GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #3

Wonderful news. I do hope parole is not an option, as if so it could be less than 20 years (if I understand the parole system, about 1/3 of sentence if he is a good prisoner). 20 years is not enough. Hopefully the 55 means 55. He'd most likely die in prison and even if released he'd be too old to cause problems for anybody.

Wonderful news. I do hope parole is not an option, as if so it could be less than 20 years (if I understand the parole system, about 1/3 of sentence if he is a good prisoner). 20 years is not enough. Hopefully the 55 means 55. He'd most likely die in prison and even if released he'd be too old to cause problems for anybody.

That is "if" he is capable of being a good prisoner. He has a long history of showing that he doesn't like to follow the rules.

There are rules for parolees also. They have to check in with their parole officer, etc. And if he did get out at age 56 - whose problem would he be? Who would support him? Hopefully he would land in his brother's lap.

There are rules for parolees also. They have to check in with their parole officer, etc. And if he did get out at age 56 - whose problem would he be? Who would support him? Hopefully he would land in his brother's lap.

Unless his brother ends up serving time for his possible involvement in this crime? If he got out at age 56 he'd be likely unemployable, and therefore a potential problem for the community where he lives. Hopefully he's a hothead in jail, and ruin any chance of getting out early.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji1316][emoji1316][emoji106][emoji106][emoji1316][emoji1316]

#JusticeForMelinda

Steven was the only beneficiary. When he was asked if baby girl should be the secondary beneficiary, he said no. He is still alive. It was never proven that the policy was the motive. The prosecution said they didn't know what the motive was, but suspected the policy had something to do with it. I remember at the time thinking they were smart to let the jury draw their own conclusions.

So - wouldn't they theoretically have to pay Steven?

Only *if* she died of natural causes, accident, etc. There are laws on the books that prevent people from collecting insurance payouts (beneficiary or not) from people they have murdered.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/crime-...cle_e449998b-4d0f-5b57-8022-f5f4eb792a95.html

VALPARAISO — Steven Lindsey showed no obvious reaction Friday morning when he was sentenced to 55 years behind bars for shooting and killing his wife last year as she lay in bed at the couple's home along Ind. 149 in Center Township.

Porter Superior Court Judge Bill Alexa rejected Lindsey's continued claim of innocence when giving him the mid-range sentence of which he is required to serve 75 percent of the time.

"The evidence showed otherwise," Alexa said.

Lindsey, 36, declined the opportunity to comment before sentencing, but later told the judge he intends to appeal.

<modsnip>

--------------------

so, he can get out after doing 75% of the time...let's do the math....less than 45 years IF he is a good good boy.

so, he can get out after doing 75% of the time...let's do the math....less than 45 years IF he is a good good boy.
So if he is a very, very, very good boy he will get out when he is 77.

I doubt seriously SL will be a model prisoner. He has documented history of inability to follow rules. Prison is serious, and he will be expected to behave or be placed in solitary commonly referred to as the hole. He isn't a victem, regardless of his perception.
Prison life will not be good, it is intended as punishment for an action.
I do feel bad for both his children. Kids don't deserve this type of reality.

Justice for Melinda

Yes, I do feel awful for his two children, and those who are raising them, who have to explain to young children what their father did. That being said, since he was such a dysfunctional human being to begin with his absence in his kid's lives might be a blessing.

I want to take a moment out to say thank you all who have followed this case, thank you for showing support towards the family and friends.
thank you for the prayers and positive thoughts throughout this entire rollercoaster ride
Thank you each for your opinions and input for both sides.
Thank you to the ones who even hoped for SL to be proven innocent in hopes that baby girl would have at least one parent.
thank you for everyone who donated towards the lawyer fees (which put the kirby almost 20 grand in debt, so if anyone wants to donate or even just pass along the information, please contact me in a private message)
I will also be opening up the justice for Melinda page back up on Facebook for anyone who wants to join.
thank you all for the motivating words when it was time for me to testify
thank you for hanging in there when i was keeping quite on the page and wasn't allowed to talk about the trial, just know i always kept up with everything
Thank you to the ones who believed the information that I was passing along was truth (to my knowing) and never doubting nor attacking me, if things were a little twisted around.

