IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before an inmate gets out of prison, a blood DNA sample is taken at least 6 months before release. It is a law in the state of Louisiana. As a Booking and Classification Lt., I taught DNA blood collection as well as administered the testing to submit to the Louisiana State Police Lab. What is done is a simple pricking of the finger of the inmate and blood droplets are dropped onto a very absorbent card with 4 boxes. Each box has to be filled with the droplets. You allow the card to completely dry, then it is placed into a special envelope and sealed with red evidence tape. You initial halfway onto the evidence tape and the envelope so as to show if the envelope has been tampered with before it reaches the lab to be put into Codis. Blood DNA collection cannot be sabotaged, IMO.

The sad thing about it is that too many state labs are way behind entering it into Codis.

MOO

Thank you so much @LaLaw2000 for this!

I have a question if you don't mind. Does this apply to every single Inmate, regardless of the crimes they were convicted of?

Thank you in advance.

Eta:
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Starting Jan. 1, anyone arrested for a felony in Indiana will be required to submit a DNA sample.

Excerpt:

"DNA samples were previously only collected following a felony conviction. The new law will require police to take a cheek swab along with fingerprints from everyone arrested for a felony crime."

Last edited:
I think someone is editing his FB. There’s now no schools/colleges listed. Seems an odd thing to change out of all the things on his page.

the schools and college was/is listed on an older FB page.

Brian Chadwell

From the above link:

Brian Chadwell

Education
*College is listed as Lincoln Memorial University
*High School is listed as Campbell County Comprehensive High School

Places Lived:
*Current city is listed as Jacksboro, TN
*Hometown is listed as La Follette, TN

Thank you so much @LaLaw2000 for this!

I have a question if you don't mind. Does this apply to every single Inmate, regardless of the crimes they were convicted of?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, regardless of whatever crime. If they are in prison (DOC) as opposed to jail (short sentences), they definitely committed a rather serious crime. It also applies to Federal inmates.

MOO

From the above link:

Brian Chadwell

Education
*College is listed as Lincoln Memorial University
*High School is listed as Campbell County Comprehensive High School

Places Lived:
*Current city is listed as Jacksboro, TN
*Hometown is listed as La Follette, TN
Right! Thanks @margarita25 !

There was a post a while back stating he was a graduate of Campbell County Comprehensive HS in 1996

Right! Thanks @margarita25 !

There was a post a while back stating he was a graduate of Campbell County Comprehensive HS in 1996
I was looking for the source on the year 1996 mentioned in the initial post, but couldn’t find the link. If you remember where you saw it, please let me know, thanks, @Medstudies.

Does anyone think that he is going to claim that he did not allow the police to search his house without a warrant?

Also, why in the world would he allow police to search his house...did he think they were going to peek around in his living room and leave?

It’s a good question but I don’t think he will try to argue that here since the victim herself is still able to testify regardless of the search. Search warrant objections are used to suppress the evidence found in the search (like drugs, guns) but here you have a victim who can independently testify as to what happened. It would get into a pretty dark argument on the part of the defense that I don’t think many defense attorneys would try! (ie if you didn’t conduct this illegal search I could have killed the victim and got away with it... awkward)

I think LE would say he invited them in and then they heard a girl crying so they had exigent circumstances to search the basement without a warrant.

Heavy has a lot of his history. I think he was out in SD before that because he had new cases in Indiana?

James Brian Chadwell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

"... He was convicted in Cass County, Indiana for receiving stolen property, a felony, on June 9, 2016. ..
He had an ongoing court case in 2017 for receiving stolen property and probation violation, but no hearings in February 2017. ...his address was given as Kokomo, Indiana. That’s about 34 miles from Delphi. He was sentenced in June 2016. In August 2016, he allegedly violated probation. In November 2016, he was taken to jail and held without bond, but a few days later, the state and probation officer agreed “to an OR release of the defendant from the CCJ.” A hearing was scheduled for April 2017 in the case. ..."

There is so much more at the link - a career criminal IMO. It looks like he was out of jails and prisons in February 2017, and cases in Cass County, Indiana, which is adjacent to Carroll County (Delphi), so he was in the area.

Exactly! <modsnip> you can go right through Delphi coming from the Logansport area to get to Kokomo. So that coupled with all of his outdoor/camping pics leads me to think it’s more than reasonably possible that <modsnip> he spent a significant amount of time in Delphi walking in the parks/trails areas. (I live 9 minutes from Delphi and there’s multiple places to go and walk trails and get deep into the woods around water).

Another significant thing to me is the tattoo on each arm of a girl with blood coming out of her eyes. The little girl that was kidnapped and rescued by the police on April 19 stated that he strangled/choked her until blood came out of her eyes. With that being said he already had the tattoos on his arms of blood coming out of a girls eyes and frankly if that’s not something that he’d done before then how would you know that happens let alone have tattoos of it. If the tattoos are of Libby and Abby, and the details of their murders haven’t been released, then how would he know that they had blood coming out of their eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly! <modsnip> you can go right through Delphi coming from the Logansport area to get to Kokomo. So that coupled with all of his outdoor/camping pics leads me to think it’s more than reasonably possible that <modsnip> he spent a significant amount of time in Delphi walking in the parks/trails areas. (I live 9 minutes from Delphi and there’s multiple places to go and walk trails and get deep into the woods around water).

