IN- Carmel - Newborn baby safe after being placed in Safe Haven box

Yes they’ve been expanding! But it would be great if they were nationwide !
This article is from last year but at the time 6 states had them:

Indiana has 104 Safe Haven baby boxes, the most of any state.

A new Indiana law streamlines the placement process for surrendered newborns, bypassing the Department of Child Services, custody and foster families. The fire department has a list of adoption agencies to choose from to see the baby gets adopted. The agency vets and picks the parents.

The bonds that are created endure.
"Our families have come back and celebrated with the firefighters in this very room, and we are celebrating and connected with the baby and loved on the baby and the family, and so the whole circle of life here is wonderful," Moriarty said.

The baby box and its back-up alarm are tested weekly. Pictures of the firefighters' efforts are preserved and kept private, then placed in a baby book given to the child's new parents so there's a record to share with the child in the future.

Safe Haven now has 170 baby boxes in 12 states, 108 in Indiana. Carmel was its seventh baby box to be installed — in 2018 — and is the only one with more than two infants dropped off. Four babies surrendered in less than 18 months is impressive in itself, Kelsey said, but it's even more so considering only 36 infants have been dropped off in the past five years nationwide at Baby Boxes.

The box is on the north side of the firehouse, which faces a grassy lot rather than homes, offering mothers more privacy. The receptacle resembles an oversized package mail drop slot, opening from the outside with the pull of a handle.

Also from the above linked article:

But for the first three years, the drop box was in place at Station No. 345 in Home Place, it went unused except for the occasional prank by neighborhood teens, who would open it to set off the alarm.

Firefighters put an end to those hijinks by giving the culprits a tutorial on the box, stressing its serious purpose. From then on, the only shenanigans came when a litter of kittens was dropped in the receptacle.

“That was progress, I guess," said Moriarty, chief of community relations and firefighting veteran of 42 years. “And we got all of those cats adopted.”

Then in April of 2022, someone dropped off the first baby. A few days later another infant was left, and a third followed the next month.

Also from the above linked article:

But for the first three years, the drop box was in place at Station No. 345 in Home Place, it went unused except for the occasional prank by neighborhood teens, who would open it to set off the alarm.

Firefighters put an end to those hijinks by giving the culprits a tutorial on the box, stressing its serious purpose. From then on, the only shenanigans came when a litter of kittens was dropped in the receptacle.

“That was progress, I guess," said Moriarty, chief of community relations and firefighting veteran of 42 years. “And we got all of those cats adopted.”

Then in April of 2022, someone dropped off the first baby. A few days later another infant was left, and a third followed the next month.
I love how the education of the community has grown.

I love that they found the kittens homes, too.

These boxes save lives. The babies, yes, but also the parents who use them. Not everyone can be or wants to be a parent. This gives people unwilling or unable to access abortion an option that gives everyone a future, and without shame or criminal charges.

MOO

I'm glad the baby is alive, but my issue with these boxes is they can hide trafficking. I know they are intended to be used as a way to surrender a newborn without any punishment, but what if the mother is in danger? What if the father or grandfather of the baby surrenders in order to hide a crime?

I'm glad the baby is alive, but my issue with these boxes is they can hide trafficking. I know they are intended to be used as a way to surrender a newborn without any punishment, but what if the mother is in danger? What if the father or grandfather of the baby surrenders in order to hide a crime?
Do you mean the F or GF hiding the crime of having murdered the baby's mother? In that kind of case I think you'd be really lucky that F or GF didn't murder the baby too whether or not there's a box. MOO JMO
Or am I misunderstanding your point? That's quite possible.

In any case I would rather see the baby put into the safe haven box rather than tossed into the garbage or at the side of the road.

LAWRENCE, Ind. (WISH) — Lawrence Fire Department on Thursday blessed the 191st Safe Haven Baby Boxes installation in the United States.

It’s the 112th installation in Indiana.

Safe Haven Baby Boxes were designed to fill the void in the Safe Haven movement as the only organization in the nation dedicated to providing an anonymous-surrender option for mothers in crisis.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The 28th Safe Haven Baby Box in Kentucky was installed at the Jeffersontown Fire and EMS station.

Thirty-seven infants have been placed in a baby box since 2017, and over 130 surrenders have happened through calls to the National Safe Haven Baby Box Hotline, 1-866-99BABY1, which is available all day every day. The hotline provides counseling services to parents who may be unable or unwilling to care for their newborn.

For a link to the crisis line for Safe Haven Baby Boxes, click here.

Safe Haven Baby Box installed at Jeffersontown Fire station in Louisville

Jan 15, 2024 Updated 18 hrs ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The 28th Safe Haven Baby Box in Kentucky was installed at the Jeffersontown Fire and EMS station.

Thirty-seven infants have been placed in a baby box since 2017, and over 130 surrenders have happened through calls to the National Safe Haven Baby Box Hotline, 1-866-99BABY1, which is available all day every day. The hotline provides counseling services to parents who may be unable or unwilling to care for their newborn.

For a link to the crisis line for Safe Haven Baby Boxes, click here.

Safe Haven Baby Box installed at Jeffersontown Fire station in Louisville

Jan 15, 2024 Updated 18 hrs ago

Sam Tyler was surrendered in May 2022 at a Louisville Fire Department station with a note that said "I love you."

The day Chris and Brittany Tyler heard the news that a newborn baby was surrendered at a Louisville Fire Department station, they sat by their phones hoping they’d get the call to pick him up.

It was May of 2022, and the Tylers — who struggled with fertility for years — were already experienced foster parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back