IN IN - Dr. Promila Mehta-Paul, 70, Munster, 21 March 2011 *Guilty plea to amended charges*

It is so sickening to me that a hard-working elderly person cannot live out their life in peace and free of fear...I am so sad for this woman, whom I fear is not alive, and probably at the hands of a family member, as usual.

So much of the crime here is committed by family and friends, it makes me wonder why everyone is so fearful of random violence, when the danger seems to be far more serious and likely right at home...

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/munster/article_b6403f19-6217-5bed-89b4-1df1112d69b2.html

Police on Tuesday also released additional photos of Mehta-Paul, including photos from the surveillance video and family photos.

bbm
I have not found the surveillance video.

I can only find this pic of her from the surveillance video- when she was making the bank deposit.

doctor-paul-bank-image.jpg

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/29/police-release-new-photos-of-missing-munster-woman/

http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in-san-diego/ex-wife-of-san-diego-children-s-doctor-is-missing

Paul's marriage to Mehta-Paul ended in 1995, but they have been involved in on again and off again legal disputes, every since, according to myFoxchicago. In one legal dispute, Mehta Paul sought payment for hospital and medical expenses and lost wages. Shashi Paul eventually paid more than $17,000 in 2008. They is also the filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court which Mehta-Paul filed in 2009. The battle over the couple's marital assets are still ongoing. In the court documents over a private pension fund that was established, it states:

----

fascinating article. without accusing anyone of anything I find it odd that this court battle of this duration would lead to violence now, i.e. ex-husband to ex-wife.

Dr. Mehta-Paul could have been a target of opportunity, some crackhead looking for fast money with her legal history completely unknown to a street .

I'd be more curious to know to whom her last will and testament leaves her money, whether she made any recent changes to it or had contemplated making any changes to it.

Dive team searches pond for clues in missing doctor case

MUNSTER | A search Thursday of a pond near the home of a missing ophthalmologist from Munster turned up only tires and bottles.

Divers from the Lansing Fire Department scoured Clayhole Lake, which is between Centennial Park and the subdivision where Dr. Promila Mehta-Paul lives.

"We're not going to rest until we bring her home," Munster Police Chief Steve Scheckel said.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/munster/article_fa733692-d05d-5ca5-b009-008eb0b69f80.html

I would be curious to find ot what day her son left to California and why. I am suspicious of an 38 year old with problems with the law living at home with mommy.

I would be curious to find ot what day her son left to California and why. I am suspicious of an 38 year old with problems with the law living at home with mommy.

I don't know the family, but maybe he stayed with his mom because of his problems. Could be.

"Police Chief Steve Scheckel said his investigators have received no new information about Mehta-Paul, although he said a few phone calls from residents reported sightings in the area.

“But we have no solid leads about where she might be,” he said.

Scheckel said police are investigating those tips and others. He confirmed that Mehta-Paul did not leave a suicide note and did not appear to be despondent or sad. “The investigation is not going in that direction at all,” he said. “Suicide has been ruled out.”

He also said no drugs appeared missing from her home or office and she hadn’t made any large financial transactions recently."

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2151424&spid=

"Police Chief Steve Scheckel said his investigators have received no new information about Mehta-Paul, although he said a few phone calls from residents reported sightings in the area.

“But we have no solid leads about where she might be,” he said.

Scheckel said police are investigating those tips and others. He confirmed that Mehta-Paul did not leave a suicide note and did not appear to be despondent or sad. “The investigation is not going in that direction at all,” he said. “Suicide has been ruled out.”

He also said no drugs appeared missing from her home or office and she hadn’t made any large financial transactions recently."

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2151424&spid=

Good grief. Is the police chief saying that there is no suicide, they don't think it is foul play, but her passport might be missing? They don't want to say no or yes.?
There have been sightings in the neighborhood?
What is that? Just the usual kind of sightings after someone goes missing. Did people that know her well recognize her?
Is she hiding out from someone in her past?
Did she leave the country with no word to anyone?

I gather from this article that she did make it home that evening and then both she and her car are now missing.

Somehow I am more confused than before.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/doctor-missing-032711

On Monday afternoon, FOX Chicago News tracked down her ex-husband, Dr. Daman Paul. He said he hasn't seen his ex-wife in 20 years. He was walking out of his own workplace with a computer in his arms, a fact that Munster police found unusual.

Interesting since an article in post #32 states:

"In 2003, Shashi Damon Paul allegedly crashed into his wife’s car along Woodhollow Drive in Schererville, according to a complaint she filed in Lake Superior Court."

What is that? Just the usual kind of sightings after someone goes missing. Did people that know her well recognize her?

this is just my take. the Indian community in NW Indiana is not very large - certainly larger than it was say even 10 years ago, but unless things have changed dramatically since I was last in the area like 5 years ago, I am not aware of any "communities" as such where Indians reside.

my hunch is that while Munster may be more advanced socio-economically, well-meaning locals might be calling the police whenever they see an elderly Indian woman without any knowledge of whether it is Dr. Paul or the wife of the owner of a local convenience store.

Good grief. Is the police chief saying that there is no suicide, they don't think it is foul play, but her passport might be missing? They don't want to say no or yes.?
Is she hiding out from someone in her past?
Did she leave the country with no word to anyone?

I gather from this article that she did make it home that evening and then both she and her car are now missing.

Somehow I am more confused than before.
I don't think foul play has been ruled out, but apparently suicide has, as well as the possibility of robbery for drugs or cash. However, I seriously doubt she is voluntarily missing as she did make the bank deposit that evening, hasn't withdrawn any large amounts of cash, and hasn't left any trail of evidence suggesting she is still alive. I don't take the "sightings" seriously as we know how valid "sightings" haven't been in past cases, starting with Laci........
MOO

1st wife of ex-hubby hanged herself. Wonder why? And, did she REALLY hang herself?

He also said no drugs appeared missing from her home or office and she hadn’t made any large financial transactions recently.

Scheckel said Munster police are conducting a forensic analysis of her computer and hope it offers new evidence.

“We’re in the process of doing all that now,” he said. “It’s taking a while and we don’t have anything revealing yet.”

Scheckel would not comment whether Mehta-Paul faced any large financial obligations or debts and declined to characterize her relationship with her three sons, one of whom recently lived with her. The other two reside out of state. He said police have interviewed all of the sons as well as Mehta-Paul’s ex-husband, pediatrician Shashi Damon Paul, who lives in Schererville and practices in Munster and LaJolla, Calif.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/munster-missing-doctor-dr-promila-mehta-paul-india-husband-divorce-suspects-toyota-rav-4-20110402

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back