Most of all thank you all for being good hearted people, it reminds me that not everyone out there is scum, and that there are still good people left in this world.

There will never be such a thing as Melinda her family/friends having full justice for our loss, however knowing that Steve is behind bars for the next 55 years (lets face it, he can only play "nice/good" for a short time, his true colors will show) is mind settling, at least Baby girl is safe from him, his ex wife and son are safe from him, friends/family are safe from him. Melinda will always hold a big space in my heart, she showed me that true unconditional friendship does exist, that selflessness is a quality that some people do indeed possess. She showed me that BLOOD doesn't make you family.
I
With all of this being said, I do want to say one more thing in this post..
I
if you ever see a friend/stranger/loved one/anyone in an abusive mentally/physically
abusive relationship, never be sacred to step up and say something. even if you think that it might upset them. you never know, you could save them without
Even knowing it.
ALWAYS remember to tell those you love and care for, what they mean to you, never leave anything unsettled or mad, remember that words do hurt. Tomorrow is not promised, so take full advantage of today!

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING.

Forever grateful,

Brandi Renee

Melinda.jpg

Brandi Renee
Your post brought tears to my eyes. You will carry the love & friendship of Melinda in your heart forever. I'm sure I am old enough to be your Grandma, and I have had the pleasure of many true friendships in my life. Let your loss of Melinda be an ever present reminder to express your love to those in your life. No regrets

Tomorrow is never promised.

So if he is a very, very, very good boy he will get out when he is 77.

I think his arrogance will continue to haunt him. But, on the off-chance he manages to behave himself in prison, does anyone know if Indiana allows victim impact statements at parole hearings? In California, they do and the victims are allowed to speak last at the parole hearings.

Brandi Renee,

What you wrote was so touching. It has been a real experience following this case from the start, with everything that happened, and in the process I have felt as if I got know Melinda, you and Melinda's family (and SL) just a little. Enough so that I knew he was responsible and there were times I could hardly contain my sentiments about that on this forum.

You have proven to be a beautiful friend to Melinda and to her family. I hope the future brings you much happiness and joy!

Molly

Set Her Soul Free (btw I love your moniker), that was a lovely testament to your friend, but also to you. You stood by her when she could no longer stand up for herself. You garnered a lot of good karma for your friend, and a lot of interest (and bad karma?) on SL. He hurt so many people, but sounds like even though he could have broken you, you stood strong and made sure that justice was done. Nobody could bring your friend back, but nobody could have honored her the way that you and her loved ones did.

I've been interested in this thread from early on. I am pleased with this long-awaited end result. He says he's going to appeal, hopefully they say NO. But if the appeal does happen I am confident he will fail.

He says he's going to appeal, hopefully they say NO. But if the appeal does happen I am confident he will fail.
He says he is going to appeal, but lawyers don't work for free. I hope whoever has been paying for this is either tapped out or has seen the light. I don't want him to have any hope at all of ever walking free again.

Set Her Soul Free (btw I love your moniker), that was a lovely testament to your friend, but also to you. You stood by her when she could no longer stand up for herself. You garnered a lot of good karma for your friend, and a lot of interest (and bad karma?) on SL. He hurt so many people, but sounds like even though he could have broken you, you stood strong and made sure that justice was done. Nobody could bring your friend back, but nobody could have honored her the way that you and her loved ones did.

I've been interested in this thread from early on. I am pleased with this long-awaited end result. He says he's going to appeal, hopefully they say NO. But if the appeal does happen I am confident he will fail.

your post broguht tears to my eyes, thank you so much.

Everyone else has already captured my sentiments, so I'll only say that I think you have been Melinda's angel throughout this ordeal. You have never wavered from your quest for justice and I am touched by your deep devotion for your friend. My continued prayers and good thoughts to you, her daughter and her family and friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevi4200
Back