Another significant thing to me is the tattoo on each arm of a girl with blood coming out of her eyes. The little girl that was kidnapped and rescued by the police on April 19 stated that he strangled/choked her until blood came out of her eyes. With that being said he already had the tattoos on his arms of blood coming out of a girls eyes and frankly if that’s not something that he’d done before then how would you know that happens let alone have tattoos of it. If the tattoos are of Libby and Abby, and the details of their murders haven’t been released, then how would he know that they had blood coming out of their eyes?

If I recall, it was stated somewhere on this thread that the tattoos were done PRIOR to 2017. Moo

Before an inmate gets out of prison, a blood DNA sample is taken at least 6 months before release. It is a law in the state of Louisiana. As a Booking and Classification Lt., I taught DNA blood collection as well as administered the testing to submit to the Louisiana State Police Lab. What is done is a simple pricking of the finger of the inmate and blood droplets are dropped onto a very absorbent card with 4 boxes. Each box has to be filled with the droplets. You allow the card to completely dry, then it is placed into a special envelope and sealed with red evidence tape. You initial halfway onto the evidence tape and the envelope so as to show if the envelope has been tampered with before it reaches the lab to be put into Codis. Blood DNA collection cannot be sabotaged, IMO.

The sad thing about it is that too many state labs are way behind entering it into Codis.

MOO
Don't they also take a DNA swab when a person is arrested for a felony? I thought I read that Indiana started doing this in 2018. So if they didn't already have his DNA in the database, wouldn't they have collected it when he was arrested for a felony around that time? TIA.

ETA. Just saw that this has already been answered, thank you. I'm assuming LE would have known long ago if Chadwell was a match to the DNA profile found at the crime scene. That may not be enough to clear him from being a suspect, though.

Last edited:
BBM. Would a welder go to college?

I work for a welding contractor. Some of our welders have a certificate (vocational type program in high school or local community college), some have a 2 year welding degree from a community college, but most have no schooling and have learned how to weld from on the job training. We have great welders who don't even have a high school diploma. They can make 80-100k per year.

Heavy has a lot of his history. I think he was out in SD before that because he had new cases in Indiana?

James Brian Chadwell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

"... He was convicted in Cass County, Indiana for receiving stolen property, a felony, on June 9, 2016. ..
He had an ongoing court case in 2017 for receiving stolen property and probation violation, but no hearings in February 2017. ...his address was given as Kokomo, Indiana. That’s about 34 miles from Delphi. He was sentenced in June 2016. In August 2016, he allegedly violated probation. In November 2016, he was taken to jail and held without bond, but a few days later, the state and probation officer agreed “to an OR release of the defendant from the CCJ.” A hearing was scheduled for April 2017 in the case. ..."

There is so much more at the link - a career criminal IMO. It looks like he was out of jails and prisons in February 2017, and cases in Cass County, Indiana, which is adjacent to Carroll County (Delphi), so he was in the area.

@margarita25 Much of JCs history in on Heavy. Thanks for dropping it, Sandy.

rsbm (I live 9 minutes from Delphi and there’s multiple places to go and walk trails and get deep into the woods around water).

Do we have an insider joining us? Welcome @ericm

Yikes. Rethinking those two girl tattoos with the tears that may be meant to memorialize L&A, it's no wonder those who encountered the CS, including seasoned officers, were perplexed and thought "what exactly have we got here?" bc they lacked understanding for the distinct signatures, maybe. The visual results of strangulation akin to the 9yo's injuries.

Thank you for the welcome! I’m not necessarily an insider, I just happen to live right outside of Lafayette and am a mailman there and I live 9 minutes from Delphi. I’ve done an enormous amount of reading about the facts regarding Chadwell over the past several days and am obviously very familiar with the entire area since I’m from there. I used to deliver the mail to the route that he was living on when he kidnapped that poor girl. I was on cordial terms with her family as work allowed.

Yikes. Rethinking those two girl tattoos with the tears that may be meant to memorialize L&A, it's no wonder those who encountered the CS, including seasoned officers, were perplexed and thought "what exactly have we got here?" bc they lacked understanding for the distinct signatures, maybe. The visual results of strangulation akin to the 9yo's injuries.

"Blood from the eyes" might be the bizarre feature of the crime scene alluded to but not thus far revealed. How many people knew that that was even a thing?

You probably have to squeeze really, really hard. I'm guessing it isn't encountered all that often. Small petechial hemorrhages, yes. A classic indication. Streams of blood, not so much.

The guy has prison muscles from his life of crime. Go in like Pee Wee Herman, come out like Hercules.

He had that image tattooed onto his arm?? Some combination of taunting, death wish, and chutzpah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann