GUILTY IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

Well what I notice is that they rarely actually do what they can to seek custody. For example, in my state it would be a guardianship petition. But instead they might do something like just call child protective services.
I live in texas here you have to call cps first before applying for guardian ship...at least that's what a police officer told us when my friends grandbaby was taken by his dad....

Agreed. That’s typical of almost all addicts. They become supreme narcissists for some reason.

That's not true about addicts I've come across. A neighbor & numerous co-workers at various jobs who all ended up fired - they were all clearly depressed, ashamed, and hopeless. I never thought of any of them as narcisstic.
Only one was male, though, and I felt he was struggling with undiagnosed ASD.
None were violent criminals, as far as I know, just completely hooked on alcohol and/ or drugs to get by.

That's not true about addicts I've come across. A neighbor & numerous co-workers at various jobs who all ended up fired - they were all clearly depressed, ashamed, and hopeless. I never thought of any of them as narcisstic.
Only one was male, though, and I felt he was struggling with undiagnosed ASD.
None were violent criminals, as far as I know, just completely hooked on alcohol and/ or drugs to get by.

I have seen narcissistic traits in the addicts I have known. Most specifically these traits:
---A grandiose sense of self-importance
---Preoccupation with fantasies
---Has a sense of entitlement
---Is interpersonally exploitative – takes advantage of others
---Lacks empathy
---Envies others or believes others are envious of him or her
---Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors and attitudes

Sense of self importance as in their needs are utmost priority, even if they have to steal from grandma's wallet
Takes advantage of everyone, lacks empathy for loved ones they lie to and steal from
Arrogance, and envious, even bitterness

Many have been following the search for Mercedes in a Facebook group called ‘Where is Mercedes Lain?’ - since the news of her death Thursday morning residents are now using the page to seek justice.

“This little baby seeing her precious face I think and it just it really sucks I mean it. We were at 3,500 members and in less than 48 hours," said Katelyn Warner, Facebook Group Founder and Vigil Organizer.

“You know people want to see change. They want to seek you know justice and it’s informing them you know you wanna help children. So there’s you know connecting the community with ways that they can help and use that energy in a positive way," said Warner.

“We’re gonna be packing all this up tomorrow and taking all this to the candlelight and giving it to the family. They said that they really appreciated it and it’s a memorial isn’t really first thing on their minds right now so I was glad I was able to start it for 'em," said Allen.

There will be a candlelight vigil starting at 8 pm Saturday in Centennial Park and community members have also started a petition with the hopes of holding Marshall County DCS responsible for negligence in this case. You can sign that petition here.
Community members use social media to seek justice for 11-month-old Mercedes Lain

DCS told us via email that the most important thing to know about filing a report is that anyone who suspects abuse or neglect can and should call the Indiana Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-800-5556.

It’s available 24/7, 365 days a year, and reports can be made anonymously. You can find more information in the first link below.

Hotline Process – https://www.in.gov/dcs/files/Hotline_Process.pdf

Reviewing Intake Report - http://208.40.244.65/dcs/files/4.01 Review of Intake Report.pdf

Closing Cases - https://www.in.gov/dcs/files/5.12-Closing-a-CHINS-Case.pdf

Petition calls for investigation of DCS following death of 11-month-old baby

Last edited:
For the second time in six years, a child’s death has ties to a Plymouth motel.

Mayor Mark Senter told 16 News Now that officials plan to meet next week to discuss the situation.

The Marshall County sex offender registry lists seven individuals who list the Economy Inn in Plymouth as their address.

The website notes that two of the offenders committed their crimes against children.

In September of 2015, two-year-old Serenity Wilson was beaten to death at the Economy Inn as punishment for bed wetting that was doled out by her mother’s boyfriend
Plymouth motel linked to multiple child death cases

Mayor Mark Senter told 16 News Now that officials plan to meet next week to discuss the situation.

The Marshall County sex offender registry lists seven individuals who list the Economy Inn in Plymouth as their address.

The website notes that two of the offenders committed their crimes against children.

In September of 2015, two-year-old Serenity Wilson was beaten to death at the Economy Inn as punishment for bed wetting that was doled out by her mother’s boyfriend

Imagine living there let alone with children?

"Reached by phone, Angie Owens, Coburn’s mother, sounded both disconsolate and infuriated about her granddaughter’s fate, saying that she refuses to “protect” Lain and Coburn even though they’re family.

“They are definitely not good parents,” Owens told The Daily Beast. “They didn’t need to have a child.”

“We tried everything in our power to get this baby taken away from them,” Owens continued. “We have called [child protective services] many times. There's nothing more that we could have done than what we did. We have gone beyond our power in doing what we could to help this baby.”

[...]

Owens said she holds Lain and Coburn responsible for Mercedes’ death “by giving the child to him,” meaning Miller, but, “As far as them being involved in the murder part, we don’t believe they were involved in that,” adding the caveat that murder charges have not been laid.

