so much evidence of a matched personality type, yet no arrest.

Right, there is meticulous documentation of chain of custody of samples as well as two independent tests for confirmation. What I think is frustrating is that ISP stated themselves that they would have conclusive answers by this week. Makes me wonder if they are having trouble getting a probable cause warrant to obtain the DNA in the first place. Maybe DN's lawyer is putting up a fight about obtaining the sample...it seems strange to be taking so long when ISP said it would be a quick turn around time. It also is possible that DN's involvement in TW's death seems to be in limbo as well. Makes me think there is a lot of legal maneuvering going on that is really slowing things down.MOO. I hope DN does have a good lawyer, it's a constitutionally protected right, for all Americans.
Oh, yes, that's entirely possible. I hadn't even thought of legal hassles.

We don't know if he have a mental illness, but you're right with the use of mental illness as defense in court. The police did not reveal how the girls died to prove the theory of sexual abuse.

I think so, too. DN a burgeoning problem, at any rate. His arrests for exposing himself are forefronts to escalation.

The planning didn't have to be as detailed as the shooter in LV. It's just a guy mad at the world and came across *his* perfect opportunity. He carried that weapon everywhere. It seems to me there is so much evidence of a matched personality type, yet no arrest.
I hope that if he is guilty. He must pay, but I feel this is not over yet.

We don't know if he have a mental illness, but you're right with the use of mental illness as defense in court. The police did not reveal how the girls died to prove the theory of sexual abuse.

I think ( not a lawyer though) that it's actually pretty difficult to argue insanity as a defense. My understanding it is used when the defendant admits to the crime, but the defense argues that he/she is so mentally ill that they have lost all sense of right and wrong. Any attempt to cover or conceal the crime would point to the defendant knowing the moral wrong they had committed and then would not be criminally insane... Opinions from legal experts would be great here.

I think ( not a lawyer though) that it's actually pretty difficult to argue insanity as a defense. My understanding it is used when the defendant admits to the crime, but the defense argues that he/she is so mentally ill that they have lost all sense of right and wrong. Any attempt to cover or conceal the crime would point to the defendant knowing the moral wrong they had committed and then would not be criminally insane... Opinions from legal experts would be great here.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member