Found Deceased IN - Emma McAfee, 2 mos, (mom Rachel found alive), Indianapolis, 4 Mar 2019 *mother arrested*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize the in-laws were 23 miles away. I still have so many questions and there is seemingly no investigation going on about why she was allowed to drive the baby around or why they weren’t reported missing for 12 hours. Sigh.

2. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

It's possible that she was not drunk when she left the house but started drinking when she was in the car with her daughter.

LE found an empty bottle of rum on the floor.

Jmo.

LadyL, MyBelle and Medstudies like this.
  3. BethAnn777

BethAnn777 Well-Known Member

Mom has been found competent to stand trial.

Case Search - MyCase

Near the bottom of the record. An interesting read and timeline.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. BethAnn777

BethAnn777 Well-Known Member

Educator Details

Rachel worked at Eastwood Middle School in Indianapolis as a speech and hearing therapist.

inmyhumbleopinion likes this.
  5. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

This is such a tragic case. I can't imagine the pain the family must be in.

JMO

BethAnn777 and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  6. mistivon

mistivon Verified Insider - Maricela Garcia

@Niner

Pretrial conference set for 7/16

7. MsGazette

MsGazette Just call me Ms G

8. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

I do not understand why an alcoholic with PPD was the one who drove away with Emma!

I do not understand why an alcoholic with PPD was expected to drop off Emma and attend her own intervention!

I do not understand why they were not found within a couple of hours!

There is no excuse. This baby girl should still be alive. I don't think her mother is the only one who should be facing charges here.

Trial of Indianapolis mother charged in baby's freezing death rescheduled

"Rachel was supposed to drop Emma off at John’s parent’s home and then go to an intervention concerning her excessive drinking," Smith wrote.

Instead, prosecutors say Rachel McAfee parked about a block away from her in-laws' home and drank alcohol until she passed out. John McAfee told police his wife abused alcohol and suffered from depression, according to the documents.

9. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Rachel left her house with Emma at 7am and wasn’t reported missing until 7:30pm?
    With her mother that abused alcohol?

cvaldez1975 likes this.
  10. Ksprincess2

Ksprincess2 Well-Known Member

RSBM

I feel like women are just expected to take care of their baby no matter what the circumstances. It's horrifying to me that she had a husband and extended family and this still happened. She needed help, not to be left alone with the baby! Yes it's her fault but I agree does no one else hold any responsibility for the safety of the baby?

A woman I knew had severe postpartum psychosis and had been hospitalized 3 times since the birth of her 3 month old and had just been released from the hospital 3 days prior when she was left alone all day with her toddler and the 3 month old while her husband went to work. She suffocated them both while he was at work. I went to those babies funerals and as horrible as it was that she killed them why was she left alone with them in the first place? She was so sick! It's wasn't reasonable to expect she would have been safe to care for them by herself. I believe husband had to work but he had so many people he could have asked to stay with she and the kids while he was at work.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  11. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you! It makes me very angry. All those extended family members who were aware of the problem are EVERY bit as responsible. It's like being aware of abuse and saying and doing nothing till after someone ends up dead. How are they being overlooked in this prosecution? She was clearly not capable of what they demanded she do. At the very least the father should be responsible as well.

The truth is we have a serious problem in our culture in not taking care of women post partum. I think it stems from expecting women to return to work 6 weeks post partum. Modern medicine is amazing and saves many lives. But it doesn't make is so that women's bodies just magically recover just like that. Women were traditionally taken care of and helped post partum in most cultures. And in this case a woman was falling down drunk but still expected to do all the work pertaining to her newborn. I know it's not the same thing since her alcoholism was not related to her physical health. But she was still unreasonably expected to be the one entirely responsible for her newborn and not her husband and that's just ridiculous!

12. Detectivediva

Detectivediva Well-Known Member

Great points... I think the answer is that just some people do not understand the severity of PPD (especially when paired with alcoholism). It seems easy for most of us to realize that is a recipe for disaster. That poor sweet baby. :(

13. ValhallaWolves

ValhallaWolves Well-Known Member

You nailed it. Postnatal maternal care is ABYSMAL. And until it’s reformed, things like this will keep happening.

I know someone who locked herself out of her house (with her infant in the house) and called 911 because she was having ideations of killing the baby. Unfortunately most women don’t have the ability to do that when in the midst of a psychotic episode.

14. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Well-Known Member

I agree. I have so many questions.

Detectivediva and MimosaMornings like this.
  15. MsFacetious

Even after she left and went missing though..... you guys....
    SHE WAS ONE BLOCK AWAY THE ENTIRE TIME.
    ONE BLOCK.
    24 hours.
    That is easy walking distance.
    When my dog got loose we found him 2 blocks away.
    Even after the monumental error of letting her leave with Emma alone....
    There was still a chance to save Emma.

I need someone to help me understand why the entire family wasn't out searching the neighborhood.
    I need someone to explain to me how they sat ONE BLOCK AWAY for 24 hours while Emma froze to death.
    I will not hold my breath though.

I think child endangerment or neglect charges need to be filed here. I am enraged. Emma was a tiny BABY. She could not turn on the car or wrap herself in a blanket or dump the rum down the drain. Other adults should have intervened and kept Emma safe. That should have been the first priority, period. :mad:

16. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I will tread lightly because the family is a victim but OMG - one block? is anyone in LE taking a serious look at the inactions that day? JMO

17. MsFacetious

12 hours to report them missing.
    One. Freaking. Block. Away. The. Entire. Time.
    They would have been looking for a known vehicle.
    This would not have been a difficult search.
    Why didn't anyone find Emma before it was too late? :(

Trial of Indianapolis mother charged in baby's freezing death rescheduled

.....reported them missing at about 7:30 p.m. March 4, according to the affidavit. He told police that Rachel McAfee had left their far-east-side home with Emma at about 7 a.m. that day.

Instead, prosecutors say Rachel McAfee parked about a block away from her in-laws' home and drank alcohol until she passed out.

18. Ksprincess2

Ksprincess2 Well-Known Member

12.5 hours:(

Kudzuu likes this.
  19. MsFacetious

I don't understand. Where did they think they were? Where did they think Emma was that she was safe for those 12 hours?

Doghairrules and MsGazette like this.