“We aren’t saying they were good parents, because they weren't,” Owens again emphasized. “We are grieving so bad throughout this time.”

Grandma Slams Own Daughter After Baby’s Mystery Death in Woods
I believe if I were a grandma and saw this situation I would have taken the baby- parents probably wouldn’t even know it …
Jmo

I believe if I were a grandma and saw this situation I would have taken the baby- parents probably wouldn’t even know it …
Jmo
Exactly. I know I would have. Maybe her home wasn’t properly set up at the time or she had to work. Or or or etc.
After reading the article - I’m not sure which emotion is rising to the top for her. Anger? Regret? Grief? Anger becomes a motivator for some - which may be the catalyst for Grandma agreeing to speak to the DB. Me, myself and I would have spoken out at the very beginning; though now we know, it wouldn’t have kept Baby Mercedes alive. Could Mercede’s death spark a fire within to make a difference? I hope so. The grief will soon set in though and by then she might not even be able to rise from her chair.
RIP baby girl.

[/QUOTE
unbelievable pedophiles,and hard core druggies allowed to live with children. What law is on the books that is so permissive as to endanger children. When are the children's rights going to be considered over that????????????????

Do these offenders not have probation or parole checks? Aren't there laws restricting how close RSOs can live from children or is that only re: schools, playgrounds,etc? Did the fact that it was a motel where families with kids would theoretically only be staying short-term as opposed to residing allow the RSOs to live there , therefore allowing them an ever changing supply of new children? As it sounds like a high crime area or certainly an area jam-packed with offenders and potential victims, was this not a regular place for law enforcement to patrol regularly?

unbelievable pedophiles,and hard core druggies allowed to live with children. What law is on the books that is so permissive as to endanger children. When are the children's rights going to be considered over that????????????????

This very easily was about to push me down a rabbit hole (and I did start) but in the interest of staying on topic and not wanting to get in trouble, I won't start posting laws and anecdotes about RSOs living in motels with kids ONLY because in this case, it wasn't an unknown druggie or sex offender, but a well known family member /druggie who the parents handed Mercedes over to.
I am comfortable making the assumption that these parents wouldn't check - or care - about Sex offenders -registered or not and drug users or not living in close proximity to their child at this motel.

This very easily was about to push me down a rabbit hole (and I did start) but in the interest of staying on topic and not wanting to get in trouble, I won't start posting laws and anecdotes about RSOs living in motels with kids ONLY because in this case, it wasn't an unknown druggie or sex offender, but a well known family member /druggie who the parents handed Mercedes over to.
I am comfortable making the assumption that these parents wouldn't check - or care - about Sex offenders -registered or not and drug users or not living in close proximity to their child at this motel.
Well the law needs to change that it's disgusting what these people are allowed to do. MOO

Many have been following the search for Mercedes in a Facebook group called ‘Where is Mercedes Lain?’ - since the news of her death Thursday morning residents are now using the page to seek justice.

“This little baby seeing her precious face I think and it just it really sucks I mean it. We were at 3,500 members and in less than 48 hours," said Katelyn Warner, Facebook Group Founder and Vigil Organizer.

“You know people want to see change. They want to seek you know justice and it’s informing them you know you wanna help children. So there’s you know connecting the community with ways that they can help and use that energy in a positive way," said Warner.

“We’re gonna be packing all this up tomorrow and taking all this to the candlelight and giving it to the family. They said that they really appreciated it and it’s a memorial isn’t really first thing on their minds right now so I was glad I was able to start it for 'em," said Allen.

There will be a candlelight vigil starting at 8 pm Saturday in Centennial Park and community members have also started a petition with the hopes of holding Marshall County DCS responsible for negligence in this case. You can sign

DCS told us via email that the most important thing to know about filing a report is that anyone who suspects abuse or neglect can and should call the Indiana Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-800-5556.

It’s available 24/7, 365 days a year, and reports can be made anonymously. You can find more information in the first link below.

Hotline Process – https://www.in.gov/dcs/files/Hotline_Process.pdf

Reviewing Intake Report - http://208.40.244.65/dcs/files/4.01 Review of Intake Report.pdf

Closing Cases - https://www.in.gov/dcs/files/5.12-Closing-a-CHINS-Case.pdf

Petition calls for investigation Sign me up.

The ear also seems a bit discolored to me. Either bruising around the top or I wonder if she could've already been deceased at this time?? What a horrible thought. :(

Everything about this poor child's life sickens me to the core but that photo JM posted on Saturday morning is especially disturbing.

As you mentioned there is discolouration to several areas of her ear that makes me fear this picture was taken after she had died. What really bothers me though is the piece of material (dressing gown ?) that looks like it has been strategically placed over her mouth so that her lips and the area above her lips cannot be seen.

Having lost a baby myself I know that the colour of the lips and area above the lips after death has occurred is unmistakable and pretty obvious.

Bless her little heart ♡

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back